Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KoldPT posted:

You might want to get some form of +15 weapon in addition to your katana, because some enemies resist lightning and because, in general, if you are investing into dex/str it's good to have a +15 weapon that scales well with those stats. I suggest the balder side sword because it's really loving cool & good.

My STR and DEX are only 20. Should I start levelling them?

I got the balder side sword this playthrough early on. I made it a divine weapon so I could explore the catacombs and beat pinwheel without skeletons resurrecting on me. Should I undo it and just level it up on the normal path?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'd hang on to the dragon scales in case he wants to use the dragon tooth, which I did and loved.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Do what you want. Strength and Dexterity have maximum gains per level until 40, but when you two hand your strength get multiplied by 1.5, so you really only need 26 points in Strength for when you twohand to get the most out of your levels. Dexterity can go to 40 just fine.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
You probably get the most bang for your buck by leveling your STR to 27/28 and DEX to 40. Strength doesn't really need to go all the way up to 40 since 27 caps the damage when you're 2-handing a STR weapon, and 28 lets you use almost all the STR weapons 1 or at least 2 handed. I think the only thing that can't at least be 2-handed at 28 are a couple of the super cumbersome hammers. The 40 DEX lets you use all the DEX weapons at max damage. So either way you get to try out a huge variety of weapons with good damage and you can pick and choose what movesets you like from there.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Of course this means spending the next 28 levels on these stats but hey! :v:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Levels are for nubs anyway. Anyone who is not naked and level 1 is playing the game wrong.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Nuns with Guns posted:

Levels are for nubs anyway. Anyone who is not naked and level 1 is playing the game wrong.
yeah i bet this dishonorable scrublord uses cheaty cheap pyromancy or even upgrades his weapons or drinks estus like a total badplayer who needs superlame crutches, time to lern 2 play the game right

Orv
May 4, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

yeah i bet this dishonorable scrublord uses cheaty cheap pyromancy or even upgrades his weapons or drinks estus like a total badplayer who needs superlame crutches, time to lern 2 play the game right

...I think he was joking man, chill out.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Orv posted:

...I think he was joking man, chill out.
so was i, but less subtle so beginners who read that "no listen here's how to play this right :smug:" stuff said in earnest constantly don't get the wrong idea. :)

ain't that always the problem
vvvvv

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 19, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011
I can't tell anymore. :smith:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
You guys need to get gud with jokes. You were so so slow on the uptake that I lagstabbed you.

Also I'm a girl.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

ChaosArgate posted:

Be warned that if you do it like this as soon as you hit The Depths, the boss'll be much harder because there'll be a Channeler you can't reach sniping you and buffing the boss.

Learned this the hard way, fought the boss alone, with him plinking magic bolts at me.

Got my sweet revenge on that annoying bastard a bit later, and it was then I got cursed. Still worth it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so invading is fun. Even managed to survive a 2 on 1 when, while dickwraithing, the guy summoned Solaire. Thought that was going to be the end of me, and in fairness invading by O&S was pretty stupid but I actually managed to win my first one!

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

so invading is fun. Even managed to survive a 2 on 1 when, while dickwraithing, the guy summoned Solaire. Thought that was going to be the end of me, and in fairness invading by O&S was pretty stupid but I actually managed to win my first one!

Good job man.

Invading at O&S is the best place, and if you end up outnumbered, you don't have to be a good sport, be a dick and use the big sentries to your advantage, afterall you know where the host is going.
Though of course it might feel better to beat them fair and square (which it probably isn't entirely anyways since you are prepared and they might not be, but that's a whole 'nother discussion).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Invading by O&S is really, really fun in my experience. Yeah, the people you invade won't be tricked out but they should have at least +10 weapons if not +15 considering everyone has read guides on how to do that by now. Plus the designated PvP areas are full of assholes with boring builds and hackers, but people in AL wear whatever because they're not trying to win at PvP hardcore. It's great for fairly evenly-matched PvP with the occasional gank squad. If the people you invade take their deaths in good spirit you can even help them kill the bosses for some extra souls and they appreciate that a lot.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Even better, most gank squads there i've ran into with my SL1 we're pretty great sports about it and kept it interesting.

I mean i was toast anyway cause i suck terribly at lag stabbing and dead angling and 99% of players going for pvp don't but hey, that's what i'm asking for as an invader. :)

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Following up on my previous post about trying co-op for the first time, I tried some invading as the cat covenant.

First summon, appeared into a 2v2 fight with one hacker on each side.
Next several seemed like people just trying to get through the area, including some poor dude in knights armor that I invaded 4 times in row within 20 minutes somehow.
Next was an even-ish fight that I lost which was pretty fun, and then another hacker.

Pretty neat. I mostly just did it to grab the ring of fog. I clearly didn't have a fantastic pvp build and I'm terrible at actually fighting, but I did get up through OnS to get a lightning gargoyle halberd at sl16. Probably in some weird spot where I'm way too powerful for newbies due to my gear, but lose out to anyone who actually knows what they're doing in pvp.

Probably won't try to pvp that much here since the density of hackers seems a bit high, and alternatively I feel like a jerk for smashing the back of someones head in as they're running from a group of walking tree monsters. Although, on one invasion, the npc thief actually got the killing blow with a backstab as the host turned to face me, which was pretty funny.

Also, first indictment. :feelsgood:

Orv
May 4, 2011
My favorite invasion spot for non-serious PvP is the first portion of AL. Give it a try sometime. You can turn the bridge back under the right circumstances if you really want to be a dick.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I haven't done much invading but yeah AL is a great spot for it for both sides. Most everywhere else in the game the people invading me were way out of my league, but in AL I actually got a good number of evenly matched and actually fun invasions.

My favorite invasion so far was a particularly pathetic blue spirit who came at me in the tomb of the giants. I'm not sure why he was invading when he seemed completely perplexed by my advanced strategy of "shield block his attacks and then counter".

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Sweet, I'll keep that in mind! Also gently caress the invisible pathways in the crystal chambers. Seriously.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
I was really just going to focus on the story and the single player of the game, but I want to maybe try some invading of my own later on. It sounds like you guys are having way too much fun with it for me not to partake. It's probably the main reason why I haven't gotten any npc to join in my fights too, since I've been ignoring any soulsign except for the orange messages.

Also, what's up with the game being so addictive? I'm in another part of the country during easter, not being able to play DS on my craptop there, and feel like someone has taken my crack pipe away from me.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 20, 2014

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The game is stressful enough on your first playthrough just trying to crawl to the next bonfire without invaders and you don't know 80% of the stuff they could throw at you anyway, so i can completely understand why people would avoid that aspect.

On following playthroughs i try to be human as much as possible, give decent invaders a decent fight and summon whenever gfwl lets me (which is a downright sad percentage of signs i actually see). And whenever i invade i drop a few humanities (if available) to encourage others to do the same.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

The game is stressful enough on your first playthrough just trying to crawl to the next bonfire without invaders and you don't know 80% of the stuff they could throw at you anyway, so i can completely understand why people would avoid that aspect.

On following playthroughs i try to be human as much as possible, give decent invaders a decent fight and summon whenever gfwl lets me (which is a downright sad percentage of signs i actually see). And whenever i invade i drop a few humanities (if available) to encourage others to do the same.

Yeah, these were my i initial thoughts, and I have enjoyed the single player so much that wishing for even more fun out of the game seems almost greedy.

I'm just a little bummed out that I won't be able to participate on the invading and helping others with fights when GfWL gets shut down. I really hope they change it to Steamworks, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 20, 2014

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Downs Duck posted:

I'm just a little bummed out that I won't be able to participate on the invading and helping others with fights when GfWL gets shut down. I really hope they change it to Steamworks, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

I'm deep into DS2 at the moment on PS3, but ya, I want to come back to this at some point on PC (ya, 170+ hours into it, and I still want to come back). I'm seriously considering just buying the PS3 version to continue my DS1 shenanigans there, but I guess I'll wait and see...

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Man, after the loving misery that was tomb of giants Nito was a cakewalk.

Missed that +souls ring but honestly I'm at SL80 and don't need it. And gently caress going through that again, though it was less annoying than the crystal caves to be fair.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
I was just heading into Sens Fortress, with the trap floor plate and the two snake dudes before quitting the game and going on holiday. Before that, I fought and beat the boss in some demon lava pit shortly after beating Quelaag, and thought I'd be going deeper down, but decided against it after observing, then trying to take on a horde of demons waiting for me on the now dry lava floor (and dying, of course).

Is Sens Fortress the "recommended path" to take after beating Quelaag and then go to AL from the Fortress? I haven't tried very hard to beat the ghosts in the New Londo Ruins yet, maybe I should explore there first?

vNice, thanks.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 20, 2014

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Downs Duck posted:

I was just heading into Sens Fortress, with the trap floor plate and the two snake dudes before quitting the game and going on holiday. Before that, I fought and beat the boss in some demon lava pit shortly after beating Quelaag, and thought I'd be going deeper down, but decided against it after observing, then trying to take on a horde of demons waiting for me on the now dry lava floor (and dying, of course).

Is Sens Fortress the "recommended path" to take after beating Quelaag and then go to AL from the Fortress? I haven't tried very hard to beat the ghosts in the New Londo Ruins yet, maybe I should explore there first?

Going through Sen's Fortress is the best option since clearing Anor Londo unlocks deeper paths in areas that would be otherwise roadblocked.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Sivek posted:

Going through Sen's Fortress is the best option since clearing Anor Londo unlocks deeper paths in areas that would be otherwise roadblocked.

It also gives you a bunch of good shortcuts.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
Even better, thanks again.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Oh god I got to those archers in Anor Londo.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Try sprinting.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

More specifically, book it up the buttress and beeline for the guy on the right, once you start advancing on him the knight on the left's line of sight will be blocked by a pillar.

Once you make it to the end of the buttress and start heading directly towards him along the wall, he's going to get at least one shot off at you though. Roll under that sucker like a boss, or parry it and take some damage if you have to, just whatever you do don't try to block it with a shield: the momentum of that tree trunk will just blast you right off the ledge.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Go after the dweeb on the corner (you will probably get shot in the back but as long as you fall on the ledge, you're fine), get close to him, and parry his rear end once he pulls out his sword. If you want to get it over with, keep following the ledge around the corner and drop onto a balcony. Otherwise, chug that Estus and kill the other guy for a fabulous prize behind him.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

My biggest point of frustration in the game probably. Just know that you can easily run past all the enemies that precede them. I don't know how much time I wasted killing those demon-gargoyle things until I realized I could blow right past them. I don't think I had a sweeter feeling in this game than successful parrying and riposting the archer on the right and getting clear of that section. It was likely the one time in the game where I successful parried/riposted with my life on the line.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

More specifically, book it up the buttress and beeline for the guy on the right, once you start advancing on him the knight on the left's line of sight will be blocked by a pillar.

Once you make it to the end of the buttress and start heading directly towards him along the wall, he's going to get at least one shot off at you though. Roll under that sucker like a boss, or parry it and take some damage if you have to, just whatever you do don't try to block it with a shield: the momentum of that tree trunk will just blast you right off the ledge.

It wont necessarily push you off but you also won't make much progress towards the guy if you block every time. Rolling really is the answer.

I've never been shot in the back by the other guy while dealing with the one on the right. Pretty sure once you're up on the ledge you're safe from getting shot in the back.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Sivek posted:

My biggest point of frustration in the game probably. Just know that you can easily run past all the enemies that precede them. I don't know how much time I wasted killing those demon-gargoyle things until I realized I could blow right past them. I don't think I had a sweeter feeling in this game than successful parrying and riposting the archer on the right and getting clear of that section. It was likely the one time in the game where I successful parried/riposted with my life on the line.

If you hit the two that are in the covered platform with arrows, they try and run after you and one of them will slip off the platform because they get in each other's way.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

It wont necessarily push you off but you also won't make much progress towards the guy if you block every time. Rolling really is the answer.

I've never been shot in the back by the other guy while dealing with the one on the right. Pretty sure once you're up on the ledge you're safe from getting shot in the back.

Getting hit in the back is actually kind of a result of your first point: getting blown back by blocking the right guy's arrow won't necessarily knock you off the ledge, but if it doesn't it will actually probably blow you far enough back that the left guy's shot won't be blocked by the pillar I mentioned. Cue a javelin in the back as you try to push up again.

edit: Ugly mspaint scribble with inconsistent scale of the idea I'm talking about. Blue dots are the knights, green line is left knight's clear shot, red line his blocked shot. Copyright Cowcaster, April 19th 2014.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 20, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think I got incredibly lucky when I did that section. I somehow managed to aggro the guy on the right so he drew his sword, and then I immediately charged the guy on the left. I'm pretty sure the guy on the right ended up walking right off the edge because when I looked for him he was gone.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I think I got incredibly lucky when I did that section. I somehow managed to aggro the guy on the right so he drew his sword, and then I immediately charged the guy on the left. I'm pretty sure the guy on the right ended up walking right off the edge because when I looked for him he was gone.

There's no point bothering with the guy on the left, he can't hit you once you're up on the ledge and a bit to the right. Just rush the guy on the right and parry him or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah. They'll do that. Basically getting them to draw their sword is your victory state, since even if they don't blunder off the ledge to their death, they're ludicrously easy to parry.

• Locked thread