Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Honestly I mean why even play the regular season, just go off the preseason AP and skip right to the championship. USC vs Notre Dame

Nah man I want upsets, I just don't feel like "the little guy can't play too" is really that big of a deal when the system never let them in before either. That part hasn't really changed, no non BCS conference team made it to the title game. If anything their chances should be better.

I'd just rather see more Duke pulling shocking upsets than Appy State I guess. There are plenty of underdogs to account for inside those conferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

See you have it exactly backwards, it's cute when Duke Football gets to a january 1st bowl, but if they actually won a championship it would be the world's worst thing in recorded human history

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

See you have it exactly backwards, it's cute when Duke Football gets to a january 1st bowl, but if they actually won a championship it would be the world's worst thing in recorded human history

On this topic I suppose we do agree. It was cute the one time, should it become the standard that they aren't awful I just don't know what I'd do with myself.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

It would have been so amazing if they had upset FSU and the championship was just an Iron Bowl rematch.

So amazing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

This is why old punching bags like North Texas or young upstarts like UTSA or South Alabama being good would be the best thing to happen to college football

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Raku posted:

It would have been so amazing if they had upset FSU and the championship was just an Iron Bowl rematch.

So amazing.

But then we wouldn't have had the 2014 Sugar Bowl.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Alouicious posted:

This is why old punching bags like North Texas or young upstarts like UTSA or South Alabama being good would be the best thing to happen to college football

UAB :(

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Alouicious posted:

They get two years of 'yaay' before they get to be annoying and we start rooting against them again: see, e.g., Boise State, Baylor, South Florida

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I actually thought of adding UAB to my original post but I got sad

Abugadu posted:

They get two years of 'yaay' before they get to be annoying and we start rooting against them again: see, e.g., Boise State, Baylor, South Florida

Boise State was basically Big XII talent housing the WAC year-in-year-out, Baylor still owns and South Florida well lol South Florida

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Abugadu posted:

No one hates Baylor.

Check that everyone hates Baylor even if they don't know it, but no one hates them because of their awesome all offense all the time for both teams system.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

No one hates Baylor.

Check that everyone hates Baylor even if they don't know it, but no one hates them because of their awesome all offense all the time for both teams system.

Houston fans hate Baylor

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
As I sit here preparing for finals, I can't help but think how much I'd love for the draft to have already been over. :(

Grittybeard posted:

No one hates Baylor.

Baylor I'm cool with, but the fans are a bit much at times (See: John McCalin, Texans fans endlessly braying for Bryce Petty moreso because he's a winning Texas QB than anything else).

I don't understand any hate for LSU outside of rivalries.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
All I know about College Football is that I currently attend Eastern Michigan University and uhhhhhh

I did get to watch Michigan play Illinois once in a game that ended up going to 67-65 in triple ovetime though which was pretty rad.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

All I know about College Football is that I currently attend Eastern Michigan University and uhhhhhh

I did get to watch Michigan play Illinois once in a game that ended up going to 67-65 in triple ovetime though which was pretty rad.

Okay that is straight unfortunate

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Grittybeard posted:

Either someone who works for the NFL is one cruel motherfucker or there are some insane GMs around. Or both.

It is actually advantageous to take a QB in the 1st due to the 5th year team option, so if a team in the early 2nd is targeting Garoppolo or another QB, then it could be worthwhile for them to trade up into the late 1st, get the QB that they want and then get that additional cost controlled year if he pans out. If there isn't a run on QBs in the top 10, then I fully expect to see a few teams try to move into the end of the 1st round to select a passer.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Watch the Seahawks squeeze a 4th out of the Texans to move up from 33 to 32 for that reason

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Raku posted:

College football is amazing because you get games like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg8GjsA9b1g

Edit: ugh that didn't have nearly enough of the horrible plays in that game, try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyzCw6y1yYU

I was at this game and it owned. Most hopeful I felt all season tbh.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Alouicious posted:

Boise State was basically Big XII talent housing the WAC year-in-year-out, Baylor still owns and South Florida well lol South Florida

I remember for the longest time, they were just a real good WAC team getting treated like a big 12 team. They'd go undefeated with huge win margins and be seeded top 5 all year long while people groaned that they wouldn't get a national championship bid, and then they'd get to their bowl game and get clowned by 17 ranked 7-3 Tennessee. It was great. Then the next season people would be like yeah they lost their bowl game, but on the other hand they're 8-0 right now...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Volkerball posted:

I remember for the longest time, they were just a real good WAC team getting treated like a big 12 team. They'd go undefeated with huge win margins and be seeded top 5 all year long while people groaned that they wouldn't get a national championship bid, and then they'd get to their bowl game and get clowned by 17 ranked 7-3 Tennessee. It was great. Then the next season people would be like yeah they lost their bowl game, but on the other hand they're 8-0 right now...

Nope, their only double digit loss (in the last 15 years) was to Oregon state this year.

And they sucked this year.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nope, their only double digit loss (in the last 15 years) was to Oregon state this year.

And they sucked this year.

I think I'm recalling 2006-2008. Not nearly as bad as I thought, but lol ECU.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Cody Lattimer is not actually going in the first round, right? People are just lying to me because lying is fun and they're empty inside. There could be no other reason for this.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Cody Lattimer is not actually going in the first round, right? People are just lying to me because lying is fun and they're empty inside. There could be no other reason for this.

He's been mocked to the Chiefs by McShay and it's my number one fear right now.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Volkerball posted:

I think I'm recalling 2006-2008. Not nearly as bad as I thought, but lol ECU.

'07 is the year they didn't even win the WAC. For whatever reason, I feel like college mid-majors as a whole get Hawaii's 31-point blowout by Georgia that year held against them.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

How wacky:

NBA it up
The rumor (TWITTER) is the Jags moving up for Clowney and the Texans taking Khalil Mack.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Alouicious posted:

I actually thought of adding UAB to my original post but I got sad

I literally don't know anyone who hates Baylor. It's one of the more loved schools in Texas.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Ozu posted:

The rumor (TWITTER) is the Jags moving up for Clowney and the Texans taking Khalil Mack.

Do division rivals ever do draft day trades with one another? If your opponent liked a deal enough to take it wouldn't that generally mean it's not in your interest to do.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fall to 5 Teddy.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Honestly I mean why even play the regular season, just go off the preseason AP and skip right to the championship. USC vs Notre Dame

I see zero problems with this plan

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Do division rivals ever do draft day trades with one another? If your opponent liked a deal enough to take it wouldn't that generally mean it's not in your interest to do.

How soon we forget Kam Wimbley

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rap posted:

well i was trying to

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rap posted:

Why would you remind anyone of this?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

John Brown posted:

I literally don't know anyone who hates Baylor. It's one of the more loved schools in Texas.

I dislike Baylor for personal reasons and their fans were the most annoying the year A&M left the Big 12, but A&M is hated by everyone so it evens out. Waco is the worst though.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
The Ravens switched spots with the Browns (pick 12/pick 13) so the Ravens could take Haloti Ngata the pick before the Browns took Wimbley.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Why did that happen? Did the Browns leverage Ngata for a pick or something?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Cosell's latest article on Bridgewater and Bortles.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/blake-bortles--teddy-bridgewater-raising-concern-over-basic-skills-191421367-nfl.html

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

I dislike Baylor for personal reasons and their fans were the most annoying the year A&M left the Big 12, but A&M is hated by everyone so it evens out. Waco is the worst though.

When I stumbled upon a video about the cult-like culture at A&M I was truly at a loss for words. I also had a few coworkers who went there and they believe that they're gods. What is that school doing to kids?

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

John Brown posted:

When I stumbled upon a video about the cult-like culture at A&M I was truly at a loss for words. I also had a few coworkers who went there and they believe that they're gods. What is that school doing to kids?

We could ask the same of Penn State.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Parmesan Basil posted:

We could ask the same of Penn State.

Answer in both cases is grabbing their balls and squeezing them really hard.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I like how he gives Bridgewater more praise than Bortles but then says Bortles will go higher, seemingly only because of his frame. It really is the stereotypical draft process at work. His whole thing about the 2013 season means I guess that he AGREES that it is the stereotypical draft process at work, though.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I like how he gives Bridgewater more praise than Bortles but then says Bortles will go higher, seemingly only because of his frame. It really is the stereotypical draft process at work. His whole thing about the 2013 season means I guess that he AGREES that it is the stereotypical draft process at work, though.

It is a truism that you can't teach size but it is also literally a true fact

• Locked thread