Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

Infinite Monkeys posted:

What the gently caress?

Should have read a blink scroll not tele

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DarthXaos posted:

Should have read a blink scroll not tele

Also shouldn't have fought the troll and other things in front of them, they would have blocked the ettin/storm dragon as you retreated.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think I'm some sort of fighter jet?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCUnhoe0rpU

THE TIME

HAS COME

TO AWAKEN HIM

AWAKEN AWAKEN AWAKEN AWAKEN TAKE THE LAND THAT MUST BE TAKEN posted:

1665766 Ramc the Slayer (level 27, 308/308 HPs)
Began as a Troll Monk on Apr 11, 2014.
Was a High Priest of Okawaru.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 3 runes on Apr 13, 2014!

The game lasted 10:41:01 (76270 turns).

And I am streaking again! My first Troll and first Monk win so there is that. Boilerplate okatroll but I didn't really feel like I was running into any issues with late game power level: I was loving shredding dudes. That said I had pretty-really-good defense for a troll!

Highlight of the Orb run was running into a pan lord with distortion-branded strikes in the chokepoint out of the zot vestibule and getting tele'd into the uncleared lung. 3 orbs of fire and an orb guardian in sight, but all my buffs were up. Popped fog, popped tele and proceeded to murder the poo poo out of everything before the tele went off. It was fantastic

The turncount on this win is by best by like 20K. probably troll regen at work. Score one for Zincense and Peppermints!

Full dump: http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Ramc/morgue-Ramc-20140413-231301.txt

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

kaschei posted:

It's harder but it's due to experience changes and not the things people notice and complain about and see clusters of.

drat, just saw that. :smith:

In other team-related bad news, I lost a very nice 2 rune MiDK to one of the shittiest abyssings I've ever been dealt.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 14, 2014

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

I thought I'd just roll a quick Gargoyle (haven't played since they were introduced) and die then that would satisfy my Crawl fix for a while.

Of course I find a 12/8 randart whip of speed on D6 and then randart +3 rF/rC/rElec/Sinvis ringmail shortly thereafter. Still trying to find the lair at this point but this dude is just a blender. Now that I've posted this, I will certainly die too.

[Edit] Ow, Nessos on level 11. Still alive for now though and found the lair.

SteveMcQueen fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 14, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
God, gently caress the Abyss, it is just the worst bullshit. So many turns, no exits.

e: Maybe I'll stop doing Elf....

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 14, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah, you should got to Vaults and get banished by the Ogre mages instead :shepface:

EDIT: Nobody has won with a MuSk still. If I hadn't gotten mine killed earlier I probably would of been first :argh:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 14, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, you should got to Vaults and get banished by the Ogre mages instead :shepface:

EDIT: Nobody has won with a MuSk still. If I hadn't gotten mine killed earlier I probably would of been first :argh:

Seriously though Banishment is an awful mechanic. Actually, all of the binary "does nothing 95% of the time and kills you the rest" ones are frustrating because convenient play and optimal play are so far apart. I'm not sure how you'do MR stuff better, though.

I can't even imagine the frustration of trying to get a MuSk going.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

LogicNinja posted:

Seriously though Banishment is an awful mechanic. Actually, all of the binary "does nothing 95% of the time and kills you the rest" ones are frustrating because convenient play and optimal play are so far apart. I'm not sure how you'do MR stuff better, though.

How you do MR stuff is to loving wear it, unlike everyone in this thread who constantly complains about dying to banishment.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

I mean the mechanic in general.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Its fine though...

You don't want to die from poison you wear rPois. You don't want to die from fire you wear rF. You don't wan't to die from banishment you wear MR.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Yeah, please don't speak of crawl deaths in the crawl thread. :jerkbag:

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, please don't speak of crawl deaths in the crawl thread. :jerkbag:

Talking about the dumb ways you die is what this thread is about. Claiming the death was unavoidable and the fault of the game (when there are a million sources of MR you didn't put on) is annoying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Banishment is a lovely mechanic. Back when the abyss was guaranteed doom it was horrible, now that its more survivable its still horrible but not as lethal. I've said it before but I don't think it really adds anything to the game. Its just another MR check like paralysis. The only difference between banishment and paralysis is that paralysis will kill you right away where as banishment will kill you through boredom. If it functioned in some different way it might be interesting. I suggested that instead of being an instant MR check banishment instead summon a special monster like an eldritch tentacle that attempts to pull you or your allies into the abyss. That way banishment can still occur but the spell itself isn't just another MR check and is an interesting hazard.

Also banishment from distortion weapons is stupid as hell since lets be realistic; you're not going to check every single monster that appears for a glowing weapon. That's tedious and dumb.

EDIT: Basically I've never heard an explanation for how banishment improves the game as a mechanic versus similar ones that are far less irritating. Its not a matter of how dangerous it is, its just loving annoying.

Firebatgyro posted:

Talking about the dumb ways you die is what this thread is about. Claiming the death was unavoidable and the fault of the game (when there are a million sources of MR you didn't put on) is annoying.

There was one MR ring which would of helped him. That does matter but don't act like those lovely weapons were at all viable. If he used those against Louise he'd just end up getting banished anyways since it would take forever to kill her with one.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 14, 2014

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

There was one MR ring which would of helped him. That does matter but don't act like those lovely weapons were at all viable. If he used those against Louise he'd just end up getting banished anyways since it would take forever to kill her with one.

MR+ is the most important resistance in the game. If you see a ring of MR+ you wear it at the expense of any other ring until you have enough MR from elsewhere that you feel comfortable. Dude died because he played badly, not because the mechanic is bullshit.

Edit: I've died to a million kobold/gnolls/orcs because I was to lazy to avoid their elec branded daggers or whatever. Should we remove them as well?

Firebatgyro fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 14, 2014

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

LogicNinja posted:

The same way you start any sort of sub-par combo, you heavily specialize. If I remember correctly Skalds don't have any spells that directly damage things so your first step is to invest in your weapon and ignore spellcasting. Use Infusion if you have the time to fail in casting it but you're otherwise like a weaker melee class.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Abyss runs before you're actually ready for it are one of the most tense and fun things in crawl, getting rid of banishment in general is a hella terrible idea.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Firebatgyro posted:

MR+ is the most important resistance in the game. If you see a ring of MR+ you wear it at the expense of any other ring until you have enough MR from elsewhere that you feel comfortable. Dude died because he played badly, not because the mechanic is bullshit.

Edit: I've died to a million kobold/gnolls/orcs because I was to lazy to avoid their elec branded daggers or whatever. Should we remove them as well?

It doesn't matter. What would you have recommended if that MR ring hadn't been there? Especially with the decrease in early loot its perfectly possible to end up in that situation.

But that's not my main point anyways. In my experience Abyss:1 is pretty survivable for a mid level character if you play carefully, so I don't think banishment is the instant death sentence it used to be. It is however still stupid and not fun at all. You didn't explain what the it adds to the game that other MR checks don't, and that's what I'm focusing on. Banishment doesn't improve Crawl. Banishment is an annoying mechanic that just forces you to throw on MR gear and or get hosed. And there are plenty of MR checks that already make you do that! Banishment doesn't need to be one as well. Nobody likes it, the only response I ever hear when its brought up is "yeah it sucks" or "suck it up and play". Nobody actually defends it staying in the game.

As for banishment on weapon brands, its just dumb. Sure other branded weapons can isntakill you in the early game, but you won't die to them right away later on. Distortion brands continue to be annoying through the whole game. They are so rare though you can't honestly expect the player to go through the tedious process of assuming EVERY glowing weapons is distortion.

busb posted:

Abyss runs before you're actually ready for it are one of the most tense and fun things in crawl, getting rid of banishment in general is a hella terrible idea.

Not really. My reaction to abyss:1 is boredom since most things there aren't dangerous for a mid-high level character, and those that are can be avoided. Its only tense when you run into something absurd like an executioner.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Firebatgyro posted:

I'd be with you, except 'not playing badly' includes stuff like 'don't be an awesome race with free built-in MR' or 'get lucky and find the right jewellery or wearable armour' (luck is unquestionably a factor for Louise or Erlocha) or 'be built around killing stuff from range so fights are over faster' (so don't take half the backgrounds which only give you melee tools).

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

The mechanic is dumb because it's so all or nothing and because nothing happens most of the time if you don't have the resistant then all of a sudden that one time you're dead.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

:argh: Moth of wrath :argh:

Alternately:

:argh: Casting haste instead of swiftness when low on MP and I had haste potions :argh:
:argh: Thinking a scroll of vulnerability would end berserk for monsters :argh:
:argh: Not running away a few turns earlier :argh:

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

In non-MR discussion. Which do you guys think is better? (I'm a Ds if you want to take into account the small + to hit bonus)

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
I'm messing around with a CeHu, how the heck do I build em?

I'm currently dumping all my xp into fighting/xbows, but beyond that I'm a bit lost.

Is there a weapon speed cap I should turn off xbows?
Should I train dodge?
What kind of armor am I looking for?
Do I dump all my points into dex?

I found a venom demon trident in a shop, is it a good idea to grab it?

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 14, 2014

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Foxfire_ posted:

:argh: Moth of wrath :argh:

Alternately:

:argh: Casting haste instead of swiftness when low on MP and I had haste potions :argh:
:argh: Thinking a scroll of vulnerability would end berserk for monsters :argh:
:argh: Not running away a few turns earlier :argh:
I popped in to spectate that and found you at 12 hp facing four berserk orb guardians. :(

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Firebatgyro posted:

In non-MR discussion. Which do you guys think is better? (I'm a Ds if you want to take into account the small + to hit bonus)

The speed brand is (If I Remember Correctly) currently a 33% increase in attack speed, w/o any damage penalty.
The freezing brand should be around a 25% damage increase, disregarding vuln/resists.

Theoretically, I'm leaning towards the scimitar being superior, but I haven't simmed out the results.

The freezing brand can do up to 50% extra damage against the right enemies, but it's worth noting that a lot of enemies are cold-blooded (including draconians), making freezing a superior option.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'll say that I should have remembered that there was an MR ring back there, but at the time I was pretty attached to the rPois+rF(I think) I had at the time, and during orc I wasn't really thinking about MR. I guess it's something to keep in mind in the future, but I'm still kinda salty about that death.
In other news, I decided I'd try my hand at a MuSk, since I've already spent a lot of this tourny loving about with bad combos, and I've gotten far enough(lair 7 so far) to get invested in it. Honestly, it's pretty nice to not have a hunger clock. On the other hand, not really ever having any skills is pretty rough.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

41 ogres dead so far this tournament.

41 :gonk:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Okay, I've gotten a +9 +7 great mace of pain. I just know I'm gonna throw now, but I'd love if I could properly branch into necro and make use of this to get somewhere.
e: immediately died to a death yak

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Team Zincense and Peppermints currently has two Gargoyle Wanderers closing in on 15 rune victories! Mine, and Arghonaut's.

Since I have a really lovely turncount, I'd better win mine first so Argh can get a banner by sniping my combo score.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

ImPureAwesome posted:

I'm messing around with a CeHu, how the heck do I build em?

I'm currently dumping all my xp into fighting/xbows, but beyond that I'm a bit lost.

Is there a weapon speed cap I should turn off xbows?
Should I train dodge?
What kind of armor am I looking for?
Do I dump all my points into dex?

I found a venom demon trident in a shop, is it a good idea to grab it?

Never stop training your bows/xbows skill.

I play them with bows, but the way I build lately is at the start go 25% fighting, 25% dodging and 50% bows.
Once I begin worshiping a god I start training invocations if it's needed. I usually go with Okawaru, and you only need about 7-8 invocations to use finesse well.
If I find a good charms or translocations spell book I may start training those, summoning may also work for you. If I don't find those by around end of lair I'll probably put points into evocations instead.

It's your choice whether you want to train the armor skill, I used to do it, but have recently stopped to put xp in other skills. Largely because of deformed body and -3 aptitude.

In order to conserve ammo you will want to use a melee weapon to kill weak enemies. Find one with a nice brand. That venom demon trident would be a good candidate, but whether or not I would buy it is dependent on how expensive it is. Again, it's your choice whether or not you train a melee weapon. I used to do a little polearm training on CeHu but stopped because I almost always have a sustainable amount of ammo by the time I attempt the first lair branch, and felt the xp went to waste there.

In terms of body armor, since centaurs have deformed bodies, I try not to go heavier than ring mail, and prioritize EV and resistances on armor over AC.
Okawaru and acquirement can really help you out with all your armor, especially when it comes to centaur bardings.

Finally, put points into strength early, and dex later on, in my opinion. Ranged weapons benefit from both, a little more from strength IIRC, and you'll need the carrying capacity to lug around all your ammo.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man, I decide to do something other than a Merfolk or Demonspawn Berserker and try a Draconian Venom Mage. Doing well, found an early Vehumet altar and a falchion of electricity, when I go down the stairs to D3. Immediately, there's an orc pack with a priest, and I can see the other two up staircases, so that's not an option. The priest is out of range for either of my offensive spells and my melee, so I try to reposition to get a cloud on him. It takes a turn, though, and he smites me. Still, I'm cool, at about half, the priest and one of the normal orcs is confused and I'm confidant I can take the other one, when a goblin appears. I'm not worried...until he zaps a wand of flame at me, killing me.

I should just stick to tabfest melee guys. Casters are hard.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Gaffle posted:

Never stop training your bows/xbows skill.

I play them with bows, but the way I build lately is at the start go 25% fighting, 25% dodging and 50% bows.
Once I begin worshiping a god I start training invocations if it's needed. I usually go with Okawaru, and you only need about 7-8 invocations to use finesse well.
If I find a good charms or translocations spell book I may start training those, summoning may also work for you. If I don't find those by around end of lair I'll probably put points into evocations instead.

It's your choice whether you want to train the armor skill, I used to do it, but have recently stopped to put xp in other skills. Largely because of deformed body and -3 aptitude.

In order to conserve ammo you will want to use a melee weapon to kill weak enemies. Find one with a nice brand. That venom demon trident would be a good candidate, but whether or not I would buy it is dependent on how expensive it is. Again, it's your choice whether or not you train a melee weapon. I used to do a little polearm training on CeHu but stopped because I almost always have a sustainable amount of ammo by the time I attempt the first lair branch, and felt the xp went to waste there.

In terms of body armor, since centaurs have deformed bodies, I try not to go heavier than ring mail, and prioritize EV and resistances on armor over AC.
Okawaru and acquirement can really help you out with all your armor, especially when it comes to centaur bardings.

Finally, put points into strength early, and dex later on, in my opinion. Ranged weapons benefit from both, a little more from strength IIRC, and you'll need the carrying capacity to lug around all your ammo.

Thanks for this. I'll put it into better practice next time, but having both terrible dodge and armor apts kinda confused me on how not to die. (For example, my recent dude escaped up some stairs from a pack of orc wizards only so that when I came down another staircase I dropped in the middle of gnolls and bees. Immediately got netted and then stung to death before I could finish going back up :sigh:)

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Arrhythmia posted:

Also shouldn't have fought the troll and other things in front of them, they would have blocked the ettin/storm dragon as you retreated.

Yeah I made mistakes but what the gently caress were they doing on D:11 anyway? A D:11 storm dragon must be at least 10 levels too early?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sometimes you get vaults that are just massive gently caress yous. Worst I can think of was a Very Ugly Thing and Yaktaur Captain on D:9. Storm Dragon on D:11 is probably worse though, especially if you haven't found lair yet.

VVV It being a vault doesn't make it any less stupid though.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Yeah I made mistakes but what the gently caress were they doing on D:11 anyway? A D:11 storm dragon must be at least 10 levels too early?

That was a vault, not just some random OOD monsters

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Infinite Monkeys posted:

12 levels too early at minimum, to be specific. :) Vaults can pull monsters from something like (depth * 2) + 8 for super out of depth threats, I don't remember the specifics. A storm dragon is definitely some nasty bullshit though.

Viashino_wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Consider my interest piqued.

Firebatgyro posted:

Demonblades are superior to Scimitars in every way, so I'd go with that. The Scimitar's worth keeping around for cold-resistant enemies though.

Also, Ds don't get a slaying bonus for demon weapons in 0.14 because they removed racial weapons.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gaffle posted:

Crossbows get four times the benefit from strength as from dex, while bows are the other way around.

e: Increasing your stats will reduce the attack delay on crossbows, again with strength counting four times as much. So if you're not at min delay yet (and you probably aren't), you should boost strength as well as training the skill. With 27 crossbow skill you need 18.5 "effective stat" (80% of your strength plus 20% of your dex) to reach min delay, which could mean 21 strength 10 dex, 10 str 53 dex, or (more likely) something in between like 19 str 18 dex.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Infinite Monkeys posted:

What the gently caress?

Arrhythmia posted:

12 levels too early at minimum, to be specific. :) Vaults can pull monsters from something like (depth * 2) + 8 for super out of depth threats, I don't remember the specifics. A storm dragon is definitely some nasty bullshit though.

8[2/2]: Is also a marker for extremely out of depth ([depth+2]*2 depth!) monsters in vaults; both traditional and valued by most devs. Good results: d:4 wolf spiders, d:5 centaur warriors, d:6 fire crabs, d:9 sphinxes, d:10 fire giants, d:11 liches.

It's a hand-crafted challenge: promise you some loot (behind glass), put extremely out-of-depth enemies between you and it.

The really clever part is the non-out-of-depth enemies; like Arrhythmia said, not fighting them (and leaving them to block the ettin & dragon) would have saved your life. Good design!

• Locked thread