Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Misogynist posted:

I always thought it was hilariously self-aware and very Garm, because every time you get acoustic guitars kicking in, like at the 1:02 mark in "Hymne I - Wolf and Fear", they're perfectly recorded and perfectly mastered.

This is my favorite thing with more than a few black metal albums I've heard, where they actually start with the crystal clear acoustic guitar and then go into the KVLT sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Olibu posted:

At least the alternative mix of Emperor will be cool. Remasters are rarely ever worth it, unless the mastering in the first place was just that loving bad, and there's usually very little chance a modern master won't be loud as gently caress.

All remasters of ItNE have been kinda bad. The lovely guitars sound way better on the original master

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Sweet, thanks for the tip! I gently caress'in love these guys. I think they're been opening for Midnight and Pentagram in the VA and DC area soon. I didn't even know they were preparing to release another full length.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I would go to so many shows. Nashville sucks so bad for metal.

About the best I've seen coming up is Truckfighters at overpriced one fest (with a bunch of terrible bands) and Graveyard. Not really metal but still would be cool to see (won't be able to go to either of those)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Trying to decide if I want to go to this. €140 is kinda a lot of money.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The one thing that shits me off about the New England Metal & Hardcore Fest (besides the fact that it's in Worcester, which is basically a shithole) is that loving Iced Earth is headlining on the same day Nile is playing.

So naturally I'm going the day Behemoth is headlining instead.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Gaggins posted:

Nattens Madrigal is probably the worst (MOST TRVE KVLT) recording I've ever heard, which sucks because the music is awesome. If you can't deal with it definitely check out Bergtatt. I've been trying to accept Nattens Madrigal as it is for so many years now but it's there's too much loving static.

Agreed, the music itself is great, but Garm (allegedly) wanted to troll his record label so they recorded the album on a child's cassette player or some poo poo. If this remaster is able to tone some of that poo poo down so you can actually hear what's going on it might be worth picking up. Their first two LPs are already great, Bergtatt is folk metal and Kveldssanger is straight acoustic folk music, both very well done.

They then proceeded to go off the experimental deep end with the industrial William Blake thing, which did have some neat ideas but should have been 40 minutes max, 2xCDs is just dumb. Perdition City is full on electronic music and is quite well done if you're not still looking for metal from them, but nothing that's come afterwards has held my attention. I would say their most interesting material is definitely contained in those first 3 albums, so I do want to hear how they did with the remasters.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I would go to so many shows. Nashville sucks so bad for metal.

As someone 2 hours from Nashville I agree so much with this. Pretty much Atlanta is the only place close that has shows, and it's a pain to get there.

Gaggins posted:

Nattens Madrigal is probably the worst (MOST TRVE KVLT) recording I've ever heard, which sucks because the music is awesome. If you can't deal with it definitely check out Bergtatt. I've been trying to accept Nattens Madrigal as it is for so many years now but it's there's too much loving static.

Sounds like you aren't very trve if that's the most kvlt thing you've heard.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
The worst metal recording is probably some primitive stuff like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqytLX_iZck

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Saw the Decibel tour last night, was real good. Jeff Walker is an awesome frontman. I feel like I would've really liked Noisem if I could've heard anything but drums and vocals.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Ulver pretty much rules how can you not enjoy this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIrhUneRifA

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

MrBling posted:

Go to Kill town death fest in September instead. http://www.killtowndeathfest.dk/?page_id=299

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I'd go to that just because of Mitochondrion. Incredible band.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
They've not even announced a headliner yet. The lineup is always insane, I mean, God Macabre, Imprecation and Moondark alone would be an absolutely "once in a lifetime" show... but they're kind of just going to names amongst names at that festival. It's really cheap too.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Guess I know what I'm doing next time I'm in Denmark.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
How the gently caress did Twisted Sister get second billing?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

So yeah we recorded an album and here's a teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQBRGSgo6Hg

It'll hopefully come out in the near-future (haven't got a publisher yet)

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I really like the part where you use the same drum schema as literally any other metal band in the universe and also scream into a microphone

edit: the familiarity means I'm more likely to buy it, plus, it's Goon Made

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds pretty decent to me. Couple really strong riffs in there and I like the vocals. Good luck with it man, hope you guys find a way to get it published.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Brain In A Jar posted:

I really like the part where you use the same drum schema as literally any other metal band in the universe and also scream into a microphone

edit: the familiarity means I'm more likely to buy it, plus, it's Goon Made

Creativity is passé as hell

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

The Clit Avoider posted:

Go to Kill town death fest in September instead. http://www.killtowndeathfest.dk/?page_id=299

Ooh, will definitely have to keep that in mind. Also lol at it being a vegan festival.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Ulver pretty much rules how can you not enjoy this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIrhUneRifA

What in the world did I just watch?

So anyway, I was listening to Decapitated's Nihility and I found myself wondering what, if anything, Vogg ended up doing. This has probably already come up but if anyone else hasn't seen it, it's more Decapitated, but uhm. How to put this... it's simultaneously one of the happiest and saddest death metal music videos I've ever seen. It's sort of a spiritual successor to "Headbanging while making fire" imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Wpo8j1Ta0

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Art.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

So anyway, I was listening to Decapitated's Nihility and I found myself wondering what, if anything, Vogg ended up doing. This has probably already come up but if anyone else hasn't seen it, it's more Decapitated, but uhm. How to put this... it's simultaneously one of the happiest and saddest death metal music videos I've ever seen. It's sort of a spiritual successor to "Headbanging while making fire" imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1Wpo8j1Ta0

Christ, Vitek was only 23. I miss his drumming. That video, though, is art. It's like the old Immortal videos where it's just Abbath headbanging in a field somewhere shot on someone's camcorder.

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012
Anyone mention the Contrarian EP with the Mithras guy in it? It is really good.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

MrBling posted:

Haha what the hell is Bad Religion doing in there?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Haha what the hell is Bad Religion doing in there?

Playing lame christmas hair metal with Twisted Sister or weak rear end radio goth rock like Within Temptation now?

There's some really weird choices on that billing. The bottom acts have some cool poo poo though, Tyr, Mercenary, Taake? I'd go for them. Not to mention Behemoth and Maiden.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

Stoat posted:

A man who does not like Judgement.

A shameful man.

(I liked their last album and am hype as a kite for the next one I have no shame)

I'm not big on Judgement but I loved A Natural Diaster and We're Here Because We're Here. Weather Systems was a bit too cute for me.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

m-o-o-n posted:

So yeah we recorded an album and here's a teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQBRGSgo6Hg

It'll hopefully come out in the near-future (haven't got a publisher yet)
Awesome, I'll definitely buy a copy when it's available

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
I saw Dillinger Escape Plan last night and I can honestly say it was one of the best sounding shows I've been to in a long time. The mix between the instruments was really impressive and the stage presence was incredible, too. Not a big DEP fan, but the show was entertaining and well worth the money.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Has anyone listened to Pyrrhon's The Mother of Virtues yet? It's reminding me a lot of Obscura-era Gorguts.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I know they're usually fodder for the stoner/sludge/doom thread, but the new Boris song is kind of...approaching thrash metal?

https://soundcloud.com/sargent-house/boris-quicksilver/

Whatever, I dig it.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Takes No Damage posted:

If this remaster is able to tone some of that poo poo down so you can actually hear what's going on it might be worth picking up.

Sounds like wimp talk to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRRz3ZGHkrM

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

MrBling posted:

Black Book Lodge is pretty good but a lot of the openers are pretty average quality filler for a 140 euro show.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Friends Are Evil posted:

Has anyone listened to Pyrrhon's The Mother of Virtues yet? It's reminding me a lot of Obscura-era Gorguts.

Yeah. It's one of my favorite albums of the year so far.

Also, the new Triptykon is officially out and it is crushing my skull.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 14, 2014

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also, the new Triptykon is officially out and it is crushing my skull.

Came here to post the same thing. I thought Goetia was as good of an opening track as you could write, and then they proved me wrong. Tom & crew, come tour the States and take all my money.

Lord Purple
Mar 7, 2006

Remove your eyes...
How can it be bad with a title like "Tree of Suffocating Souls"? It's probably the most Celtic Frost-y song Tom has done since the mid-80s.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Shane Gibson, of Korn and stOrk fame, evidently passed away today at 35 years old due to complications from a blood clotting disorder. RIP guitar man, his riffs were awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKJJchrbdkE

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Came here to post the same thing. I thought Goetia was as good of an opening track as you could write, and then they proved me wrong. Tom & crew, come tour the States and take all my money.

I thought it got a bit too plodding and same-y, especially on the back half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Demon Pact's the definite highlight on Melana Chasmata so far. Getting some serious Through Silver In Blood vibes from it.