Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarence
May 3, 2012

Atomizer posted:

No offense, and being completely serious here, I have to say if I had a connection with a latency of ~700 ms I would not play games online. In all honesty you cannot play WoT with a connection that bad. Do you literally have no other ISP options? I get bitchy when my ping spikes to 300-500....
It's a choice of 20-25MB satellite or 0.5 "broadband" :airquote: That's it. (Until the local community broadband scheme gets off the ground which should have 6-8 with a reasonable ping, but that's been "coming soon" for over a year now).

Some games react better than others; LOTRO and SWTOR work okay PVE. Eve is okay(and I come back to it every so often but cannot stick at it).
FPSs are a no-go, War Thunder is too fast moving.

700 ms is okay(well, obviously it's not, but it can be lived with) as long as it's taken into account. Brawling wouldn't work except with autoaim. Movement can be got used to. Players tend to sit still to shoot for multiple shots so the delay is irrelevant then. Just occasionally a high deflection shot will pay off on a fast moving enemy which feels really good.

I've even managed top scorer a few times - and I'm a crap player (48%) so just how bad are some others!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
This is beautiful, and reminds me: Those of you who, like me, have been using Gnomefather's sound mods for a long time, and just installed the new versions for 9.0 right away: Uninstall the gun sounds for a while, at least until you hear the current vanilla sound effect for ammo rack explosion. It'll really put some hair on your chest. And even the normal tank destruction sound is hefty as gently caress.

I mean, at least I had this memory of the gun sound mod also replacing tank destruction sounds. Now that I think of it I can't remember for sure.

But anyways, that rack explosion effect really is amazing. There's even screen shake for tanks in the vicinity, which I found out when my teammate IS-3 was racked like 20 meters from me.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 23, 2014

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, this thing is pretty fun with a camo crew, nets, paint, etc.

EDIT: Even though I am terrible, the other team is worse, so have a replay. http://wotreplays.com/site/799138#cliff-elmnt80-su-85i

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 23, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Clarence posted:

It's a choice of 20-25MB satellite or 0.5 "broadband" :airquote: That's it. (Until the local community broadband scheme gets off the ground which should have 6-8 with a reasonable ping, but that's been "coming soon" for over a year now).

Some games react better than others; LOTRO and SWTOR work okay PVE. Eve is okay(and I come back to it every so often but cannot stick at it).
FPSs are a no-go, War Thunder is too fast moving.

700 ms is okay(well, obviously it's not, but it can be lived with) as long as it's taken into account. Brawling wouldn't work except with autoaim. Movement can be got used to. Players tend to sit still to shoot for multiple shots so the delay is irrelevant then. Just occasionally a high deflection shot will pay off on a fast moving enemy which feels really good.

I've even managed top scorer a few times - and I'm a crap player (48%) so just how bad are some others!?

I remember playing TFC on dial-up. 750ms was a *good* ping for me then. Get off my lawn! :argh:

Clarence
May 3, 2012

XVM - what's the setting to change the font of the incoming damage messages (they are appearing near the bottom left) - it's all just squares at the moment. And is it something that can be set in the online configuration editor?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Nordick posted:

This is beautiful, and reminds me: Those of you who who, like me, have been using Gnomefather's sound mods for a long time, and just installed the new versions for 9.0 right away: Uninstall the gun sounds for a while, at least until you hear the current vanilla sound effect for ammo rack explosion. It'll really put some hair on your chest.

I pulled off my first ammo racking in the current version while cavalry charging in an A-43. 76mm snapshot in the side of a T-34-1 and BOOM. I was so taken aback that I nearly drove into an enemy IS-3.

Clarence posted:

XVM - what's the setting to change the font of the incoming damage messages (they are appearing near the bottom left) - it's all just squares at the moment. And is it something that can be set in the online configuration editor?

you don't have the fooooooonts

e: Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't read anything except the "squares" bit. I'm afraid I don't know.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 23, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Motherfuckers. Its like pubbies are throwing every game i get in my special snowflake tank. Its winrate is gonna be awful.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Jesus. Everyone is stupid today. Or AFK.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Clarence posted:

I use notepad++ editor to change the settings on xvm since its quicker and easier for me to.

go to world_of_tanks\res_mod\xvm\configs\(name of config)\hitlog.xc

theres a bunch of "font" things in there they should change something, I haven't tested it out because I just got what I have working.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Missing Name posted:

Jesus. Everyone is stupid today. Or AFK.

Last night was the same. I was 1 and 8, a large majority of these matches were not able to be won.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

dogstile posted:

I'm not sure I agree. T4 tanks definitely get loving shafted (still). T7 feels ok, T8 feels like death when going up against T10's.

There are some T4 tanks I feel to be comfortable in being able carrying a T6 game. PzIII, VK 20.01, M8A1, probably the Ke-Ho too. Map does factor in somewhat but those are all pretty zippy little tanks with great guns.

Subyng posted:

On a totally unrelated note, I love how people complain about how the XVM chance-to-win prediction is always "wrong" because they lost a 80% chance-to-win match or won a 20% one. Unless it says you will 100% win and you lose or 100% lose and you win, the prediction isn't "wrong". In fact, it tells you absolutely nothing at all, really.

"It's wrong" has come to be my shorthand for "it doesn't tell you anything useful and doesn't take a number of critically important factors into consideration", because I know pubbies don't understand basic grade school English, let alone math.

I always recommend people turn it off. I have always kept it disabled because really it does throw a bunch of misleading numbers up and if you're a dumbshit publord who trusts those numbers implicitly, you're going to lose your team the game by either being a defeatist shitlord because your unicum is faced by a fakestats platoon they go on to melt, or because you expect them to carry you. A good example would be a QB video I saw a few days ago. The title grabbed me, "Ultimate Moses Carry", but when the video actually began it was standard pub fare. His team was redder than a congress of the CPSU, the enemy team were rainbow skittles except someone had eaten all the blue and purple ones first. He played an easy, laid-back top-tier match in his IS-2 and ended up with something like 3.5k damage, which is pretty good in a tier 7 but hardly remarkable. The whole match he was trying to hype it up with his commentary but by the game's end not only had he carried without really trying but also several of his team were still alive and putting out damage as well.

The reason for all this hype? XVM had given him a 31% win chance or some poo poo. I've had much worse matches than that (as in, entire team of red faces mostly greens and a couple blues, XVM probably would've penned the win chance around 15-20%) and won them.

I've also lost nearly every match I've ever played where my team had more than 5 purples, especially if they're platoons. Go figure, most of them are fakestats shitters or glory hounds who don't actually play for a team win.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

rossmum posted:

There are some T4 tanks I feel to be comfortable in being able carrying a T6 game. PzIII, VK 20.01, M8A1, probably the Ke-Ho too. Map does factor in somewhat but those are all pretty zippy little tanks with great guns.

Well yeah dude, every tier has its fun decent tanks and its gotten better, but its still got plenty of poo poo. The HP/Alpha jump between 8 and 10 is also loving huge.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 23, 2014

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

T4 has the problem that they can get one-shot by T5 T4 T3 tanks, never mind tier 6.

e: hetzer supremacy ee: T82 supremacy

Prav fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 23, 2014

flowerpot chimp
Apr 13, 2011

dogstile posted:

Well yeah dude, every tier has its fun decent tanks and its gotten better, but its still got plenty of poo poo. The HP/Alpha jump between 8 and 10 is also loving huge.

I honestly don't have a huge problem being a T8 in a T10 game? I mean sure if I'm one of only two T8s in the round it's gonna be rough but whatever, that's the same for every tier. There isn't really an Alpha jump between T8 and 10 either, you see 105, 122 and 15Xmm guns regularly at both those tiers, it's only the 90mm guns on the mediums (and the bizarrely low alpha LB-1) that are kinda shafted but they're not terrible either.

The real problem I find dealing with T10s in lower tier tanks is most T10s ability to poo poo out horrific amounts of damage, but that's a reload/DPM difference rather than a alpha one, most of the time. Also the increased number of horrific autoloaders at tier, compared to basically just the 13 90 having the ability to clip you out at T8.

Personally I've always found the jump from T5 to T6 to be annoyingly big, wailing away with those anaemic 75mm guns.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Atomizer posted:

There are some terrible tier 4s, and some OP as gently caress ones. I got the aforementioned Kolobanov's the other night in the SU-85B, for example (I'll post the replay soon) and I would've gotten Radley-Walter's as well if it extended below tier 5.

Was that the game I was in with you? That was loving magic and I need to get the SU-85B. :v: I believe I was hilariously useless that game too, wallowing around in my M3 Lee and putting myself into bad positions. You know, standard play from me. :haw:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I can't tell if it's a good thing or a bad thing... I don't suck at tanks more than usual than if I have chills, fever and headache.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 23, 2014

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Atomizer posted:

That's called a "bot."

nah, I had a lovely conversation with him and honestly i would have preferred a bot in spawn over him (the bot would have been useful)

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Huh, the KV-5 is tall enough to nail the weak roof on the IS-6, good to know.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I find t4 and t7 to be the most frustrating tiers in general.

There are a lot more t6 guns that can one-shot t4s than there are t5 guns that can one-shot t3s without HE, so t4 is oddly worse off than t3. Neither tier does particularly well in t5/t6 matches, though, and there is a definite power spike after t4. This is ignoring t4 tds, which are almost (poor Sau-40) all very strong vehicles.

From my experience the power difference between t7 and t9 is harder to overcome than the difference between t8 and t10. There are exceptions but I feel the average t9 can handle the average t7 without taking as much damage in return as the average t10 against the average t8.

There's also a bit of pain with t5 and t6 due to the general jump in health at t7, though again I think t6 can handle t8 more than t5 can handle t7, but it's overshadowed by how much t5 and t6 get to beat on low tiers.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mauser posted:

(the bot would have been useful)

This was my final game last night. At the start, our FV3805 repeatedly rams my platoonmate in a 261, forcing a TK. As I go into city, I derp a WT100 for 1600 damage. Unfortunately the IS-7 behind me is too cowardly to finish him off. I should have known, given how he positioned himself, that he was going to block me later. I spared his life the first time. That was a mistake. I should not hesitate to kill such cowards in the future.

Fortunately, this poo poo loss finished my 15k XP missions, so I said 'gently caress this got mine' over teamspeak and dismissed the platoon.

Seriously, my old theory is correct - pubbies don't care about losing, and they're not trying to lose, they are just trying to make you not-win. That's why you get so many pieces of poo poo intentionally drawing games, even though it's literally a loss for both sides.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CitizenKain posted:

Huh, the KV-5 is tall enough to nail the weak roof on the IS-6, good to know.

I would have been swearing at that AT-15 that entire match though. That shitheel was in his way for half the match.

E:

I'm just going to post this from the 2PAC chat.

Argajag (16:57:53) no
Argajag (16:57:55) NOOOO
Argajag (16:58:00) flowerpot_chimp sent you a gift.
Argajag (16:58:10) This package contains: Matilda Black Prince

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 23, 2014

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I really like some of my T2 and 3 tanks, but playing them means I might have to play loving Province and gently caress I hate that map so much. :smithicide:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

dogstile posted:

You can't just ignore a gift like that, Soulfucker. Play it and give us a trip report.

brosef
Jan 19, 2009
I have one, it's pretty good. Really slow, though.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

brosef posted:

I have one, it's pretty good. Really slow, though.

I've only played a handful of games in mine, but it's surprisingly fun for a tank that should, by all rights, be terrible.

flowerpot chimp
Apr 13, 2011

dogstile posted:

You'd think people would be more gracious at accepting gifts.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Desuwa posted:

There are a lot more t6 guns that can one-shot t4s than there are t5 guns that can one-shot t3s without HE, so t4 is oddly worse off than t3. Neither tier does particularly well in t5/t6 matches, though, and there is a definite power spike after t4. This is ignoring t4 tds, which are almost (poor Sau-40) all very strong vehicles.

From my experience the power difference between t7 and t9 is harder to overcome than the difference between t8 and t10. There are exceptions but I feel the average t9 can handle the average t7 without taking as much damage in return as the average t10 against the average t8.

There's also a bit of pain with t5 and t6 due to the general jump in health at t7, though again I think t6 can handle t8 more than t5 can handle t7, but it's overshadowed by how much t5 and t6 get to beat on low tiers.

The problem is primarily due to the power creep. T4 can be pretty miserable when you're facing KV-1S and Hellcats, but there's generally enough players in the lower tiers that you'll get a fair share of T4 and T5 matches to balance that out. I honestly haven't played too much at T7 lately because for me that's the 3002DB and, well, gently caress that, but I found I was getting top tier or T8 more than I got T9 or top tier in my many 8s.

For the top tier stuff there's so many more people in T10s than there used to so the MM will hunt for as many T8s as it can get to fill up those rounds, or so it seems. T8 tanks are, with few exceptions, pretty balanced against each other, so when you get into T10 and T9 matches with the tanks with proper T10 guns like L7s then there isn't really much you can do to resist them. They'll pen you far too easily and they're just more accurate than you generally.

And if the MM goes wacky or you get a bad/afk T10 or two, then you're just extra screwed.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

dogstile posted:

I would have been swearing at that AT-15 that entire match though. That shitheel was in his way for half the match.

E:

I'm just going to post this from the 2PAC chat.

One of my friends keeps threatening to buy me a Super Pershing.

Thankfully, he hasn't done it yet.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

You can't just ignore a gift like that, Soulfucker. Play it and give us a trip report.

I did in the EU PGS thread! If you can't be bothered to go look I'll summarize it in two words:

El Halluf

edit:

M48 OP

Soulfucker fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 23, 2014

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

rossmum posted:

One of my friends keeps threatening to buy me a Super Pershing.

Thankfully, he hasn't done it yet.

What's wrong with the Super Pershing? :ohdear: The google doc made it sound decent and I was looking for a solid medium to train my american medium crews in. I'm still a pretty new player so I wasn't going to buy it until I'd at least played that tier anyway, of course. :v:

I did pick up a T14 last night due to all the recommendations in channel, though. I've easily gotten $9 in fun out of this game already.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Desuwa posted:

I've found tier 8 worse than tier 7 due to the large amounts of 8's with pref MM and the lack of 10's and 9's that means I almost never see my 8's as top tier, unlike my 7's that see it a lot.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Tsurupettan posted:

What's wrong with the Super Pershing? :ohdear: The google doc made it sound decent and I was looking for a solid medium to train my american medium crews in. I'm still a pretty new player so I wasn't going to buy it until I'd at least played that tier anyway, of course. :v:

I did pick up a T14 last night due to all the recommendations in channel, though. I've easily gotten $9 in fun out of this game already.

Armor isn't as good as it was before but its acceptable but only on the front, the sides are soft as butter, gun is anemic with silver pen 170, but gold pen is american with 258. Engine is tier 5 engine so its unbelievable slow regular max is 20ish km/h more akin to a heavy tank without the alpha or pen.

I personally liked it because I could work with its faults, plus I loving love american medium depression.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

Armor isn't as good as it was before but its acceptable but only on the front, the sides are soft as butter, gun is anemic with silver pen 170, but gold pen is american with 258. Engine is tier 5 engine so its unbelievable slow regular max is 20ish km/h more akin to a heavy tank without the alpha or pen.

I personally liked it because I could work with its faults, plus I loving love american medium depression.

That's a little disheartening. Looking over the rest of the choices (and what I've read in the thread), it looks like most of the premium mediums are pretty lackluster, except for the one that isn't sold any more. :v: And even then I was looking for an American one to train my American medium crews in while making cash. The only other choice there looks to be the Ram which I think I saw panned earlier?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

There's always the Panther-M10, whose biggest sin is just being a bit big.

And the T-44-85 that's totally coming out 2014, for reals believe you me. Just after multiturrets and roaming.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Tsurupettan posted:

That's a little disheartening. Looking over the rest of the choices (and what I've read in the thread), it looks like most of the premium mediums are pretty lackluster, except for the one that isn't sold any more. :v: And even then I was looking for an American one to train my American medium crews in while making cash. The only other choice there looks to be the Ram which I think I saw panned earlier?

The Ram's a cutie, get it if you see it on sale.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Tsurupettan posted:

You still have the troll american mantlet and the frontal spaced armor is good against people who can't hit weak spots, it bullies lower tiers well and since it has pref MM it's pretty good.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Chillyrabbit posted:

You still have the troll american mantlet and the frontal spaced armor is good against people who can't hit weak spots, it bullies lower tiers well and since it has pref MM it's pretty good.

On the other hand, the weak spots it does have are sufficiently large and weak enough that anyone who is any good will pen you from the front every time.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

A nice thing about the Super Pershing is that it has as much HP or more than some tier 8 heavy tanks. The spaced armor works against the people that don't know how to aim and its nice chunk of HP helps for when you run into someone that knows to shoot you in weak spots. I like the Super Pershing because the depression, view range and the AP pen are all pretty great.

It is slow as hell though.

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011
The Super Pershing can cause havoc in Ruinberg. Side Scrape your left side of the tank out and laugh as you take 4k potential damage while still being full health in a tier 9 match. You can hide the tubes on the turret and machine gun port on the hull while not over angling your side, it is just magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Rothmog posted:

The Super Pershing can cause havoc in Ruinberg. Side Scrape your left side of the tank out and laugh as you take 4k potential damage while still being full health in a tier 9 match. You can hide the tubes on the turret and machine gun port on the hull while not over angling your side, it is just magical.

Between the frontally-mounted turret and the side armour so piss weak it can be penned from the front, you'd want to be drat careful about the angle you do it at.

• Locked thread