Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Abraham Lincoln is pretty much the go-to "wacky" president, although I'm not 100% sure why. Maybe because George Washington is too obvious and the rest occupy a significantly less memorable slot? I guess you've also got your Bill Clinton, but he's mostly referenced with direct regard to his own actions, rather than in a totally out-of-nowhere sort of way.

Anyway, there's this, Adventure Time, the ATHF movie...

edit: I guess Reagan gets some of this, too, now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

It's the hat, the chinstrap, and the marfan syndrome. Gooniest president.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Why does everyone keep assuming bukkake girl wants bukkake? Are birds known for their voluminous amounts of ejaculate? So many questions

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

shadok posted:

Also I realized that I've been listening to way too many old Harmontown podcasts recently because when Birdperson hooked up with Tammy at the end, I felt bad for Erin.

Explain?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also this episode was a good episode. Stop Communitying my Rick and Morty thread :cry:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wikipedia posted:

The show has featured guests, such as Kumail Nanjiani, Mitch Hurwitz, Eric Idle, Greg Proops, Jason Sudekis, Ryan Stiles, as well as Harmon's fiancée, podcaster Erin McGathy.[6]

I knew nothing about it but assumed Erin was his wife. I was a little off. But seriously it wasn't a hard comment to grasp.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dan Harmon voices Bird Person. Erin McGathy is Harmon's fiance.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

limp_cheese posted:

I loved the visual gag of the testicle monster high on space coke when Marty threw it out the sliding glass door.

I think it's actually doing the Rick dance. (Trying to, anyway)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hey, given that was actually have people who worked on the show in this thread, can one of you guys ask Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon what's so bad about puffy vaginas?

Because it's really been bugging me.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gorilla Salad posted:

Hey, given that was actually have people who worked on the show in this thread, can one of you guys ask Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon what's so bad about puffy vaginas?

I'd imagine it's similar to blue waffles.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Gorilla Salad posted:

Don't think about it: 'cause I DON'T GIVE A FUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!

And hey, looks like that article is saying Rick and Morty pulled twice as many live viewers as Archer! Hey, even the 2am rerun did better! :toot:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well Archer has not been good this season.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's disappointing to hear.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Gorilla Salad posted:

What should bother you is how Rick knew about it. I think Justin Roiland said that line was a placeholder that wasn't supposed to make it into the finished episode. IIRC he thought it was too crazy for someone not to notice (and change), but since people think he's insane anyway, they thought it was what he wanted and left it there.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

I think this was answered via some reddit ama thing or some other interview. Someone said the puffy vagina thing was sort of a filler/placeholder joke, but they never got around to putting something else... in there.

edit: beaten

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Last Chance posted:

I think this was answered via some reddit ama thing or some other interview. Someone said the puffy vagina thing was sort of a filler/placeholder joke, but they never got around to putting something else... in there.

edit: beaten

This makes me want to see what their other placeholder jokes look like

On second thought, no it doesn't :ohdear:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I thought the puffy vagina thing was like super obvious but I guess not everyone has ridden that particular roller coaster so there ya go.

RE Lincoln: I, too, wonder why the giant, skinny as a rail awkward looking man in all black clothes with a stovepipe hat and neckbeard is the eternal target of endless ire, but maybe it has something to do with him being possibly the most recognizable US president in history and also totally loving goofy looking.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 16, 2014

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Bust Rodd posted:

I thought the puffy vagina thing was like super obvious but I guess not everyone has ridden that particular roller coaster so there ya go.

RE Lincoln: I, too, wonder why the giant, skinny as a rail awkward looking man in all black clothes with a stovepipe hat and neckbeard is the eternal target of endless ire, but maybe it has something to do with him being possibly the most recognizable US president in history and also totally loving goofy looking.

Lincoln can be representative both of the "nobility" and the "everyman" in storytelling. He presided over an incredibly contentious part of history and was the first president assassinated. His humble upbringing and background only add to the mystique. The fact that he is instantly recognizable to anyone who has seen a history book helps, too.

That and he killed all of those zombies and vampires...

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Gorilla Salad posted:

The whole joke is Morty can't think of what's so bad about it. You're in the same boat as Morty. You should get the joke because that's all there is to it and you're PBFing it unnecessarily.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Let's Analyze Jokes

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/202owt/we_are_dan_harmon_and_justin_roiland_creators_of/

quote:

[–]Salty-Banana 372 points 1 month ago
In "Anatomy Park" Rick tell Morty that Annie has a puffy vagina.
Why/how does Rick know this?

[–]danharmon Dan Harmon 1026 points 1 month ago
(sigh)
(sip of vodka)
When you write a script for TV, there's a schedule. The job isn't done when the script is "finished," it's done on Wednesday, finished or not. You acquire a discipline in TV writing of working in passes.
I had the script up on a big TV in the writers room and I was going through it, doing my pass, and I put the puffy vagina line in there. I thought, hey, this'll make the writers laugh, and then we'll be done with the script, and we'll send it to the network and they'll know it's a placeholder and they'll say "of course you have to change that" and the writers will say, "okay, let's change that now."
What I failed to realize is that the network is Adult Swim and the showrunner is Justin Roiland. So now we have Rick saying that this girl has a puffy vagina. And your question, which is totally valid, is why does Rick know that.
Why indeed. And, I mean, it's canon, so I'll answer.
I think Rick heard a rumor. I think Rick was working really hard on Pirates of the Pancreas and he'd make routine trips to the inside of Ruben, and I think, you know, in the break room, people talk.

[edit to add]: halfway through typing the answer to your question, I asked, in a semi-accusatory fashion, "who wrote that puffy vagina line?" And Ryan Ridley said "you did, mother fucker."

[–]justinroiland Justin Roiland[S] 503 points 1 month ago
I think he had an up close and personal face to skin experience with Annie's puffy vagina. He just doesn't like em puffy man. Me? I'll take em however I can get em! (JK, I have pretty high standards)

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

That means either Rick or Annie is into underage kids. Thanks Justin.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Funkmaster General posted:

Abraham Lincoln is pretty much the go-to "wacky" president, although I'm not 100% sure why. Maybe because George Washington is too obvious and the rest occupy a significantly less memorable slot? I guess you've also got your Bill Clinton, but he's mostly referenced with direct regard to his own actions, rather than in a totally out-of-nowhere sort of way.

Anyway, there's this, Adventure Time, the ATHF movie...

edit: I guess Reagan gets some of this, too, now that I think about it.

He is both one of the best president the US ever had and man who made his mark on history so theres the irony aspect, and hes also goofy looking and kinda weird so hes easy to make fun of.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The last like, 6 minutes of Rick Potion #9 is the most incredible thing this show did.

Burying their own bodies, then Summer's completely hilarious rendition of Jaws, then cronenburg Rick and Morty, "Don't you worry about that sort of thing Cronenburg Morty"

Great show.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
In one of the futurama commentaries I think they explain why Lincoln shows up in so many comedy shows. Part of it is to do with many of the writers coming from ivy league educations for some reason.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Krinkle posted:

The whole joke is Morty can't think of what's so bad about it. You're in the same boat as Morty. You should get the joke because that's all there is to it and you're PBFing it unnecessarily.
I had always assumed that Rick having carnal knowledge of her was the best reason to pass.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I just binged on this show and now I am sad it's over, it really was a perfect season.

I think my favorite bit is the implication that most earths in the multiverse turned into cronenberg planets, since rick could only find a couple dozen he did not gently caress up

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

babypolis posted:

I just binged on this show and now I am sad it's over, it really was a perfect season.

I think my favorite bit is the implication that most earths in the multiverse turned into cronenberg planets, since rick could only find a couple dozen he did not gently caress up

I think it was more that he needed to find an Earth that didn't already have a Rick and Morty occupying it, so he had to search out one where they were already dead, but optimally one where he was ABOUT to die and could just quietly slip in to replace.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Thanks to everyone involved in this show for inspiring my first new avatar in years. :v:

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

babypolis posted:

Well they were looking for a universe where they were able to fix things and then soon after Rick and Morty die, so our R & M can take their place.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jerkface posted:

In one of the futurama commentaries I think they explain why Lincoln shows up in so many comedy shows. Part of it is to do with many of the writers coming from ivy league educations for some reason.

Also if you know anything about what his personality was he apparently had a really great, morbid sense of self effacing humor, so for most writers it's probably subconsciously respectful to make fun of him

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Occupation posted:

Also if you know anything about what his personality was he apparently had a really great, morbid sense of self effacing humor, so for most writers it's probably subconsciously respectful to make fun of him

I like the mental image of Lincoln brought to present day to watch R&M: first the basic history of Hitler has to be explained to him as he listens with horror, but then he heartily enjoys being lampooned with a mashup character.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Old James posted:

Well they were looking for a universe where they were able to fix things and then soon after Rick and Morty die, so our R & M can take their place.
Yeah, that's a very specific circumstance. You'd assume in most of the multiverses where the Rick Potion #9 event even happened (and that's not even a given, mind you), if Rick was competent/cared enough to actually solve it on his own he wouldn't gently caress up and die on a simple thing days later.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

Dan Harmon voices Bird Person. Erin McGathy is Harmon's fiance.

Thank you and the guy before you for explaining what I already knew

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Old James posted:

yeah but he says that he could only find a couple dozen universes where he got lucky enough to find a cure, and then had to find one where they died within those, thats why Rick says they can only do that 3 or 4 more times

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Then what the gently caress did you need explained

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

MrAristocrates posted:

Then what the gently caress did you need explained

Why did Shadok feel bad for Erin.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also it is a Goddamn travesty that there has been NO love for Slow Moebius, who is the best non-human character next to Mr. Meseeks and Bird Person

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Alan Smithee posted:

Why did Shadok feel bad for Erin.

Because goons are always creepy and he probably felt like Dan was cheating on her by voicing a cartoon character?

At least that's what I assumed because it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Len posted:

Because goons are always creepy and he probably felt like Dan was cheating on her by voicing a cartoon character?

At least that's what I assumed because it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Same but that seems weird. Which is why it must be the case

• Locked thread