Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

NeilPerry posted:

I loving hate tumblr

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Already online via LAD so no name censoring. :barf:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shannonmcn posted:

Uh, what language is this?

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
My parents clean the tops of their cans with rubbing alcohol for this very reason. Sometimes my very :tinfoil: dad cleans produce with rubbing alcohol as well.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Shannonmcn posted:

RFC2324 posted:

Allow me to translate.

Dean
My child just made his first black oval office cry today in the unemployment office. It makes me so happy - love you, son. Keep up the good work, KKK! Ha ha ha.

Kirby
That's my boy, ha ha! The only thing is that he is left with a mark from headbutting the monkey, ha ha. Kisses!

Dean & Kirby
WE ARE HORRIBLE HUMAN BEINGS

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Yeah I've worked in pubs and I will never drink out of a tin or bottle without giving it a good wipe first. Dunno about needing a scare story of PPL DYING to go with it, but whatever!

Shannonmcn posted:

Coming hot on the heels of that Polish family burnt out of Mount Vernon too, I'd find the LADpost but I'm on my phone. Are wee cuntry, eh?

PutinOnTheRitz
Oct 25, 2010

What drives me (and my health inspector boyfriend) crazy is that this person couldn't have summed it up nicely, they had to write out this big long scary paragraph including threats of death. I work in a vet clinic, I see Leptospirosis all the time. Yes, it is dangerous, but you don't get people to vaccinate their dogs for it by bullying them into it.

This is all this poster needs to say:

- Lepto has been found on the edge of cans from x factory (This article never specifies)
- Other cans from other companies may carry this risk also
- You can prevent picking it up from cans/bottles by wiping off the top before drinking
- Lepto is a major zoonotic risk, and you can pick it up from mice and their droppings, as well as from dogs and small wild mammals
- Seek treatment for Leptospirosis from your doctor as soon as you notice it in yourself or your anima;
- Report it to your local public health if it's something not endemic/a threat to your area. (For example, Southern Ontario probably doesn't care, but if you don't report Lyme Disease you're in deep poo poo as a doctor)

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

What drives me (and my health inspector boyfriend) crazy is that this person couldn't have summed it up nicely, they had to write out this big long scary paragraph including threats of death. I work in a vet clinic, I see Leptospirosis all the time. Yes, it is dangerous, but you don't get people to vaccinate their dogs for it by bullying them into it.

- Lepto has been found on the edge of cans from x factory (This article never specifies)
- You can prevent picking it up from cans/bottles by wiping off the top before drinking
- Lepto is a major zoonotic risk, and you can pick it up from mice and their droppings, as well as from dogs and small wild mammals
- Seek treatment for Leptospirosis from your doctor as soon as you notice it in yourself or your anima;
- Report it to your local public health if it's something not endemic/a threat to your area. (For example, Southern Ontario probably doesn't care, but if you don't report Lyme Disease you're in deep poo poo as a doctor)

Facts don't make people share your links and give you that sweet, sweet advert revenue. Screaming "YOUR FAMILY IS GOING TO DIE!!! :byodame: " does.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

Having worked in warehouses including ones that handle food and beverages I can say with good authority that they are all extremely anal about hygiene and pest control.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
A guy I used to hang out with long ago posted this today, a dumb list of "I am a foreigner and I'm telling you how fat and stupid your country is" bullshit. Many eye rolls to be had.

http://m.tickld.com/x/20-weird-things-about-america

My favorites are the inability to do basic math when working with sales tax, the inability to look up tip etiquette in the country your visiting, bathroom insecurity, the persecution of jaywalkers, and "What's the deal with bread in America? I mean, who needs it that sweet? Are we eating dessert or a sandwich here? I mean, come on? What's the deal?"

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

Obligatory Handle posted:

A guy I used to hang out with long ago posted this today, a dumb list of "I am a foreigner and I'm telling you how fat and stupid your country is" bullshit. Many eye rolls to be had.

My favorites are the inability to do basic math when working with sales tax, the inability to look up tip etiquette in the country your visiting, bathroom insecurity, the persecution of jaywalkers, and "What's the deal with bread in America? I mean, who needs it that sweet? Are we eating dessert or a sandwich here? I mean, come on? What's the deal?"

What the hell?

In America, your athletes are celebrities! What a country. Where I come from, athletes are not famous at all. Instead if you play a sport people frown at you and call you a nerd.

I am a bad person because I read every one of these in the voice of Jakov Smirnoff and added "What a country." to the end.

In America, your bread is so sweet, In soviet Russia we wait in line four weeks for one loaf of bread and it taste like dust. What a country! ah-ah-ah.

That's topical humor.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

I will defend #17 to the death. Those European toilets where your feces sit on a dry shelf centimeters from your rear end are loving disgusting.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

All these things sound like pretty standard things in most western countries in general, where is this alleged foreigner suppodedly from?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

vxskud posted:

All these things sound like pretty standard things in most western countries in general, where is this alleged foreigner suppodedly from?

No they aren't.

EDIT: Not that the article isn't dumb observational "humour", but those things certainly aren't true of the UK, which is where the author says he's from. Apart from refillable soda. Most fast food and chain restaurants will have that.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Lap-Lem posted:

In America, your athletes are celebrities! What a country. Where I come from, athletes are not famous at all. Instead if you play a sport people frown at you and call you a nerd.
The point was more about college football. Coming from the UK/Ireland at least, people are celebrities when they play for the big professional leagues - school sports are only watched by the families of the people playing, usually.

But yeah, genuinely almost everything in that list is pretty weird to me except for free refills in drinks which some (but not most) restaurants have and flags being everywhere, although that has a very different connotation in Northern Ireland.

Church Ladyboy
Oct 11, 2007

SQUAWK

Brocktoon posted:

I will defend #17 to the death. Those European toilets where your feces sit on a dry shelf centimeters from your rear end are loving disgusting.

3 gallons (I am basing this off the one toilet I remember looking at and seeing the amount of water in a single flush) is a lot of water. I am sure lots of places have low-flow ones these days though.

US shitters on the whole are definitely too low.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I cannot possibly get mad at this list, since none of the items are "Your women have let this whole 'feminism' thing really go to their head!" which is one I hear way too often.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Sebastian Vettel posted:

No they aren't.

EDIT: Not that the article isn't dumb observational "humour", but those things certainly aren't true of the UK, which is where the author says he's from. Apart from refillable soda. Most fast food and chain restaurants will have that.

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian, but everything except the pledge of allegiance and the flags is applicable here if you just replace football players with hockey players.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

But yeah, genuinely almost everything in that list is pretty weird to me except for free refills in drinks which some (but not most) restaurants have and flags being everywhere, although that has a very different connotation in Northern Ireland.

Pickles are weird? Sweet bread is weird? Toilet bowls with water are weird? Crappy public restroom stalls are weird? Loud people are weird? The UK has cheese whiz too, and has something very similar to our pledge.

I mean come. I can definitely see how some things on the list might be unusual, but a large part of the list are just stupid things that really aren't unusual in many parts of the world.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

My favorites are the inability to do basic math when working with sales tax,

Though seriously, is there an actual reason not to include the tax by default? It just seems so completely superfluous, or is there actually a reason why you'd need to know the nontaxed price more often than the total one?

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Illiterate Scots, I'm betting. Looks like the way most of the folk I went to high school with type. I recently purged almost all of them from my FB because they were a never ending trainwreck.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Though seriously, is there an actual reason not to include the tax by default? It just seems so completely superfluous, or is there actually a reason why you'd need to know the nontaxed price more often than the total one?

Tax can vary greatly state to state, and sometimes even county to county or city to city. I would like it for sales tax to be included in the sticker price, but it's not really very feasible with our tax system.

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Question Mark Mound posted:

The point was more about college football. Coming from the UK/Ireland at least, people are celebrities when they play for the big professional leagues - school sports are only watched by the families of the people playing, usually.

College sports teams have gigantic followings, usually based on "My family has been rooting for this team for years" or "That's my Alma mater." Some states have zero big time professional leagues (Alabama, Arkansas, Nebraska, Kentucky, etc.), so the college teams make up for that. The large universities are huge money making entities. Basically, the "student-athletes" are professional athletes, but all of their money goes directly to the school and NCAA, instead of in their own pockets...for now.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

moerketid posted:

Illiterate Scots, I'm betting. Looks like the way most of the folk I went to high school with type. I recently purged almost all of them from my FB because they were a never ending trainwreck.

git tae gently caress

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

I want to beat up this person good lord

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

:stonk:

I don't know what else to say

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

I want to beat up this person good lord

*glomps* :33

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

I Feast On Dogshit posted:

git tae gently caress

More like this

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Apogee15 posted:

Pickles are weird? Sweet bread is weird? Toilet bowls with water are weird? Crappy public restroom stalls are weird? Loud people are weird? The UK has cheese whiz too, and has something very similar to our pledge.

I mean come. I can definitely see how some things on the list might be unusual, but a large part of the list are just stupid things that really aren't unusual in many parts of the world.

What does the UK have that's similar to the pledge? Because that's the only thing I'd class as flat out weird on the list. The rest are just different or mildly annoying (to deal with that is, the existence of sweet bread doesn't annoy me unless I mistake it for unsweetened bread)

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Apogee15 posted:

Tax can vary greatly state to state, and sometimes even county to county or city to city. I would like it for sales tax to be included in the sticker price, but it's not really very feasible with our tax system.

POS systems already have the proper sales tax programmed in, so that when an item is rung up it is properly applied. There is no reason the other computer system that prints the price stickers (which is usually done at the store, not at the shipping location) can't do the same.

EDIT: The proper answer, is so that they can advertise products for "under $5" when priced at $4.99.

Orgophlax has a new favorite as of 15:39 on Apr 17, 2014

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The pledge is pretty loving creepy, in all honesty

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Please tell me there's more.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Sebastian Vettel posted:

What does the UK have that's similar to the pledge? Because that's the only thing I'd class as flat out weird on the list. The rest are just different or mildly annoying (to deal with that is, the existence of sweet bread doesn't annoy me unless I mistake it for unsweetened bread)

Almost all bread is sweetened in the US (usually with HFCS), that's the thing. Even US home-made recipes call for like 4-5x the sugar.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Here's an album of a former Nickelodeon star (Drake Bell) talking poo poo on Justin Bieber.

http://imgur.com/gallery/xKcUE

:iceburn:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Apogee15 posted:

I don't really see why it isn't feasible, especially in states with uniform sales taxes across the state. Smaller countries like Switzerland or Luxembourg manage just fine, I don't see why a place like Texas or California couldn't.

And about that list, I'm an American living in France and pretty much everything on that list except number 7 and number 6 to would be at least a bit strange to a Frenchman. Number 2 isn't weird in the part of France I live in but they're not French flags, they're regional flags. I don't think I've ever seen a French flag flying from a privately owned building, at least outside of Paris.

Lap-Lem
Oct 21, 2005
Lap-Lem the Village Tard

Orgophlax posted:

POS systems already have the proper sales tax programmed in, so that when an item is rung up it is properly applied. There is no reason the other computer system that prints the price stickers (which is usually done at the store, not at the shipping location) can't do the same.

Simple reason is, it's against the law. You cannot post the post tax price in the USA. You can say, "this item is $100 after tax it is $106" but you cannot say "This items is $106".

Why is it a law? beats the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

And about that list, I'm an American living in France and pretty much everything on that list except number 7 and number 6 to would be at least a bit strange to a Frenchman. Number 2 isn't weird in the part of France I live in but they're not French flags, they're regional flags. I don't think I've ever seen a French flag flying from a privately owned building, at least outside of Paris.

The culture shock about 'american flags, everywhere!!!' is less about the buildings, and more about people that affix flags to their cars, their bikes, their mail boxes, their trees, etc etc etc.

Seriously, flags are everywhere there, here, there are 2 official buildings with flags (town hall and local working men's club), and a handful of houses (belonging to known racists) with st george crosses taped to the windows.

• Locked thread