Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

After successfully orbiting Eve / collecting a sample from Gilly and towing a station into Munar orbit, I am now looking for things to do with my interplanetary ship. So I sent it a grapple thingy.

(with Orbital Park at Kerbin Yards and the carrier rocket in the background)

More glamor shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

What the gently caress am I doing wrong here?

Every single loving time.

:negative:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Is your center of thrust directly behind the center of mass? Also turn on SAS for launch.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Suppose you wanted to put a class‐E potatoroid on display at KSC. How would you go about it? Attempt a controlled fly‐in? Drop it straight down? Skycrane? Crawler‐transporter?

I suppose a good method would be to reduce your asteroid's speed to near 0 right above KSC while still in orbit. The rock will have nowhere to go but straight down. This is probably the most :jeb: way. Bring something with lots of thrust!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Your center of mass is off to the side, so your rocket naturally wants to flip onto its back. You cannot fly an asymmetric rocket like that without constant course correction, whether by thrust vectoring or reaction wheels or fins. If you didn't build that yourself (say it came from a mod package of some kind) then it's probably meant to be flown with the help of an autopilot like MechJeb.

Your game is accurately simulating why the Shuttle's launch configuration is, in many respects, a huge pain in the rear end :v:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Your center of mass is off to the side, so your rocket naturally wants to flip onto its back. You cannot fly an asymmetric rocket like that without constant course correction, whether by thrust vectoring or reaction wheels or fins. If you didn't build that yourself (say it came from a mod package of some kind) then it's probably meant to be flown with the help of an autopilot like MechJeb.

Your game is accurately simulating why the Shuttle's launch configuration is, in many respects, a huge pain in the rear end :v:

No I built it myself.

gently caress you Shuttle design!

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

It looks like your shuttle engines are pointing straight down. Because of the weight of your booster, your center of mass is probably wonky on that thing.

Check out the engines on the shuttle here:

They are actually gimballed outwards to compensate for the center of mass being offset by the huge booster. There are a few mods out there that give you similar engines to build your own shuttle with.

link

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

PDP-1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC0DpPy6cro

I wonder how many tries it took to get that shot just right.

Quotin' dis for the new page.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What engine is mounted on the shuttle itself? It looks like it isn't producing nearly enough thrust.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

PDP-1 posted:

3 posted:

Quotin' dis for the new page.

Oh my god, this is amazing. Dunked so hard.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Zero One posted:

Are any of the life support mods worth using? I'm starting a new game that I want to make more difficult/realistic but I haven't been keeping up on mod developments.

TAC Life Support (Here)

It's not the hardest mod to use, as the canisters of supplies are pretty light, but does require you to have a constant supply of power to keep it all running. Mod also includes heavier parts for recycling some of the support supplies.

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

PDP-1 posted:

proclick right here

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Green Calx posted:

It looks like your shuttle engines are pointing straight down. Because of the weight of your booster, your center of mass is probably wonky on that thing.

Check out the engines on the shuttle here:

They are actually gimballed outwards to compensate for the center of mass being offset by the huge booster. There are a few mods out there that give you similar engines to build your own shuttle with.

link

The Space Shuttle SRBs were also gimbaled and actually provided most of the control authority while they were burning.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

WMain00 posted:

Every single loving time.:negative:

Lower the thrust (tweakables) on the SRBs, then mount your SSMEs at a 5 degree angle so that they have more gimbal in the right direction. As seen in the post above, real SSMEs have more gimbal range than KSP engines, so you need to correct for that by adjusting the initial engine positioning so that the max opposite gimbal is straight ahead.

And yeah, use ASAS, it has the ability to gimbal engines independently to correct for asymetrical payloads as of 0.23 or 0.22

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

WMain00 posted:

No I built it myself.

gently caress you Shuttle design!

Side mount vertical takeoff shuttles are without doubt the hardest thing to make in stock KSP. They're asymmetric, have huge problems with shifting center of mass, interact badly with the sketchy aerodynamics model, and when you do make them work all you get is something that's about 100 times worse than a normal rocket. (That last part is at least accurate to real life.)

Making a shuttle replica is what you do when every other challenge in the game leaves you bored and you want to turn the game into Dark Souls. If you just want a shuttle for aesthetic reasons there are some mods that have easy-to-use shuttles.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Space Shuttle SRBs were also gimbaled and actually provided most of the control authority while they were burning.

This is mostly why the SRB smoke trails from shuttle launches have a sort of "spiral twisting" structure instead of being a straight-up plume of exhaust!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Klyith posted:

Side mount vertical takeoff shuttles are without doubt the hardest thing to make in stock KSP. They're asymmetric, have huge problems with shifting center of mass, interact badly with the sketchy aerodynamics model, and when you do make them work all you get is something that's about 100 times worse than a normal rocket. (That last part is at least accurate to real life.)

Making a shuttle replica is what you do when every other challenge in the game leaves you bored and you want to turn the game into Dark Souls. If you just want a shuttle for aesthetic reasons there are some mods that have easy-to-use shuttles.
It's so worth it when you get it to work, though!

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Wait what's going on here, how'd that logo get there?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Noob question time: how do I move fuel/oxidiser between tanks?

My plan was to launch a giant fuel tank into Kerbin orbit, then dock my other rockets with it to fuel up before sending them on long journeys, but it occurred to me I have no idea how to make that happen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Elder Postsman posted:

Wait what's going on here, how'd that logo get there?

Seems to be a new feature of 0.23.5, lots of things now have the mission flag as a decal.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

potatocubed posted:

Noob question time: how do I move fuel/oxidiser between tanks?

My plan was to launch a giant fuel tank into Kerbin orbit, then dock my other rockets with it to fuel up before sending them on long journeys, but it occurred to me I have no idea how to make that happen.

Right-click one tank, then hold ALT and right-click the other tank. Use the in/out buttons accordingly. It can help to have a small tank as a measuring cup if you're not going for complete refills.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

WMain00 posted:

Every single loving time.

You put the crew on the side of the rocket instead of the top. This seems like a very dangerous design, even in the context of a game like KSP.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have the most :jeb: way of ensuring clean staging on my current heavy lifter: let it spin real fast and have centrifugal effects do the rest.

It’s way easier than setting up the staging for scores of separatrons.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
So The Raster prop mod is pretty cool, and you should have it. It gives you working MFDs in your pods.

I finally rescued Bill Jeb and Bob off the mun too, IVA only while trying the ALCOR pod.

I really dig this. Especially the exterior camera feeds. :fap:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Speaking of space shuttles, does anybody have experience making them in FAR? Wonder if it will make it easier or harder.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

SocketSeven posted:

So The Raster prop mod is pretty cool, and you should have it. It gives you working MFDs in your pods.

I really dig this. Especially the exterior camera feeds. :fap:

The first time you dock a ship IVA with the docking cam, its like the first time you landed on the Mun all over again. :gizz:

Seriously everyone that isn't using Raster Prop Mod should go get it now. Your stock capsule interiors get an upgrade, and you now get to spend inordinate amounts of time pondering camera placement angles on your ships. Because you're not OCD enough.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I am currently phone-posting because a weight is holding the W key down on my computer: I got the rescue rocket to the Mun, but it's 53 km from Bill and he's going to have to walk.

...I may just leave this running overnight.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

potatocubed posted:

I am currently phone-posting because a weight is holding the W key down on my computer: I got the rescue rocket to the Mun, but it's 53 km from Bill and he's going to have to walk.

...I may just leave this running overnight.

Hold down Shift to run, then take running leaps. That's how I got my stranded kerbals to the rescue rockets. Granted, they were only like 6 km away.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You can also use physical time accel up to 4x, or just have him fly himself there if he has any jetpack fuel left.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Getting up to like 7 or 8 m/s and sliding over the ground after landing is also a good way to travel without a lot of input. Just be careful not to go down any hills like that, you pick up too much speed.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I got impatient and tried to hop the rescue rocket closer to him.

Then I crashed it into the side of a crater.

Still, at least I know the principle is sound - with the next one I think I'll just try to land it closer to him.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m currently operating a craft with twenty nineteen fuel tanks, asparagus‐staged. The last tank on one side was lost in a staging incident. Now I have to transfer all the fuel from that side manually. :negative:

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

potatocubed posted:

Still, at least I know the principle is sound - with the next one I think I'll just try to land it closer to him.

Quicksave/quickload is your friend

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

potatocubed posted:

Its an art hitting a landing target. If you can get an orbit that goes right over it, zero out your horizontal just before it (so when you land the mun's rotation puts you on target. Or if you can't, set up a node that goes over the target a bit. The burn on the way down should adjust you on to target. With a little practice you should be able to land within a 1000m.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Hey erm could someone points me to the actual spaceflight megathread? I've not been in GBS since this... change, I'm not sure what's going on there, but I definitely can't find it.

And barring that, why don't I just ask: I'm watching NDG's(inferior) Cosmos and he talks about how the Hubble Deep Field took several orbits of exposure capture (with Ultra Deep and Extreme Deep taking several more). It kinda sounded like like it would have to track the same patch of sky while moving back and forth behind the earth. Why not just go into an orbit perpendicular to the target instead though and keep it on all the time? Or maybe even make leave the earth SOI, and it can stand perfectly still. Is it just dV cost and the lack of a sufficiently heavy lift vehicle that can significantly depart from equatorial LEO? Would there be significantly more cool poo poo the the Hubble (or similar telescope) could capture if we could put it farther away from earth?

Mrs. Wynand fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 13, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Spaceflight Megathread moved to SAL: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Ah thank you. Probably for the best.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

AceClown posted:

Quicksave/quickload is your friend

and skip my favorite part of having to design your own spaceships?!?

Mr. Wynand posted:

Ah thank you. Probably for the best.

Now you can get banned for mocking "just mine the asteroids for construction materials". "Better" is subjective.

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 14, 2014

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

PDP-1 posted:

:drat:
This deserves all the views. Bullseye indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mr. Wynand posted:

Hey erm could someone points me to the actual spaceflight megathread? I've not been in GBS since this... change, I'm not sure what's going on there, but I definitely can't find it.

And barring that, why don't I just ask: I'm watching NDG's(inferior) Cosmos and he talks about how the Hubble Deep Field took several orbits of exposure capture (with Ultra Deep and Extreme Deep taking several more). It kinda sounded like like it would have to track the same patch of sky while moving back and forth behind the earth. Why not just go into an orbit perpendicular to the target instead though and keep it on all the time? Or maybe even make leave the earth SOI, and it can stand perfectly still. Is it just dV cost and the lack of a sufficiently heavy lift vehicle that can significantly depart from equatorial LEO? Would there be significantly more cool poo poo the the Hubble (or similar telescope) could capture if we could put it farther away from earth?

As far as I understand it (Almost entirely from discussion here), real spaceflight doesn't technically have SOIs. Every object in the solar system is exerting its influence on every other to varying degrees, which makes planetary transfer trajectories really loving complicated. KSP uses a greatly simplified single-body calculation. Also, you may have noticed the part (probably in a different episode) where Tyson mentions how fast A) himself on a bike, B) the Earth, C) the Sun, and D) the entire Milky Way galaxy is moving, so "perfectly still" is only a possibility from certain frames of reference.

Regardless, multiple scanning passes are much more efficient than putting more reaction mass up there to move the telescope, which would also mean having to send more fuel up to get support missions to the new position.

• Locked thread