Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Pivo posted:

Yeah I guess by native res I didn't consider the retina resolution, half-res will still look fine though, just won't be "retina". But with the dedicated GPU you'd actually be able to get decent framerates with good draw distance and detail.

I've tried running WoW with the Intel HD 3000 and it was just awful. My 6750M is outdated by now too but at least it's playable without turning nearly everything to minimum.

I get that the new IGPU is somewhat faster, but dude specifically asked about playing games, and anyone who wants to play games on their laptop IMO needs one with a discrete GPU. I've never really had anyone question that wisdom before, integrated graphics aren't that good yet.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6993/intel-iris-pro-5200-graphics-review-core-i74950hq-tested/9

Are they not? I think it's pretty drat close for most cases, bar the ridiculous stuff like Crysis 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I don't have a retina MBP, but what happens if you use retina resolution with no/very little AA?

jmcg_omg_kekeke
Aug 11, 2006
Lolz
Is there a main recommendation for methods / products for cleaning the Retina macbook screens? I got rid of little piece of material that sits between the keyboard and screen, not realizing that it's basically a grease / mark magnet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Throw one of these over the keyboard before you close the lid to avoid that issue. Beyond that, just use a microfiber cloth to wipe the screen. Don't use cleaning products. If you've got something on there that needs a little bit of help (you spit on the screen, you disgusting, gross ogre) just dampen your cloth with water before wiping the screen down.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

How bad is it to leave a recent (2011) MBP running hot for long periods of time? I'm a 3D artist, and I often have renders going for many hours. I'd really like to leave it running overnight, but I don't feel great about the machine running that hot for that long, so generally I just do it in chunks of a few hours at a time. I'm saving up for a new Mac Pro, but, for now, this is what I have... if any of you could put my mind at ease (or chastise me for melting my computer from the inside out), I'd appreciate it!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I would assume that over a period of time the fan might wear out prematurely - but as far as a temperature standpoint, an Intel chip isn't going to burn itself up or anything.

jmcg_omg_kekeke
Aug 11, 2006
Lolz

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Throw one of these over the keyboard before you close the lid to avoid that issue. Beyond that, just use a microfiber cloth to wipe the screen. Don't use cleaning products. If you've got something on there that needs a little bit of help (you spit on the screen, you disgusting, gross ogre) just dampen your cloth with water before wiping the screen down.

Haha, perfect, thank you!

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Cyne posted:

How bad is it to leave a recent (2011) MBP running hot for long periods of time? I'm a 3D artist, and I often have renders going for many hours. I'd really like to leave it running overnight, but I don't feel great about the machine running that hot for that long, so generally I just do it in chunks of a few hours at a time. I'm saving up for a new Mac Pro, but, for now, this is what I have... if any of you could put my mind at ease (or chastise me for melting my computer from the inside out), I'd appreciate it!

You may decrease the overall life of the battery. Unless it's crazy heat with temp warnings I wouldn't be too concerned.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

I would assume that over a period of time the fan might wear out prematurely - but as far as a temperature standpoint, an Intel chip isn't going to burn itself up or anything.

And speaking of the fans, on the 2011 MBP at least they're fairly cheap to buy and ridiculously easy to replace, so it's not a big deal. But I don't really think it'll wear them out... they're supposed to last quite a long time even spinning full blast 24/7, they're just not always perfectly manufactured (we're not doing rocket science here) so you get them failing prematurely sometimes like with any moving parts in a computer.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Quick Mac Mini question. I just picked up a new Mini and wanted to throw a SSD in it. Can I use just about any standard SSD? I saw a good deal for a 500GB here and wanted to jump on it.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

No. 6 posted:

Quick Mac Mini question. I just picked up a new Mini and wanted to throw a SSD in it. Can I use just about any standard SSD? I saw a good deal for a 500GB here and wanted to jump on it.

Yeah that one should work just fine.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Bob Morales posted:

Yeah, I'm cautious because I remember how you could fry an egg on those old PowerBooks if you pushed them even a little bit - seems like the MBPs are much improved in that regard. I think I might start sending some of my work out to render farms, but it's good to know I can afford to keep the old MBP going for a little while too.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pivo posted:

Yeah I guess by native res I didn't consider the retina resolution, half-res will still look fine though, just won't be "retina". But with the dedicated GPU you'd actually be able to get decent framerates with good draw distance and detail.

I've tried running WoW with the Intel HD 3000 and it was just awful. My 6750M is outdated by now too but at least it's playable without turning nearly everything to minimum.

I get that the new IGPU is somewhat faster, but dude specifically asked about playing games, and anyone who wants to play games on their laptop IMO needs one with a discrete GPU. I've never really had anyone question that wisdom before, integrated graphics aren't that good yet.

I wonder whether games will ever get some kind of option to render the 3D framebuffer at some lower res, add all the UI and text on top at full retina res, then combine the two and display at the LCD's native res.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I wonder whether games will ever get some kind of option to render the 3D framebuffer at some lower res, add all the UI and text on top at full retina res, then combine the two and display at the LCD's native res.

Didn't Diablo 3 do that?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

~Coxy posted:

They actually do this on consoles IIRC

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
ArmA 2, a PC game, does this as well. Although typically, people will just turn up the rendering resolution, since it tends to default to something lower than the native resolution of a normal DPI display. It also happens to be one of the few games I cannot run either in wine or Parallels 9. In wine, it doesn't render properly, and in Parallels, it chugs along at less than 20fps. And yet I was able to run Borderlands 2 in Parallels without much noticeable frame rate drop, from back when the version differences prevented me from using the Mac version to play with PC using friends.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Any news on the new MBP updates? I know the new intel chips aren't supposed to drop until late this year at the earliest. I'm in the market for a new MBP to replace my mid 2009 model. I'm probably better off waiting but I'm getting impatient and I probably won't bother with waiting if WWDC isn't likely to showcase some major change.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

I Might Be Adam posted:

Any news on the new MBP updates?

Only on the old updates.

From the first page of this thread come invaluable words of wisdom: "Nobody knows when Apple's going to do poo poo. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise."

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Haswell refresh is rumoured for early May, but this might mean nothing for Apple because they don't always follow Intel's release cycles. Broadwell seems like it'll be this fall at the earliest but maybe not till early 2015.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Just gonna keep quoting myself over and over.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Broadwell has been delayed until Q4 2014, so we likely won't see any MacBooks with Broadwell until 2015. They'll likely do a minor spec bump this year just to have "2014" models, but I doubt it'll be anything worth waiting for.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Sure would be nice if they'd drop the price more considering the glacial pace at which the hardware is improving.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It would be nice but they also don't have much competition.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Sure but it's just depressing to see that speeds have barely improved in like three years and the prospect of shelling out $2K for a new laptop that is just marginally better than the old one on everything but battery life is going to deter a lot of people from upgrading. Not really Apple's fault that Moore's law is dead of course, just seems like at some point prices need to reflect this plateau.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The battery is so much insanely better it's not even funny.

I'll gladly take that plus the PCI-E SSD over a 15% increase in CPU power.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Anyone know what the Xeon roadmap is like? I'm trying to read up on it but I'm confused as balls by Intel's naming and such. I'm trying to figure out if there will be a Mac Pro refresh this year.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Anyone know what the Xeon roadmap is like? I'm trying to read up on it but I'm confused as balls by Intel's naming and such. I'm trying to figure out if there will be a Mac Pro refresh this year.

Considering they're still difficult to get and it took them how many years?

I probably wouldn't count on it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

Considering they're still difficult to get and it took them how many years?

I probably wouldn't count on it.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. Next tax period then.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

flavor posted:

Only on the old updates.

From the first page of this thread come invaluable words of wisdom: "Nobody knows when Apple's going to do poo poo. Don't listen to anyone who says otherwise."

Yeah, I know that nobody knows poo poo about what upgrades are coming until Apple officially announces it. I was more or less focused on broadwell but I guess it's in the same rumor state about 2015 that I've read in the past.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Sure but it's just depressing to see that speeds have barely improved in like three years and the prospect of shelling out $2K for a new laptop that is just marginally better than the old one on everything but battery life is going to deter a lot of people from upgrading. Not really Apple's fault that Moore's law is dead of course, just seems like at some point prices need to reflect this plateau.

I can agree with this but for me this time around, the price seems a bit more reasonable for the high end specs that I'm seeing with the rMBP. My first was a Powerbook and I remember dropping $3k and then my 2009 MBP was pretty close to that amount. This time around, I don't feel like I HAVE to fully deck it out to get the kind of power and longevity that I'm used to with apple computers.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Pryor on Fire posted:

A lot of hand-wavy comments in this one. So a computer with 4 times the resolution, 2-3 times the battery life and 6 times or whatever the storage access speed is only marginally better? Suuure. Not to mention the CPU and GPU improvements over three years.

Evis posted:

Haswell refresh is rumoured for early May, but this might mean nothing for Apple because they don't always follow Intel's release cycles.

Right, because Intel follows Apple's. Well maybe not quite, but in any event, Apple's flagship laptop releases have closely coincided with Intel's mobile releases, so it's not unreasonable to assume that that will continue.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Isn't it possible to get a rMBP 13 for like $1200 or $1300? Considering the battery life and general performance and that beautiful display, I think that is an amazing deal.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

flavor posted:

Apple's flagship laptop releases have closely coincided with Intel's mobile releases, so it's not unreasonable to assume that that will continue.

Yeah, you're right. I was thinking about some of their less popular machines when I said that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Sure would be nice if they'd drop the price more considering the glacial pace at which the hardware is improving.

They just dropped the price of the retina $200 with the October release. Their portables are constantly dropping in price every couple years.

EDIT: It's even the title of the thread!

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 18, 2014

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

fookolt posted:

Isn't it possible to get a rMBP 13 for like $1200 or $1300?

Yes, on recommendation from this thread I just bought the latest model 8/256 13" rMBP for $1269... it is a refurb though (completely indistinguishable from brand new, but a refurb)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ironlung posted:

Yes, on recommendation from this thread I just bought the latest model 8/256 13" rMBP for $1269... it is a refurb though (completely indistinguishable from brand new, but a refurb)

yeah it's important to note that apple refurbs are the same as a new one, go through the standrd QA process after repair and also come with the same 1 year limited warranty.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Is it true that refurbs don't come with the fancy boxes and the cables don't come wrapped up like when you buy a retail box apple thing that you can never manage to put back into the box?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

Is it true that refurbs don't come with the fancy boxes and the cables don't come wrapped up like when you buy a retail box apple thing that you can never manage to put back into the box?
True and true.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Not surprising when you are buying a soiled product.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

All the cables that came with my refurb were neatly coiled with various plastic things holding stuff in place, identical to the cables that came with all the brand new apple products I have ever bought. Everything was packed in nice and tight and the cables were in a white, very "Apple-like" box that had the Apple logo and said "Apple Certified". The noticeable difference was the lack of an outer box that said MacBook Pro on it, it was just regular cardboard.

ironlung fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 18, 2014

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

I Might Be Adam posted:

Yeah, I know that nobody knows poo poo about what upgrades are coming until Apple officially announces it. I was more or less focused on broadwell but I guess it's in the same rumor state about 2015 that I've read in the past.

I can agree with this but for me this time around, the price seems a bit more reasonable for the high end specs that I'm seeing with the rMBP. My first was a Powerbook and I remember dropping $3k and then my 2009 MBP was pretty close to that amount. This time around, I don't feel like I HAVE to fully deck it out to get the kind of power and longevity that I'm used to with apple computers.

Depending on what you do you could probably get away with a stock rMBP. I got the low end stock 15" + 16 GB of ram for the VMs. It destroyed everything I used to do on my 13" MBP and older 15"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

ptier posted:

Depending on what you do you could probably get away with a stock rMBP. I got the low end stock 15" + 16 GB of ram for the VMs. It destroyed everything I used to do on my 13" MBP and older 15"

I'm sure that even the stock rMBPs are going to blow away my current machine but it's the longevity I'm thinking about. I usually get a minimum of 5 years out of my apple counters before certain tasks become too slow and irritating. Last year, it was a print catalog with back and forth Photoshop and InDesign work on large files that finally made me decide I need to start looking for new machine. Watching programs hang and chug along for minutes at a time can really affect your productivity.

Good news is that I'll be able to dump some more ram into it and my wife can use it for internet/word processing for quite a bit longer after I upgrade to a new machine.