Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Nektu posted:

So, you mean he has a choice? If putin throws him out, the US will get to him in days...

Yeah, unfortunately Snowden's superheroics begin and end with his data and collaboration with Greenwald. Getting stranded in Russia might mean that his day to day is tolerable, but make no mistake he will be on a short leash for the rest of his life. The only thing protecting him now is his implicit propaganda value to Putin.

I think he will be stuck there for decades until a future US President pardons him and a future Russian president has sufficiently de-Putinized the Russian intelligence services to make a clean break. Not holding my breath for either one.

edit:

Although it appears that Snowden has turned around and called bullshit on Putin's answer.

Edward Snowden posted:

On Thursday, I questioned Russia's involvement in mass surveillance on live television. I asked Russia's president, Vladimir Putin, a question that cannot credibly be answered in the negative by any leader who runs a modern, intrusive surveillance program: "Does [your country] intercept, analyse or store millions of individuals' communications?"

I went on to challenge whether, even if such a mass surveillance program were effective and technically legal, it could ever be morally justified.

The question was intended to mirror the now infamous exchange in US Senate intelligence committee hearings between senator Ron Wyden and the director of national intelligence, James Clapper, about whether the NSA collected records on millions of Americans, and to invite either an important concession or a clear evasion. (See a side-by-side comparison of Wyden's question and mine here.)

Clapper's lie – to the Senate and to the public – was a major motivating force behind my decision to go public, and a historic example of the importance of official accountability.

In his response, Putin denied the first part of the question and dodged on the latter. There are serious inconsistencies in his denial – and we'll get to them soon – but it was not the president's suspiciously narrow answer that was criticised by many pundits. It was that I had chosen to ask a question at all.

I was surprised that people who witnessed me risk my life to expose the surveillance practices of my own country could not believe that I might also criticise the surveillance policies of Russia, a country to which I have sworn no allegiance, without ulterior motive. I regret that my question could be misinterpreted, and that it enabled many to ignore the substance of the question – and Putin's evasive response – in order to speculate, wildly and incorrectly, about my motives for asking it.

The investigative journalist Andrei Soldatov, perhaps the single most prominent critic of Russia's surveillance apparatus (and someone who has repeatedly criticised me in the past year), described my question as "extremely important for Russia". It could, he said, "lift a de facto ban on public conversations about state eavesdropping."

When this event comes around next year, I hope we'll see more questions on surveillance programs and other controversial policies. But we don't have to wait until then. For example, journalists might ask for clarification as to how millions of individuals' communications are not being intercepted, analysed or stored, when, at least on a technical level, the systems that are in place must do precisely that in order to function. They might ask whether the social media companies reporting that they have received bulk collection requests from the Russian government are telling the truth.

I blew the whistle on the NSA's surveillance practices not because I believed that the United States was uniquely at fault, but because I believe that mass surveillance of innocents – the construction of enormous, state-run surveillance time machines that can turn back the clock on the most intimate details of our lives – is a threat to all people, everywhere, no matter who runs them.

Last year, I risked family, life, and freedom to help initiate a global debate that even Obama himself conceded "will make our nation stronger". I am no more willing to trade my principles for privilege today than I was then.

I understand the concerns of critics, but there is a more obvious explanation for my question than a secret desire to defend the kind of policies I sacrificed a comfortable life to challenge: if we are to test the truth of officials' claims, we must first give them an opportunity to make those claims.

amanasleep fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That article completely ignores what he provided to Putin. The audience for whom the interaction was intended will never see Snowden's take on it. It's nice that he got Putin to issue a blanket denial and everything, but who is that supposed to benefit? Americans who know he's mass snooping anyway? Journalists who don't have the time or inclination to follow up?

Snowden has shown that he is at least as savvy as your average D&D goon, so there's really very little excuse for his participation. I'd be more forgiving if he had written instead "what do you want me to do? Am I supposed to live without hookers sent to my dacha? Am I supposed to live period? If they gave me nipple tassels to wear and a script that said 'Crimea is Russian' I'd have done it. I want to live."

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

SedanChair posted:

That article completely ignores what he provided to Putin. The audience for whom the interaction was intended will never see Snowden's take on it. It's nice that he got Putin to issue a blanket denial and everything, but who is that supposed to benefit? Americans who know he's mass snooping anyway? Journalists who don't have the time or inclination to follow up?

Snowden has shown that he is at least as savvy as your average D&D goon, so there's really very little excuse for his participation. I'd be more forgiving if he had written instead "what do you want me to do? Am I supposed to live without hookers sent to my dacha? Am I supposed to live period? If they gave me nipple tassels to wear and a script that said 'Crimea is Russian' I'd have done it. I want to live."

He can't say that either. I agree that it seems like this was an obligation for him and that Putin still gets the better of the deal. I also would not be surprised if his response in the Guardian is fully sanctioned by Russian intelligence. Snowden's perceived independence in the west is also valuable to them, and like you said his response will have very little impact in Russia. It is pretty laughable to compare it to Wyden's question on the floor of congress.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SedanChair posted:

Yeah, but part of the deal is probably that he can't say that kind of thing. Even if he's never explicitly given a script he's under an immense amount of pressure and it wouldn't be at all surprising if he developed a stockholm syndrome like sympathy for Putin & Co.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Right, the sad part is that he seems like he might be nursing a belief that he accomplished something, that he somehow made Putin more accountable by taking his appointed place in the yearly media fête. It makes me wonder if his handlers would have even permitted him to make the appearance without issuing the statement afterwards, as that would have made the coercion more apparent.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Local story I saw. Does this sound to anyone else like it was going to be a parallel construction case and the cops blew it?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/glenview/chi-lawsuit-traffic-stop-police-video-20140417,0,3037183.story

quote:

Pruente, one of seven Chicago narcotics officers working the case that day, testified that after the traffic stop he smelled marijuana in Sperling's gold Ford Taurus while waiting for the Glenview man to produce his driver's license and insurance. He said Sperling admitted at the scene to having “a little weed” with him, an allegation Sperling denied.

Pruente said he then ordered Sperling out of the car and to stand near the trunk. Pruente said he searched the car and then handcuffed and arrested Sperling after finding the marijuana.

After the officers had testified at the hearing, Sperling’s criminal-defense lawyer, Steven Goldman, produced the videotape to the apparent surprise of the officers and prosecutors.

The video showed Pruente immediately handcuffed Sperling after pulling him over. He was then taken into the back of a squad car before his car was searched.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SedanChair posted:

The problem is that politely asking a government figure in public or in front of a camera will never cause them to reveal their secret intelligence programs or convince them to cut it out. Hell, let's not forget NSA officials lied to not only the public but Congress as well. And that seems to be what Snowden was going for - everybody knows every major country has mass surveillance, but having a major leader come out and lie about it gives the press a reason to dig into it.

Not that it's likely to affect much, as I doubt Putin has allowed the KGB to become as lax or leaky as the NSA, but it's something Snowden honestly in believes might happen. I think the outright hero-worship Western activists have of Snowden, as well as the complete dependence the anti-surveillance movement still has on his leaks, may have given Snowden an inflated view of his importance and his ability to contribute to the cause. However, there's really nothing else Snowden can do as an anti-surveillance activist; no one is ever going to let him anywhere near a secret document ever again for the rest of his life. All he can do is use his fame to make statements on TV. It's not like he's particularly savvy, either - he's just a Paulite who had complete unrestricted access to this stuff, poked around, and sent the whole cache of documents to a journalist. I think he seriously overestimates the Russian government's vulnerability to public and media pressure.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Local story I saw. Does this sound to anyone else like it was going to be a parallel construction case and the cops blew it?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/glenview/chi-lawsuit-traffic-stop-police-video-20140417,0,3037183.story

Nah. Cops do that poo poo all the time, the only surprise is it happening to a white guy. He probably mouthed off to a cop once.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 18, 2014

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Main Paineframe posted:

Nah. Cops do that poo poo all the time, the only surprise is it happening to a white guy. He probably mouthed off to a cop once.

Cops know a guy has weed in his car before talking to him or pulling him over all the time?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

SedanChair posted:

Snowden said what prompted him to pull the trigger was seeing Clapper lie under oath to Congress to a very similar question. Raising that question in the Russian political system may very well prompt the same sort of denials that could prompt a Russian leaker to come forward.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Cops know a guy has weed in his car before talking to him or pulling him over all the time?

Not wanting to reveal an informant is more likely than anything else, but even that doesn't really explain this:

quote:

The five cops – Chicago police Sgt. James Padar and Officers William Pruente and Vince Morgan and Glenview police Sgt. Theresa Urbanowski and Officer Jim Horn -- have been stripped of their police powers and put on desk duty pending internal investigations. The state's attorney's office is looking into possible criminal violations.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Xandu posted:

Not wanting to reveal an informant is more likely than anything else, but even that doesn't really explain this:

Ah, I didn't think about that. Makes more sense.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ShadowHawk posted:

Snowden said what prompted him to pull the trigger was seeing Clapper lie under oath to Congress to a very similar question. Raising that question in the Russian political system may very well prompt the same sort of denials that could prompt a Russian leaker to come forward.

I'm sure that there's been a private conversation between Putin and Snowden to the effect of "for real though, if you had leaked FSB files I'd totes have had you strangled. Cheers!"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dum Cumpster posted:

Did they actually know he had weed in the car at that time? Stopping someone, claiming to smell weed, and searching the car is common as hell. If they didn't find anything, they'd just let him go (or, if he pissed them off enough, dragged him to the station on an "obstructing an officer" charge they'd drop within a day) and there wouldn't have been a drat thing he could have done about it. Like I said, the only surprising part is it happening to a white guy.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Snowden and posters itt are being incredibly naive if they think he can spur some kind of civil discourse about security surveillance in Russia.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

shrike82 posted:

Snowden and posters itt are being incredibly naive if they think he can spur some kind of civil discourse about security surveillance in Russia.

Your post is full of substance and convincing. It is not an unevidenced put-down seemingly disguised to project superior wisdom and experience onto yourself "Hey guys, it won't work, why you bother, so naive/newb".

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, but part of the deal is probably that he can't say that kind of thing. Even if he's never explicitly given a script he's under an immense amount of pressure and it wouldn't be at all surprising if he developed a stockholm syndrome like sympathy for Putin & Co.

Yep. People expecting Snowden (or anyone under that kind of pressure) to be some sort of machiavellian savvy mastermind completely and all the time are really the most naive ones of all.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I've been pretty understanding of Snowden since he clearly did not intend to end up in Russia, but this is not defensible. It's not like he was calling into C-SPAN, this was a tightly controlled propaganda session. Snowden had to know Putin was just going to smoothly deny anything, and it's not like he would have any opportunity to ask a follow-up question or access to some trove of FSB documents to contradict him. This was either coerced or stupid.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Elotana posted:

I've been pretty understanding of Snowdon since he clearly did not intend to end up in Russia, but this is not defensible. It's not like he was calling into C-SPAN, this was a tightly controlled propaganda session. Snowdon had to know Putin was just going to smoothly deny anything, and it's not like he would have any opportunity to ask a follow-up question or access to some trove of FSB documents to contradict him. This was either coerced or stupid.

Interesting.

I think most people would actually agree that C-SPAN is also a tightly regulated propaganda session. First up, you get a nice mish-mash of Washington 'insiders' debating in a ping-pong fashion. Following that you get a mish-mash of C-SPAN callers afterwards to emphasise just how crazy and untrustable the masses of people in America are to remind you they cannot be trusted with much decision making. Therefore, we must choose between the Washington insider caucuses.

I kid, but anyways.

You assert 'he had to know he was going to deny anything' (without any actual import to why that matters) and then go on a bunch of irrelevant stuff. You then apply the classic false dichotomy that it was either coerced or stupid. What this actually boils down to you is that you speculate it may be coerced but have no evident but personally think its stupid.

Anyways, do I think its stupid? Im not entirely formed of a view yet.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Elotana posted:

I've been pretty understanding of Snowden since he clearly did not intend to end up in Russia, but this is not defensible. It's not like he was calling into C-SPAN, this was a tightly controlled propaganda session. Snowden had to know Putin was just going to smoothly deny anything, and it's not like he would have any opportunity to ask a follow-up question or access to some trove of FSB documents to contradict him. This was either coerced or stupid.

Snowden did know that Putin would lie - and also that no one would believe Putin's lie. He compares it to Wyden asking Clapper if the NSA was conducting mass surveillance on Americans - Wyden knew the real answer to the question, he knew Clapper's answer was a lie, and they probably knew from the start that he was going to lie to them. To Snowden, the question wasn't asked in order to give Clapper a chance to spew propaganda, nor was it asked in order to get a truthful answer. Instead it was asked in order to get Clapper to clearly, blatantly, unambiguously lie, publicly and on the record, which got a lot of media play later on. Snowden says he was aiming for the same sort of thing with his question to Putin, except he vastly overestimates the Russian press's ability to use the obvious lie to somehow humiliate or pressure Putin.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

Did they actually know he had weed in the car at that time? Stopping someone, claiming to smell weed, and searching the car is common as hell. If they didn't find anything, they'd just let him go (or, if he pissed them off enough, dragged him to the station on an "obstructing an officer" charge they'd drop within a day) and there wouldn't have been a drat thing he could have done about it. Like I said, the only surprising part is it happening to a white guy.

They had him under surveillance for a while and he had a pound of weed. I'm guessing he had just picked it up and they correctly assumed he was holding but without any actual proof of it so they decided to just make some poo poo up and lie on the stand. The judge seems pissed though so hopefully they'll get burned hard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Main Paineframe posted:

Snowden did know that Putin would lie - and also that no one would believe Putin's lie. He compares it to Wyden asking Clapper if the NSA was conducting mass surveillance on Americans - Wyden knew the real answer to the question, he knew Clapper's answer was a lie, and they probably knew from the start that he was going to lie to them. To Snowden, the question wasn't asked in order to give Clapper a chance to spew propaganda, nor was it asked in order to get a truthful answer. Instead it was asked in order to get Clapper to clearly, blatantly, unambiguously lie, publicly and on the record, which got a lot of media play later on. Snowden says he was aiming for the same sort of thing with his question to Putin, except he vastly overestimates the Russian press's ability to use the obvious lie to somehow humiliate or pressure Putin.

Clapper lying under oath and this farce aren't even remotely analogous (I realize that was his argument not yours). If this is the true extent of Snowden's naiveness and delusion, I'm extremely disappointed.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

What would Snowden have done in this situation if he was as brilliant and cynical as you can possibly imagine? Why do you even care whether he is naive and delusional or not? Do you think this accomplished something important for Putin? Are you imagining that someone somewhere actually believed his answer?

Honest questions, I have no idea why people think Snowden's character is a central issue at this point and I can't even begin to imagine what you think the wise course of action would have been in his situation if not this.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Irony.or.Death posted:

What would Snowden have done in this situation if he was as brilliant and cynical as you can possibly imagine? Why do you even care whether he is naive and delusional or not? Do you think this accomplished something important for Putin? Are you imagining that someone somewhere actually believed his answer?

Honest questions, I have no idea why people think Snowden's character is a central issue at this point and I can't even begin to imagine what you think the wise course of action would have been in his situation if not this.

"Shoot the messenger" more or less worked with Manning. Going after Snowden as a person is the best remaining option once the police state itself is completely indefensible on its face.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

At the outset of the entire affair, I recall Snowden supporters bristling at the notion that he was making a dumb move running into the arms of Putin.
Guess what, he's a propaganda prop tool now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Irony.or.Death posted:

What would Snowden have done in this situation if he was as brilliant and cynical as you can possibly imagine?

Uh, not made the appearance? Unless it was actually under coercion.

quote:

Why do you even care whether he is naive and delusional or not? Do you think this accomplished something important for Putin? Are you imagining that someone somewhere actually believed his answer?

In Russia? Likely. How effective it is as propaganda isn't as important as the fact that this happened at all.

quote:

Did somebody imply his character was a central issue? It's an unfortunate blemish on somebody that appeared smarter than this, and does give his detractors actual mud to sling, but that doesn't somehow invalidate the case against the NSA or his contribution to bringing it to light.

Do you believe he had no other choice? If that were the case, than yeah, I won't judge him for doing what he has to do to survive. But that's not necessarily the case.

chairface posted:

"Shoot the messenger" more or less worked with Manning. Going after Snowden as a person is the best remaining option once the police state itself is completely indefensible on its face.

Yeah but it's not US goverment that made him make that appearance, if anybody did.

And for the nth time: if he was coerced it's a whole different situation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rinkles posted:

Do you believe he had no other choice? If that were the case, than yeah, I won't judge him for doing what he has to do to survive. But that's not necessarily the case.

What about indirect or passive coercion? Does he have to have a gun to the back of his head here or does Putin turning off his electricity for the month count? I don't think Snowden is being directly physically coerced here, but I do think he's in a situation where he's very vulnerable to manipulation. And I don't blame him for being in that situation because after the decision to contact Greenwald he's had an ever-narrowing pool of available choices. The move to Hong Kong was the most rational thing given what was being done to Manning, the move to Russia was his only option when Hong Kong kicked him out, and now that he's in Russia he's likely reliant on Putin for everything from food to information.

At this point, I don't really fault Snowden for making bad choices; he's not a completely free agent, he doesn't have any good choices left, and he made the right choice when it counted.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What about indirect or passive coercion?

Yeah, depending on the specifics, that could totally be exculpating.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

shrike82 posted:

At the outset of the entire affair, I recall Snowden supporters bristling at the notion that he was making a dumb move running into the arms of Putin.
He did not "run into the arms of Putin." He was attempting to get to Latin America and got stuck in Russia because his passport was revoked and the West closed ranks and showed they were willing to force down heads of state over suspicion he was on board, so a Havana Aeroflot was out. There are no direct flights from HKG to Latin America; SVO was by far the best choice for a connection in terms of not immediately turning him over to the US (AUS/NZ) or getting exfiltrated (insert small African/Asian country here). You can say leaving Hong Kong in the first place was a dumb move, but that's hindsight.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I guess the other aspect about this is when was the last time did we have an American public figure coerced into being a propaganda tool by a foreign power.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

shrike82 posted:

I guess the other aspect about this is when was the last time did we have an American public figure coerced into being a propaganda tool by a foreign power.

Snowden is a non-entity in this story. He could go on a shooting spree tomorrow and it wouldn't suddenly justify the NSA hamstringing the security of the internet so that they can spy on US citizens.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I don't think anyone's made the claim that the NSA is right because of this.
We're just saying that it's newsworthy.

It's peculiar to see erstwhile Snowden supporters go "Snowden is unimportant. Who gives a poo poo about him" and repudiate him.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

shrike82 posted:

Seriously, "running into the arms of Putin" do you forget that whole thing 'where in the world is Snowden' and they were holding up planes of foreign countries leaders and crap.

You are the propaganda tool.

It is really beyond honestly clear you have an emotional attachment to his character and the drama of this in your mind and it is making GBS threads up good conversation to be had about the disclosures/ state of Surveillance in the 21st Century. You aren't the only one doing this dw but ungh

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 21, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Clapper lying under oath and this farce aren't even remotely analogous (I realize that was his argument not yours). If this is the true extent of Snowden's naiveness and delusion, I'm extremely disappointed.

I know, right? It's almost as naive and delusional as leaking a shitload of classified intelligence documents describing the efforts of the most powerful country in the world to spy on literally every human being on the planet except for North Koreans. A leak of this magnitude is itself a sign of poor decision-making, especially when the Manning leaks demonstrated that leaking is unlikely to bring about real change.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

I know, right? It's almost as naive and delusional as leaking a shitload of classified intelligence documents describing the efforts of the most powerful country in the world to spy on literally every human being on the planet except for North Koreans. A leak of this magnitude is itself a sign of poor decision-making, especially when the Manning leaks demonstrated that leaking is unlikely to bring about real change.

I really wouldn't classify the two into the same category of naivete, but sure, if you want to. I said it would be incredibly disappointing, not incredibly surprising.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

shrike82 posted:

That's a pretty bad propaganda tool then.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/18/vladimir-putin-surveillance-us-leaders-snowden

Main Paineframe posted:

Why is revealing the truth naive and delusional?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

It's peculiar to see erstwhile Snowden supporters go "Snowden is unimportant. Who gives a poo poo about him" and repudiate him.

Manning was a traitor, Assange is a rapist*, now Snowden is a defector.

Fake concern works just as well as outright derision in deflecting all discussion into an irrelevant personal drama, as this thread talking about nothing but Snowden Snowden Snowden for days now demonstrates, again.

It's not peculiar to repudiate the source, it's necessary. There's always going to be some way to tar the source, even if it requires the US Government to take action to manufacture the situation as it did in revoking his passport and shutting down flights to strand him in Russia.

*Before this spawns fifteen more pages of deflection on that issue yes Assange should go face his rape charges.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
According to ACLU attorney and Snowden adviser Ben Wizner, Snowden wasn't coerced and indeed thought he was criticizing Russia.

quote:

“I know this is hard to believe. I know if I was just watching from afar, I’d think, ‘Wow, they forced him [Snowden] to do this,’” Wizner added. “But it’s not true. He just loving did it.”

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The best kind of shill believes that he's your respected adversary, after all. I'm sure Abby Martin sees herself the same way, subverting the power Putin gave her to question his legitimacy.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
The source Daily Beast article reads like he either didn't talk to others about it or was told in advance it was a bad idea. For people described as close associates, key advisers, and otherwise "in his camp", there's a lot of third person used in their quoted reactions. Wizner had to be intending that that line be repeated.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

Jacobin posted:

You assert 'he had to know he was going to deny anything' (without any actual import to why that matters) and then go on a bunch of irrelevant stuff. You then apply the classic false dichotomy that it was either coerced or stupid. What this actually boils down to you is that you speculate it may be coerced but have no evident but personally think its stupid.

Anyways, do I think its stupid? Im not entirely formed of a view yet.
Snowden is.

quote:

NSA leaker Edward Snowden instantly regretted asking Russian President Vladimir Putin a softball question on live television about the Kremlin’s mass surveillance effort, two sources close to the leaker tell The Daily Beast.

“It certainly didn’t go as he would’ve hoped,” one of these sources said. “I don’t think there’s any shame in saying that he made an error in judgment.”

“It was the strongest possible question that could possibly get through [Putin’s propagandists],” one source close to Snowden said. Which is to say: not very strong at all.

Snowden may have thought he could catch Putin in a lie; Russia, in fact, has one of the world’s most pervasive systems for state surveillance. Snowden may have crafted the question to mirror Sen. Ron Wyden’s questioning under oath of Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, as Snowden later claimed in his Guardian op-ed. (Clapper wound up spouting, as he later put it, the “least untruthful” statement he could about the NSA’s domestic spying.) But that assumes Putin — or Russia — cares about such untruths in the same way America or its leaders do. “Trapping Putin in a lie is not the same as trapping Obama or Clapper,” one of Snowden’s advisers sighed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CSM posted:

Why is revealing the truth naive and delusional?

Expecting it to be effective enough to potentially ruin your life over sure is. Look at Manning; in the end, nothing came of that leak except, what, how many years in prison? Manning doesn't even get the privilege of being remembered as a martyr, since Snowden completely overshadowed what little recognition remained after his conviction.

• Locked thread