Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Oldstench posted:

Live Windowlicker cover.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9GfEAaQUR4

Tinfoil over the speaker for distortion is awesome.

Recorded in my hometown :geert:

Edit: Bonus content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
I know this is a VST (boo! hiss!) and I'm a dirty software person (kill the heretic!), but has anyone here looked at and/or played with Scope?

Synthtopia page on it

Actual Glitchmachines product page

The first YouTube video (from the Synthtopia page) is a pretty good general overview, without getting into patching details. He covers that in another video.

For only $49, and with the modular sample library, and the flexibility, I'm terribly tempted...

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I'm really into this, but I feel like I'm not getting the information I need. It keeps saying 26 modules, but I haven't seen a list of what they are. The sound demos are impressive, but I don't know if it's all the built in sound generation or if it uses the sample library (I assume it loads samples? I don't know!)

That said I'm probably half an hour on KVR away from buying this thing.

e: from KVR

quote:

here are the modules:

mono delay
stereo delay
filter
pitcher (pitchshifter)
reducer
clipper
distortion
fold
waveshaper
noise
fm osc
-----
mono gainer
stereo gainer
mono mixer
dual mono mixer
stereo mixer
------------
envelope follower
lfo
midi
meta control
quad scaler
add/sub
mult/div
random in
random out
lag

coolskull fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 15, 2014

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
All the Emu module chat made me want to mention the Procussion. All drums, all the time. There's 1000 sounds amongst all the drum kits, and it sounds great despite the complete lack of effects, z-plane witchcraft, or any kind of filter. My favorite features are the midi-note menu navigation, so you can program it from your drum controller with sticks, whip-fast MIDI timing, and six outputs to get your tweak on with. Aaaaag, gonna have to drag it out of the closet and sample the heck out of it... They're usually well under $100 too.

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
Tested the tr-8 at a shop and I now need one. Getting a volca tomorrow to sate me through the summer and keep me sane. Apparently going to this thing: https://www.midihack.com Any synthgoons going there?

I mean I hope I'm getting a volca tomorrow, the guy at the shop has been telling me so for three days, and their warehouse is just across town.
Good times. Better start building my ambika drat gently caress

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

utamaru posted:

Tested the tr-8 at a shop and I now need one. Getting a volca tomorrow to sate me through the summer and keep me sane. Apparently going to this thing: https://www.midihack.com Any synthgoons going there?

I mean I hope I'm getting a volca tomorrow, the guy at the shop has been telling me so for three days, and their warehouse is just across town.
Good times. Better start building my ambika drat gently caress

Volca beats, keys or bass?

I'm pretty happy with the beats so far, the kick and hats are really nice. I sync it with an old DR-110 for the snare though.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Just got approved for the Zebra Dinosaur Crossgrade offer and sent the Virus safely on its way to California this morning.

I've also begun work on a demo track for the Roland MKS-30 which I'll use to sell it in my eBay listing.

Once I've sold enough synths I'm going to reward myself... with some synths.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Radiapathy posted:

Once I've sold enough synths I'm going to reward myself... with some synths.

This is a solid plan!

Just got an Eventide Space in the mail today. Everyone should have this effects box. So far I've been able to use it as a reverb and echo but also as a distortion/overdrive. There's over 100 presets to gently caress with in this unit. Just tested it with my SH-101 and now I'm going to move on to the JX-3p. Reverb heavennnnnn

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
If anyone is after a Eurorack started kit for cheap or a Phatty Slim, let me know. :circlefap:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

This is a solid plan!

Just got an Eventide Space in the mail today.

I got a Monotron Delay :colbert:
After seeing the Legowelt studio tour, I figured it would be a nice way to hopefully warm up the sound my DX27 a bit.

Edit: Awfully jealous of that Eventide by the way. That or the Strymon is so high on my list.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 15, 2014

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Oh god, what have I done?

(it sounds nice, though I suspect it has a dead voice chip; there's a distinct thump/thud when I hit certain notes)

EDIT: Okay, so maybe not a dead voice chip, something odd it seems.

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 15, 2014

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

BKPR posted:

I'm really into this, but I feel like I'm not getting the information I need. It keeps saying 26 modules, but I haven't seen a list of what they are. The sound demos are impressive, but I don't know if it's all the built in sound generation or if it uses the sample library (I assume it loads samples? I don't know!)

That said I'm probably half an hour on KVR away from buying this thing.

e: from KVR

I'm a bit disappointed to not see a step sequencer there. I'm on the fence about this one, but that would easily push me over.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

VoodooXT posted:

Oh god, what have I done?

(it sounds nice, though I suspect it has a dead voice chip; there's a distinct thump/thud when I hit certain notes)

EDIT: Okay, so maybe not a dead voice chip, something odd it seems.

Post a sound demo maybe? What controller are you using to trigger the synth?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
ming mecca better come out or else

incase lurkers havent heard of it: http://www.specialstagesystems.com/world/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ay74S34XI

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Post a sound demo maybe? What controller are you using to trigger the synth?

I'm using my Waldorf Blofeld as a keyboard controller. I'm going to have to see about getting an audio demo once I get a recording setup going.

To further elaborate, I've been trying to play the Microwave in mono by just connecting one of the LR outs to my practice amp. However, I did notice something weird: so, I was playing it in single patch mode and it's outputting through the standard LR stereo mix jacks, but it seems that one voice is outputting to the four individual outputs which shouldn't even be possible. I tried playing in multi mode and setting the pan control to middle and it seems to get all eight voices into mono rather than stereo. I tried setting the stereo width to mono in the global parameters but it seems to have no effect. I'm wondering if there's a setting that you can only access through a specialized controller or if I need to replace the internal battery or just do a factory reset. I should also try to use my other synth keyboard as a MIDI controller and see if I get the same problem.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I need to confess a thoughtcrime for public absolution or something.

75%-90% of the time I spend making music is sperging the gently caress out over a kick drum until I'm happy with it, which realistically is getting stupid because I'm terrible at making them 90% of the time and I'm just recycling the same samples over and over. I'm trying to decide if I want to just get some compressed as gently caress samples and go nuts so I can actually make something for once but that feels like cheating if I just buy a Vengeance pack, but poo poo, at least those dudes actually make things with Vengeance. I literally took a half hour break in the middle of writing this post to gently caress with drums and that's just making me angry at the world.

Like, does it just make sense to go #fuckit #yolo and get the same overprocessed drums (which I like) as everyone else and then learn drum layering and compression from scratch at a slower pace while actually making stuff, or does anyone have any good suggestions for getting that kind of sound that I might have missed? Or what the gently caress am I doing I don't know.

:(

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

75%-90% of the time I spend making music is sperging the gently caress out over a kick drum until I'm happy with it, which realistically is getting stupid because I'm terrible at making them 90% of the time and I'm just recycling the same samples over and over. I'm trying to decide if I want to just get some compressed as gently caress samples and go nuts so I can actually make something for once but that feels like cheating if I just buy a Vengeance pack, but poo poo, at least those dudes actually make things with Vengeance. I literally took a half hour break in the middle of writing this post to gently caress with drums and that's just making me angry at the world.

Like, does it just make sense to go #fuckit #yolo and get the same overprocessed drums (which I like) as everyone else and then learn drum layering and compression from scratch at a slower pace while actually making stuff, or does anyone have any good suggestions for getting that kind of sound that I might have missed? Or what the gently caress am I doing I don't know.

I'm in a similar place. I feel probably the best way to go about it is to use the processed-as-gently caress Vengeance samples, and then if I feel the need to polish the track into something I want to show people I sperg out over the percussion after!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I went to Guitar Center today and just hosed around with a TR-8 for like an hour. It felt reaaalll good.

gently caress, man. I don't have the money for one of those.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
some good advice I heard once was to just lay a track down as quickly as possible with whatever sounds you have handy and later on tweak the sounds to your hearts content. this is not to say I tend to follow said advice, but its something to think about. making my poo poo sound good as I'm composing keeps me happy and motivated to continue working but I will also tend to get hung up on the minutia and eventually throw up my arms and do something else.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Flanky posted:

I'm in a similar place. I feel probably the best way to go about it is to use the processed-as-gently caress Vengeance samples, and then if I feel the need to polish the track into something I want to show people I sperg out over the percussion after!

Pretty much this, only since I'm also a nerd over heavily processed and layered synth sounds it's not just the drums that get this treatment but instead I'll use a preset or modify one slightly* so long as it's around 90% of what the final sound I'm looking for will be while I'm in the writing process. Now, on that front, I'm coming up on one year since I started getting back into making music and it's taken me that long (ok, really 6 months since I was researching gear more than I was actually playing for the first 6 months) to finally start writing things that I'm actually happy with instead of poo poo melodies and dead-end progressions. The best part is I'm actually using and happy with everything I've purchased on a regular basis both hardware and software wise so I'm spending way more time writing and just letting myself save up for the final few things I've concluded would be nice to have but don't need them immediately.

*I know, I'm a monster for using presets but when I'm writing I give way more of a poo poo about actually writing and I know I can obsess over dialing in the tone and sounds later.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

75%-90% of the time I spend making music is sperging the gently caress out over a kick drum until I'm happy with it, which realistically is getting stupid because I'm terrible at making them 90% of the time and I'm just recycling the same samples over and over...
Are you having fun? If so, maybe that's just your thing. Ain't nothing wrong with it.

Sometimes I give myself a hard time about not being as productive as I'd like, or even as I used to be- but the fact is, every minute I sit down with my DAW and my synths I'm having a blast, even if I don't have much to show for it. I watch almost zero TV or movies, play almost zero games, and I haven't listened to music recreationally for like three years. And I don't miss any of it. Having too much fun.

What I'm getting at, is are you judging yourself unfairly? Or do you have some clear personal goals you're struggling to achieve?

some good advice I heard once was to just lay a track down as quickly as possible with whatever sounds you have handy and later on tweak the sounds to your hearts content.
This is how I work when I'm serious about getting something done, and it's quite effective. I actually lay down everything with General MIDI patches (used to use actual GM modules, but Cubase's Halion Sonic plugin has a complete GM set and it doesn't have polyphony issues). "Synth bass here, pad there" and within a couple of hours, there's the skeleton for a complete song. Then I can spend all the time I want on replacing patches and getting things sounding right.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

Are you having fun? If so, maybe that's just your thing. Ain't nothing wrong with it.

Not really, I want to do it myself and I feel like it's cheating to grab a pre-made sample with the right kind of sound. But still, I'm getting hung up and frustrated.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
There's nothing wrong with being utilitarian as gently caress when it comes to making music. I mean creating original material from scratch is fun, but if the result you're aiming for can also be achieved in 10 seconds by just sampling a kick, why beat yourself up about it.

That's also one of the main reasons I like drum machines, the limitations they impose force you to be creative in programming and the rest of the sound design.
Don't overthink it, keep a broad focus. Fun first, musical ethics later.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Not really, I want to do it myself and I feel like it's cheating

There's no such thing as "cheating" in music. There's only lying :colbert:

Also, don't make your kick design process part of your composition process. Just spend a day cranking out just kicks. Then use those results.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Not really, I want to do it myself and I feel like it's cheating to grab a pre-made sample with the right kind of sound. But still, I'm getting hung up and frustrated.

I've come to think that unsctructured time is one of the worst enemies I have for making stuff. I need to compartmentalise things into "writing time, no sound tweaking" and "ok to sound tweak time".

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Some of the best times I've had were spent on designing kick drums :)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

massive spider posted:

I've come to think that unsctructured time is one of the worst enemies I have for making stuff. I need to compartmentalise things into "writing time, no sound tweaking" and "ok to sound tweak time".

And then you have people like me who has no idea how to write, and thus rely on the sounds to give inspiration.... but I can't make sounds without context either. It's a perpetual loop of terribleness.

I've yet to find a place/tutorial/writeup that can teach me anything about writing songs :(

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Your Computer posted:

I've yet to find a place/tutorial/writeup that can teach me anything about writing songs :(

Allow me to pimp out my opus of SA threads

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472948

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Soundware exists because people use it. I'm sure even people you respect and/or idolize. I'm not going to make a multisample of loving anything better than Kurzweil, why would I feel bad using the fruits of their labor? To flip it the other direction, even if literally all you did was put together canned loops in live it would still be you doing it. If it sounds good, it's good.
Also holy lol getting up your own rear end about making acid. :v:

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
As far as samplers go, does the ESX still hold up compared to other samplers? I have an EMX and I like the interface (but the sounds are kind of awful), and I've been looking for a sampler that isn't expensive. I don't really do house or anything, but I want to experiment with sampling in an ambient / glitch sort of way.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Wafflehound, I have solved your kickdrum problem.

Crank the loving gain on the mixer input from your 606's kick drum until it clips.

Now do the same on the gain from your 303.

Seriously though, get any ideas of 'cheating' out of your head. This is not a competition, it's artwork. You don't get a scorecard, there is no right and wrong.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I would just get the Vengeance kick pack or another similar pack with lots of different kicks. I think people spend a little too much time on kick drums, when the more important thing is making the rest of the song fit with the kick drum, especially the sub-bass. In a club no one cares if you sampled your kick drum or created it from a sine wave you generated on your homemade synthesizer. Speaking of techno and other four on the floor genres here.

I wouldn't apply this reasoning to other elements of the song, but I think in terms of productivity it definitely helps and lets you focus on the more important/interesting parts of the song.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm going to just try grabbing a demo of a pack or something similar and gently caress around for a bit and see if I'm happy with the results or If it just leaves me feeling super dirty. :v:

Also, honest question, but I know we've talked here about what the "next 909" or similar decade defining synth is, is there any reason not to say Vengeance samples? They're a hallmark of sound design of dance music from the last few years almost to the point of mimicking the 909 in terms of presence.

toadee posted:

Crank the loving gain on the mixer input from your 606's kick drum until it clips.

I traded the 6 for a Mopho keyboard in, like, June. And then I traded that for a bunch of euro. And then I sold that euro for three times what I paid for the 606. I should become a pawn shop guy or something.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Here you go: http://freshonthenet.co.uk/the-manual-by-the-klf/

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Also, honest question, but I know we've talked here about what the "next 909" or similar decade defining synth is, is there any reason not to say Vengeance samples? They're a hallmark of sound design of dance music from the last few years almost to the point of mimicking the 909 in terms of presence.

I kind of get the point, and putting it like this even makes me think you might be right, but I'm not sure if that would be something we should we happy about. :ohdear:

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 16, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Also, honest question, but I know we've talked here about what the "next 909" or similar decade defining synth is, is there any reason not to say Vengeance samples?
I think that by design (and by customer demand), Vengeance and similar sample packs are not about forging new ground, but about replicating things that have already been done. You buy their Trap pack when you want to sound like Lil B. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

For something to become considered a defining instrument, it has to be used in a way that's initially pioneering. I don't think that's ever going to happen with a sample pack, because that's not what they're for- they're for quickly getting to a sound you already know you want. They will capture the defining instruments of the future (I predict: 303/808/909), but they won't be making history- they'll be reflecting it.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 16, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sjoewe posted:

I kind of get the point, and putting it like this even makes me think you might be right, but I'm not sure if that would be something we should we happy about it. :ohdear:

I mean, I get what you're getting at a bit, but why not? There are entire genres that are basically defined by the 909 kick or have the open hat (which was a sample) all over it. In a lot of ways the 909 was just as much of an easy button as the Vengeance stuff, it was just hardware so we feel okay fetishizing it more.

Radiapathy posted:

For something to become considered a defining instrument, it has to be used in a way that's initially pioneering. I don't think that's ever going to happen with a sample pack, because that's not what they're for- they're for quickly getting to a sound you already know you want. They will capture the defining instruments of the future (I predict: 303/808/909), but they won't be making history- they'll be reflecting it.

I get what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment. I think the "initially pioneering" thing is secondary to it being absolutely everywhere when it comes to looking at a certain instruments influence. Though you could also be right, I doubt there's a rulebook out there for what counts in this situation.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I get what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment. I think the "initially pioneering" thing is secondary to it being absolutely everywhere when it comes to looking at a certain instruments influence.
That's what I'm saying, though. It's not going to be in a sample pack until it's already been used in enough places to be in demand.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I mean, I get what you're getting at a bit, but why not? There are entire genres that are basically defined by the 909 kick or have the open hat (which was a sample) all over it. In a lot of ways the 909 was just as much of an easy button as the Vengeance stuff, it was just hardware so we feel okay fetishizing it more.

Not completely. The 909 was a bottom-up kind of thing, like the amen-break or the hoover-chord. Where people took ownership of something originally intend to be something completely else, and by forcing it completely out of context they created something new.

Vengeance is the absolute opposite of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I have nothing of value to add to the conversation at this point, but I just have to say that I did a mad :psyduck: at that. It's literally IMDABES.

Also, I'm pretty sure the vengeance packs are all about sound exactly like what's really popular exactly when the pack is released (and not necessarily a week after). A lot of the samples are definitely useful though.

e: swagswagswag

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 16, 2014