Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I have this really annoying habit where I crook the ball on fly by layups instead of just putting my arms straight up for a normal layup. I missed like 4-5 fastbreak layups yesterday because my stupid muscle memory won't kick in and shoot it the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i take every layup as a finger roll for swagger reasons

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Sypher posted:

Ok So I am 100% officially signed up for a league. I am 29 years old and haven't played since High School. Nobody on my team besides myself and one other has played an organized game of basketball beyond youth. It should be hilarious, but I ask you. What is the best way to be somewhat competitive? I am thinking just man to man defense with a lot of pick & roll plays. I have a couple extremely athletic players on my team(one of them is top 100 cross-fit in the USA), but they have no bball IQ. Give me some ideas for easy plays for a bunch of newbies.

Get on that Steph Curry non jumping jumpshot.

Then, like everyone else said, teach everyone the basics of the pick and roll, my Church league basketball coach taught me in a day and I was just some dumb kid in a polo shirt. It's not hard at all.

Emery
Feb 8, 2012
Thank you for reminding me of the time I got my youth group leader to call me a little poo poo because I kept going over his screens while he was trying to teach a bunch of 12 year olds why picks are useful.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

RCarr posted:

I've gotten into plenty of scuffles on the court and came close to throwing punches many times. Never actually happened though. (I would never start a fight, but I have no problem getting in people's faces if they try to talk poo poo or bully me)

Sometime last year though, I was playing against a dude who had a good 6-8 inches on me, and was locking him down on defense, and boxing him out easily on the boards because he was lazy and had no footwork. He was getting REALLY pissed and started throwing vicious elbows. He caught me square in the teeth with one eventually. Knocked me out cold, split my lip wide open, and left me with a wonderful scar for life! gently caress that dude. When I woke up he was gone. I was told the second he saw me go down, he just ran off the court, got in his car and booked it.

Edit: Found the picture in this thread!

I didn't throw any punches, but about a year and a half ago I was on a court with a really sketchy white dude with dreads. He was getting mad at the 16-17 year old kid guarding him too tight, and after the two did a little trash-talking, he comes down with the ball and when the kid goes to guard him, he just sucker-punched him. I got between them, and this little poo poo takes a few swings at me like I'm coming at him, instead of, you know, separating him from the teenager he just punched. I ended up biting through my lip and getting a few stitches, along with a black eye, and was a groomsmen in a wedding that weekend looking like Frankenstein's monster. Of course the dude took off immediately, and the gym's only listed address for the guy was out of state, so even though I pressed charges, nothing ever happened.

Edit: here's a pic from the wedding, I think 3-4 days later:

laz0rbeak fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 17, 2014

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Hahaha some guy was punching you in the face and you just took it? drat dude...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Jota posted:

I learned from a young age that when a man punches you in the face then drat it hurts go get some more guys to kick his rear end for you... poo poo that loving hurt.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

laz0rbeak posted:

I didn't throw any punches, but about a year and a half ago I was on a court with a really sketchy white dude with dreads. He was getting mad at the 16-17 year old kid guarding him too tight, and after the two did a little trash-talking, he comes down with the ball and when the kid goes to guard him, he just sucker-punched him. I got between them, and this little poo poo takes a few swings at me like I'm coming at him, instead of, you know, separating him from the teenager he just punched. I ended up biting through my lip and getting a few stitches, along with a black eye, and was a groomsmen in a wedding that weekend looking like Frankenstein's monster. Of course the dude took off immediately, and the gym's only listed address for the guy was out of state, so even though I pressed charges, nothing ever happened.

All three of these men look like they may have been recently punched in the face I'll need some clarification

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mandrel posted:

All three of these men look like they may have been recently punched in the face I'll need some clarification

You can tell which one is the goon because his bottom button on his coat is buttoned.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

Jota posted:

Yes? The guy was crazy, and like I said, I pressed charges. I wasn't trying to fight anybody. I had no idea it was coming, either. Like I said, I was just separating this crazy guy from the kid he had just thrown a punch at. I had no idea he was going to continue to throw punches because we were playing on the same pick-up team.

"Mandrel posted:

Mean. :(

laz0rbeak fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 17, 2014

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

When Rocky fights he mostly just takes the punches directly in the face. Worked well enough for him.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Used the Homer Simpson technique and it worked. Eventually the guy got tired of beating the poo poo out of him and went home to rest his arms

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

laz0rbeak posted:

I hope he didn't give you herpes simplex 10 or anything

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

The Rudy T-Kermit Washington incident of pickup games =|

None of those guys pictured look like someone that plays basketball

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

BIZORT posted:

The guy on the left looks like a Wisconsin type player to me.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

BIZORT posted:

Yeah, tall white dudes are pretty rare in b-ball.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone else's fingertips ever get dry and crackly after playing too much? Used to happen to me all the time back in the day and I'd completely forgotten about it until recently, now that I've gotten the time and opportunity to get some ball going.

The obvious solution seems like "lotion" but I've already been keeping my hands unusually lubey lately. Sucks pretty hard when you can feel the ball abrade the skin on your fingers on every shot.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I've pretty much played twice a week for the last 10+ years and I have never had that happen to me. Doesn't sound basketball related honestly.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Never had that happen to me. My fingertips get very dirty when playing so maybe it has to do with that?

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

BIZORT posted:

Never had that happen to me. My fingertips get very dirty when playing so maybe it has to do with that?

When I was in high school and playing all the time on my backyard concrete court or outside on a school parking lot court, my fingertips would occasionally get small cuts on them. The ball picks up particles from the ground and rubs against your fingers, its not a big deal really.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I sincerely hope you all wash your hands after playing.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Doltos posted:

I go straight to eating finger foods, the dirt and grit add flavor and hustle to my meal.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

mynameisjohn posted:

I go straight to eating finger foods, the dirt and grit add flavor and hustle to my meal.

It's just court spice

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE
I hate playing pick up games, I'm usually the tallest guy on my team so I'm always told to play in the post. I cant score in the post to save my life but I can shoot 3s all day. How do I go about not being a dick about it? Just drill a few threes and shut them up or what? Every time I play I get some over zealous douche yelling at me to stay in the post, when I can't play it for poo poo.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Just say "Hey guys listen, I know I'm tall, but I suck in the paint. I'm a knockdown shooter though."

Also shame on you for being tall and never developing a post game.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Just tell him to go gently caress himself and play your game without giving a poo poo what he thinks

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Guru Yaekob posted:

I hate playing pick up games, I'm usually the tallest guy on my team so I'm always told to play in the post. I cant score in the post to save my life but I can shoot 3s all day. How do I go about not being a dick about it? Just drill a few threes and shut them up or what? Every time I play I get some over zealous douche yelling at me to stay in the post, when I can't play it for poo poo.

Develop a turnaround jumper

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Or a hook shot. It makes me so sad to see big men who can't do a basic hook shot.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! OFFERS 10-TOPIC POLITICAL DEBATE TO ANY LIBERAL - SA MEMBER STARTS TO ACCEPT, THEN BACKS OUT AND WETS PANTS AFTER LEARNING IRONKNUCKLE HAS DEBATED ON TELEVISION BEFORE! READ HERE

RCarr posted:

Or a hook shot. It makes me so sad to see big men who can't do a basic hook shot.

Its not really my shooting ability that is bad in the post I just cant handle the ball when there are 3 people swarming to me, I need space to play, soon as I try to back someone up everyone swarms and I either have to pass or lose the ball. I'm much more of a catch and shoot player.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is I have bad shooting ability in the post.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
Dunk that poo poo son.

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

Jummy posted:

Dunk that poo poo son.

I can only dunk when we aren't playing a game and that is only sometimes if I get the perfect leap. I'm white.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.
You're doing better than me. I'll never dunk a basketball and I'm 6'3. It's really embarrassing. I'm white as well, which is also embarrassing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Jummy posted:

I'm white as well, which is also embarrassing.

The biggest basketball related crime.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012

Doltos posted:

Actually I think this might be where my problem lies. My hands normally get pretty nasty looking after some outdoor hoops and some cursory googling told me maybe I should lotion up directly after washing. So I started doing that after switching up lotions and I think my fingertips are happy.

edit: I should clarify my problem was washing my hands and not applying lotion, not that I wasn't washing at all

falconry fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 21, 2014

Guru Yaekob
Feb 6, 2011

Jummy posted:

You're doing better than me. I'll never dunk a basketball and I'm 6'3. It's really embarrassing. I'm white as well, which is also embarrassing.

I'm 6' 3" as well and trust me its not really a dunk more of a edge of my fingertips curl just over the rim and it goes in haha.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

General old white guy opinion: Dunking is cool and all but unnecessary. Being able to jump quickly is much more useful. Second jump ability would be the term if Jay Bilas were here

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Jota posted:

Just tell him to go gently caress himself and play your game without giving a poo poo what he thinks

Pretty much this.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Guru Yaekob posted:

It doesn't really benefit anyone if you play a style that you suck at so gently caress him and do what you do

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Guru Yaekob posted:

Its not really my shooting ability that is bad in the post I just cant handle the ball when there are 3 people swarming to me, I need space to play, soon as I try to back someone up everyone swarms and I either have to pass or lose the ball. I'm much more of a catch and shoot player.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is I have bad shooting ability in the post.

You can play your game, or you can work to add another dimension to your game. It sounds like you have bad footwork. Playing in the paint is all about footwork and less about dribbling especially if you're the tallest guy on court (cuz you'll get stripped). tell them to pass high and work off your pivot foot and pump a few. Only dribble in the paint if you can gain a quick position advantage before help D comes and it's all over.

Basically, I'd try to at least go in the post once or twice a game and wait for a pass or rebound if I were you. Rest of the time just knock down 3's. If you only shoot, your game becomes way too predictable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

wrong thread

• Locked thread