Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

The Nittany Lion origin story is rather ambiguous about what sort of animal the guy was describing. It was developed to counter the Princeton Tiger, which would imply that it's an African lion given that "lions and tigers" usually conjures that sort of lion. In its later description:

The "kingly" talk is definitely African lion talk. But the phrase "Nittany Mountain Lion" is unclear. Is it Nittany Mountain Lion or Nittany Mountain Lion?

For the record, I support bringing back the original mascot Old Coaly the Skeletal Hell-Horse.

All of the logos in recent memory are pretty clearly a mountain lion. Unless they've only been using lionesses or something, which is pretty progressive I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

e: ^^ ha, nice timing.

TTU's spring game just ended. Davis Webb looks awesome. Threw one ball, a pump fake on a go route and dropped it right in at the goal line for a 40 yard TD pass to Bradley Marquez. Thing of beauty.

Jakeem Grant also looks on form. He scored 2 long TD's and was making defenders look silly.

Defense didn't look as bad as I was afraid, though. Yes, they got torn apart by TTU's 1st team receivers, but I'd be worried if they didn't. They only gave up 75 yards rushing in the match which is pretty good. And the 2nd team offense and even Davis Webb + the second team receivers struggled to move the ball.

No one gives a poo poo about any of this stupid bullshit; what was Kliff wearing?

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

In every spring game, Spurrier loves throwing a deep bomb to a surprise player who comes off the bench to catch it. In the past, it's been a little-known walk-on, or a fan favorite on defense (Clowney caught it in 2013). This year, it was our women's basketball coach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erG9kHfm1IY

She got flagged for excessive celebration. :3:

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Ohio State Spring Game was today, thoughts:

- Holy gently caress the pass defense looks better. I didn't think a scheme could change things that much, but it's clear that the Cover 4 aggression suits these guys better than the weak zone last year. Scheme looks a lot like Sparty last year, seems a little more comfortable playing off the ball than MSU though. The guys Urban has recruited are clearly better suited for this, so hopefully I don't have to watch Indiana torch us for 500 yards this year.

- LB play definitely misses Shazier but looks better as a whole. Curtis Grant looks more comfortable in space and making reads, hopefully he keeps his confidence this year. Josh Perry is a big big human who looks like he's playing at full speed on every play again. Surprise was Darron Lee of all people. He's been getting a lot of buzz in spring practice as stepping in for Shazier and leaping guys like Trey Johnson, and I believe it now. He looks really fluid moving to the ball and was shedding blocks at a level way beyond that of a dude who was a QB/S one short redshirt year ago. He looks like he'll be the main space/mover/coverage guy whereas Perry and Grant will be plugging gaps.

- D-line is playing in more of a rotation than Vrabel used to use. Obviously, it's a spring game, so I won't read too much into line play, but these guys were just clowning all day. Tyquan Lewis was impressive and stood out on pass rushing, so we should be 3 deep at the LEO this year I imagine. Most of the important guys were playing at like 3/4 speed and still dominated.

- O-line looks shaky. Talent is clearly there, but they need the summer to gel and get together. Other than maybe VT, I don't think we play anyone with consistent pass rush early in the season, so I don't think we're in bad shape here. Hopefully Decker and Elfein keep this group together.

- RBs are difficult to judge. Emphasis on getting QBs reps today so there wasn't a lot to go on. Brionte Dunn looked the best of the group, but Ezekiel Elliot is still a better every down choice I imagine. Just not enough reps to say much.

-QB play was okay but needs to come a ways before I will feel good about it. Cardale had a rough day, but the pass defense showing up didn't help. He seems pretty uncomfortable in the pocket and looked like he was giving up on plays early. Accuracy could be better too. JT Barrett looked marginally better but was throwing against mainly second stringers on the other team's secondary. Cardale clearly is the better arm talent but Barrett looks more comfortable in the option looks. Will be interesting to see how the backup battle ends. Collier looked promising but still at least a year out from being competitive. His reads and checks look impressive for a guy who showed up this semester, and his arm and release are clearly more than enough to get it done. Just needs to work on timing and accuracy in the system.

- WRs own and are the deepest unit by far. Starters should be something like Devin Smith, Michael Thomas, and Corey Smith if today was any indication. Really did a good job of handling the pressure, just didn't have the QBs getting the ball to them. Looks like Johnnie Dixon will be getting time as a true frosh too, which should be impressive.

- K is still a battle. TE is impossible to judge because the starter is hurt.

I'll be curious what the team looks like when Braxton, Vonn Bell, and Heurman get back, but we look much improved already. I feel like this team could be leagues ahead of last years if they all stay bought in like this.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Guys I just realized we'll never see another Mauk2DGB pass again.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

No one gives a poo poo about any of this stupid bullshit; what was Kliff wearing?

Seriously, Kliff only has like 3 different things in his closet. He was wearing a black underarmor short sleeve and red workout shorts.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Both of Tennessee's 5 star freshmen EEs had an impressive day at the O&W game. Josh Malone had 6 catches for 181 yards and 3 touchdowns, and Hurd had 11 carries for 66 yards and a touchdown. Still the starting QB is up for grabs. Ferguson who looked the best during spring practice looked the worst during the game, but Dobbs and Worley looked great.

Still just a stupid spring game, but glad to see some of these EEs stepping up. Malone, Pearson, and North are going be a great WR group.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
OU managed to draw 43000 to the spring game today. People are hyped up this year.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Quandary posted:

OU managed to draw 43000 to the spring game today. People are hyped up this year.

Upsetting Bama and returning a QB will do that.

Still, a 45% bump from the 29k you pulled last year is impressive.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

oooOooOOoo

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Georgia had 46,000 for their spring game, didn't really do anything special. Meh.

That's more people than the Braves can get for NLDS games.

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 12, 2014

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Quandary posted:

Tenneseee had over 68,000 today at the game. It looks like OU is going to run over our D in the opener. Maybe we might give you guys a game in 2015 at Neyland.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

I like the all green, but I am so loving tired of the FAMU knockoff.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

Seriously, Kliff only has like 3 different things in his closet. He was wearing a black underarmor short sleeve and red workout shorts.

Not true, he has a bunch of deep v-neck shirts. Did he have cool sunglasses??? I bet he had cool sunglasses. He's so cool.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

PSU Spring Game: It was poo poo

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

DOOP posted:

PSU Spring Game: It was poo poo

Replace PSU with any team and you have summed up all spring games.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Either the Miami Defense looks better or holy poo poo our offense is terrible and we are winning 3 games max.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
seeing spring game attendance numbers is always weird to me. psu drew 72k today which seems to be a huge number

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I haven't been to a spring game since Kiffin was at UT. Does it mean I'm a bad fan since it's only 10 minutes from the house? Only reason I went last time was to get Eric Berry's autograph, and by the end of first quarter I already wanted to leave.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
going to psu's was always fun because it was an excuse to tailgate all day then call anthony morelli a loving cock sucker, just like we did 6 months ago and would again 6 months in the future

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

UF offense was supposedly really good today, but I'm sure it was setup that way to quiet any rumblings as much as possible.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Roasted Donut posted:

seeing spring game attendance numbers is always weird to me. psu drew 72k today which seems to be a huge number

That is a great number for a spring game. I think UT's record is around 73k, and that was after they beat Miami in the Sugar Bowl. Still I take our numbers we got today considering how bad we been. Jones is still selling it to the fans. If no bowl game this year, I would predict a big drop next year.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

If Kevin Olsen gets hurt, we're 100% winning 0 games afterwards.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

UF offense was supposedly really good today, but I'm sure it was setup that way to quiet any rumblings as much as possible.

Yeah, there isn't really anything substantive written/posted yet. I was hoping someone here went and could post their thoughts. I mean, the offense has to be better, like it can't be any worse.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Roasted Donut posted:

going to psu's was always fun because it was an excuse to tailgate all day then call anthony morelli a loving cock sucker, just like we did 6 months ago and would again 6 months in the future

You forgot where he inexplicably throws an 80 yard TD behind his back, while scrambling, and everyone goes THIS IS THE YEAR!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Also, didn't see this posted yet:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...-220605674.html

quote:

LSU LB Tahj Jones is hospitalized in serious condition after he was allegedly shot Friday night by a former LSU player.

According to The Advocate, Jones was shot in the abdomen. Former LSU OL Brandon Winey was arrested after the incident and charged with attempted second-degree murder.

Sulphur, La. police say that Jones went to an apartment to see a female friend unannounced. Winey showed up short time later and an altercation ensued where Winey allegedly shot Jones.

Jones was taken to the hospital by a friend after he was shot. Winey left the apartment after the alleged shooting and was arrested at his home in Lake Charles, La. on Saturday.

A senior in 2013, Jones was a backup linebacker for LSU and made 10 tackles in eight games. He started two games throughout his LSU career. Winey was a sixth-round pick in the 2001 NFL draft and played for the New York Giants, Washington Redskins and Denver Broncos in his NFL career.

A LSU spokesperson told the Advocate that the school was aware of Jones' hospitalization.

I bolded that part because when I started the article, I took former player to be a guy who was on the team last year and graduated or something, not a guy who is 10 years older...

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Hed posted:

Guys I just realized we'll never see another Mauk2DGB pass again.

How many 6'2"+ WR do we have left on the roster now?

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 13, 2014

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

Olsen doesn't look good either. If he doesn't improve fast, this is a 4-5 win season max.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dilber posted:

Either the Miami Defense looks better or holy poo poo our offense is terrible and we are winning 3 games max.

Yeah but isn't your qb out or something? Tough to judge an offense without its quarterback.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Really remind me of Nike's Oregon jerseys, but still look pretty sharp.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

swickles posted:

Yeah, there isn't really anything substantive written/posted yet. I was hoping someone here went and could post their thoughts. I mean, the offense has to be better, like it can't be any worse.

The WRs looked okay, I only caught the last drive. It was on Fox Sports, which means it'll probably be replaying a couple times this week

on Clemson
Greg Wallace ‏@gc_wallace 6m
Chad Kelly didn't play 2nd half due to "coaches decision," Dabo said, after he showed poor attitude on the sidelines.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC

regulargonzalez posted:

Yeah but isn't your qb out or something? Tough to judge an offense without its quarterback.

Olsen is going to be playing most of the season, if not all of it. Williams is out for a loooooong time.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

He probably wasn't playing against OU's first stringers, but I was rather amused to see that OU's spring game's best QB numbers came from Baker Mayfield.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

From NC State:
http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/college_sports/article_1f2eff76-63d5-561c-8682-573b20edbbfc.html

Jacoby Brissett threw two long touchdown passes to Bryan Underwood in his first public performance as the Wolfpack's starter, a 34-0 victory by his Red team Saturday in N.C. State's spring game.
Tony Creecy rushed for two TDs for a Red team with the starting offense and defense.
Brissett, a transfer from Florida, was 24 of 37 for 365 yards with TDs to Underwood covering 36 and 72 yards with an interception.

:stare:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

He probably wasn't playing against OU's first stringers, but I was rather amused to see that OU's spring game's best QB numbers came from Baker Mayfield.

So was most of TTU's fandom. If Baker is OU's best option at QB in another year when he's actually eligible to play, the entire Big XII will be quite happy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

So was most of TTU's fandom. If Baker is OU's best option at QB in another year when he's actually eligible to play, the entire Big XII will be quite happy.

I will say, if Baker was actually playing against the same defense that Knight was, I will officially be confused as gently caress about what to expect from OU on either side of the ball. Baker's a decent QB, but he can sure as hell be had.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

I will say, if Baker was actually playing against the same defense that Knight was, I will officially be confused as gently caress about what to expect from OU on either side of the ball. Baker's a decent QB, but he can sure as hell be had.

He practices well. Always has been good on the practice field. That's why Kliff kept letting him start games: he always looked like our best QB in practice.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Brissett, a transfer from Florida, was 24 of 37 for 365 yards with TDs to Underwood covering 36 and 72 yards with an interception.

Yep. UF is great at offensive talent evaluation.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

pillsburysoldier posted:

From NC State:
http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/college_sports/article_1f2eff76-63d5-561c-8682-573b20edbbfc.html

Jacoby Brissett threw two long touchdown passes to Bryan Underwood in his first public performance as the Wolfpack's starter, a 34-0 victory by his Red team Saturday in N.C. State's spring game.
Tony Creecy rushed for two TDs for a Red team with the starting offense and defense.

As soon as we went picked Driskel over Brissett, I knew this would happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

As soon as we went picked Driskel over Brissett, I knew this would happen.

Yeah. He's a stolen laptop, academic fraud and a JUCO title away from being Cam Newton. Wolfpack 14!

• Locked thread