Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

BioMe posted:

I just wish for once we could just say "well that was dumb" when we see dumb fanservice. Instead of going on and on about it, then break down the issue and ask ourselves if there's some character development related to the nudity that justifies it, come up with a dozen examples of other works where nudity was justified, conclude anime is not like that and is dumb.

We already know.

But how else are we supposed to show we're so much better than those *ugh* GAMERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I think it's not really needed, but I don't see where it takes away from the game either. The game does a great job at Lucia's development, and this is just them making sure you get that point if you're too dense to pick it up by then. The only issue I have with it is that it blocks me from getting to one of my favorite parts of the game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
My only real problem with the scene is that Lucia's screaming didn't wake anyone else up. Seriously, you'd think at the very least Jean would be a light enough sleeper to react to that and come running.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I guess if I dislike a scene in a game it means I hate the game now.

But actually now that I think about it, I don't dislike this scene by itself. If the only scenes showing Lucia naked were the scene in that one tower and this bath scene it would be okay, since it would show the difference between how she was then and how she is now (ie didn't care if anyone saw her naked, now she cares if Hiro sees her naked). But the other scenes just muck things up.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Actually, come to think of it, if she didn't care if anyone saw her naked why even put on the robe?

Besides the fact that it was totally awesome.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Actually, come to think of it, if she didn't care if anyone saw her naked why even put on the robe?

You kind of answered your own question, but clothing isn't just for looks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Space Cardinal Lucia was the best. Her new outfit is dumb generic JRPG poo poo and I hate it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

At the very least, given the opening cutscene, it seems she can get cold just like non-space people.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is not the cold touch of the eternal winter she felt.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Also there's the fact that I doubt they could have gotten away with her walking around in the buff all game just because she didn't understand it being a problem.

Extra Koos
Nov 2, 2013

Why is it Evangelion?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Mehuyael posted:

Sorry for being older than the bare minimum to be on this website.

No what I'm saying is that this resentful childish squirming at the tamest hint of sex is not really mature, or even thoughtful. I mean if anything it's objectifying in that the girl is only the object of the desire, never the subject, still oblivious to sex except as something to learn to be ashamed of, but I didn't hear anyone saying that. Instead it was like "um is this REALLY necessary?" as if the driving force in this story were not a teenage boy trying to help the mysterious girl whom he is way horny for on her important quest

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
No one cares.

Here, let's talk about this instead.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

swamp waste posted:

No what I'm saying is that this resentful childish squirming at the tamest hint of sex is not really mature, or even thoughtful. I mean if anything it's objectifying in that the girl is only the object of the desire, never the subject, still oblivious to sex except as something to learn to be ashamed of, but I didn't hear anyone saying that. Instead it was like "um is this REALLY necessary?" as if the driving force in this story were not a teenage boy trying to help the mysterious girl whom he is way horny for on her important quest

Who gives a poo poo?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Camel Pimp posted:

No one cares.

Why DOESN'T he rock and roll all night? Get with the program, Hiro!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Brony Hunter posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

This argument goes both ways. I look and see anime cliches, shrug and move on. It's old hat by now.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

I never had a problem with the Lucia/Hiro nude scenes. They demonstrate Lucia's development as a character. I always thought of Lucia as being born full-grown like Greek Gods and Goddesses; born an adult and not knowing the things you learn as a child.

Camel Pimp posted:

No one cares.

Yes, let's. Where does this come from? I'm now picturing Ronfar singing "Beth".

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

swamp waste posted:

Maybe people didn't bring any deeper criticism because so many games from Japan have bath scenes and it's really annoying and it's also not worth repeating the criticism each time it shows up (ie all the time). When you see yet another bath scene (sometimes even with children or children-like characters) it kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Lobsterhead
Nov 1, 2010

La
La la la la
La la la la la
La la la
La la
La...

p4vl posted:

I never had a problem with the Lucia/Hiro nude scenes. They demonstrate Lucia's development as a character. I always thought of Lucia as being born full-grown like Greek Gods and Goddesses; born an adult and not knowing the things you learn as a child.

Yes, let's. Where does this come from? I'm now picturing Ronfar singing "Beth".

It's from the Lunar 2 strategy guide. It has a lot of cute little comics like that.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
It's been pointed out before, but the strategy guides for both Lunar:SSSC and Lunar 2:EB are absolutely fantastic. Comprehensive, hardback, tons of extra jokes, comics and art. They're two of the best game guides I've ever seen.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

StevenM posted:

But how else are we supposed to show we're so much better than those *ugh* GAMERS

If we don't constantly cry about how much we hate games and anime, people might look at all our games and anime and assume we like them or something.

Truly, no worse fate.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Ruby would like to express her thoughts on this current discussion:

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 28, 2014

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Zeikier saves the thread once again :allears:

Update coming tomorrow, in the meantime let's put a moratorium on the naked animes discussion. It's just a circular argument at this point and I regret bringing it up.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Geomancing posted:

It's been pointed out before, but the strategy guides for both Lunar:SSSC and Lunar 2:EB are absolutely fantastic. Comprehensive, hardback, tons of extra jokes, comics and art. They're two of the best game guides I've ever seen.

Clearly we had different guides. I had the Prima one for SSSC, and it was one of the worst strategy guides I've ever used. It was mostly hand-drawn rather than using screenshots, and was full of typos and just plain wrong information. It made me mistrust Prima for years.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Clearly we had different guides. I had the Prima one for SSSC, and it was one of the worst strategy guides I've ever used. It was mostly hand-drawn rather than using screenshots, and was full of typos and just plain wrong information. It made me mistrust Prima for years.

WD made their own guides and they were all pretty amazing.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I just purchased this game thanks to your LP. :negative:

Seriously, though, this is great. Reading the two LP's side by side for both systems is great since I wasn't one of the cool kids who had a Sega CD and my PSX days were overseas in the middle east so everything had to be imported :argh:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Episode 42: Old Man Balls

Ah, Azado. The last stop on our journey to Pentagulia!

: "After that we can make arrangements for a ship."

Huh. That's encouraging.

This seems like a nice enough little town, I dunno what that guy was talking about.

: "She left with my little sister. I'm sad, because when my sister would cry, I'd sing to calm her down."

Well, that's interesting. There's more to Lucia's past than we thought.

aw jeez

: "I'm getting real tired of people calling Lucia 'The Destroyer'."

: "And 'Grave Robber'?! Where did that come from?"

: "...actually, that one's pretty accurate."

: "Heh heh, yeah."

The sign to the right has wanted descriptions for the rest of the party.

: "My dress isn't 'gaudy'...is it?"

Something fishy goin' down in Azado

Nothing says 'My door is always open' like a moat!

she was gonna say the new guy hangs mad dong

: "The streets are tidy, and the buildings are clean..."

There's like a hundred set-ups for Gestapo jokes in this town, but I just can't think of any.

Oh, you sneaky little monkey

gimme

Haha, 'scareder' is not a word. Kids today, amirite?

Although this Goddess Statue is of the ominous Chosen variety, it still provides free healing.

: "It sounds as though there was something causing your concern, sir."

: "Excuse me, Luci, but he clearly said it was nothing. Pay attention, girl, drat."

: "..."

Hey, that's great, but what's that?!

The Safety Helmet is a step up in defense from Hiro's current helm, and gives a small boost to Luck, too! Plus, it reminds me of the Mets from Mega Man, so it's just great all around.

: "No ethnics..."

: "..."

: "Wait, what was that fourth thing you said?"

: "Hmmm?"

Mauri? Have we heard that name before? I feel like we've heard that name before...

...Hey, lookit that kid over there with the nonstandard sprite!

Foiled again.

That treasure chest confounds me. I can't squeeze past the flowerbed on the right or the boats to reach it. I could get it now, but I didn't figure it out for like 40 minutesI am above such material desires.

: "They whispered that they heard Pentagulia was sealed to protect the Goddess."

When you say Pentagulia was sealed, do you mean that they just like, closed the ports? Or did it transform into a giant church-bot and stomp away into the sea? These are the only two options.

The weapon and armor shops share a building here. There's a few upgrades to be had.

They got a little lazy naming Jean's new weapon.

Her new armor, too. Almost all the armor is a step up for someone, excluding the shield and helmet for Hiro. If you're tight on cash, maybe prioritize Ronfar's gear. Just trust me on that.

What?! But the Chosen have been so upstanding and honorable in our past dealings!

: "What is up with these people? This town is weirder than Lucia trying to be cool."

: "Currency dictates many aspects of my everyday life."

: "...sweetie, just go stand over there for a while, okay?"

: "Words!"

You're just eyeballin' people to see if they fit your description of 'harmonious'? Sounds totally foolproof and moral, keep up the good work, buddy.

Let's hit up the local tavern before we visit the High Priest.

: "He comes in here pretending to be a customer, but I know he's just spying on us. How do I know?"

That doesn't necessarily mean he's taking them to be brainwashed in a dark chapel. Maybe he's just into giving handies in the alley, you ever think of that, Judgey-pants?

: "You know, it wasn't always this way. Before them Chosen folks took an interest...well, let's just say it was different then... real different."

Haha, we're leaving.

Let's head over to the local shrine and see what's up.

YAWN

LET'S GO

I am beginning to suspect that something is amiss in Azado.

Goddamn! If you're gonna pimp out your church, might as well go BIG!

: "It IS amazing...but..."

: "Strong magical power... This is Althena's power..."

:devil:

: "Azado famously hates all statues, big and small!"

There's something a little off-putting about how uniform all these Chosen shrines are.

I dunno, Tommy, it sounds like your friend is a filthy little sinner.

You mean the Goddess that takes actual physical form, can talk to people directly, rules over literal giant flying dragons, and is such a major player in Lunar's affairs that her existence is a straight up historical fact?

No, I don't believe she exists.

: "Oh, well, I'm--"

: "Our business isn't with you, buster!"

: "And, we don't appreciate your mega-grating attitude! We've come to meet with the high priest of Azado."

: "Huh? Well, you must not be from around here."

: "That's not the name of the high priest. Ronfar...say something already!"

I chose to believe the E in that name is silent. I need this.

: "I should have known! It IS you, isn't it, Ronfar?"

: "In the flesh, my underachieving acquaintance. Looks like you've been busy while I was away."

: "Y...yes. But it's partly thanks to you, old buddy."

: "Well, I always did have a soft spot for the runt of the litter. But look at you now. You're not the runt I knew. But then, I suppose even runts have to grow up, sometime."

: "Well, despite the ribbing you always dish out, I'll always be grateful to you, Ronfar. If you hadn't protected me when the others teased, I don't know what... Well, that's all water under the bridge now."

: "Did your friends know that you were the teacher's pet in school? Yes. Ronfar here was the one we all expected to be the first High Priest."

Yeah, Jamil. Where's old man balls?

: "I'm sorry, Ronfar. I wasn't joking. Priest Balse was...removed. He's not here..."

: "Well, his house in town has a bright red roof...so it is easy to find. But I would not speak to him if I were in your shoes, old friend. It might not be good for your long-term health. Just a bit of friendly for you to take or leave..."

: "Did that little weasel just threaten you?"

: "Don't worry about it. Something's fucky in Az-town, and I'm gonna find Balse."

: "...is no one else hearing this?"

There's that name again. I'm sure it'll come to me sooner or later.

Man, this dude is lucky we have no reason to want to go back there right now, or he'd get a face full of tiny pink Wolverine.

Turns out the red roof we're looking for belongs to the house that kid was guarding.

: "Well, I'll be a monkey's mamma! You ARE little Porom after all! You sure have grown, kiddo! But I guess that's the way things work."

: "Uncle...Ron...far? I...I'm sorry...I don't remember you. Are you a friend of Father's?"

: "Well, you were a pretty young tike when I was here last. It's no big surprise that ya don't remember ol' Ronfar."

dang

: "But we'll get to that later. For now, I have a favor to ask of you, my friend."

: "Yes, yes. There's always time for a favor for a friend. But let's get out of the cold. My bones aren't what they were in the old days. Come in. Come in!"

: "But, to Pentagulia...? I really do wish to aid you, but I've been..."

: "I thought I knew what way was up here, but things have been turned upside-down. First that creepy statue is erected. Then you're removed as High Priest. What's next?"

: "Oooh, I love those stories!"

: "There are unfriendly ears about, and they seem to hear even the faintest whispers."

: "What news could you have that is so difficult to impart to me?"

: "Ronfar, it is difficult news. You see...all the problems in Azado began exactly one year ago..."

Oh, yeah, that's where I'd heard that name before. Ronnie's traumatic flashback!

: "Lady Mauri speaks long and often of swearing obedience to The Chosen. She taught that those who didn't follow The Chosen would burn in holy fire. But her teachings fell on deaf ears at first, because Azado is a free city with gentle people. Nobody believed that they transgressed the true teachings of Althena. For the teachings of The Chosen and those of Althena were supposed to be the same."

: "However, soon our fair city was consumed by the fire of furious anger. Mauri's prophecy had come true, and for reasons no one could fully understand."

: "While the priests lectured that the gods' punishment was meted out because we lacked faith...they promoted new doctrines that fed on the fear and uncertainty of the masses. It was less than three days before I was ousted as High Priest."

: "...b...but Mauri was always such a kind, gentle...what's happened to her?!"

: "Say, Ronfar, did you see the big flames in the palm of the Goddess statue? That is said to be the flame of the Red Dragon. It is a fire that is supposed to consume the enemies of The Chosen. It has come to be known as the symbol of Lady Mauri's anger lately, though."

Suddenly, the door swings open!

: "What, it's Porom? Are you going to go play again?"

: "Y...yes..."

Haha, yeah man. Good thing that was just a silly coincidence and will never come up again.

: "Well, according to the teachings of The Chosen, it is forbidden to be out after dark. They say that evil will snatch your soul."

We ain't afraid of no ghosts.

: "Yes, yes! That's a beautiful idea."

: "Mmmmm...yes. I'm afraid that a boat may be the only way to get into Pentagulia now."

: "I'm glad you've accepted my hospitality so generously. Rest here, and think of my home as yours."

: "Thanks again, Balse. You know what they say about a friend in need..."

Alright, gang, let's hit the hay and rest up for our boat heist. Nothing will go wrong!

Next Time

Something goes wrong

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Crowetron posted:

: "What is up with these people? This town is weirder than Lucia trying to be cool."

: "Currency dictates many aspects of my everyday life."

: "...sweetie, just go stand over there for a while, okay?"

: "Words!"

This is totally both hilarious and adorable. Never change, Lucia.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 30, 2014

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I approve of your portrait choice for Balls and Porom.

So, Azado is very different in this version. In the original, something is still amiss in Azado, but it's just monster attacks, and the Chosen are selling overpriced beads that supposedly protect against the attacks. There's no statue, no Balse or Porom. Actually, you aren't even trying to get on a boat. You're trying to get to a teleporter. They added a lot in the remake.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Huh. I never knew about those Wanted posters.

This part of the game is always one I look forward to. It's a huge leap for one of the longer arcs and poo poo gets real again. As much as I love the silliness in this game, the serious parts tend to be my favorite. They're way better than the ones in SSSC.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If you are going to grind for many levels, Azado is the first leveling spot worth the effort.

I call him Balzy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Crowetron posted:

Next Time

Something goes wrong

Hmm. I think I might see the problem here.

That tree on the left is terrible landscaping, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So I decided to play a little again this morning (yay insomnia!) and I noticed that in the scene where Jean beats the poo poo out of Ronfar and Hiro at the carnival, they actually change her sprite to have angry eyes. Whoa.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Bufuman posted:

This is totally both hilarious and adorable. Never change, Lucia.

A picture or comic showing Lucia trying to be hip and cool would be perfect.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

Since Lucia came from the Blue Star and was in some sort of suspended animation, does that mean that everyone that once lived on the Blue Star talked/emoted/interacted with others the way she does? I don't expect an answer, I just like thinking about a planet full of Lucias. No wonder it didn't work out.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I think the answer to that is a spoiler. Or actually I don't remember what has and hasn't been revealed in the plot yet, but there is an answer, and it's not particularly interesting regardless.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 2, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Just going by the intro the place looked kinda dead to me, so I figured she's either a survivor who's been raised by computers or some kind of artificial being.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Just going by the intro the place looked kinda dead to me, so I figured she's either a survivor who's been raised by computers or some kind of artificial being.

It's dead because Althena destroyed the previous civilization so that the Blue Star would be recreated and habitable. Basically, Nuke it from Orbit.

I always had Lucia pegged as Althena's backup plan in case something like the events of LSSC happened and the Goddess was absent but needed. She's like a lesser deity; not strong enough to go against Althena, yet she's powerful enough to use Althena's magic and command the dragons (well, she didn't hesitate to attempt to use God-tier magic at the base of the Blue Spire and she seemed very surprised when her spell shat the bed). It's probably hard to develop social skills when people find out you can make dragons do stuff and also kill everyone for The Greater Good.

Before the Goddess gave up her powers, Lucia was probably strong enough to make Magic Emperor Ghaleon eat those loving pixies. Just sayin'.

If WD did Lunar 1 & 2 in this day and age, I'd like to think a lot of the humorous character asides and NPC's would sound more like what Crowetron is writing.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I think I finally figured out the grave robber thing. Hiro's basically Indiana Jones Jr. at the start of the game, which probably means he's seen his share of pyramid/tombs (and taken things from them).

It just comes out of nowhere, so it's hard to make the connection. Or maybe it was obvious to everyone else and I'm just a dum-dum :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

p4vl posted:

If WD did Lunar 1 & 2 in this day and age, I'd like to think a lot of the humorous character asides and NPC's would sound more like what Crowetron is writing.
One need only look to the writing in games like FFXIII-2 to be disavowed of this notion. :sigh: RIP Working Designs.

Edit: Oh I didn't see the WD in there. But a company like Working Designs really couldn't exist in a translation climate like this one, where even a polarizing figure like Alex O. Smith is far and away better than most of the boring or actively awful tripe we get in JRPGs.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 4, 2014

• Locked thread