Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

JoelJoel posted:

Any GM that disregards any stat is an idiot. None are perfect and some are obviously inferior (+/-) but a diligent hockey mind would consider ever metric at their disposal.

gently caress Nonis. His contracts over the last year have potentially hosed the Leafs for some time to come. Obviously coaching is the most pressing issue but every time Nonis opens his over fed mouth my brain hurts.

Anyone have that :suicide: that was changed to a leafs logo and blue blood? I get the feeling I will be needing it a lot this coming off-season.

"Potentially"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

grack posted:

"Potentially"?

God your AV is creepy.

Yeah, you're right. Guess I'm still in denial. Clarkson could... ugh. But, I mean Phaneuf could return to... ugh.

At least we got rid of that toxic Grabo contract... :suicide:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

They're just idiots.

Look at how many of their justifications mention team defense, like you pointed out.

Shouldn't team defense apply though? I've probably read pages of goons making GBS threads on Chad Johnson, yet he put up a .925, only half a percent under Rask. Varly is .14 over Giguere for reference.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I would totally watch the world championships. Do they stream the games?

Brain Curry fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 16, 2014

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Brain Curry posted:

I would totally watch the world juniors but I don't get the NHL network. Do they stream the games?

Do you mean the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship? Juniors were a while ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

hifi posted:

Shouldn't team defense apply though? I've probably read pages of goons making GBS threads on Chad Johnson, yet he put up a .925, only half a percent under Rask. Varly is .14 over Giguere for reference.

All the evidence says team defense is not a significant factor in a goalie's performance.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

JoelJoel posted:

Oops yes i do!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What can you guys tell me about Kasperi Kapanen? I read up on him and some other guys after the draft order was determined, and I was intrigued by him playing with adults despite being 17 and also by his pedigree, as I thought Sami was a pretty good player.

I'm a Calgary fan if that makes a difference.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

JoelJoel posted:

Though I think the u18s are also going on right now.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
So the Jets lock up Maurice, but also insist that Pavelec is the number 1 goalie for next year.

I guess he's not the worst. His numbers put him as around the 70th best goalie in the NHL. It means, on average, every team has at least 2 goalies better than him.

Anyone want to trade a bag of pucks for Pavelec? Maybe a minor league pitching machine?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Hockey streams or firstrow if you don't want to pay but the quality is usually pretty low.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Aphrodite posted:

All the evidence says team defense is not a significant factor in a goalie's performance.

"Bruins defence" was used to dismiss Anton Khudobin's season last year and well.

hifi posted:

When did Rask fall off in the Vezina competition? This has most picking Varlamov at 1 and Bishop at 2.

Here's the gist of most of the arguments:
Wyshynski: You could give this to Rask or Bishop and not get much quarrel from me, but I like Varlamov here. He faced over 300 more shots than Rask and still posted a sterling .933 EV SV% in 63 games. He was the best goalie I saw this season, and did it behind a team with a distinct lack of Patrice Bergeron and Zdeno Chara.

I think that if you bracket out that Chara/Bergeron half sentence, that's actually a pretty good argument.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but mostly because he just says it in a vacuum without mentioning that Rask's is .941, or even that Price's .934 (between the 2 of them in shots.)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but mostly because he just says it in a vacuum without mentioning that Rask's is .941, or even that Price's .934 (between the 2 of them in shots.)

Eh, I think it's reasonably clear that Wyshynski is mentioning the .933 in the context of "it's still very good, so it's not like he's being rewarded just for his workload."

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

DOOMocrat posted:

I didn't really have a dog in the Buffalo-management-by-Cuisinart fight before this but if you diss Teppo, you gots to go.

Teppo comes into the bike shop where I work pretty often, he's a super chill guy. I hate to see him go :smith:

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!

Thufir posted:

Craig Smith is pretty rad and was really good in Worlds last year so :911:

and he's being coached by housley and laviolette this year. preds video coach also got sent over. i'll be really surprised if laviolette isn't hired.

smith is a really good player and has the ability to hit 30/30 next year pretty easily.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Smith was the main highlight of the season for me. Exciting to watch almost every time he had the puck, and he actually shoots.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fits posted:

The Anton Belov Experience is over, he signed a 4 year deal with SKA St Petersburg

:rip: Belov you picked a great time to score your 1 NHL goal and were a solid bottom pairing guy

Belov loving sucked.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

MassaShowtime posted:

Belov loving sucked.

He was better than Fraser and Larsen :effort:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

fits posted:

The Coyotes beat reporter thinks the Oilers/Flames will want Derek Morris if that makes you feel any better(it shouldn't) :unsmith:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fits posted:

Yeah he was a top paring AHLer!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Have a fun look at NHL Award voting ballots, which some voters (mostly media types) are choosing to make public: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=83499667#post83499667

Within, it is revealed that Damien Cox thinks it is odd that he didn't rank Shea Weber in his top 5 for the Norris, but he did it anyways. He also nominated Bergeron and Steen for the Hart because they play the Right Way, but not Ovechkin for anything because his plus/minus is bad.

It is also noted that nobody thinks that defensemen are very valuable anymore, considering that there are a whopping two whole 5th place votes for defensemen for the Hart.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

eXXon posted:

Have a fun look at NHL Award voting ballots, which some voters (mostly media types) are choosing to make public: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?p=83499667#post83499667

Within, it is revealed that Damien Cox thinks it is odd that he didn't rank Shea Weber in his top 5 for the Norris, but he did it anyways. He also nominated Bergeron and Steen for the Hart because they play the Right Way, but not Ovechkin for anything because his plus/minus is bad.

It is also noted that nobody thinks that defensemen are very valuable anymore, considering that there are a whopping two whole 5th place votes for defensemen for the Hart.

well the last defenseman to win the hart was pronger in 2000 and before that bobby orr so that isn't a new development

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who votes on the Vezina? It's not on any of their lists.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Aphrodite posted:

Who votes on the Vezina? It's not on any of their lists.
General managers

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun posted:

FYI hearing that Nazem Kadri was invited today and accepted world championship invite for Canada...

This makes me happy.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zamboni Jesus posted:

well the last defenseman to win the hart was pronger in 2000 and before that bobby orr so that isn't a new development
Pronger is also the only defenseman nominated since Bourque in 1990, and took a large set of circumstances (notably Jagr getting hurt but still winning the Art Ross race, no player hitting 100 points for the first time in a long, long time, the Blues having a dominant regular season with Pronger as the clear #1 player, a bunch of swelling media talk about how we don't appreciate defensemen/defensive contributions) for that to happen and he still only won by a single point over Jagr. In 2007-08 they nominated Iginla over Lidstrom when that made no sense at all, and Lidstrom never otherwise finishing in the top 5 in Hart voting. Also the Ted Lindsay/Lester B. Pearson is even worse for non-forwards.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Canada's WC roster so far:

Center: Monahan, Turris, Hodgson, Scheifele, Kadri, Bozak
Wing: Brouwer, Burrows, Perron, Ward, Huberdeau

D: Ellis, Methot, Rielly, Gudbranson, Bieksa, Garrison

G: Reimer

One interesting dynamic is that Dave Tippet is gonna be coaching the team, and based on that roster Kyle Turris should probably slot in as the #1 centre. On the other hand, Tippet coaching could also explain this tweet:

quote:

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 14h
Canada: Garrison,Ellis,Gudbranson added on D. Schiefele + Hodgson primary centres. Huberdeau added on wing. 1 spot to fill plus goalie.

bub spank fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 17, 2014

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Today in Oates' Quotes:

quote:

[Holtby] made two saves that I didn’t like — he made the save, but I think it was the wrong way

Holtby was interviewed and it turns out that it wasn't Kolzig that made him change his style during the season, it was actually a direct order from Oates who wanted all his goalies to play like Lundqvist, Kolzig just had to implement it. This is of course what lead to Holtby struggling until he and Kolzig went back to Holtby's regular style.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I want Oates to stay in Washington just so I can keep hearing about his incredibly retarded opinions.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
Lundqvist changed his style to how he now plays early in his career, he also used to play very aggressively, but the person who worked with him to change his style is one of the best goalie coaches in the NHL who knew what he was doing.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Levitate posted:

Lundqvist changed his style to how he now plays early in his career, he also used to play very aggressively, but the person who worked with him to change his style is one of the best goalie coaches in the NHL who knew what he was doing.

But did his coach force him do it mid-season, or like a reasonable man did he work on it throughout the offseason?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gunjin posted:

But did his coach force him do it mid-season, or like a reasonable man did he work on it throughout the offseason?

Actually don't really remember! Probably started working on it in the offseason and training camp and continued on through the year.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Gunjin posted:

Today in Oates' Quotes:

Holtby was interviewed and it turns out that it wasn't Kolzig that made him change his style during the season, it was actually a direct order from Oates who wanted all his goalies to play like Lundqvist, Kolzig just had to implement it. This is of course what lead to Holtby struggling until he and Kolzig went back to Holtby's regular style.

Do you have a source for this quote? (I believe you, I just didn't see it anywhere)

I can't think of two more stylistically different goalies than Lundqvist and Holtby (maybe Lundqvist and Quick). I just want Oates to go away.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Mind_Taker posted:

Do you have a source for this quote? (I believe you, I just didn't see it anywhere)

I can't think of two more stylistically different goalies than Lundqvist and Holtby (maybe Lundqvist and Quick). I just want Oates to go away.

It was on CSNW today (be warned it's a Chuck Gormley article, and he's a really loving bad at his job, just use it for the quotes):

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-washington-capitals/talk/braden-holtby-says-changes-resulted-second-guessing

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Levitate posted:

Was he that aggressive?

The main thing I remember is that his glove hand sucked compared to eveyrthing else. Now that thing is always way up.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Was he that aggressive?

The main thing I remember is that his glove hand sucked compared to eveyrthing else. Now that thing is always way up.

He was when he played in the SEL. When he came to the NHL is when his style changed.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Gunjin posted:

It was on CSNW today (be warned it's a Chuck Gormley article, and he's a really loving bad at his job, just use it for the quotes):

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-washington-capitals/talk/braden-holtby-says-changes-resulted-second-guessing

:stare:

quote:

After seeing Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist knock the Caps out of the playoffs last spring, Oates decided it was time for the Caps’ goaltenders to try a similar approach as the Swedish netminder, who plays deeper in his crease and relies on his incredible reflexes to take away back-door passes.

I don't see a direct quote from Oates, but this is so monumentally stupid that it must have been from Oates.

quote:

With the help of Kolzig, Holtby went back to the basics, playing more aggressively and challenging shooters instead of staying deeper in his crease.

“Olie and I have been on the same page since Day One,” Holtby said. ”He’s been keeping me sane through everything. We talk about everything and we realized I had to go back to where my natural instincts led me. We did that as a goalie-goalie coach tandem and I think toward the end of the season it paid off.”

I guess Kolzig wasn't to blame after all.

quote:

As for Oates, he’s not entirely convinced Holtby has returned to the way he played last season, saying he believes some of the changes that were made to his game are still evident.

“I would argue with him on that,” Oates said. “But that’s his feeling, right? And a coach’s job is to get young guys to fight through change. Tiger Woods makes changes. Cal Ripken went through three batting stances in his career. You have to improve, nobody is good enough. I like a lot of things about Holts; he’s a young guy and he has to fix some elements of his game and that’s it.

Christ how does Oates still have a job?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I mean I think Oates has a point, players evolve and their style might change over time which makes them more effective. The fact that he's trying to force a change is what's hosed up and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
The problem is Holtby was already effective, his career numbers are pretty good, and until Oates tried to force the change this season they were even better:

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2014/04/08/three-thousand-shots-later-braden-holtby-is-still-pretty-awesome/

• Locked thread