Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Got any extra firstborns?

Mazerunner posted:

This Federation outpost was slaughtered brutally... but hey! Free scrap! :D

All the slaves died and that's sad... but scrap! Yeah!!!

We lust for scrap. It's right there in the name. Be true to thyself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It would be pretty neat if you had to manage the morale of your crew as you jumped, so you had to try not to let too many sad things happen or your crew would be depressed and not work as well.

And by neat I mean terrible, please don't actually do this FTL devs.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Inadequately posted:

It would be pretty neat if you had to manage the morale of your crew as you jumped, so you had to try not to let too many sad things happen or your crew would be depressed and not work as well.

And by neat I mean terrible, please don't actually do this FTL devs.

Unless you have Mantis/Slug/Lanius crew, in which case they get upset that you're not murdering/cheating/eating everything in sight.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Momplestiltskin posted:

We lust for scrap. It's right there in the name. Be true to thyself.

I often feel like a dick about certain choices in events. But on the other hand...SCRAP!!!

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
One thing that I find funny in this game is you are almost always punished for trying to be nice, You find a mentally I'll man alone on an asteroid you take him aboard to find him help, He triggers the air lock and blasts himself and half your crew into space.

This game is very mean.

Kirenski
Sep 5, 2012
Blue options are your friend, I think with that if you have a level 2 medbay or a slug you can get out of that with Charlie!

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
I always go for every planet event, no matter how risky. My lucks held so far. I've had one guy go crazy and lost a crew member on another but I've made out like a bandit with free crew. Inversely, I always blow up slugs and pirates. gently caress. Them.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Oh, that reminds me: If you ever get a slug, name it Crepe. That is my only request.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Panboy posted:

One thing that I find funny in this game is you are almost always punished for trying to be nice, You find a mentally I'll man alone on an asteroid you take him aboard to find him help, He triggers the air lock and blasts himself and half your crew into space.

This game is very mean.

Rule one of FTL: never accept surrender from slugs.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

A jargogle posted:

Rule one of FTL: never accept surrender from slugs.

Unless you are in the Slug Home Nebula. Trust me on this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Momplestiltskin posted:

Unless you are in the Slug Home Nebula. Trust me on this.

Seconding.

Imagine them saying "I'll give you whatever's in my pockets if you let me live!" and realizing that the One Ring is there a moment too late.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

my dad posted:

Seconding.

Imagine them saying "I'll give you whatever's in my pockets if you let me live!" and realizing that the One Ring is there a moment too late.

You are now envisioning a space ship staffed by Ringwraiths.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Shadowlyger posted:

You mean USS Scraplust.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

Shadowlyger posted:

For some reason, I now want a mod that replaces missiles with hobbits.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013

Dirt5o8 posted:

I always go for every planet event, no matter how risky. My lucks held so far. I've had one guy go crazy and lost a crew member on another but I've made out like a bandit with free crew. Inversely, I always blow up slugs and pirates. gently caress. Them.

I usually do go for planet events, but I feel like I end up getting burned a lot more often than I get something good out of it. Especially the drat giant alien spiders ones, it seems like I lose a crew member about 80% of the time doing that.

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Silver Spooner posted:

I usually do go for planet events, but I feel like I end up getting burned a lot more often than I get something good out of it. Especially the drat giant alien spiders ones, it seems like I lose a crew member about 80% of the time doing that.

Yeah unless you have a clone bay or a blue option, I would typically avoid the giant alien spiders one.

On a completely unrelated note, Google apparently has a shitload of analytics on youtube I had never looked at before. The audience for this LP is 97.5% male. Ladies

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 14, 2014

Panboy
May 20, 2010

Le'me tell ya'll about them Apples.
That's silly everyone lies about their sex on the internet its actually 97% woman 3% men.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

Panboy posted:

That's silly everyone lies about their sex on the internet its actually 97% woman 3% men.

Pan-BOY- is it?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Momplestiltskin posted:

Yeah unless you have a clone bay or a blue option, I would typically avoid the giant alien spiders one.

On a completely unrelated note, Google apparently has a shitload of analytics on youtube I had never looked at before. The audience for this LP is 97.5% male. Ladies

Giant alien spiders are no joke!

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I love watching someone intelligently play this game while not doing boneheaded stuff like I just did.

Was flying the Fed. Cruiser, finally get the chance to unlock the Mantis ship, whittle it down, send in my boarding party...and forget to turn the artillery beam off. Ship blows up, I lose the quest and my boarders and possibly a small piece of myself.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Momplestiltskin posted:

Where do you find statistics like that on youtube videos?

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

ChaosSamusX posted:

Where do you find statistics like that on youtube videos?

Under My Channel>Analytics

You can only do this with your own videos, however.

e: Update!
Episode Nine Part 2/3: "The Sweet Release of Death" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO5QSTLxlyA
Let's Play with a Kitten: Bonus kitten video that has no place here I found under my uploads that I did not remember putting there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPu4y7cvMXQ

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 14, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You took a fair amount of hull damage from that rebel drone ship, actually, since every time its bombs completely destroyed a system, that was 1 point of hull damage. That happened, what, four times?

Also, losing your second Lanius is a huge blow. Lanius just don't play well with other races. It's weird; the AI seems to prioritize hacking/boarding the cloning bay on Lanius A ships. Or is it just my imagination?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You took a fair amount of hull damage from that rebel drone ship, actually, since every time its bombs completely destroyed a system, that was 1 point of hull damage. That happened, what, four times?

Also, losing your second Lanius is a huge blow. Lanius just don't play well with other races. It's weird; the AI seems to prioritize hacking/boarding the cloning bay on Lanius A ships. Or is it just my imagination?

Probably just your imagination but it would make sense to hack the clone bay if you board a ship with it, or just board into the bay so you can smash it faster. Otherwise you'll have to deal with yet more clones.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If only you had upgraded that clone bay, maybe the second Lanius might still be alive...

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

JT Jag posted:

If only you had upgraded that clone bay, maybe the second Lanius might still be alive...

Nah it did 3 damage so there was no hope for our little buddy. There were things I could have done, but by the time I realized what was happening it was too late to do them. C'est La Vie in Space. We will live (probably).

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Nope, even when completely destroying a system bombs do not do hull damage. That is only if a crew member takes out the system.

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 14, 2014

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

Dude, you never try to board against Calicos or target their bellies.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

See, when I said I wanted to be a mantis on account of all the killing, I was under the mistaken impression that I'd be the one doing the killing. Oh how foolish I was! Seems like that diary entry last page was a little too prophetic...

So, what's the over/under on my death count for this run!

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

See, when I said I wanted to be a mantis on account of all the killing, I was under the mistaken impression that I'd be the one doing the killing. Oh how foolish I was! Seems like that diary entry last page was a little too prophetic...

So, what's the over/under on my death count for this run!

...hehehehehehe

I did really like that diary entry, especially because you posted it after I had already started subjecting you to repeated death by airlock and you just didn't know it yet. I didn't go back and count, but I want to say as of part 2/3 you're sitting at 4-5 deaths. Don't worry, I'm sure you will die MANY more times before this is all over.

Dirt5o8 posted:

Dude, you never try to board against Calicos or target their bellies.

In this case a Calico boarded our Box Springs and tore a breach in the hull. It inflicted substantial damage, but we were eventually able to drive it to retreat with the ticklefingers strategy.

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 14, 2014

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Something about this game turning goons into prophets. Quick, somebody predict for your namesake to accidentally suffocate the entire crew by misclicking while manning the doors.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

anilEhilated posted:

Something about this game turning goons into prophets. Quick, somebody predict for your namesake to accidentally suffocate the entire crew by misclicking while manning the doors.

No danger there, my guy's barely going to be able to stand in one place without falling over and wetting himself by the time this run is through.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I don't know if this has been mentioned, You can toggle autofire on/off on a per weapon basis if you hold Control while choosing its target.
Meh, sure, put me in coach!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I too would like to repeatedly commit suicide by asphyxiation.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

Goddammit, another try and another fail with the Zoltan. When you play through with them can I get a guy? At least ONE incarnation of me will beat it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I have got to say that I love finding myself in a fight where the enemy can't harm me - or I them, and using it to grind my crew to mastery in things like Shields, Weapons, Engines and Piloting.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Can we see the list of names of crew, so we know where we stand in the gettin' on the ship line?

Momplestiltskin
Jan 15, 2014

This is as far as I got and should do for a while:

Next Up CrewMembers *Denotes Bio

0) Colander Crotch (Sorry I missed you the first time around!)
1) Cryohazard
2) Inadequately
3) Jon Joe
4) Skwirl
5) my dad
6) *ViggyNash
7) *Honeyboy2
8) *Carl
9) *my dad

No-Bio
6) Pierzak
7) Veloxyll
8) Renegret
9) Viggy Nash
10) JT Jag
11) First Tube
12) Hedrigall
13) Flesnolk
14) Silver Spooner

If you have already been a crewmember and want to become one again, you must write a biography of at least five sentences about your crew member's history and personal thoughts. In fact, even if you have not already been a crew member you can do this. If you write the bio you can jump to the front of the line (obviously behind anyone else who already wrote a bio). Because the first five have been waiting patiently, they are exempt from this and will be next. Bio Reservation slots start at #6. You can still throw your hat in for a crew name without a bio, but you will be behind anyone who has written a bio.

Momplestiltskin fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 15, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Biography:

So, the Lanius. Big spiky dudes that can kill you simply by existing in the same room. Why do they use so much drat oxygen anyway? It's as if they were designed to annoy all the other races. But I feel bad for them. If they tried to befriend someone of another species, their friendship would have to include a lifetime supply of oxygen tanks. Those are pretty cheap these days, but the cost'll add up.

Most people wouldn't mind that, but the Lanius get a bad rap because they have cloning bays instead of medical centers. Why? So they can heal themselves by dying and getting a new body. What sane being comes up with that plan? But that's why they're just so fascinating. It's the same feeling I had when those telepathic Slugs were first discovered, but I gave up on them when I found out they were a just a hivemind of angry psychopaths. Too much of a hassle to get them not to kill me. But with the Lanius, I don't have to worry about dying. Now, instead of running away from it, I can treat death as another new experience gained from being friends with them. And honestly, dying a few times can't be that bad, right?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
From what we've seen thus far it looks like the Lanius are robots, why they devour oxygen I have no idea unless they're runaway sentient weapons systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, sure, enqueue me please. As soon as we get a ship without a cloning bay, deaths will be a bit more permanent, which may cycle the roster faster :getin:

• Locked thread