Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I ran stone vigil a little bit ago on my new WHM. Our tank was a PLD that hadn't done his level 40 quest. Stone vigil without shield oath is an experience for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

Mr. Nice! posted:

I ran stone vigil a little bit ago on my new WHM. Our tank was a PLD that hadn't done his level 40 quest. Stone vigil without shield oath is an experience for sure.

As someone who has ran Stone Vigil 5 times within the past two days, let me pose the question. If you think a 41 Paladin without Shield Oath is hard, how do you rate a 41 Gladiator who never began his Paladin Job quests?

A rather deathly experience.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kreczor posted:

As someone who has ran Stone Vigil 5 times within the past two days, let me pose the question. If you think a 41 Paladin without Shield Oath is hard, how do you rate a 41 Gladiator who never began his Paladin Job quests?

:stare:

Hydaelyn have mercy.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

I rolled a character on Gilgamesh before checking to see if there was a Goon Guild - is there anyone on that server that has a free company? I'm pretty new to MMOs and it would be nice to have someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

Ahhpple posted:

I rolled a character on Gilgamesh before checking to see if there was a Goon Guild - is there anyone on that server that has a free company? I'm pretty new to MMOs and it would be nice to have someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Re-roll on Excalibur, there are tons of goons (one completely full FC, another running at about half-capacity). Check out the OP for some pretty good information on getting started and visit the goon site on https://www.ffgoons.com for additional information. There's always someone online and most will be able to answer any questions you have with ease, so as a new to MMO player, it's highly encouraged that you tag along.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!

Kreczor posted:

There's a guy in my guild on Goblin that absolutely refuses to use his job crystals unless we're doing higher end raids. He somehow has it firmly in his head that his Gladiator can tank more effectively than his paladin. That his Thaumaturge can out dps his Black Mage. That his Bard is a waste of time and Archer is clearly the superior choice. I've run parsers on him. I've laid is out in no uncertain terms. He is just loving wrong. It looks fun for a challenge, but otherwise all you're doing is dragging down 3-7 other players because you wanna be a special snowflake.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, Stone Vigil is fine. The only two stinkers of dungeons are Toto-Rak and Aurum Vale.

I'm not fond of Halatali either. Only two bosses there.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

ATTN TANKS: if you want to speed run sonething you need to actually use flash/whatever the warrior has to build enmity or as soon as I have to heal you everything aggros on me and I'm loving dead. And when you loving do it twice in a row and force me to leave I have to eat the loving lockout.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Holidae posted:

There's a guy in my guild on Goblin that absolutely refuses to use his job crystals unless we're doing higher end raids. He somehow has it firmly in his head that his Gladiator can tank more effectively than his paladin. That his Thaumaturge can out dps his Black Mage. That his Bard is a waste of time and Archer is clearly the superior choice. I've run parsers on him. I've laid is out in no uncertain terms. He is just loving wrong. It looks fun for a challenge, but otherwise all you're doing is dragging down 3-7 other players because you wanna be a special snowflake.

BRD probably has the least to lose from dropping its job crystal (if you're the kind of person who drops job crystals, you obviously don't care to help other people's DPS with requiem or other songs), but I wonder what you'd even gain, cross-class wise. BRD already gets the three main DPS cooldowns, so you could get... Mercy Stroke. Doubt that's worth losing 10 DEX.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yup. Type /changepose.

/cpose

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

AlmightyBob posted:

ATTN TANKS: if you want to speed run sonething you need to actually use flash/whatever the warrior has to build enmity or as soon as I have to heal you everything aggros on me and I'm loving dead. And when you loving do it twice in a row and force me to leave I have to eat the loving lockout.

Yes, if you are tanking a speedrun everything needs to have a red nameplate before you get to the destination. If anything is still orange, your healer will get gibbed immediately and you will die.

As a Warrior I use a combination of Tomahawk and Flash to accommodate this.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I outrun everything and then immediately overpower the entire mess. Works pretty well. :shrug:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Boten Anna posted:

Yes, if you are tanking a speedrun everything needs to have a red nameplate before you get to the destination. If anything is still orange, your healer will get gibbed immediately and you will die.

As a Warrior I use a combination of Tomahawk and Flash to accommodate this.

SpazmasterX posted:

I outrun everything and then immediately overpower the entire mess. Works pretty well. :shrug:

What kind of scrub doesn't use Steel Cyclone and overpower like crazy?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Overpower spam and Steel Cyclone should have you swimming in enmity.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I weave in Infuriate>Steel Cyclone after I use my damage buffs.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The tank I had was just face pulling :(

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

ElMaligno posted:

What kind of scrub doesn't use Steel Cyclone and overpower like crazy?

A drat Paladin that's what kind.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is why I'll never have a DPS or healer job at 50. I can't trust anyone but myself to tank.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Dragongem posted:

I'm not fond of Halatali either. Only two bosses there.

What? There's 3 bosses. The fire sprite, the water lizard, and the ogre boss.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Yeah, I mostly don't have any trouble at all with low level dungeons, I roulette them all the time and do fine, and I think the main reason for this is that I play the tank, which I think is the main job that fucks everything up in those low level things.

I did just have a funny trial queue though, I rouletted Titan HM, right after the heart phase half the team died, so me, a dps, one of the healers, and the other tank just 4 manned the entire final phase by ourselves. Was pretty funny.

Now if only I could beat Titan Ex.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok attempting this hatching tide thing. With regard to Bronze, Silver and Gold eggs, what exactly am I looking for? Is it going to stand out? Is it randomized and only visible to me? Because so far, I don't see anything, and I'm running around.

[edit] or are they only OUTSIDE of cities?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Feenix posted:

Ok attempting this hatching tide thing. With regard to Bronze, Silver and Gold eggs, what exactly am I looking for? Is it going to stand out? Is it randomized and only visible to me? Because so far, I don't see anything, and I'm running around.

They are outside of cities. You're looking for spriggans hugging eggs. Murder them.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Ps4 question. Sorry if it's been talked about but didn't see it brought up in the last few pages .

So I played the beta on ps4 and thought it was fun but the text was really small on my 60inch. Is there a way to make it bigger? I was thinking of getting the full game but the text made it hard to read quest dialog and chat.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

goldjas posted:

Yeah, I mostly don't have any trouble at all with low level dungeons, I roulette them all the time and do fine, and I think the main reason for this is that I play the tank, which I think is the main job that fucks everything up in those low level things.

I did just have a funny trial queue though, I rouletted Titan HM, right after the heart phase half the team died, so me, a dps, one of the healers, and the other tank just 4 manned the entire final phase by ourselves. Was pretty funny.

Now if only I could beat Titan Ex.

We'll get it someday. (I'm Aranith, I was in there with you tonight.) It's weird how I thought the multiple landslides were going to be the hard part. Nope. That's where the hard part starts. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In East Shroud do you have to do the level 40+ fates to get the atma?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

In East Shroud do you have to do the level 40+ fates to get the atma?

any fates works, i have gotten them from lvl 4s and from 50s

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

any fates works, i have gotten them from lvl 4s and from 50s

This is the one atma that has been an rear end in a top hat. I have 10 so far. I just need two more. >:|

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Do you guys value armor # over the skill attributes (Strength +2) of armor?

Is it just personal preference or is there a good case for one over the other?

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

Outside of the quests, there is one coddled spriggan guaranteed in Aleport, behind the lighthouse east of town. he dropped a single silver egg each time I killed him, and had a fairly short respawn timer. The egg rewards aren't great though, mostly glamour spheres and coins to trade for gil. Gold spheres can drop level 5 spheres, I got level 3 spheres from the few silvers I opened.

Does anyone know if the last quest reward in the series gives you the barding? I read rumors of that the other day on reddit.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

UglyDucklett posted:

Does anyone know if the last quest reward in the series gives you the barding? I read rumors of that the other day on reddit.

Yes it does.

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011

Can't see it in the pic but it rests at an angle on his head.

G Prestige
Jul 11, 2008

What do you want me to say?
2 things:

and

FFXIV surpasses 2 million subscriber mark.

Fingerspitzengefuhl
Jul 2, 2007
Krieg ohne Hass

Shoopuf posted:

Does anybody know what gear Alka Zolka (the SCH teacher) is wearing? I want to glamor my WAR to look like him. :3: He is my hero.

Unfortunately I think his armor is the body from the darksteel set for dragoons, the two star i70 stuff. Too bad, he would be a cool one to in-game cosplay for sure.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

They are outside of cities. You're looking for spriggans hugging eggs. Murder them.

Are they in specific locations or what? I combed the North Shroud looking for one the other day and didn't find any.

Feenix posted:

Do you guys value armor # over the skill attributes (Strength +2) of armor?

Is it just personal preference or is there a good case for one over the other?
Just equip whatever the best stuff relevant for your job you can get your hands on. There shouldn't be any situations where you're making a significant tradeoff between armor and stats on the armor.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
I'm really sorry to ask this but I just don't have time to read through all the recent posts. Is buying the collectors edition worth it over the standard? Some of the stuff looks neat but I'm not sure if it's 80 bucks neat. I'm going for ps4 if it matters. I don't care about going digital either unless it gives better frame rates or something.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Moochewmoo posted:

I'm really sorry to ask this but I just don't have time to read through all the recent posts. Is buying the collectors edition worth it over the standard? Some of the stuff looks neat but I'm not sure if it's 80 bucks neat. I'm going for ps4 if it matters. I don't care about going digital either unless it gives better frame rates or something.

Really depends on how much you value DEBUCHOCOBO, another exclusive mount, a neat helmet, and on the physical side a neat artbook and a security token. Does that sound like $80 worth of stuff to you?

(Fat-bo is worth a lot, from where I sit, and there are advantages to having the security token separate from your phone or whatev)

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
You could also use Blue Stacks or a related application to boot up the mobile token app on your PC.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ahhpple posted:

There are 3 or 4 of us on Gilgamesh if you stick around. I'm Hank Nice on there. Drop me a line. Otherwise, yeah, start a new character on Excalibur.

Fingerspitzengefuhl posted:

Unfortunately I think his armor is the body from the darksteel set for dragoons, the two star i70 stuff. Too bad, he would be a cool one to in-game cosplay for sure.

The darksteel dragoon stuff is just a haubergeon and a couple of other items. It's no different other than default color to any other one at various levels.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I just played a bit on PS4 after months of not playing the PC version...it is not bad at all, but it is going to take some getting used to. Any tips? Also, how do I full screen the map?

I may end up rolling fresh on a new server too. Aside from Excalibur, are there any servers that are particularly populated? I rolled in Midgardsommer.

Edit: I will say that I wish they used the ps4 patcher rather than having a launcher :smith:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Finally beat Aurum Vale. Got all the mechanics down, but it still took almost the full time limit due to my party eating as many status effects as possible on trash. And a tank who wanted to clear every room before progressing.

I also got pissy when I (DRG) had to run to the furthest fruit and back during boss 1.

Hopefully I never have to go there again.

• Locked thread