Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

"Catwoman’s battle to be kingpin of crime in Gotham City takes an unexpected turn when Selina and Black Mask are revealed to be one and the same!"

That sounds awesome :allears: I'm just picturing that Black Mask dresses up as Catwoman and nobody can tell. It's all been a super long con during the nu52 and everything Catwoman's done is actually his evil plan, like, Black Mask had sex with Bruce to make sure he could sell the woman angle hard enough.

"Hey Catwoman why you look like my childhood frenemy Roman Sionis and look like a dude?" (Or if his mask is fused to his face.) "Hey Catwoman why do you have a black skull under your mask and look like a man?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I knew Lois Lane was getting psychic powers in Lobdell's comics from the Hector Hammond arc, but she's Braniac now? Anyone been reading Superman lately?

SM/WW #10

e: Aww, man. Guy Gardner has a full van dyke now. I loved the dirty 'stache :(

Arguably the best costume design since New 52 launched. Oddly reminiscent of Faith from Joe Kelly's JLA, though.

That said, my favorite cover this time around is Flash, because he is straight up slap-fighting Attack on Titan.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Did DC decide to cover up the pink lanterns? Good on them!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

StumblyWumbly posted:

Did DC decide to cover up the pink lanterns? Good on them!

Some of them I guess.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Waterhaul posted:

This Grayson solicit seems very familiar. As if I've seen this before...

You're crazy. I can't wait to read the further adventures of Dick Grayson: Summer Soldier. HAIL SPYRAL!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

E the Shaggy posted:

You're crazy. I can't wait to read the further adventures of Dick Grayson: Summer Soldier. HAIL SPYRAL!

It's going to really suck when all of Barbra's memories of Dick are removed as revenge for his past actions

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

bobkatt013 posted:

It's going to really suck when all of Barbra's memories of Dick are removed as revenge for his past actions

At least they'll save time skipping Kory.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
The solicitation for Booster Gold makes it sound like he's gonna team up with everyone's who got shafted by the New 52

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Meet N52 Wally West

Holy poo poo, I hope BC is pulling my leg with the twenty-years jump. DC's editors can't be THAT incompetent, right?

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 23, 2014

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
That dude breaking down sobbing with the sandwich may be my new favorite panel.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PantsOptional posted:

That dude breaking down sobbing with the sandwich may be my new favorite panel.

Actually my favorite part is Flash trying to fix this by traveling in time.

That worked out so well last time he did.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I hope BC is pulling my leg with the twenty-years jump. DC's editors can't be THAT incompetent, right?

What's the big deal?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 23, 2014

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
That newspaper lettering is incredible.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

What's the big deal?

According to BC Wally dies twenty years into the future starting the plot with the Blue Flash coming back in time to avoid Wally's dead. If we take that at face value then it means than Wally hasn't born on the current N52

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
So Wally is dead the moment he premiers. DC has gotten really good at trolling the fans of certain characters.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

According to BC Wally dies twenty years into the future starting the plot with the Blue Flash coming back in time to avoid Wally's dead. If we take that at face value then it means than Wally hasn't born on the current N52

So, what's the big deal?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trast posted:

So Wally is dead the moment he premiers. DC has gotten really good at trolling the fans of certain characters.

Wanna place bets on what issue of Batman Eternal Stephanie Brown is gonna bit it in?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, what's the big deal?

Going with that interpretation, Wally doesn't exist yet since the newspaper clip on Future's Barry room says than a Teenager died. I'm leaning at BC loving up their article and Wally dying on the present with Future Barry being eaten by the guilt for twenty years...hmmm, wasn't that the plot of Flashpoint?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Going with that interpretation, Wally doesn't exist yet since the newspaper clip on Future's Barry room says than a Teenager died. I'm leaning at BC loving up their article and Wally dying on the present with Future Barry being eaten by the guilt for twenty years...hmmm, wasn't that the plot of Flashpoint?

That's more likely based on the actual contents of the issue.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
To be fair, we really have gotten to the point in DC stories where Bleeding Cool getting a story completely wrong sounds thoroughly plausible as a storyline.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

Wanna place bets on what issue of Batman Eternal Stephanie Brown is gonna bit it in?

-She's already on the run from killers! Outside of that Eternal was predictable and underwhelming.

-Superman on the other hand really sparked my interest on Doomed

-Gina's death as doornail in All-Star Western but her dead might be relevant later, until then is still a fridging.

-Flash was meh but BC hosed up its note, Wally's around 10-12 years old on the current N52 :v:

-Despite TT rushing to close plots it was entertaining but the real gem are Bunker and Gar. Those guys are the best :mexico:

-Red Lanterns keeps being loving awesome. Can't we get Soule on the other Lantern books?, Please?

-Larfleeze was pretty drat fun. I'm gonna miss it.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 23, 2014

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Red Lanterns didn't wow me this week compared to previous issues. I liked the interactions between Supergirl and Bleez, but everything else felt a bit boring.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

goldenoreos posted:

Red Lanterns didn't wow me this week compared to previous issues. I liked the interactions between Supergirl and Bleez, but everything else felt a bit boring.

I still enjoyed it. Is Super-Girl worth reading? I dropped it when I dropped it before I dropped the rest of the DC books during the Hel on Earth arc, but this RL story is apparently a cross over.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's been quite good (minus the H'el on Earth crossover), but since Tony Bedard took over at #26 I've found it pretty average.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Justice League United/Canada #0 is pretty good. I haven't read any of the other Justice League stuff in New 52 but it doesn't feel like you miss a lot from it and the team is almost set up as pseudo-underdogs, given they aren't high-profile heroes (J'onn and Ollie aside.) I haven't read any of Animal Man either, but his appearance here alone is making me tempted to check it out.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I hear that Superboy is getting significantly better #30 on. Is anyone reading it currently?

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That implication was there since 'The Killing Joke' isn't it? I don't remember nothing giving credence to that on DOTF.

EDIT:

http://www.newsarama.com/20891-meet-superdoom-the-monster-of-steel-in-july-s-action-comics-33.html

This can't be real. SUPERDOOM: THE MONSTER OF STEEL

I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Argh.

So we have series where:

1) Superman goes evil, becomes a minion of Darkseid and destroys the world to be replaced (although it's cool DC is doing their version of Miles Morales from this)

2) Superman goes evil on his own and conquers the planet;

3) Superman turns into an evil spider robot thing and gets replaced by a masked version;

4) Superman is an arrogant rear end in a top hat (JL3000);

And now

5) Superman gets mutated into SuperDoomsday

This is all coming on the heels of Superman being MIA in Forever Evil for close to a year.

It's not a good time to be a Superman fan I guess :smith:

Edit - I'm reading Superboy. Wolfman's run was horrible but Kuder is off to a really promising start. I'd recommend picking it up.

The Goon fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 24, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Goon posted:

It's not a good time to be a Superman fan I guess :smith:

I'd say it's been pretty great lately.

Even if you aren't anticipating anything good from the Doomsday stuff, with Pak Action, SM/WW and BM/SM (apart from the Brett Booth arc) Isn't this the best time we've had him since, say, Final Crisis? All-Star before that?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 24, 2014

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Lobdell's reign of terror is finally ending and that's all that matters. The only thing I'm mad about is that apparently psychic Lois hasn't been dropped yet judging by the SM/WW solicits.

I just hope both Pak and Johns ignore it entirely since they'll be the only Superbooks I'll be following.

Also Superman 3000 is a hilarious idiot, so are all the other members of JL3K.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
DC is getting very efficient at introducing minority versions of legacy characters, then murdering them.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

He's definitely killed 5 years from now, subject to future time fuckery.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DynamicSloth posted:

DC is getting very efficient at introducing minority versions of legacy characters, then murdering them.

He's definitely killed 5 years from now, subject to future time fuckery.

Which means he should be 10 to 12 years old in the present. (How old is his only possible parent Daniel. Also pleas don't make him angst if Dan is his father.)putting him out of age range for his old best friend Dick Grayson. Also if new Wally does not die then the morals of flashpoint and Daniel's arc were pointless. As going back in time to prevent his death saved the day.

Also even if they were going to change his skin color no matter what they could have at least tried to make him look a little bit like Wally. It's not even Wally West but black the lack of red hair bugs me more then his new race. Honestly they should be a new character and if they change his personality as well then they might as well have killed Wally because they got rid of everything else he had.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

lotus circle posted:

Justice League United/Canada #0 is pretty good. I haven't read any of the other Justice League stuff in New 52 but it doesn't feel like you miss a lot from it and the team is almost set up as pseudo-underdogs, given they aren't high-profile heroes (J'onn and Ollie aside.) I haven't read any of Animal Man either, but his appearance here alone is making me tempted to check it out.

Yeah Justice League United was good. nu52 Animal Man is also by Lemire and really good for the first arc (probably the best horror book DC has done on purpose in a while) before getting dragged into a really long boring crossover event with Swamp Thing.

I'll stick with United until it eventual gets dragged into a crossover or gets a bad artist change but c listers being flippant and fighting aliens is enough to keep me around.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah Justice League United was good. nu52 Animal Man is also by Lemire and really good for the first arc (probably the best horror book DC has done on purpose in a while) before getting dragged into a really long boring crossover event with Swamp Thing.

I'll stick with United until it eventual gets dragged into a crossover or gets a bad artist change but c listers being flippant and fighting aliens is enough to keep me around.

Even if you didn't like Rotworld Animal man is still worth reading past that point(you can probably just skip Rotworld). The last issue had really disappointing Foreman art but amazing Lemire pages.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Rafael Albuquerque art at the end of the run is worth getting to.

I wasn't so into JLU. Animal Man and Green Arrow didn't seem to get any of the character he built in their solo books to come over. I suppose that's to fit the simple team book tone he's going for.
I'll definitely see where it goes, but I'm afraid it'll be like his JLDark and do zilch for me.

Nice to see some cool back matter at least!

Trast posted:

Does DC even like Superman anymore? They seem to be doing tremendously dumb things with him these days.

Read Action Comics 25-29 and report back.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 24, 2014

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Does DC even like Superman anymore? They seem to be doing tremendously dumb things with him these days.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Trast posted:

I do not think so. He is there icon and during his 75th anniversary they celebrated it in just his own book. Its Batman's this year and they are going all out. It sort of pisses me off how they do not know what to do with him. It could also be an issue where he is not grim and gritty so they think he is pointless.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I was kind of annoyed by the whole ROMITA IS COMING ads in DC books this week. Like Romita is a fine artist and all but I don't think I'd compare him to Kirby or anything. Have they used that ad for anyone else?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I was kind of annoyed by the whole ROMITA IS COMING ads in DC books this week. Like Romita is a fine artist and all but I don't think I'd compare him to Kirby or anything. Have they used that ad for anyone else?

I would be more exited if it was Romita Sr.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Trast posted:

There was an interview with Zack Snyder talking about the Superman vs Batman film recently where he says how people are too focused on the Christoper Reeves version of the character and he wants to bring things away from that.

That's basically what DC seem to be doing at the moment. Erasing that version of the character from existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

That's basically what DC seem to be doing at the moment. Erasing that version of the character from existence.

Pak's Sman in Action is full of wonder, kindness, adventure and all that good stuff.
Grant's was full of virtue.

I think people just have his introduction in Justice League locked in their minds.

e: I guess Pak is doing both sides of the coin with BM/SM having a darker feel (which is probably just inherent in writing for Jae Lee's art)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 24, 2014

• Locked thread