Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Don't read the comments, kids.

Also, glad that guy is loving off out of the moto-industry as a whole.

I mean in theory I can understand the complaint about ABS. I've never ridden a bike with one and I'd love to have it, but if it somehow alters the "FEEL" of the bike I can understand the complaint, even if I disagree with it. But the seatbelt complaint is bullshit. Unless that dude has easily chafed nipples there is no reason to complain about seatbelts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Outside Dawg posted:

Couldn't if we wanted to or dared to....you overlooked posting a link.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/bmw-motorcycle-standard-abs-safety-360/

Can anyone translate this for me:

quote:

Yeah, I know it’s the future (and I also realise that the average European motorcyclist is probably not far off being a grandfather), but why not just put four wheels and a roof on bikes and call it a day?

I went riding with my dad the other day (Nearly retired). I overtook a car (In an outside lane, not on the opposite side of the road), got a bit carried away with the speed, pulled back in and then got to watch him fly past me on his GSXR.

hermand fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 18, 2014

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Chichevache posted:

I mean in theory I can understand the complaint about ABS. I've never ridden a bike with one and I'd love to have it, but if it somehow alters the "FEEL" of the bike I can understand the complaint, even if I disagree with it. But the seatbelt complaint is bullshit. Unless that dude has easily chafed nipples there is no reason to complain about seatbelts.

I think this guy is talking about one of the systems that has linked brakes in combination with ABS. I've got a BMW with ABS and it feels fine. I'm quite happy to have it as I'm still a new-ish rider and I definitely would have locked them up on a few occasions without it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

kuffs posted:

I think this guy is talking about one of the systems that has linked brakes in combination with ABS. I've got a BMW with ABS and it feels fine. I'm quite happy to have it as I'm still a new-ish rider and I definitely would have locked them up on a few occasions without it.

Ok. I can understand disliking linked brakes, but ABS owns from every account I've heard.

Guy is still a retard.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's a moot point because of

quote:

the likely introduction of laws making ABS required on all motorcycles in the European Union by 2016

... which means all Euro bikes and almost all Japs are going to be ABS standard - you want a non-ABS bike, try finding a Harley without it added, or buy used.

Also BMW is a premium brand that wants to charge premium prices, and standard ABS is a way to pull themselves up from the Japbikes, and their options packages are silly enough already.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'm pretty sure linked brakes don't alter the feel either. Unless you're Marquez and you have one wheel off the ground all the time or something. The only ABS brakes I've ever used that felt bad were the BMW IABS systems. It was indeed poo poo. But that was just one model they used, and discontinued before too long. And no other bike has ever had anything like it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Cycle World had a test recently where they gave a desert racer a KTM with ABS and ran some tests. He was stopping a good 5 feet shorter with ABS, and more consistently. Not that magazine tests are the pinnacle of science, but I figure if a pro racer is getting an advantage from ABS, then it's gotta be good.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I love the ABS on my Bandit, so idk.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

Cycle World had a test recently where they gave a desert racer a KTM with ABS and ran some tests. He was stopping a good 5 feet shorter with ABS, and more consistently. Not that magazine tests are the pinnacle of science, but I figure if a pro racer is getting an advantage from ABS, then it's gotta be good.

There's a reason it's banned from racing. Obviously a *bad* ABS won't be as good as a good rider, but I think like fuel injection most of the hatred for ABS come because the first versions weren't brilliant and that's damned them forever in peoples minds, like there has never been any progress in the field since then.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Deeters posted:

I have been reading about the Yamaha FZ-09 and how it's basically like a cheap Speed Triple with a mean-as-hell engine (albeit a not-as-good suspension/chassis), and I've been seriously considering to buy one brand-new when I return to the US. However, one of the things that's turned me off from it is the lack of ABS in the US models - I have heard so many good things about ABS that now I don't want a bike without it. I hope they develop an ABS model within the next year, else I'll be looking at something else to ride.

Personally, I lump the whole "ABS SUCKS YA'LL NEED TO LARN HOW TO RIDE LIKE REEL MEN" crap in with the same guys who swear up and down that a good full-face hemet restricts visibility, and therefore are more dangerous than riding without a helmet.

Then again, I didn't mind the linked brakes on my 5th gen VFR, so maybe I don't know how brakes properly work and I'm full of poo poo because of that. Who knows.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have no problem with ABS but linked brakes put me off. I've never ridden a bike that has them, but the idea of the front brake coming on when I push on the foot lever makes me squirm uncomfortably.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I have no problem with ABS but linked brakes put me off. I've never ridden a bike that has them, but the idea of the front brake coming on when I push on the foot lever makes me squirm uncomfortably.

usually it works the other way around.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Really? I thought the whole idea of linked brakes was to ensure that the front brake gets actuated when stopping even if midlife crisis biker wannabe refuses to touch the Layer Dan Lever (tm) and prefers to ride like he's on a beach cruiser bicycle with a coaster brake.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Really? I thought the whole idea of linked brakes was to ensure that the front brake gets actuated when stopping even if midlife crisis biker wannabe refuses to touch the Layer Dan Lever (tm) and prefers to ride like he's on a beach cruiser bicycle with a coaster brake.

The way Honda does it generally is by applying one piston on the rear caliper when you apply the front brake. I dunno about other brands.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Linedance posted:

The way Honda does it generally is by applying one piston on the rear caliper when you apply the front brake. I dunno about other brands.

Same for the bmws (tho I don't know about the one-piston thing.) The idea is to make the front brake as effective as possible while giving you full control over the rear brake for those offroad times and low speed stuff where it's really useful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

Google indicates that they also apply part of the front brakes when you apply the rear brake. At least on the VFR800.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Slavvy posted:

Google indicates that they also apply part of the front brakes when you apply the rear brake. At least on the VFR800.

This is how it works on my ST1300, too. It's not a big deal, really. The way some people complain about it, you'd get the impression that a touch of the rear brake sends the front into lockup.

Sure, on a serious offroading bike, or on a track or racing bike, I can understand not wanting it. But, shorter stopping distances on the street where most of these bikes are ridden translates into fewer accidents, much like ABS. Of course, people bitch about that, too.

I sometimes wonder if they have ever actually ridden a bike with a properly working linked system, or if it's all just armchair griping.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Well when I hit my rear brake, I don't want it to engage the Layer Dan Lever.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

So turns out I was thinking of the BMW system, not the Honda system.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_braking_system

The modern Honda system sounds like it would be pretty invisible to the rider. The older system sounds deliciously complex, all secondary master cylinders and proportioning valves...

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The guys that own the gen 5 VFRs loved to imagine they were such hardcore riders that they needed to de-link the linked braking system. I found the system pretty much imperceptible unless you just slam the rear brake on you'd feel a little bit of front dive. I thought the system was a bit of a needless complication that made bleeding brakes a little bit of a hassle but otherwise just fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The C14 has a linked system with 2 settings and has mixed reviews, generally from hardcore owners that "have been riding for 40 years and don't need no stupid linked system" :bahgawd:

The most aggressive setting can be noticeable, especially if you go hard on the rear, but I find the low setting to be perfectly fine at the lowest speeds even at low speeds in parking lots.

The ABS system is fantastic either way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

So turns out I was thinking of the BMW system, not the Honda system.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_braking_system

The modern Honda system sounds like it would be pretty invisible to the rider. The older system sounds deliciously complex, all secondary master cylinders and proportioning valves...

That's exactly what puts me off, the fact that it's an hydraulic/mechanical system. If it were basically the bike version of EBD like a car, it's fine. And from that wiki article it appears to be what honda now has.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
So I had assumed the PO had never changed the air filter in his 20k miles of use. I'm up to 25k now so I ordered a K&N filter for 50 bones.

There was already a K&N filter in the bike. The first time a PO does something right and it bites me in the rear end.

On the other hand I discovered he dremeled out the battery box in a messy fashion to fit a slightly bigger battery.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

When the hell is the KTM Duke 390 going to come to the US? Will we ever get a KTM 390 SMC? Will the fact that the bike is going to be made in India mean it will suffer quality issues? So many questions!!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've sat on one. The quality doesn't appear to be any worse than a normal KTM. The factory exhaust looks like poo poo but the rest of it is utterly amazing; it absolutely blows away every other learner bike on the market, aside from the (significantly pricier and bigger) monster 649.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Local motorcycle mag is doing a 50000km test on a 390 and has the results next month.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
My 04 R1150R Rockster has both hydraulic (servo) assist and partially linked brakes. BMW's partially linked system, in my opinion, is great. The front brake puts 100% on both front discs and 30% of the braking force on the rear disc. The rear brake controls just the rear so it can be used in slow speeds, off pavement etc. My only complaint about the linked system is that it fosters bad habits, i.e. not using the rear regularly. Personally, it's because my first crash involved too much rear on a wet and slippery down slope.

The hydraulic assist is horrible. :psyboom: Normally, it's very powerful, but with this hideous whine when the brakes are engaged. But if the system fails I have what's called "residual braking force" which means it stops like a VLCC with a following current. Add to that, the amount of brake squeeze needed is extremely different than normal. With hydraulic assist, one finger stops are the norm. With "residual braking force" four finger, grab to the stops are necessary just to stop from normal speeds.

The servo assist is a prime example of BMW's fetish for technology for its own sake and my understanding is it was done away with for the 2007 model years and later.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My buddy's older brother just bought a GSXR 600 for his first bike. He bought a full face helmet and but no other gear, and he keeps mentioning how WI isn't a helmet law state anymore. Also he just got his moto temps today. I give him a week before crashing.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The one who decided it was a good idea to set the speed limit on US97 in Oregon should be tarred and feathered. 55mph is the worst. Everybody feels like it's too slow, half drive 10-20 over, nobody knows what to expect. It is bedlam. Both directions stack up with traffic because of it too which makes passing a rare treat.

Oregon traffic engineering in general, for that matter, can't say I'm a fan.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Coredump posted:

When the hell is the KTM Duke 390 going to come to the US? Will we ever get a KTM 390 SMC? Will the fact that the bike is going to be made in India mean it will suffer quality issues? So many questions!!!

I dunno man but I look for news on that poo poo all the time. I want one pretty bad.

KTM's partnered with Bajaj in India to build it, and they've been building motorbikes for half a century - my friend has a '66 Bajaj Priya, which was a licensed Vespa clone. Bajaj was well-regarded in the scooter world until they stopped making them just a couple years ago. And while they started out making licensed/copied Vespas, their later bikes like the Chetak and Legend were of their own design, at least mechanically, and were rock solid (if ugly) utilitarian scooters. So I'd trust them to build a fine KTM.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

The one who decided it was a good idea to set the speed limit on US97 in Oregon should be tarred and feathered. 55mph is the worst. Everybody feels like it's too slow, half drive 10-20 over, nobody knows what to expect. It is bedlam. Both directions stack up with traffic because of it too which makes passing a rare treat.

Oregon traffic engineering in general, for that matter, can't say I'm a fan.

The best is that the state legislature passed a law authorizing the speed limits to be raised to 70mph like a civilized place, the governor signed it into law, but the Oregon DOT refuses to actually change the speed limits and update the signs because 'there's not enough information available on the impact of raising the speed limit on safety'. :suicide:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

The best is that the state legislature passed a law authorizing the speed limits to be raised to 70mph like a civilized place, the governor signed it into law, but the Oregon DOT refuses to actually change the speed limits and update the signs because 'there's not enough information available on the impact of raising the speed limit on safety'. :suicide:

This sounds so New Zealand it hurts. Currently because of easter weekend the cops are doing a 4km/h NAZI SPEEDING TOLERANCE thing because they genuinely believe that pinging people for doing 6km's over the limit reduces the number of road deaths and it has nothing to do with revenue gathering nope nothing at all don't be silly.

A couple of years ago they built a pretty large and impressive motorway tunnel that significantly reduced congestion (temporarily). Yet the tunnel speed limit is 80km/h, when the rest of the motorway is 100, because of the 'inherently greater danger' of driving through a tunnel :jerkbag:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I love riding in Montana. Duck across the border, hit US89 near Glacier with a 70MPH speed limit that can get you in trouble real quick if you're not prepared for some of the corners.

Of course, the RVs in the summer almost make doing the speed limit impossible :saddowns:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress, last I checked you have a 1400cc leather-lined executive jet. Can't be that big a problem :)

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Slavvy posted:

gently caress, last I checked you have a 1400cc leather-lined executive jet. Can't be that big a problem :)

No kidding. There's some passing zones in the Rockies west of slidebite that are so short they're for super cars or motorcycles. Kind of fun. :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hah, fair enough, passing is easy but the sheer volume of the RVs make it impossible and there really is no passing lanes on 89 where they're really needed. You need to resort to solid line passing which I try not to do as a rule. I'll speed, but really try not to illegally pass.

You end up getting past one RV just to get behind another 30' RV and a couple half tons pick ups pulling grossly oversized trailers that can't make it up a 5% grade without slowing to a crawl.

June and Sept are the best months. Weekends July/Aug are especially awful.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Those roads really limit passing if you want to do it with a safety window. I can't wait to ride the going to the sun road.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
There's always the Beartooth Highway/Pass ride.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

nsaP posted:

Those roads really limit passing if you want to do it with a safety window. I can't wait to ride the going to the sun road.

You may be waiting awhile if you're going to do it this year, they're saying maybe, they might, hopefully, have it open sometime in late June. Last week they had 139 mph sustained winds at Logan Pass. We got quite a bit of snow this year, especially higher up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

nsaP posted:

Sun road is gorgeous and everyone should do it once, but as with my post earlier the traffic is even worse with stops measured in the feet at times. It sucks the soul out of you because the hairpins and cutbacks are all over the place.

If you go early in the AM would be best to minimize it.

Like Dawg says, it'll be a late opening this year for sure. Winter was unseasonably long and brutal. Tenaciously holding on in some areas too.

You can check the status periodically here:
http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/goingtothesunroad.htm

e: You do get the benefit that they don't allow trailers as a general rule, but the congestion for being, literally, in the middle of nowhere, is remarkable.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 24, 2014