Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

mod sassinator posted:

What happened to Skulltag? That one was really popular a few years ago. Not super faithful to the gameplay of the original, but was a lot of fun from what I remember.

The guy behind Skulltag got busy with his own game called Wrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

What happened to Skulltag? That one was really popular a few years ago. Not super faithful to the gameplay of the original, but was a lot of fun from what I remember.
Zandronum is Skulltag, just without the extra maps and weapons and stuff.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Oh nice, guess I should check it out sometime.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

You can also download skulltag_actors.pk3 and skulltag_data.pk3 separately to add the old Skulltag goodies back into Zandronum.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

At this point most anything available for Skulltag has been ported over to Zandronum. There's even a skulltag-actors.wad to help fix any issues with non-updated wads.

E: And data, too, it seems!

Terminus, could you add me to steam as Kazvall? I'd like to shoot the poo poo about projects.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 22, 2014

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Kazvall posted:

I tend to disagree. Zandronum is the only multiplayer frontend you need. Its easy to setup. You just show it where your doom/heretic/hexen wads are and it downloads any custom files from the server without hassle. Try it out, man. Also keep in mind anything you play on steam will be super vanilla. I literally only use zandronum.

Zandronum doesn't let you invite friends, you have to set up a passworded server (probably by figuring out the right commands to give Best Ever) and communicate the details to them out of band, which is much more work.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Keiya posted:

Zandronum doesn't let you invite friends, you have to set up a passworded server (probably by figuring out the right commands to give Best Ever) and communicate the details to them out of band, which is much more work.

Playing with your friends should be as simple as selecting 'create server', setting the variables, and having your friends connect to your game using the multiplayer browser, included with zandronum. Could you explain to me what program/or steps you're using to make it simpler? I just tell people to join 'GoonDoom', password: stairs.

That or there are hundreds of already hosted servers running too many wads to count.

E: If we're talking about steam, I'd take a modern frontend over the options for that.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 22, 2014

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Keiya posted:

I would say that sv_password "dicks", sv_forcepassword 1, and "Join the server called 'Pie Is Terrible', please" is maybe three minutes of extra work tops, but different strokes for different folks I suppose. v:shobon:v

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Meanwhile, on ZDoom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT3rPt46Ovk
I threw this together last night after noticing that ZDoom's netcode actually makes this too easy to do. All it needs is ticcmds to contain the "maketic difference" (how far out a new tic was from the live game), and it can now track how long it takes a player to do anything across each gamestate. No need to guess work needed. Then, we just store where each player was at the end of every tic, and then temporarily move players back while tracing line attacks (basically, any hitscan) based off said "maketic difference".

The only issue is it does make shots visually inconsistent from what player they hit, but that really comes down to preference.

Plus it also allows for some kind of "ping" counter in the scoreboard that's actually consistent this time. :v:

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 22, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Posting to gauge interest in some goon only hexen coop later? There's a fun RPG mod with stats/skills/accessories we could try, or there's a newish hexen coop survival with updated stuff.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kamrat posted:

The guy behind Skulltag got busy with his own game called Wrack

So busy that he couldn't/wouldn't handle some backend business on the Skulltag website. ST development team got fed up with the chokehold, moved to their own website where they could do what needed to be done (skulltag.net vs. the original skulltag.com), and continued there so they wouldn't need the guy anymore. But then he complained that Skulltag was his baby and they couldn't use his property if he no longer had control on it, so they changed the name to Zandronum and made the extra content a separate, optional download and that was the end of the drama.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Skulltag really needed to go open source earlier in order to keep its development moving, and there were some really important changes to zDoom that never got ported into Skulltag because of that. Making Zandronum was definitely the right move.

Still mad I wasted so much time trying to get Shadow Warrior sticky mines working in Skulltag.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 23, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Are there any oldschool games with active multiplayer communities that is free? I introduced a friend to Quake Live for the first time and he absolutely loves it but it's a nightmare to get us together on the same server.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
If you guys are Quake Live friends, you should be able to join the game of someone in your friend list.

Tribes and Tribes 2 are free. I dunno how active, but Tribes may be getting a bump from this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/tribes-hd-2014

Tribes 2 @ http://www.tribesnext.com/

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Johnny Law posted:

If you guys are Quake Live friends, you should be able to join the game of someone in your friend list.

Tribes and Tribes 2 are free. I dunno how active, but Tribes may be getting a bump from this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/tribes-hd-2014

Tribes 2 @ http://www.tribesnext.com/

As an aside to this, notman (the developer of the Team Arial Combat mods for T1/T2) and fans have been organizing pickup games almost every Friday since the Tribes 2 playerbase started to dwindle. Well Holy poo poo, guess what, they're still doing them. http://www.tribesnext.com/forum/index.php?topic=3333.0

Every Friday starting around 9-10 EST. Try it out, it's great fun.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Phoenix isn't in the list of Marathon mods and it should be. RyokoTK made it, everyone should play it, it's real good.

Also install the HUD plugin that tracks its secrets so you can obsess over finding all of them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

Phoenix isn't in the list of Marathon mods and it should be. RyokoTK made it, everyone should play it, it's real good.

Also install the HUD plugin that tracks its secrets so you can obsess over finding all of them.

Done.

Also, while I'm here, apparently a level designer at Valve dug up his old Duke 3D maps he made as a teenager, and has been putting them on the Steam Workshop for fun:
Mega Socked Devil Ruins
Bowels of Hell Space Station

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I made a short video of my System Shock 1 to Dark Mod conversion in action. Most of the art is place holder, wooden doors in space is probably a bad idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlz_Ifo9mcQ

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Ijuuin Enzan posted:

I just want you to know that you're a cool dude and I think you're swell.

Just for total accuracy though, you don't need the HUD overlay to track secrets. It has its own inventory page in the normal HUD and you page to it with the bracket keys by default.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 23, 2014

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
I wish I still had all the maps I made for duke when I was a teenager... I don't think I have to patience to use build now.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Well, we were up until the wee hours of the morning. Hexen just had to be beat. I haven't had that much fun playing an fps in awhile. For a better game experience we played on survival with one life. I'm pretty sure we managed to slog through the game without a total wipe, always one person staying alive. After initially dying quite embarrassingly to cliffs and crushing blocks, we got into a groove. An old school grunt fest. There's not enough grunting in modern games.

I can host some zandronum now if anyone wants to try some poo poo out.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Now, be a good thread and don't derail, but apparently this is coming up.

That...must have been the smallest amount of information I've seen about an update yet.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Now, be a good thread and don't derail, but apparently this is coming up.

That...must have been the smallest amount of information I've seen about an update yet.

I... I don't see how you need ragdoll physics with sprites. :ughh:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
That's loving sweet as hell, and I can't see how anyone could think it isn't.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

That dude should just switch to Doomsday. :fap:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Kazvall posted:

I... I don't see how you need ragdoll physics with sprites. :ughh:
I don't even see how you can do ragdoll physics with sprites.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

Thank you.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Obviously its because you lack the imagination. There are very few games that can't be improved by ragdoll physics.

edit: You guys see the video in that guys post right?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 24, 2014

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Obviously its because you lack the imagination. There are very few games that can't be improved by ragdoll physics.
I don't disagree that ragdoll physics are quite awesome, but they kind of inherently require full 3D models to work, which Doom totally lacks.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Shadow Hog posted:

Seriously. It just looked like a new death animation in the video. I guess anything is possible.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
He's not doing ragdoll physics, if you read the actual article (or hell, watch the video), he's just making it so that enemies get knocked back and roll on the ground if you shoot them point-blank with the shotgun.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Which isn't really that much of an accomplishment. Just A_Recoil and ThrustThingZ combined. Lord knows several other mods have done it already--Super Skulltag abused it a ton.

Still, uh, yay for more visual feedback?

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 24, 2014

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Sorry I really should not have said "physics" in my first post at all.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Vanilla Doom has bodies that move back when killed. This just increases the amount and adds new death animations.

Slap "ragdolls" on it and it gets people talking about it. Say what you want about SgtMark but he's pretty good at advertising.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

jerkstoresup posted:

Vanilla Doom has bodies that move back when killed. This just increases the amount and adds new death animations.

Slap "ragdolls" on it and it gets people talking about it. Say what you want about SgtMark but he's pretty good at advertising.

Well, the header of the article, "Brutal Doom update v20 to add ragdoll physics, more brutality", sure got me talking about it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Brutal Doom is hilarious. I mean, I don't like playing it, but the fact that someone looked at the hyperbolic fearmongering and thought to themselves, "Yeah, I should implement that" amuses me to no end.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Let me know when SgtMarkIV adds the death animation that turns imps into black people when you shoot them with the railgun

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It beginsssss :unsmigghh:

Segmentation Fault posted:

Let me know when SgtMarkIV adds the death animation that turns imps into black people when you shoot them with the railgun

The Mancubus cannons already do that

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

It beginsssss :unsmigghh:

At this point, we probably need a separate thread for people who want to loudly talk about how much they don't want to talk about a very popular thing.

So, let's try to get away from that horrible derail - have there been any other good GZDoom projects that have flown under the radar lately? Things seem quiet so far this year. Apparently ZDCMP2 is very nearly complete. They're just seeing if they can't rustle up one last burst of energy to try and track down some old known bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Dominic White posted:

have there been any other good GZDoom projects that have flown under the radar lately? Things seem quiet so far this year. Apparently ZDCMP2 is very nearly complete. They're just seeing if they can't rustle up one last burst of energy to try and track down some old known bugs.

I'm not sure if you are referring to ZDCMP2 as a GZDoom project, so just in case you are, it isn't. It is a ZDoom project first and foremost.
However, at the moment most GZDoom projects are somewhat on standby, granted only ones that I know of, which means anything mentioned on the #zdoom IRC channel. Half the problem is GZDoom isn't really getting any better at the moment, so until Graf Zahl or someone else picks up on developing it again, things are predictably going to slow down. It's a common trend in doom ports. The mods and mapsets come at the same speed as the support for the port. The only exception being vanilla (and boom, somewhat).

In saying that, Graf Zahl has appeared to show a slightly renewed interest in GZDoom, as is currently looking at updating and improving a lot of its shader support (in engine, that is). This does come at the cost of dropping support for GL compatibility below 3.X, however this only really affects graphics cards more then 5 years old, or some integrated intel chipsets.