Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caerthir
Jan 21, 2013

I love mutation roulette, and I love leaving Xom for Zin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I'm currently in a Minotaur Warrior game where everything seems to be going right, but I almost feel paralyzed by inexperience. I have all this great equipment (I found Eos!) and I've got enough flat stat bonuses to dabble in casting, and I've got some pretty rad evokables, (rod of swarms, fan of gales) and I just kind of don't know how I should skill up or where I should go or which jewelry is worth keeping on me.

I guess I'll just keep at it and splat when I splat, but some advice would be awesome:
(The only spell I've memorized so far is haste)

Next up is snake and/or spider. Oh the decisions :ohdear:

e: There's also an amulet of guardian spirit in my stash which I'm completely conflicted about, considering the great combo with hat of pondering and terrible combo with antimagic flail.

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 17, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
I started a HoWr on a whim and have had some incredible luck--+7 ring mail, an elec-branded war axe, and an amulet of rage. I'm terrified of losing him (almost did by stupidly berserking a 4-headed hydra, but managed to kill it).

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/LogicNinja/LogicNinja.txt

Any and all advice welcome, I'm bad at melee.

e: Splatted due to over-tabbing, of course. Derp.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 17, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Poulpe posted:

I'm currently in a Minotaur Warrior game where everything seems to be going right, but I almost feel paralyzed by inexperience. I have all this great equipment (I found Eos!) and I've got enough flat stat bonuses to dabble in casting, and I've got some pretty rad evokables, (rod of swarms, fan of gales) and I just kind of don't know how I should skill up or where I should go or which jewelry is worth keeping on me.

I guess I'll just keep at it and splat when I splat, but some advice would be awesome:
(The only spell I've memorized so far is haste)

Next up is snake and/or spider. Oh the decisions :ohdear:

e: There's also an amulet of guardian spirit in my stash which I'm completely conflicted about, considering the great combo with hat of pondering and terrible combo with antimagic flail.
That whip and mace are trash compared to Eos. The flail is probably worse than Eos even against spellcasters, and definitely worse other than that.

Hat of pondering doesn't do a lot for your character at the moment, and gives slower movement, which can be hazardous to your health.

You need 14.0 M&F to reach minimum delay with Eos, and 5.0 shields to eliminate the buckler penalty. You probably want more fighting since all of your damage is melee.

Ring of sustenance is useless, ring of sustain abilities is unnecessary outside of Tomb, I wouldn't bother to carry either.

I'm a huge fan of guardian spirit on pure melee dudes (with evo or invocations for more MP). If you put it on right now it would be about 30% extra hp, slightly better "regen," and you'd hardly ever miss the MP. Even without hat of pondering I'd consider it a deal.

You shouldn't have the choice between snake and spider. If you haven't done lair to figure out which one it is, do lair before attempting a branch. Judging from your XL it seems likely you did D:14 before lair, which is not recommended, but congrats on surviving! Just do all of lair, then orc, then a branch so you can bust into vaults and die to vault wardens and stuff.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Wow, gnolls have gotten 1461 kills so far this tournament.
Least kills: Xtahua, tied with dozens of other things that only have 1 kill. :thumbsup: for the scariest pushover unique.
e: huh, and I got politician and nemelex's choice 1 somehow. That's nice, I suppose.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 17, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zernach posted:

I had a shocking realization that I'm really bad at this considering I've played crawl on and off since Stone Soup was this hot new fork/mod to Dungeon Crawl. The farthest I've gotten that I remember is 2 runes. I propably should play some super easy combos more, but I just can't stop playing mummy and draconian casters.
Draconian casters are actually fine though, their magic apts are decent and they're reasonably tanky, and they hybridize fairly easily.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

IronicDongz posted:

Least kills: Xtahua, tied with dozens of other things that only have 1 kill. :thumbsup: for the scariest pushover unique.
e: huh, and I got politician and nemelex's choice 1 somehow. That's nice, I suppose.

Well to be fair, anything that appears super late in the game is going to have few kills simply because most players don't see them, and those that do can usually flatten them. Last time I checked the most lethal creature in the game was the lowly hobgoblin.

Gnolls are still giant assholes though.

Elyv posted:

Draconian casters are actually fine though, their magic apts are decent and they're reasonably tanky, and they hybridize fairly easily.

Draconians are amazing and tied with demonspawn for my favorite race. Their aptitudes are solid across the board so you can do pretty much whatever you want with them. Then you develop a colour and get to branch out your character based on it. Even in the worst case scenario of you being a white draconian that uses fire magic, the apt penalty is still only -2 so its not a ruined character. Basically draconians are super fun once you realize you don't need to freak out about getting the nonoptimal colour for your character.

If you want a good time, I recommend playing a Draconian Transmuter with the goal of getting dragon form castable.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

IronicDongz posted:

Honestly, I hate gnolls. Halberd wielding gnolls on d:1 can basically be a death sentence, and rounding a corner on d:2 into a whole pack of gnolls (who immediately net you) is just as bad. I've splatted a ton of things without DE-level aptitudes to them--Na/Hu FEs, etc.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Gnolls are still giant assholes though.

quote:

odiv the Insei (L1 MfTm), mangled by a gnoll (a +1,+2 spear) on D:1 (onia_entry_pentagram) on 2014-01-07 03:34:39, with 20 points after 37 turns and 0:00:16.

Yup.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Darth Windu posted:

Heal, TP, and Haste wands aren't affected by Evo, or at least weren't the last time I played.

I've always thought Heal wands should be, at least, but maybe that'd be too strong and everyone would invest in Evo.

Heal wands actually are affected by evo... but only when you're zapping them at monsters. This is only ever useful if you're worshipping Elyvilon.

Viashino_wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Consider my interest piqued.
So on the Tavern we're having a discussion about how Shoals is so much more dangerous and interesting than Swamp and someone joked that if Illsiuw moves next to a kraken she should mount it and ride it around.

Enter Bloax:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Heal wands actually are affected by evo... but only when you're zapping them at monsters. This is only ever useful if you're worshipping Elyvilon.

Similarly, I believe evo is used to determine how easy it is for enemies to resist you zapping them with teleport.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

kaschei posted:

Stuff

You shouldn't have the choice between snake and spider. If you haven't done lair to figure out which one it is, do lair before attempting a branch. Judging from your XL it seems likely you did D:14 before lair, which is not recommended, but congrats on surviving! Just do all of lair, then orc, then a branch so you can bust into vaults and die to vault wardens and stuff.

Thanks for the advice! And you're correct, it's spider and swamp, not snake. I've actually completed all of Lair and Orc already- strange I should have a higher XL. I have been drained pretty heavily, though I don't know if that comes out of totals or not.

Okawaru has been a pal but he's not been doing much for me outside of heroism- when is a good time to swap?

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 17, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Poulpe posted:

Thanks for the advice! And you're correct, it's spider and swamp, not snake. I've actually completed all of Lair and Orc already- strange I should have a higher XL. I have been drained pretty heavily, though I don't know if that comes out of totals or not.

Okawaru has been a pal but he's not been doing much for me outside of heroism- when is a good time to swap?

Are you not using finesse? It halves your melee attack delay, effectively allowing you to double your damage output. Use finesse.

e: Draining does not cost you any XP.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 17, 2014

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

Grinder the hellion is my favourite killer of the tournament.

code:
  5664 | D:6      | Noticed Grinder
  5675 | D:6      | Paralysed by Grinder for 4 turns
  5677 | D:6      | Noticed Grinder
  5677 | D:6      | Grinder changed into Grinder the hellion
  5677 | D:6      | XOM: polymorph Grinder -> Grinder the hellion
  5680 | D:6      | Xom revived you
  5681 | D:6      | Xom revived you
  5686 | D:6      | Killed from afar by Grinder the hellion

Viashino_wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Consider my interest piqued.

Poulpe posted:

When you're confident you can handle repeatedly being ambushed by a troupe of dangerous melee guys and the occasional Titan.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Are you not using finesse? It halves your melee attack delay, effectively allowing you to double your damage output. Use finesse.

Yeah, Finesse is really good. It doesn't stack with Haste's attack delay reduction, but it's twice as strong.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e: Draining does not cost you any XP.

Viashino_wizard posted:

Yeah, Finesse is really good. It doesn't stack with Haste's attack delay reduction, but it's twice as strong.

I use finesse yeah, but only incredibly sparingly. It's my understanding that heroism is for "oh this fight will be tough" and finesse is for "I could very well die to this."

Good to know drain doesn't kill your XP gain though- I wonder why I'm behind.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man, I found a rune door, decided to open it, and found my squishy Tengu conjurer next to a whole bunch of insects. Still, I wasn't all that scared; the only things that might have killed me are the two soldier ants inside. So I just searing ray into the mass, and things are going pretty good. I'm poisoned for all of my hp, but I've got like 9 curing potions, so I thought I was good. I'm at 9 hp, but I'm at my final MP for searing ray, and the final soldier ant is almost dead. I'm thinking 'hey, it's only been hitting me for 4 to 5, so I should have one more turn to be able to finish him off then quaff a curing.

Nope. I should probably check to see how much damage things do before I try to do things like that.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Viashino_wizard posted:

So on the Tavern we're having a discussion about how Shoals is so much more dangerous and interesting than Swamp and someone joked that if Illsiuw moves next to a kraken she should mount it and ride it around.

Enter Bloax:

I think the game really needs another reason to avoid Shoals for as long as possible, so this is cool.
I do like how it looks quite a bit

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Man, I found a rune door, decided to open it, and found my squishy Tengu conjurer next to a whole bunch of insects. Still, I wasn't all that scared; the only things that might have killed me are the two soldier ants inside. So I just searing ray into the mass, and things are going pretty good. I'm poisoned for all of my hp, but I've got like 9 curing potions, so I thought I was good. I'm at 9 hp, but I'm at my final MP for searing ray, and the final soldier ant is almost dead. I'm thinking 'hey, it's only been hitting me for 4 to 5, so I should have one more turn to be able to finish him off then quaff a curing.

Nope. I should probably check to see how much damage things do before I try to do things like that.

Way to pull a LogicNinja

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I can't believe I didn't notice that Jessica has somehow killed 74 people, 26 of them in melee.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

I can't believe I didn't notice that Jessica has somehow killed 74 people, 26 of them in melee.

I was one of them. I'm kinda bad at this game.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Me too! In my defense I was trying to collect bottom rung combo scores

UncertainKitten
Oct 10, 2012
So, I have a quandry. I want to take a cat through partial extended. I am sure that Nemelex can be a bro for this, but my plan is mostly ninjaing runes with Death's Door, and I'm considering switching to Kiku for the necro support (Wild magic is the worst mut and I'm already training a lot of schools ;_;), corpse delivery, curse aversion, rTorment, you know, basically all this cool stuff for at least partial extended. How bad is Nemelex wrath if you're, say, XL 26, and how long does it stick around?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Can you turn a randart demon whip into a scourge with TSO?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Poulpe posted:

Can you turn a randart demon whip into a scourge with TSO?
No. There's no support in the code for altering the properties of artefacts and I think the idea is that they are already indestructible (outside of lava and Nemelex) and unalterable.

Poulpe posted:

I'm probably overestimating how much experience is in both lair and later dungeon nowadays, it's one of those things I don't know how to calculate and since they just changed it it's hard to estimate.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 18, 2014

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

kaschei posted:

No. There's no support in the code for altering the properties of artefacts and I think the idea is that they are already indestructible (outside of lava and Nemelex) and unalterable.

I'm probably overestimating how much experience is in both lair and later dungeon nowadays, it's one of those things I don't know how to calculate and since they just changed it it's hard to estimate.

Cool, appreciate it once again!
I've since found a cloak of preservation and a shield of reflection, which I plan on never taking off.

:toot:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

UncertainKitten posted:

So, I have a quandry. I want to take a cat through partial extended. I am sure that Nemelex can be a bro for this, but my plan is mostly ninjaing runes with Death's Door, and I'm considering switching to Kiku for the necro support (Wild magic is the worst mut and I'm already training a lot of schools ;_;), corpse delivery, curse aversion, rTorment, you know, basically all this cool stuff for at least partial extended. How bad is Nemelex wrath if you're, say, XL 26, and how long does it stick around?

Having just done this, it's... pretty random. I switched from Nem to TSO on a minotaur, then did Tomb, Abyss, and Slime while waiting out the wrath. It still wasn't done and I didn't fancy trying Pandemonium while under penance, so I Abyss scummed for a little longer after that and it wrapped up.

Nem wrath can call on a whole bunch of random bad Xom options, you get insta-starved, you get thrown into the Abyss, suffer miscasts... the nastiest thing I had to deal with, and I got it about four times, was being turned into a pig.

Generally speaking, it's nothing too nasty unless you get less lucky than me. Make sure you know your escape routes and keep a bit more food around than you normally would.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

hyperbowl posted:

Grinder the hellion is my favourite killer of the tournament.

code:
  5664 | D:6      | Noticed Grinder
  5675 | D:6      | Paralysed by Grinder for 4 turns
  5677 | D:6      | Noticed Grinder
  5677 | D:6      | Grinder changed into Grinder the hellion
  5677 | D:6      | XOM: polymorph Grinder -> Grinder the hellion
  5680 | D:6      | Xom revived you
  5681 | D:6      | Xom revived you
  5686 | D:6      | Killed from afar by Grinder the hellion

What you really mean is: Grinder the Hellion is the best killer ever.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
So I found 3 scrolls of acquirement as a TrMo of Makeob finishing lair, what the hell do I do with them? I found fire dragon armor i'm wearing and a flaming demon whip im just hanging onto in case of hydras in a volcano. I accidently threw a amulet of faith on but also have rings of mr, poison, cold, and slaying +5/+6

edit: I burned 1 on armor and it gave me -4 shield of the Leaf {rF+ rC+ Str+2}.

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 18, 2014

UncertainKitten
Oct 10, 2012

ZeeToo posted:

Having just done this, it's... pretty random. I switched from Nem to TSO on a minotaur, then did Tomb, Abyss, and Slime while waiting out the wrath. It still wasn't done and I didn't fancy trying Pandemonium while under penance, so I Abyss scummed for a little longer after that and it wrapped up.

Nem wrath can call on a whole bunch of random bad Xom options, you get insta-starved, you get thrown into the Abyss, suffer miscasts... the nastiest thing I had to deal with, and I got it about four times, was being turned into a pig.

Generally speaking, it's nothing too nasty unless you get less lucky than me. Make sure you know your escape routes and keep a bit more food around than you normally would.

All right. Well, at least I don't have to worry about keeping food around, I'd have Kiku's delivery service. So it's not awful in Tomb/Abyss/Slime either? Then I think it might be right course of action after I finish Crypts. I know the "Punishment" Deck is basically Xom, Wrath, Damnation, Famine, and...something else, I forget which.

...he can't draw Shuffle on you, can he? That would just be a friggen game ruiner.

The Newman
Oct 17, 2003
unconstructive critic

Viashino_wizard posted:

You know what? They've put some interesting new monsters in Swamp, like that hilarious mangrove creature. There are actually interesting vaults in it now. And the Swamp:5 I just did had Lern the hydra as a boss guarding the rune, and he has a sweet new tile.

After years of development, they've finally done it. I don't hate Swamp.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

ImPureAwesome posted:

So I found 3 scrolls of acquirement as a TrMo of Makeob finishing lair, what the hell do I do with them? I found fire dragon armor i'm wearing and a flaming demon whip im just hanging onto in case of hydras in a volcano. I accidently threw a amulet of faith on but also have rings of mr, poison, cold, and slaying +5/+6

take off the amulet of faith just before you go do orc. The piety gain from all the orcs will have you back in no time.

also: armour could give you an awesome cloak, or you could go for wands - wands has a high chance of giving you one of the Awesome Wands.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I hate swamps because its still a miserable place to slog through. All the fog lags webtiles so it runs slow. You have to constantly cut your way through swarms of weak but obnoxious monsters like wisps. The new enemies are all pretty cool and unique, but they stick to the spirit of being obnoxious. Mangroves dump more chaff on you, thorn hunters can gently caress up your battle field, and the lotus are just tedious to kill unless you're a caster. Though at least its not as bad as when bog mummies were around.

I don't like the lair branches in general though. Snake is the only one I ever enjoyed doing. Shoals is okay but the tide mechanic can be annoying when you are trying to explore one area of the map that is locked off half the time. Spider and Swamp are both easy as hell and only pose a threat through terminal boredom.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You could also keep the amulet of faith on and toss out brothers in arms even more often, amulet of faith rules.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jeffrey posted:

You could also keep the amulet of faith on and toss out brothers in arms even more often, amulet of faith rules.

It would be better if more essential and probably necessary crap wasn't mostly restricted to that slot, too. There's very little actual choice in what to use in some slots unless you trip over a cloak of conservation and even then you'd never have any reason to use any other cloak ever.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Jeffrey posted:

Yeah that's what I did for lair:8 (although with makhleb its greater servants) ran into Fanner, Rupert and an ice dragon at once and my executioners wrecked their poo poo

(also got archmagi hat and a wand of hasting with those scrolls so 1/3)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I love Swamp, it's not that hard and I like the flavor of it. Snake is probably my least favorite branch just because there's really no interesting geometry at all and nagas aren't terribly exciting. Even sharpshooters are still pretty vanilla.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Welp, dove to D:15 before doing orc without problem until I ran into a deep troll mag and a runed door. Of course the deep troll destroys the walls around it and unboxed a bunch of tengu reavers that blew me away after I ran into a tele trap that instead teled me next to them. :crawl:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

ImPureAwesome posted:

That shield is fantastic, and you should wear it.

e: not sarcasm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My stabber just found the arc blade so I guess everything's about to blow up with lightning when I stab it.

• Locked thread