Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

If I was packing something to don in case my otherwise sunny ride gets a surprise downpour, I would get Frogg Toggs. If I was getting something for commuting rain or shine, I would get branded Gore-Tex gear and think hard about getting an Aerostich.

This is repeating myself but I've got a full GoreTex outfit and have ridden for hours on end in near-freezing rain and remained warm and dry, if not particularly happy. If you balk at the prices (this is reasonable) look in the ADVRider flea market for used stuff, it's how I got my $1000+ suit for about $375.

Holy poo poo this Aerostitch stuff looks amazing. I should have looked at it earlier but I must have glanced over it. They really tout themselves as the best of the best for textiles and they seem to have the reviews to back it up. I was planning on spending up to a grand on gear anyway, because if I'm going to do this I really want to wear the best that I can get to protect myself, but I will definitely troll the used stuff. Thanks!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA There are waaay too many choices for this stuff.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
There's also Tiez and for full-on customizing there's Motoport

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Just putting it forward that, if you're a bigger guy, I'm still willing to sell my Teiz Lombard suit at 1/3 price.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Where did you see this? My order is still pending.
You still pending? My order is still In Progress/On Order, but I have a feeling it might forever stay that way.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Just putting it forward that, if you're a bigger guy, I'm still willing to sell my Teiz Lombard suit at 1/3 price.

How big is "bigger"? I'm 6'4" and 260lbs, built pretty heavy around the shoulders and chest. That is an extremely generous offer.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

PM'd.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Gillingham posted:

You still pending? My order is still In Progress/On Order, but I have a feeling it might forever stay that way.

I thought I posted on here but they ended up canceling it with no notice. Until I got onto the helpline they didn't even tell me it was their mistake and that they were gonna offer 10% off my next order.

I was hoping they'd honor their price mistake but I wasn't so lucky haha. Oh well, good on them for catching it. A lot of other sites probably would have just let orders hang in limbo forever.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

PadreScout posted:

I used to have a set of Frog Toggs I rode in. Worked fine. Your hands will probably get wet, I've never owned a pair of gloves that took rain worth a drat.

I rode from Connecticut to Gettysburg PA in driving rain wearing Spidi H2Out gloves and my hands stayed dry. They were a little sweaty, but not at all soaked.

My rain gear consists of crappy pvc overgear. I generally don't bother with it unless I'm on a long trip.

I do need to get a set of Frogg Toggs.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Speaking of those Teiz suits, how are they for wearing over other clothes? I basically only wear jeans and a polo shirt to work, and if there's enough room, it looks like the Lombard is what I want in my price range.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Got my Firstgear Kathmandu jacket last night, rode in the pouring rain today. Trip report results: I was bone dry and warm when I got to work and home (it's a 30 mile commute each way).

Seems like this might be a good mid-level (price-wise) option for folks who commute or ride a lot in rainy situations.

On that note, I have a HUGE Frogg Toggz jacket that I'll ship to someone for cheap if you'd like it. I think it's like a 2XL because the day I bought it I was soaked to the bone, cold, and mad, and that was the only size they had left. This thing will fit a yeti.

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.

Beach Bum posted:

I was planning on spending up to a grand on gear anyway, because if I'm going to do this I really want to wear the best that I can get to protect myself, but I will definitely troll the used stuff. Thanks!

Lol, crazy americans. a 1k budget for the better stuff? yep, that covers my helmet and a pair of gloves here in AU. I think my touring gear is in the 3 to 4 grand range all up.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

devians posted:

Lol, crazy americans. a 1k budget for the better stuff? yep, that covers my helmet and a pair of gloves here in AU. I think my touring gear is in the 3 to 4 grand range all up.

It's not quite that bad in AU, my helmet a Shark S700 was $300, gloves are Dainese um, somethings, they've got Patent Pending instead of their model name on them, so not sure, they were $140 though, boots are SMX-5s and they were $150, jacket is a MotoDry "Assen" which was roughly $250, and a pair of matching pants was $180, all up for full gear that's only $1,020 and it's all pretty drat good quality stuff. I've also got a leather 2pcs which I can't remember the brand of but it's also good quality which was $550 or so all up and a 1pcs which isn't too bad which was $450 custom tailored. Most of my stuff I've brought from the local shops, just have to say "look, I can get this online/in capital city for $xx amount, can you get close to/match it?" Usually they can. I've also got a spare helmet (HJC) which was about $120 which meets AUS/NZ standards and a spare pair of gloves which I believe I picked up for $30 because they'd been sitting there for ages.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

devians posted:

Is your gear nothing but high end gore-tex Rukka stuff and an Arai Corsair?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

devians posted:

In AU, well duh, your minimum wage is like 500 bucks an hour. A video game costs as much as a small house in America. 4 grand probably buys you a second hand Joe Rocket jacket and a pink bicycle helmet from Toys R Us.

It is important to have good gear though, totally on-board with you on that one.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.

Lynza posted:

On that note, I have a HUGE Frogg Toggz jacket that I'll ship to someone for cheap if you'd like it. I think it's like a 2XL because the day I bought it I was soaked to the bone, cold, and mad, and that was the only size they had left. This thing will fit a yeti.

Very much interested in this, as I'm pretty yeti-ish and use my scooter as my daily commuter. And it rains a lot in Milwaukee in spring.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
If you want top shelf stuff in Aus it definitely does cost. I think my breakdown was something like:

Arai Profile $950
Dainese leather jacket and pants ~$1000
A* GP Pro (or plus, can't remember now) gloves ~$200
Sidi Vertigo boots $500

This was all the stuff that fit me best, being a skinny, narrow-footed long oval-headed person. As it is I think next boot purchase will need to be women's boots, because the ones I have are still too big - I wear thick socks and have sports foam inner soles in them, and wear orthotics. Any smaller size was too short.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
God damnit. My bike fell over a few weeks ago and broke the end nub off my clutch lever, and I just saw that the broken end has a little sharp edge that's worn through the leather on the tip of the ring finger of my nice Rev'It Phantom GTX gloves. :mad:

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Here4DaGangBang posted:

If you want top shelf stuff in Aus it definitely does cost. I think my breakdown was something like:

Arai Profile $950
Sidi Vertigo boots $500

This was all the stuff that fit me best, being a skinny, narrow-footed long oval-headed person. As it is I think next boot purchase will need to be women's boots, because the ones I have are still too big - I wear thick socks and have sports foam inner soles in them, and wear orthotics. Any smaller size was too short.

I think being skinny makes shopping for second hand leathers on craigslist and gumtree, etc, a breeze. There's always someone that's hit middle-aged spread and needs to offload their sexy flanders race suit. Otherwise, though, yeah, Australian prices - especially for nice helmets - can suck it.

devians
Sep 25, 2007
Atheism is a non-prophet organisation.

PadreScout posted:

In AU, well duh, your minimum wage is like 500 bucks an hour. A video game costs as much as a small house in America. 4 grand probably buys you a second hand Joe Rocket jacket and a pink bicycle helmet from Toys R Us.

It is important to have good gear though, totally on-board with you on that one.

Haha, I believe our purchasing power is roughly equivalent when you talk about commodities, ie hours worked to buy GTA V.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Arai Profile $950
Sidi Vertigo boots $500

I'm currently rolling with:

Arai XD4 $700
(Various pinlocks and padding etc, $200)
Klim Badlands Pro $1000
Hornee Kevlar Jeans $250
Dianese Jericho Gloves $200 (I use cheapie Dririder $80 lovely gloves in the summer)
Puma Brutale Boots $350

Plus a whole pile of non protective stuff like pinlocks, helmet mods, sena headsets etc.

My kingdom for some gloves that can handle protracted rain. When you're on day 3 of rain on tour and its a 10 minute ordeal to get your hands into those jericho's it's a special kind of frustration. Need to find something thats goretexy without all the soft thermal padding, maybe even something thats a bit slick internally.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

God damnit. My bike fell over a few weeks ago and broke the end nub off my clutch lever, and I just saw that the broken end has a little sharp edge that's worn through the leather on the tip of the ring finger of my nice Rev'It Phantom GTX gloves. :mad:

you know what to do, hipster bike videos have trained you for this moment

bust out the angle grinders

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

For gloves that pricy I'd consider contacting Rev'It and seeing if repair is an option.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dunno who the hell roadgear.com is or how they got my email, but I just got a 25% off your entire order coupon from them.

Code is: APR25L7
Website is: https://www.roadgear.com

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.
Does anyone have experience with adding a Sena headset to an MX helmet? I have heard great reviews of them, and their noise canceling abilities, but I'm not sure if a true full face is necessary to make them work well enough.

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
I just bought my first helmet, hurray!
I notice that my normal breathing fogs up the visor pretty quickly when I'm stationary / off the bike. Is this normal, or should I buy some of that anti-fog 'Spit' goop?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

axia posted:

Does anyone have experience with adding a Sena headset to an MX helmet? I have heard great reviews of them, and their noise canceling abilities, but I'm not sure if a true full face is necessary to make them work well enough.

I run one on my AFX FX-39 and the only issue is the shape of the helmet makes it difficult to clip the thing onto the thing...... You know. You really have to press it to get it to click into it's cradle.

axia
Nov 15, 2005

The future is now.

SaNChEzZ posted:

I run one on my AFX FX-39 and the only issue is the shape of the helmet makes it difficult to clip the thing onto the thing...... You know. You really have to press it to get it to click into it's cradle.

Any noise complaints? Do you use it for intercom purposes or for phone calls/music?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Jolarix posted:

I notice that my normal breathing fogs up the visor pretty quickly when I'm stationary / off the bike. Is this normal, or should I buy some of that anti-fog 'Spit' goop?

Somewhat normal. Try to breathe in and out through your nose, and lightly, when you're stopped.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Jolarix posted:

Open the visor

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

axia posted:

Any noise complaints? Do you use it for intercom purposes or for phone calls/music?

Both, and I ride with the visor open as much as I can because I'm a sweaty fat. Never get any complaints when I'm intercomming or phone calling.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I have found that none of the chemical liquids, sprays, etc. work for poo poo for fog in a visor. On the other hand, if you can get a pinlock visor (or if your helmet has it already), get the ~$10 pinlock lens. It's the tits.

On the other hand, if you wear glasses (like I do), you might consider the Foggy, which is basically a neoprene mask with a nose clip that vents your breathing air down and out of your helmet so it doesn't fog you up. It would work best for someone with a full-face, non-modular helmet in my experience. I use a modular helmet, and so putting the thing in (it velcros) is sometimes a PITA because I'm lifting the chin bar.

http://respro.com/store/product/foggy-mask

The Foggy can also be bought through Amazon, I think. It still ships from Jolly Olde England, though, so it takes a week or so to arrive. It worked very well for me during the winter when it was cold as hell. Kept my glasses from fogging up as long as it was seated tight to my cheeks and nose.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I got my SMH-10R and RAM mount today and had a few hours after work to mount it all up and test it out. It all works wonderfully. I went with the clutch/brake bracket mount for the RAM, and while my phone doesn't have a lot of range of movement due to clearance issues, I'm still tickled pink with it. I didn't want to use the triple stem mount so that in the future if I'm able to find a steering stabilizer on the cheap I'll have room to still use the RAM mount.

The Sena was louder than I expected. I ended up having to put my phone volume on 50%, and I am still 2-3 clicks under full volume on the Sena itself at interstate speeds. I'm happy I went with the 10R for its tiny as gently caress footprint. You can't tell its there at all. Ripping the helmet off like normal anytime I want is a pleasant change of pace considering I used a wired setup before.

I'm going to pick up some conductive thread and try my hand at sewing small patches onto the tips of the fingers on my gloves.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Speaking of SMH10s, I'm having trouble mounting mine.

I just got an Arai Signet Q and it had like a .. curtain? At the base of the helmet, guess it prevents air/noise getting up into the helmet. The problem is the mount grabs down there. I tried pulling a little out, but it has some plastic slot that clicks into the helmet.

You guys just completely remove that curtain or is there a trick to it?

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Jolarix posted:

Pretty normal, first thing I do at a stop/get off is put the visor up, even if it's just a bit.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

PadreScout posted:

Speaking of SMH10s, I'm having trouble mounting mine.

I just got an Arai Signet Q and it had like a .. curtain? At the base of the helmet, guess it prevents air/noise getting up into the helmet. The problem is the mount grabs down there. I tried pulling a little out, but it has some plastic slot that clicks into the helmet.

You guys just completely remove that curtain or is there a trick to it?

It's a chin curtain you're talking about, right?
I've got a shoei qwest, and I run the chin curtain in the winter. I have my SMH10 mounted such that the microphone boom tucks up above the curtain, and the microphone is right in front of my mouth.

I'm looking at pictures of your helmet, and I don't know.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 26, 2014

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

It's a chin curtain you're talking about, right?
I've got a shoei qwest, and I run the chin curtain in the winter. I have my SMH10 mounted such that the microphone boom tucks up above the curtain, and the microphone is right in front of my mouth.

I'm looking at pictures of your helmet, and I don't know.

I took some pictures:

Underside of helmet, it's that curtain, starts just in front of your ears and goes all around back of helmet, to supliment the chin curtain.

And has this plastic rail that slots into shell of helmet, so it doesn't look like I can snake the mount in between the helmet shell and the curtain:

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It loosens up a bit over time. When I first got my rxq I had to tug down at the chin spoiler with one hand and press up on my forehead with the other, now all I need to do is tug down.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd slightly trim the rail to fit the mount, although you can probably get away with just bending it out of the way.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

PadreScout posted:

I took some pictures:

Underside of helmet, it's that curtain, starts just in front of your ears and goes all around back of helmet, to supliment the chin curtain.

And has this plastic rail that slots into shell of helmet, so it doesn't look like I can snake the mount in between the helmet shell and the curtain:

That looks a lot like my sevenzeroseven helmet. I just put the Sena mount on the side of it and was able to slide the plastic curtain back into place around it. I thought all helmets were made like that. :shrug:

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I went out and tested my new lid and gloves.

The Held gloves are nice. The thumbs are a bit tight, so it's a little uncomfortable to reach my thumb over for turn signals and such, and the material of the palms seems thin, which I know it's kangaroo and super safe and all that, but the thickness is different, so it's something to get used to. All in all, they're nice.

The Arai helmet. I'm actually not real sure I like that thing. First off, gently caress D-rings for securing the helmet. The ratching thing Nolan have and the little seatbelt buckle my Roof has are both far superior. The Arai has poo poo peripheral vision and up and down vision, I cannot glance down to see my instruments and I don't like that. It's LOUD AS gently caress. Seriously, holy poo poo it is loud. However, it has loving bad-rear end airflow. I am just drat impressed with how cool it keeps my head. It had fantastic aerodynamics as well, I got up on the highway and aired the bike out a bit and I experienced zero buffeting. Even when I shoulder check for lane changes I don't get the pushing on my head I usually get with my Roof, so that's endeared the helmet to me somewhat.

All in all, the helmet is a mixed bag, I'd get it a .... 6 out of 10. Fits my head good, good quality materials, good air-flow, good aero, poo poo vision, poo poo sound insulation, poo poo D-ring chin-strap. Oh an the cheekpads push my cheeks in like a reverse chipmunk so when i open my mouth I nearly bite my the insides of my cheeks when I close it again. I figure I can get thinner pads to fix that. That's now on my list of poo poo to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
That's an awful pricy 6 of 10.

Your cheekpads don't need replacement, they just need to break in a little, and you get used to the D-rings in a hurry. (Helps to put your helmet on before your gloves.) Is it still loud if you close the vents?