Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

euphronius posted:

Photosynthesis is some liberal conspiracy

This whole show is nothing but goddamn LIEberal propaganda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
As much as I adore this subject matter, this episode just feels very disjointed and lacking an easy flow. I think last week's is still my favorite.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hahah I hope Jack Bauer is a terrorist

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Poke

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Oh god siblings everywhere are going to take the "I'm not touching you" game to a whole new level with this info

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

punk/goth Chloe :allears:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

pik_d posted:

Oh god siblings everywhere are going to take the "I'm not touching you" game to a whole new level with this info

So when you touch yourself, you aren't actually touching yourself?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ahhhh I can never be touched

So alone

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

A boy poking a girl was a really awkward segue into explaining how atoms work but ok I guess we're just gonna roll with it

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
gently caress OFF DAD, WE'RE NOT ACTUALLY TOUCHING

The science man on the television said so!

Fake edit: Not sure how I feel about goth Chloe.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mister Kingdom posted:

"you're not hitting yourself, you're not hitting yourself!!"

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

pik_d posted:

What's funny is that it was actually my humanities professor who taught me that we don't really touch things when we were covering the scientific revolution.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I guess that's more majestic/inspiring than showing a hydrogen bomb going off.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Mister Kingdom posted:

So we can all ejaculate on command, eh?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The sun owns

Praise ra

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Oh no Niel, you're seeing multiple supernovae, the Q are fighting again :ohdear:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Neutrinos!!

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

I'm kinda surprised that Neil's covered supernovae a few times and still hasn't said that stars pretty much go supernova when the fusion process gets up to iron which is when the energy released can't hold a star up from gravity anymore.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Wait, he's inside the Fesarius?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can those Asus things actually run Office

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I ever if he means the heavy water neutrino detectors at the bottom of mine shafts, or the one they jury rigged from a giant slab of Antarctic ice.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Something cool about supernovas: one as far from Earth as the Sun is would be brighter than a hydrogen bomb detonating right in front of your eyes! :eng101:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I want to see 100 light years of steel.

Strange Quark posted:

Something cool about supernovas: one as far from Earth as the Sun is would be brighter than a hydrogen bomb detonating right in front of your eyes! :eng101:

I too read xkcd what if.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Where's my epilepsy warning Neil

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Oh hell yes, supernova mechanics.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Wait, he's inside the Fesarius?

Where's Clint Howard?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Aha, my high school physics teacher did the exact same thing with a bowling ball attached to the ceiling. :allears:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Wolfgang keeps alternating between smug smirks and come-hither eyes and it's creeping me the gently caress out.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I thought some communist came up with the neutrino.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

wilderthanmild posted:

I too read xkcd what if.

Okay, smart guy. How about this: when Betelgeuse goes supernova, it'd be as bright as the full moon for weeks. :colbert:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

surf rock posted:

Wolfgang keeps alternating between smug smirks and come-hither eyes and it's creeping me the gently caress out.

I hope Pauli just hangs out in the background of every interior shot of the Ship of the Imagination for the rest of the series.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

euphronius posted:

I thought some communist came up with the neutrino.
You might be thinking of the MSW Effect.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Dark One posted:

I hope Pauli just hangs out in the background of every interior shot of the Ship of the Imagination for the rest of the series.

I hope this but also that he's joined by other, similarly skeevy looking, dead scientists

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

And it reveals the Ark of the Covenant

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Strange Quark posted:

Okay, smart guy. How about this: when Betelgeuse goes supernova, it'd be as bright as the full moon for weeks. :colbert:

I didn't mean it as an insult. I was just figuring that was where you got that specific example since it was the same very specific example and I'd been reading that article yesterday.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

pik_d posted:

I hope this but also that he's joined by other, similarly skeevy looking, dead scientists
They should just do it with all the famous scientists from the 1927 Solvay Conference.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah I was thinking of Pontecorvo. Nevermind.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

wilderthanmild posted:

I didn't mean it as an insult. I was just figuring that was where you got that specific example since it was the same very specific example and I'd been reading that article yesterday.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude either. I was just giving a playful reply, and I felt like sharing something you might not know. :v:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

euphronius posted:

The sun owns

Praise ra

Good call.

This episode and the last episode were both fairly disjointed imo. I think they're just shoving whatever ideas they had but couldn't sustain into a full episode during these middle shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

:( he left out my favorite supernova fact: in a type II supernova, the core collapse converts as much as a tenth of the star's mass into neutrinos, and neutrino pressure compresses the core, producing the supernova.

• Locked thread