Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

TwoPair posted:

The only possible good outcome of "Grayson" is if THE INDESTRUCTIBLE DICK GRAYSON APPEARS LIKE A HUMAN CYCLONE chomping a cigar with those pistols.

Apparently one of the writers did mention that they're aware of Grayson's sex appeal, and plan to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

HitTheTargets posted:

Apparently one of the writers did mention that they're aware of Grayson's sex appeal, and plan to use it.

So this means they probably just read Gambit and are gonna try to rip it off.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
All speculations but I can buy his theory about DC changing plans midway

http://www.gothamspoilers.com/2014/04/so-about-nightwing-30.html

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I know is Bleeding Cool and all but first look Wally West

Or so they claim.

I know i'm kind of late to this but why are they changing the race/sexuality/whatever of all the non main characters.

They had to go so far as to put Cyborg in the JL just so it wasn't 6 white folks and an alien (whose alter ego is white), if the reboot let them pull the ol race swap then why not just make Aquaman or Barry Allen black? Or Wonder Woman actually look Mediterranean?

It's kind of a dumb thing to get mad about but it seems especially stupid of them to turn the wisecracking guy from a broken home whose superpower is running fast into the black stereotype grand slam.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Because for all their posturing of the "all new 52!" they still are banking heavily on nostalgia and name recognition which second tier characters don't have.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Because for all their posturing of the "all new 52!" they still are banking heavily on nostalgia and name recognition which second tier characters don't have.

Wally has/had more recognition then Barry for quite awhile. It's kind of why him disappearing was such an annoyance.

I guess maybe they're were hoping for the headline "Black guy becomes superhero who runs fast" to catch some eyes.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Wally was the Flash I grew up with in the DCAU, so to have him get the shaft so bad in New 52 is just so terrible :ughh:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Solaris Knight posted:

Wally was the Flash I grew up with in the DCAU, so to have him get the shaft so bad in New 52 is just so terrible :ughh:

Sorry but DC only cares about who the characters were when Geoff Johns was growing up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Sorry but DC only cares about who the characters were when Geoff Johns was growing up.

Now now. Characters Geoff Johns didn't personally like are just as likely to get screwed.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Fortunately our generation's Geoff Johns will right things by return Wally back to prominence and since the gen after us doesn't actually read comics he won't ever get replaced for nostalgia reasons.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Wally West WAS the Flash when Geoff Johns was growing up. The Barry Allen push is a DiDio thing.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Chaltab posted:

Wally West WAS the Flash when Geoff Johns was growing up. The Barry Allen push is a DiDio thing.

Johns even has a fantastic run on the Flash using Wally!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Chaltab posted:

Crisis happened in 1985. Johns was born in like 1972. So depending on when he started reading, Barry was probably his Flash. And the way he writes him and Hal as besties makes me think he did indeed grow up with Barry.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
I've always assumed Johns was adoringly watching Superfriends long before he ever picked up a comic book.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DynamicSloth posted:

I've always assumed Johns was adoringly watching Superfriends long before he ever picked up a comic book.

I know he did, as he did commentary with Waid for the dvd set.
Johns is also a fan of the pre crisis Legion, and other pre crisis poo poo. He grew up with Barry.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

And that probably means no female Dr. Fate, either. Booooooo

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

coconono posted:

And that probably means no female Dr. Fate, either. Booooooo

There was a Female Dr. Fate? :psyduck:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Now I'm a bit curious about something. I've brought up that the Justice League cartoon did a lot to set who is known to people as "The Justice League" for likely anyone under thirty. But I never really thought to ask why John Stewart was picked instead of any of the other three lanterns at the time. Kyle shows up in a Superman episode previous to the Justice League series I believe so that would have been a natural move to make. Was John's inclusion strictly above adding diversity to the cast?

Whatever the reason was it had an impact. I had friends who asked me why the Green Lantern movie had a white guy playing the lead when that movie came out.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

There were two actually. Inza Nelson got her own solo series that was awesome and you should read it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

She and her step son merged so Dr. Fate switched genders randomly, and she was attracted to the step son and it was all icky wierdness.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Trast posted:

Now I'm a bit curious about something. I've brought up that the Justice League cartoon did a lot to set who is known to people as "The Justice League" for likely anyone under thirty. But I never really thought to ask why John Stewart was picked instead of any of the other three lanterns at the time. Kyle shows up in a Superman episode previous to the Justice League series I believe so that would have been a natural move to make. Was John's inclusion strictly above adding diversity to the cast?

Whatever the reason was it had an impact. I had friends who asked me why the Green Lantern movie had a white guy playing the lead when that movie came out.

A lot of talented people such as the late Dwayne McDuffie worked on the show and understood the importance of diversify on the team, it's the reason a lot of other characters race were changed beyond "everybody is white".

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Waterhaul posted:

A lot of talented people such as the late Dwayne McDuffie worked on the show and understood the importance of diversify on the team, it's the reason a lot of other characters race were changed beyond "everybody is white".

That is what I figured. The Animated DC always seemed to make good calls with things like that.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

Johns even has a fantastic run on the Flash using Wally!

To be fair, he basically just retreaded Waid's Return of Barry Allen by creating a villain whose sole purpose was to make sure Wally knew he was never as good as the one true bestest Flash ever Barry Allen.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Waterhaul posted:

I don't recall anyone's race actually being changed for JLU, actually. They were just good about picking a roster with characters of color the DCU already had but had never put in other media.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Yet another Green Lantern crossover is happening: Uprising

Stop me if you've heard this one before:

Van Jensen posted:

I think, at the end of "Uprising," people are going to see that it seems like the Corps has gone through their darkest hour, and that things have changed in monumental ways, and it will seem like it couldn't possibly go any worse for John Stewart or the rest of the Lanterns, but even after that, they're going to have to dig down deeper.

So glad I dropped all the Lantern titles without "Red" in it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Space_Butler posted:

Yet another Green Lantern crossover is happening: Uprising

Stop me if you've heard this one before:

So glad I dropped all the Lantern titles without "Red" in it.

Do they just have one storyline for Green Lantern?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Chaltab posted:

I don't recall anyone's race actually being changed for JLU, actually. They were just good about picking a roster with characters of color the DCU already had but had never put in other media.

I could've sworn both Hawkgirl and Luthor had their races changed in the show and some other supporting characters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Waterhaul posted:

I could've sworn both Hawkgirl and Luthor had their races changed in the show and some other supporting characters.

No Luthor was Luthor and Hawkgirl was an alien.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Luthor's look was based off of Telly Sevalas and therefore pretty strongly Grecian, which combined with his healthy tan caused some people to think he was supposed to be black back when Superman TAS first started. Not that there's anything wrong with that! </seinfeld>

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

McSpanky posted:

Luthor's look was based off of Telly Sevalas and therefore pretty strongly Grecian, which combined with his healthy tan caused some people to think he was supposed to be black back when Superman TAS first started.

Yeah this was what I was referring to. He wasn't black but they did shift things around so that everybody wasn't of the same ethnicity.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:suicide:

Speaking of Lantern books, Sinestro was pretty decent.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

MonsterEnvy posted:

No Luthor was Luthor and Hawkgirl was an alien.

She was portrayed vaguely Hispanic.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Die Laughing posted:

Very, very vaguely.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Uh, when was this?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Every Thanagarian was voiced by a Hispanic actor. That's about it though.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

PantsOptional posted:

Every Thanagarian was voiced by a Hispanic actor. That's about it though.

When they invaded, every Thanagarian was 100% a hot-blooded Latin.

quote:

Victor Rivers
Hector Elizondo
Elizabeth Peña

(also once somebody in a crowd called her "Chica Halcón".)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ha ha holy poo poo you're kidding me. Green Lantern has almost become the new "A TITAN DIES" in terms of how predictable it is because things always get worse for the Corps. Yet nobody ever dies or gets injured but redshirt lanterns. Kilowog and Mogo and Arisia (etc.) all make it through fine but the rest just keel over.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 17, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Ha ha holy poo poo you're kidding me. Green Lantern has almost become the new "A TITAN DIES" in terms of how predictable it is because things always get worse. Yet nobody ever dies or gets injured but redshirt lanterns. Kilowog and Mogo and Arisia (etc.) all make it through fine but the rest just keel over.

At this point the Guardians are less competent than Arkham's security team.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm reading the first trade of Earth-2 and its pretty good. Feels a lot more fleshed out than a lot of the new52 stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
When I first saw Hades appearance in Wonder Woman, I was wondering if he was ever getting his head candles blown out. Very pleased to see that happen in this week's issue of WW.

• Locked thread