Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ChampRamp posted:

Tenzan is pretty bad now, but Kojima is still pretty good.

They're the New Age Outlaws of Japan. At Dontaku last year, they got the biggest reception of the night after the top three guys (Okada, Tanahashi, and Nakamura, in that order if memory serves). Their act is well known, their spots are well known, Koji can go enough to carry them. It's sad, and they need more heavyweight non-gaijin tag teams to help the division. Maybe Makabe plus somebody else should drop down and take a run at the belts?

Dave's right -- third show in a week in Tokyo, no IWGP title defense, and biggest crowd in a while? Dang. Things are picking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

harperdc posted:

They're the New Age Outlaws of Japan. At Dontaku last year, they got the biggest reception of the night after the top three guys (Okada, Tanahashi, and Nakamura, in that order if memory serves). Their act is well known, their spots are well known, Koji can go enough to carry them. It's sad, and they need more heavyweight non-gaijin tag teams to help the division. Maybe Makabe plus somebody else should drop down and take a run at the belts?

Dave's right -- third show in a week in Tokyo, no IWGP title defense, and biggest crowd in a while? Dang. Things are picking up.

There's another side to that crowd. Reports were that the advance was better than KoPW 2013 and that a sell out was possible and in the end it fell short of KoPW. So they did a big crowd, but the way they booked the show could be looked at as a negative since the crowd didn't live up to the advance.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

harperdc posted:

Maybe Makabe plus somebody else should drop down and take a run at the belts?

Honma's got this, just tell him to never go for Kokeshi.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tonfa posted:

Honma's got this, just tell him to never go for Kokeshi.

Honma's over and a good wrestler, I'd honestly having no problem seeing him as more than just the designated job guy in multi mans.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

MassRafTer posted:

There's another side to that crowd. Reports were that the advance was better than KoPW 2013 and that a sell out was possible and in the end it fell short of KoPW. So they did a big crowd, but the way they booked the show could be looked at as a negative since the crowd didn't live up to the advance.

Jax Dane puts butts in seats brother.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Push Honma

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eVet_DXq_0

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Why hasn't NJPW sent my check yet? They blatantly stole their booking for AJ from the ROH thread. Jado and Gedo live their gimmick.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Guy at 1:06 reacts to these wrestlemans on his baseball field like he just saw the streak end.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

how did that ump not get rainmakered??

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Seeing Nakamura being unable to stand still at all reminds me that I desperately want to see Nakamura vs Ambrose, though I'm not sure any ring would be able to contain that much Swag/Sleaze.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nice that they're making some public appearances on their Taiwan trip.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Germansimp posted:

Seeing Nakamura being unable to stand still at all reminds me that I desperately want to see Nakamura vs Ambrose, though I'm not sure any ring would be able to contain that much Swag/Sleaze.

That would probably be a drat good match. They'd have to burn the ring afterwards, though.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Seriously though, how does Gedo even SEE.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Seriously though, how does Gedo even SEE.

He hides an all-seeing Third Eye under his bandana that can see through everything, his two regular eyes are just for decoration.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I went to the show last night in Taipei. Was thinking of going again tonight but I'd be doing it alone as opposed to last night when I had 5 guys with me.

The show was pretty fun. It was your regular house show but better than the ones WWE does when they roll through because WWE just seems to send 1 big name and a bunch of midcarder geeks. New Japan sent pretty much the entire top tier of talent. None of the guys worked terribly hard being a house show and all and the matches went maybe 10~ minutes most of the time, with a couple going a bit longer.

Main event with Okada/Tanahashi/Nakamura was great. Tanahashi stuck around and did air guitar for the crowd for 15 minutes. Crowd totally loved him and he won with the High Fly Flow on Takahashi. He was definitely the biggest star, Okada got a big reaction as did Nakamura. I thought Nakamura was the best on the show. The way he moves, his whole act is just great, very unique and entertaining. Every moment he does in some stylized manner and it really makes him stand out.

Fun show, ran about 3 hours. They were pretty much out of shirts by intermission though so they should bring a lot more. I wanted to get a pair of red and black NJPW shirts but they were all out of XXL for both and only had XL left in Black so I got one of those. Was going to replace the Red shirt with a rainmaker shirt but they were almost out of those as well, no XLs left. I didn't care for any of Tanahashi's shirts so I got a NJPW 'Strong Style' shirt.

Random Taiwanese model doing the ring introduction announced Bad Luck Fale as Bad Luck FAIL, pretty funny.

None of the guys I went with were wrestling fans and $60USD was a lot to pay for the tickets but they all had a great time and really got into it, were having a great time, and agreed that we need to see [wrestling] the next time a show comes here.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 13, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

PaybackJack posted:

I went to the show last night in Taipei. Was thinking of going again tonight but I'd be doing it alone as opposed to last night when I had 5 guys with me.

The show was pretty fun. It was your regular house show but better than the ones WWE does when they roll through because WWE just seems to send 1 big name and a bunch of midcarder geeks. New Japan sent pretty much the entire top tier of talent. None of the guys worked terribly hard being a house show and all and the matches went maybe 10~ minutes most of the time, with a couple going a bit longer.

Main event with Okada/Tanahashi/Nakamura was great. Tanahashi stuck around and did air guitar for the crowd for 15 minutes. Crowd totally loved him and he won with the High Fly Flow on Takahashi. He was definitely the biggest star, Okada got a big reaction as did Nakamura. I thought Nakamura was the best on the show. The way he moves, his whole act is just great, very unique and entertaining. Every moment he does in some stylized manner and it really makes him stand out.

Fun show, ran about 3 hours. They were pretty much out of shirts by intermission though so they should bring a lot more. I wanted to get a pair of red and black NJPW shirts but they were all out of XXL for both and only had XL left in Black so I got one of those. Was going to replace the Red shirt with a rainmaker shirt but they were almost out of those as well, no XLs left. I didn't care for any of Tanahashi's shirts so I got a NJPW 'Strong Style' shirt.

Random Taiwanese model doing the ring introduction announced Bad Luck Fale as Bad Luck FAIL, pretty funny.

None of the guys I went with were wrestling fans and $60USD was a lot to pay for the tickets but they all had a great time and really got into it, were having a great time, and agreed that we need to see [wrestling] the next time a show comes here.

Was it a good sized crowd?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

MassRafTer posted:

Not as many as the WWE shows get, but better than All Japan got last year when they came. I'm pretty bad at estimating crowd sizes but I'd say under a thousand people.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

PaybackJack posted:

Not as many as the WWE shows get, but better than All Japan got last year when they came. I'm pretty bad at estimating crowd sizes but I'd say under a thousand people.

FWIW, Strong Style Spirit reported 2000.

quote:

JPW "WRESTLING WORLD 2014 IN TAIWAN", 4/12/14 (Samurai! TV) (Look!)
Taiwan University Gymnasium NTU Sports Center
2,000 Fans

1. Ryusuke Taguchi & Sho Tanaka beat Mascara Dorada & Yohei Komatsu (8:54) when Taguchi used the Dodon on Komatsu.
2. Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask, El Desperado & BUSHI beat Rocky Romero, Alex Koslov, Jado & Gedo (12:08) when Tiger used a crucifix hold on Gedo.
3. Minoru Suzuki & Taichi beat Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI (10:51) when Suzuki used a Gotch-style piledriver on YOSHI-HASHI.
4. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii (c) beat KUSHIDA (12:56) with a brainbuster (2nd defense).
5. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi, Hirooki Goto & Captain Taiwan beat Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga (8:54) when Goto used the Shouten Kai on Tonga.
6. Special Singles Match: Jax Dane NWA beat Hiroyoshi Tenzan (7:29) with a spear.
7. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Satoshi Kojima (c) beat Rob Conway NWA (9:04) with a lariat (2nd defense).
8. Special 6 Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe & Tetsuya Naito beat Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Yujiro Takahashi (14:48) when Tanahashi used the High Fly Flow on Takahashi.

Glad to see the Hooligans are getting booked again, their match vs Liger/TMIV at the show that's presumably going on about now is for a shot at the Bucks.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Results are in from the second day in Taiwan/

quote:

NJPW "WRESTLING WORLD 2014 IN TAIWAN", 4/13/14 (Samurai! TV) (Look!)
Taiwan University Gymnasium NTU Sports Center
1,600 Fans

1. Ryusuke Taguchi & BUSHI beat El Desperado & Mascara Dorada (9:05) when Taguchi used the Dodon on Dorada.
2. Yujiro Takahashi, Jado & Gedo beat Mascara Don, Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu (8:58) when Takahashi used the Tokyo Pimps on Tanaka.
3. Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka beat Minoru Suzuki & Taichi (9:53) when Yano used the Uragasumi on Taichi.
4. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title #1 Contender Match: Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov beat Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask (10:09) when Romero pinned Tiger after the Contract Killer.:woop:
5. Togi Makabe & Yuji Nagata beat Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga (8:11) when Makabe used a King Kong kneedrop on Tonga.
6. IWGP Tag Team Title: Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows (c) beat Hirooki Goto & Captain Taiwan (9:31) when Gallows pinned Captain after the Magic Killer (3rd defense).
7. NWA World Tag Team Title: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima (c) beat Rob Conway NWA & Jax Dane NWA (10:33) when Tenzan used the Anaconda Vice on Dane (1st defense).
8. Special 6 Man Tag Match: Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii beat Hiroshi Tanahashi, Tetsuya Naito & KUSHIDA (13:40) when Nakamura used the Boma Ye on KUSHIDA.

Sucks that attendance went down, but that's probably to be expected when you run a venue in a foreign country that I don't think that's huge on wrestling on back to back days.

I'm just thrilled that my favorite tag team is getting booked and will get a shot at presumably the Dontaku show.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
That first pitch Nakamura threw was maybe the best celebrity first pitch I've ever seen.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

Kojima vs. Wes Brisco coming to u on ppv may 3!!!!!!!!!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

masato tatanka posted:

Kojima vs. Wes Brisco coming to u on ppv may 3!!!!!!!!!

i didnt realize it was possible for a match to make me want a show less

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I think it's cool that NJPW has decided every major iPPV of the year will include a WMOTYC as well as at least one MOTYC.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I think it's cool that NJPW has decided every major iPPV of the year will include a WMOTYC as well as at least one MOTYC.

this is an amazing point

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
If anyone is wondering the full card for Road to WRESTLING DONTAKU on the 19th is as follows:

BUSHI, Tiger Mask, Jushin Thuder Liger vs. Mascara Dorada, El Desperado, Ryusuke Taguchi
Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Yohei Komatsu & Manabu Nakanishi
Jado, Gedo, Takashi Iizuka, Toru Yano vs. Taichi, TAKA Michinoku, Shelton X Benjamin, Minoru Suzuki
KUSHIDA, Tomoaki Honma, Tetsuya Naito vs. YOSHI-HASHI, Yujiro Takahashi, Tomohiro Ishii
Captain New Japan & Yuji Nagata vs. Katsuyori Shibata & Hirooki Goto
Alex Koslov, Rocky Romero, Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Nick Jackson, Matt Jackson, Bad Luck Fale
Kazuchika Okada vs. Tama Tonga
Togi Makabe & Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson

Wrestling Dontaku's card is as follows:

IWGP Junior Championship Match: Kota Ibushi(c) vs. Ryusuke Taguchi
Wrestling vs. Jiu-Jitsu Match: Kazushi Sakuraba & Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Rolles Gracie & Daniel Gracie
IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match: Kazuchika Okada(c) vs. AJ Styles
IWGP Junior Tag Team Championship Match: Alex Koslov & Rocky Romero vs. Nick Jackson & Matt Jackson(c)
Takashi Iizuka & Toru Yano vs. Shelton X Benjamin & Minoru Suzuki
NWA Heavyweight Championship Match: Satoshi Kojima(c) vs. Wes Brisco
Special Elimination Tag Match: Jushin Thunder Liger, Tetsuya Naito, Togi Makabe, Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tama Tonga, Bad Luck Fale, Doc Gallows, Karl Anderson

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Wes Brisco has a lotta upside idk maybe he got better

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sakuraba and Nakamura is a tag team from an Inoki wet dream.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Wait a sec, that's apparently the match order? Weird that the title match isn't headlining. I think that kinda blows away Dave's theory of a possible title change, I can't see the end of a year+ long IWGP title reign happening in the middle of a show.

John Cena posted:

i didnt realize it was possible for a match to make me want a show less

I've gotten used to the presence of a lovely NWA match so it doesn't really bother me assuming it means Bruce Tharpe graces us with his presence. Poor Kojima though, he must think US wrestling blows when Rob Conway is far and away the cream of the crop he gets to face. What annoys me more as a MiSu fan is that they haven't found much for him to do in a year other than eternally feuding with YTR.

epitasis posted:

Wes Brisco has a lotta upside idk maybe he got better

I've never seen the guy wrestle in my life, but wasn't he terrible by TNA standards and not especially young?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 14, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

He had bad matches with Kurt Angle. All I can say in his favor is that he wasn't the worst wrestler in Aces and Eights. He still looked really bad in gimmick matches that would normally cover up how limited a worker is.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thauros posted:

Wait a sec, that's apparently the match order? Weird that the title match isn't headlining. I think that kinda blows away Dave's theory of a possible title change, I can't see the end of a year+ long IWGP title reign happening in the middle of a show.

Or they're worried about Styles holding the belt so they're doing it third from the top in hopes of Ibushi-Taguchi earning back some goodwill that might be lost.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Or they're worried about Styles holding the belt so they're doing it third from the top in hopes of Ibushi-Taguchi earning back some goodwill that might be lost.

No no no, Kota vs Taguchi is the opener. That special elimination tag match is the main event. So Okada vs. AJ Styles is 3rd from the open.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

No no no, Kota vs Taguchi is the opener. That special elimination tag match is the main event. So Okada vs. AJ Styles is 3rd from the open.

hahahaha that cannot be right

That's some TNA poo poo

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Nice to see NJPW have faith in AJ probably taking the belt...by burying it at the bottom of the card.

AJ Styles is terrible and I will be mad at pretendmanfights if he wins.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

hahahaha that cannot be right

That's some TNA poo poo

http://www.njpw.co.jp/english/match/card.php?e=838

Yeah, that match order looked so batshit to me that I assumed KFG found it on a site that didn't list in order and checked on the official site.

Regardless of who wins, Okada's first defense in almost three months should be a huge deal and shouldn't be in the spot that's usually been held by Bruce Tharpe and friends. To me this points to Okada retaining after a quick DQ finish or something, but this is really weird. It's better to shock the fans at the end than change your world title before intermission and kill the crowd if that's not what they want.

I'm guessing Nakamura vs. Daniel Gracie's headlining the big Yokohama Arena show which also seems kinda questionable.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Can't imagine that title match isn't a Bullet Club clusterfuck to set up AJ as a heel and a bigger match down the road.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

weekly font posted:

Can't imagine that title match isn't a Bullet Club clusterfuck to set up AJ as a heel and a bigger match down the road.

Yeah that was my first thought too, seeing them put the title match where it is on the card.

That's not really what I want out of NJPW though. I guess I understand though, their roster is kind of limited when it comes to title challengers so you need to have a few clunkers here and there.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

Yeah that was my first thought too, seeing them put the title match where it is on the card.

That's not really what I want out of NJPW though. I guess I understand though, their roster is kind of limited when it comes to title challengers so you need to have a few clunkers here and there.

Yeah, that is their biggest problem. They have three main eventers and they're sensibly doing a slow build to Okada vs. Nakamura since that should be a huge match headlining a Dome.

On the bright side as far as match quality's concerned, the Survivor Series style main event should get a lot of time and has some really good wrestlers on the face side.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

okada vs. styles is the headliner are you kiddin me. the card on the site is out of order because they announced a couple matches last week, take the bottom 3 and put them on top and that's probably what it's supposed to be.

e: there's also supposed to be 2 or 3 more matches announced, if you noticed - the current card is missing big names like Goto, Shibata, Captain etc.

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, that would make more sense. That would result in their standard ppv order of jr. tag open, MiSu v. YTR for match 2, and the NWA in the third slot.

• Locked thread