Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm spent on COD but the jet pack/giant robot thing is enough to make me want to dust off my Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Really? Given that the disc drive is usually the first part to fail, I find it weird that anyone would force users to run a game from the disc. I still have a first gen Xbox and I install everything, I'm terrified of the drive crapping out.

Another reason to give titanfall a miss I suppose (I'll just be over here in the corner trying to get through my massive backlog of games).

A few games do legitimately fall apart if you try to run them entirely from the same data source. Both the 360 and PS3 have a handful of titles that expect to be able to stream from two data sources. Of course, the 360 can also run stuff from USB so blocking installs at all is kind of a dick move in that regard. They've patched in the ability to install some older games like Crackdown, hopefully this one will follow suit.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

NESguerilla posted:

I'm spent on COD but the jet pack/giant robot thing is enough to make me want to dust off my Xbox.

Yeah I wasn't really intrigued by what I had heard pre-release of the xbone version but watching gameplay I kind of want to play it. Summoning giant robots (which you can either pilot or have run off AI), unique weapons, parkour/wall running, jetpacks combined with AI fodder in matches all seem to play out really nicely. My disc drive doesn't work every day though so it's not going to happen. I need to commit to buying a new system. I might grab the pc version when/if it gets cheap.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hat Thoughts posted:

Your xbox is gonna overheat long before any disc drive issues
I've personally run into more people with dead DVD drives than RROD'd xboxes. I've personally repaired 3 DVD drives, and my dad fixed his on his own. I've never bothered to fix anyone's RROD because I won't do work I can't gaurantee to last.

Ejectable disc drives are one of the few moving parts on a console though, and they do fail. I've seen the open/close button fail a couple times, the others just quit outright.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Comic posted:

Yeah I wasn't really intrigued by what I had heard pre-release of the xbone version but watching gameplay I kind of want to play it. Summoning giant robots (which you can either pilot or have run off AI), unique weapons, parkour/wall running, jetpacks combined with AI fodder in matches all seem to play out really nicely. My disc drive doesn't work every day though so it's not going to happen. I need to commit to buying a new system. I might grab the pc version when/if it gets cheap.

It actually has a really disappointing number of non-standard weaponry.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Ejectable disc drives are one of the few moving parts on a console though, and they do fail. I've seen the open/close button fail a couple times, the others just quit outright.
Mine scared the poo poo out of me the other day by not opening. I got it open using a paperclip and has been OK since, but that was a brief, heartbreaking moment right there.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

My 360's disc drive stopped wanting to open in the vertical position so now it's horizontal but still takes a few tries sometimes. I'mma be annoyed when it quits entirely.

I've been trying to finish out my backlog and not buy any more 360 games on disc.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I have to open mine with a butter knife. At least it reads discs though!

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Mine opens fine, but doesn't read discs unless the stars are in alignment. This was after a year of it not working at all and forgetting I had a disc in there... then one day it prompted me to play it on the dashboard and I finally played something that wasn't halo 4 (It's all I can fit on my hard drive digitally) or netflix. It works every now and then too, no idea what's up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One of my friends has an external HDDVD drive for his 360. No idea where he got it but he got it for that precise reason - his drive was buggered, and it was cheaper than getting the 360 repaired.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

One of my friends has an external HDDVD drive for his 360. No idea where he got it but he got it for that precise reason - his drive was buggered, and it was cheaper than getting the 360 repaired.

Those actually run games?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aphrodite posted:

Those actually run games?
Well it was an official accessory put out by Microsoft, wasn't it? I'd assume it would have to meet that specification (in addition to playing HD-DVD movies) before it was released.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well it was an official accessory put out by Microsoft, wasn't it? I'd assume it would have to meet that specification (in addition to playing HD-DVD movies) before it was released.

Why would it have to do that? It's an add-on, not a replacement. (And if it does do that then why the gently caress didn't coolest-avatar-having goon Soi-hah use the loving thing when we were trying to play Rock Band and the disc wouldn't load until like the 40000th time?)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wikipedia says it doesn't read game discs. Maybe the friend uses it for movies?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The speed, mostly. Wasn't HD DVD slower than DVD?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Because nobody knows it exists. I didn't know it existed until I happened to know someone who has one.

e: just texting him now.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 12, 2014

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Because nobody knows it exists. I didn't know it existed until I happened to know someone who has one.

A lot of people bought them when they were being phased out because it was cheaper than just buying the Xbox 360 media remote.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hat Thoughts posted:

Do you want to play Call Of Duty except with Big Robots and stuff y/n

Except they're not very similar at all beyond pointing guns at people and shooting, the movement system alone kicks ten kinds of poo poo out of CoD.

Now this isn't an attack on you so please don't take it as such, but I find it funny when some people call it CoD with mechs and mean it as a bad thing. Even though the game is made by the people who made the good CoD games.

So did anyone ever play Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z? Seems like it came out and nobody cared.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They also made Patient Zero of the bad ones.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Alteisen posted:

So did anyone ever play Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z? Seems like it came out and nobody cared.

It reviewed terribly, which everyone expected to happen all along, so it sank without a trace.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Wikipedia says it doesn't read game discs. Maybe the friend uses it for movies?
In his words, 'just DVDs and HD-DVDs to save on the main drive'

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That makes sense. Reduce the wear on the main drive by only playing games off it.

I think a few goons actually bought them for that when stores were clearing them out for $25.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I'm one of those that picked up a 360 recently and have never played any Gears of War games. Should I buy them all while on sale, or is it even worth going back to the first one?

Help me Xbox 360 thread, you're my only hope!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

beerinator posted:

I'm one of those that picked up a 360 recently and have never played any Gears of War games. Should I buy them all while on sale, or is it even worth going back to the first one?

There aren't that many co-op shooters around (Halos, Borderlandses... what else?) so they've got that going for them.

e: Oh I just parsed your question correctly. I haven't played anything beyond two and it was basically the same as the first one.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Uhh, there are loads of co-op shooters on xbox..?

Dross posted:

My 360's disc drive stopped wanting to open in the vertical position so now it's horizontal but still takes a few tries sometimes. I'mma be annoyed when it quits entirely.

I've been trying to finish out my backlog and not buy any more 360 games on disc.
The replacement disk drives were like 30 bucks the last time I checked.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

coyo7e posted:

Uhh, there are loads of co-op shooters on xbox..?

Well gently caress. What are they?

e: Oh yeah Mercenaries 2. That doesn't work nowadays though does it? Since EA killed the servers? Other games on the Wikipedia list are mostly poo poo Multi-Player Only and There's No Real Co-Op Just a Tacked-On Thing No-One Would Ever Want To Play.

ee: Oh poo poo Perfect Darks too of course.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 12, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dead Island, Left 4 Dead, Fuse, the last 3 Saints Rows, Halo.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Just from my collection, there's the borderlands games, army of two, halo series, rainbow 6 Vegas and unreal tournament. And yes, Perfect Dark.

The missus and I love split screen co-op, but it's a bit of a dying breed when companies can sell two online co-op copies instead of one real life sociable copy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jerry Cotton posted:

You're a loving idiot. I could literally list twenty co-operative first person shooters in response to your snarky and ill-informed assertion. Which weren't already named.. Of course you already hand-waved away a couple dozen titles but nobody really cares about your opinions if you're this dumb.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 12, 2014

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

coyo7e posted:

[quote="Jerry Cotton" post="428223196"]
You're a loving idiot. I could literally list twenty co-operative first person shooters in response to your snarky and ill-informed assertion. Which weren't already named.. Of course you already hand-waved away a couple dozen titles but nobody really cares about your opinions if you're this dumb.

Then do so oh wise one.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Nope, I'm hand-waving it away because you're an idiot, and I want to take a nap instead.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Dead Island, Left 4 Dead, Fuse, the last 3 Saints Rows, Halo.

Army of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th DayArmy of Two: the 40th Day

FIST BUMP

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011
Co-op Shooters With Online Campaign Stuff That are At Least semi Decent. Includes 3rd Persons\

Full List http://www.co-optimus.com/system/1/xbox360.html

50 Cent
Army of Two
Call Of Duty(FPS)
Gears
Halo (FPS)
EDF2017/2025
Borderlands(FPS)
Dead Island(FPS)
Defiance(MMO)
Fear 3(FPS)
Far Cry 3(FPS)
Left 4 Dead 1/2(FPS)
Kane and Lynch
Lost Planet 2
Resident Evil 5/6
Resident Evil Racoon City
Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2
Payday 2(FPS)
Rage(FPS)
Spec Ops the Line
Splinter Cell
Unreal Tournament(FPS)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Me and my brother where under the impression that the original Army of Two was better than 40th day. Then i recently rented it again because there was nothing else i wanted. We both rescinded that opinion pretty quickly. Even with 40th Day's flaws (the ending oh god) it's still a much better game, better than the stupid Devil's Cartel bullshit.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
^My friends still upset that I shot him in the face without blinking at the end.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ashekaban posted:

Co-op Shooters With Online Campaign Stuff That are At Least semi Decent. Includes 3rd Persons\

Full List http://www.co-optimus.com/system/1/xbox360.html

50 Cent
Army of Two
Call Of Duty(FPS)
Gears
Halo (FPS)
EDF2017/2025
Borderlands(FPS)
Dead Island(FPS)
Defiance(MMO)
Fear 3(FPS)
Far Cry 3(FPS)
Left 4 Dead 1/2(FPS)
Kane and Lynch
Lost Planet 2
Resident Evil 5/6
Resident Evil Racoon City
Rainbow Six Vegas 1/2
Payday 2(FPS)
Rage(FPS)
Spec Ops the Line
Splinter Cell
Unreal Tournament(FPS)

:tipshat: I'd had Rainbow 6 Vegas for a few years when I accidentally noticed it had actual co-op (:monocle:). Dead Island seems more non-shooty than shooty but maybe I just haven't found the guns yet?

Unreal Tournament has a campaign?

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

:tipshat: I'd had Rainbow 6 Vegas for a few years when I accidentally noticed it had actual co-op (:monocle:). Dead Island seems more non-shooty than shooty but maybe I just haven't found the guns yet?

Unreal Tournament has a campaign?

Dead Island does have guns, Though not a lot.

UT3 apparently has co-op of some form. Couldnt tell you what kind. Though i believe its just a campaign of death match stuff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is the Unreal Tournament game for 360 any good? UT2K4 is quite easily the pinnacle of quality with regards to arena-based shooters, and you'd think UT3 would be better, but I haven't heard much about it.

Holy poo poo, UT2K4 is 10 years old :wtc:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is the Unreal Tournament game for 360 any good? UT2K4 is quite easily the pinnacle of quality with regards to arena-based shooters, and you'd think UT3 would be better, but I haven't heard much about it.

Holy poo poo, UT2K4 is 10 years old :wtc:

I wanna know this too, after my UC II: Liandri Conflict binge I was really tempted to pick up a copy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

beerinator posted:

The first one is noticeably harder than the later ones, but that's about it. No reason not to go back to the first one, as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just plugged my 360 back in for the first time in months and remembered I have State of Decay. I thought it was pretty fun but in the end felt pretty half baked so I quit after a few days. I did hear they updated the poo poo out of it though. Did the final product end up being pretty decent? Is it worth giving another shot?

• Locked thread