Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Raygereio posted:

Because the Tau are Xenos filth. Therefore Tau tech is also Xenos filth. Also the Cult Mechanicus probably views any tech that isn't theirs as blasphemous.

"Heretek" is a word techpriests use with deadly seriousness. A Magos of the Mechanicus who advocates studying and using alien technology is comparable to an Inquisitor studying Chaos and using daemonic artifacts or daemonhosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Plus the Tau runs on Apple iOS.

Edit: Tau machine spirits don't get along with Imperial/Mechanius.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Which means it's actually quite common.

It's also has a lack of chaos insanity and less threat of an incursion.
Well, mostly.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Cythereal posted:

"Heretek" is a word techpriests use with deadly seriousness. A Magos of the Mechanicus who advocates studying and using alien technology is comparable to an Inquisitor studying Chaos and using daemonic artifacts or daemonhosts.

Part of the reason I voted against going into the cold trade(Xeno relic and weaponry trade) in the Rogue Trader thread. I played as an explorator, which got me quite a bit of leeway, as they are the weird dudes that go around planets stealing their toys. All in the name of Research of course. Likely Mecharius would have been one of the few to be able to get away with reverse engineering something, so long as he prettied it up with enough Aquilas, purification seals, and skulls. And even then he would have to do some very fast talking.

And what do you think Ordo Hereticus and Ordo Malleus does daily?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also: Previous attempts to study it have failed.
Explosively.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Plus, the evil dragon under the surface of Mars probably isn't best pleased with the idea it might get ignored for newer, shinier things...

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I actually had a talk with some 40K nerd friends I know about exactly that, and the conclusion they had was basically that the Lasgun is ideally suited to the Imperial Guard military doctrine. According to them, it's not unheard of for the techpriests to take Xenos technology, "lock it away", and then years later for them to suddenly 'find' a pattern for new tech that's blocker, yet suspiciously similar tech.

The standard fire warrior gear is neither practical nor reliable enough for the standard Guardsman, as opposed to a lasgun which can be made very cheaply and very quickly, can be treated terribly and still fire fine, can be maintained on the field with a damp cloth, and recharged by body-heat when necessary. I believe it also packs the same punch, just at a shorter range, but the standard Guardsman doesn't need range. That's what artillery is for.

The more advanced stuff skirts very dangerously with drone and AI technology, which is heretical technology that nobody in the Imperium would get anywhere near for a long list of reasons, boiling down to 'the robot revolution happened and humanity still bears the scars.'

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
If you guys need help leveling up for the multiplayer sections, the best way is to play a couple rounds of Exterminatus with a pair of level 41 players. I've got about 600 hours in this game and still play the multiplayer frequently, so give me a shout if you need help.

There are optimal ways of getting through various Exterminatus levels for maximum experience gain, and you can get severely punished if you don't have the right tool for the job (ballistics vs. plasma againt certain enemies in a given level, properly zoning with Assault marines with the Impenetrable perk -without which you will die in millliseconds-, stuff like that).

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Gothsheep posted:

I actually used the pistol a lot for dealing with Grotz.

Amusingly enough, you can just roll onto grots to kill them. Poor little guys literally die from everything in this game.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Veloxyll posted:

Also: Previous attempts to study it have failed.
Explosively.

This sounds more like a positive.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
One thing I love about this game and really a lot of Imperium design is that EVERYTHING is Gothic architecture even the bullets for the huge gently caress off gun.

The Hardboys were the things that killed me the most. It's when you don't kill them ASAP you're probably dead. Also with the orkz moving before you shoot, I do believe they're a bit psychic right?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really liked the bit that ork speed freaks are orks who have to trek a long boring way to the battle so they decide never to have to do it again. It implies that the first storm boy was an ork who was "born" too far from the fighting so when walking he went "Dis is takin' forevah! Fuckit I'ma strap dis rokkit to me back and get dere fastah."

counterfeitsaint posted:

This sounds more like a positive.
Explosions are very dangerous, they can attract orks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Gothsheep posted:

The more advanced stuff skirts very dangerously with drone and AI technology, which is heretical technology that nobody in the Imperium would get anywhere near for a long list of reasons, boiling down to 'the robot revolution happened and humanity still bears the scars.'

This is the biggest reason. For all their insanity, the AdMech is partly an understandable overreaction to a terrifying AI rebellion that almost destroyed the entire human race. The Tau look, to the AdMech, to be going down the same road and mucking about with their tech is a good way to join them in Iron Men 2: Oh God We're All Aflame.

That, and as to cooperation, as Coolguye will attest, the Eldar poisoned that well good and propah long ago. I've always thought that was an intentional bit of irony with the Tau. For once, the humans meet a race that really is just another political entity and has no especial interest in genocide, though it might attack to try to take some territory and resources as it expands. A political entity that would actually be willing to listen if they said 'Hey Taus, there're some Tyrannids coming who are going to eat all of us, what say we stop shooting each other and kill all the bugs?' And they never will, both because of normal Imperial doctrine but because they remember the billion and one times tricksy elves made the same offer and then backstabbed the gently caress out of them while giggling.

Everything is the Eldar's fault. Always.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I thought latest Codex's had established the Tau are now Battle Brothers with the Space Marines, meaning you can field them together.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Huh. Are they buds with the Guard, too?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Night10194 posted:

Huh. Are they buds with the Guard, too?

Allies of Convenience, they're Battle Brothers with the Eldar too. but everyone else is an ally of convenience, except for the Tyranids. NO ONE will put up with the Tyranids.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Truthfully Coolguye and I had this discussion but it was right as I'd just put the episode update up that he went "Oh yeah that thing you called the 'Ard boy is the Skar Boy" and I was like "NO YOU'RE WRONG gently caress EVERYTHING" and started knocking pens off my desk and stuff like an overexcited kitten so I'll probably fix it when the actual 'Ard Boy turns up (next update).

For what it's worth, you're both right, really. Tabletop wise those orks would be 'Ard Boyz because they wear 'Eavy Armor. I looked up Skarboyz again on the Lexicanum as part of this disagreement, and the article clearly pointed out that Skarboyz are pretty much the exclusive purview of the Goffs clan, and these orks are absolutely not Goffs.

The game still calls them Skarboyz in Exterminatus mode, but there's also a few other massive fails there (ranged Nobz are simply called ranged Nobz, instead of the Flash Gitz they're very clearly modeled after) so I'm settling on the designers kind of screwing it up and you're both right.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Onmi posted:

Allies of Convenience, they're Battle Brothers with the Eldar too. but everyone else is an ally of convenience, except for the Tyranids. NO ONE will put up with the Tyranids.

And the Necron.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Atomikus posted:

And the Necron.

Nope. From what I've read, the new Necrons can and do ally with other people.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Nope. From what I've read, the new Necrons can and do ally with other people.

Old Necron wouldn't, their whole goal was the exterminate every living thing.

New Necron... would. They're a lot more personable now, with official rules for making mixed Necron and Blood Angel forces.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Cradok posted:

New Necron... would. They're a lot more personable now, with official rules for making mixed Necron and Blood Angel forces.

Oh Matt Ward... I'm not gonna get into anything just... Oh Matt Ward.

Emprah
Feb 1, 2014
Last thing I read about the Necrons they were helping kill some Chaos punks in the latest Black Crusade. I guess if you think about it, the C'Tan would have a problem with a bigger eye of terror.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cradok posted:

I... just... what? I know they retconned the Necron but this is completely out of character for everything I've ever read about both the Necrons and the Blood Angels.

Onmi posted:

Oh Matt Ward... I'm not gonna get into anything just... Oh Matt Ward.

How does Ward still have a job?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Newcrons are supposed to be a lot closer to the Khemri of Warhammer Fantasy, which are a lot less implacable than the Oldcrons, who were basically just a zombie apocalypse with really big guns. That was a high-level decision, so I doubt Ward or any other weirdo they have at GW had much to say about that.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Kurieg posted:

I... just... what? I know they retconned the Necron but this is completely out of character for everything I've ever read about both the Necrons and the Blood Angels.

How does Ward still have a job?

You clearly don't know just how much they retconned the Necrons! The new ones are astoundingly out-of-character for everything you've ever read about them.

EDIT: Honestly, I'm actually not sure if I dislike the change. I'm just saying, the change in question is a pretty big one.

Iny fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 24, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Coolguye posted:

Newcrons are supposed to be a lot closer to the Khemri of Warhammer Fantasy, which are a lot less implacable than the Oldcrons, who were basically just a zombie apocalypse with really big guns. That was a high-level decision, so I doubt Ward or any other weirdo they have at GW had much to say about that.

We can still blame him for the Dreadknight though, right?

Iny posted:

You clearly don't know just how much they retconned the Necrons! The new ones are astoundingly out-of-character for everything you've ever read about them.

If that's the case I'm surprised they didn't go full on GW and just have a new faction come in and kill off the necrons in universe forcing everyone to use the new codex and buy new models.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To be honest, I suspect Dawn of War: Dark Crusade was a large part of why the old Necrons were loathed by so many. The Necron codex is the only 40k tabletop book I've ever purchased and almost made me delve into the game - the Necrons were a mysterious eldritch force now beginning to awaken, the ultimate cosmic Order to oppose Chaos, and just as inimical to mortal life. I loved the themes and ideas of the Necrons, but an uninspiring and not very interesting army on the tabletop combined with some very heavy-handed fluff retcons did them no favors. Then Dark Crusade came along and portrayed the Necrons as both overpowered in-game and as generic omnicidal space undead. Given that Dark Crusade is how quite a few people were introduced to Warhammer 40k, this was not a good thing.

And so, the powers that be decided to put the Necron skin on an entirely new and different faction rather than evolve and salvage the idea originally presented like they did with the Tau.

Cradok
Sep 28, 2013

Kurieg posted:

We can still blame him for the Dreadknight though, right?

Dreadknights are fine. Deeply stupid, totally redundant and quite out of keeping with Grey Knight tactics, but relatively inoffensive for all that.

Having Grey Knights use Daemonhosts, on the other hand...

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Necrons in Dark Crusade, at release, were so horribly broken that were pretty much auto-win without requiring anything more than pressing three buttons. Dark Crusade was a glorious train wreck, fun in some ways, painful in others. The worst part of Dawn of War 1 was playing against eldars, it was painful as wrapping your dick in a napkin to gently caress a chainsword. Space elfs ruin everything.

gently caress eldars. Hate eldars, never forgive, never forget.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Iny posted:

EDIT: Honestly, I'm actually not sure if I dislike the change. I'm just saying, the change in question is a pretty big one.

To be fair, the old Necrons would sometimes work with humanity too. There's a pretty good Ultramarines book that goes into that. It's just that usually they ended up flaying anyone stupid enough to think that was going to end well alive. My understanding is those Necron types are still out there. The latest editions just pointed out that there's an equally large number of Tomb Worlds that really just want to be left the hell alone.

Explains why the hell every encounter with Necrons started and ended with "Some humans poked the ancient alien archeotech, and a bunch of Terminator knockoffs murdered everything in retaliation." in earlier books too. Necrons are basically the grumpy old men of the setting, wanting you to get the hell off their lawn.

Only since Warhammer 40K is about as subtle as a nuke to the face, the grouchy old men are billion year old aliens with their souls slaved to mechanical monstrosities that cannot die. And their idea of a lawn extends to planets, or even entire solar systems. And instead of shooing you off their lawn they flay the flesh from your body for trespassing, molecule by molecule. :black101:

gently caress all the haters though. Pretty sure the latest editions were what brought us the increased characterization that allowed for Necrons like Trazyn the Infinite. IE: Trazyn the Troll. Who pretty much seems to get his shits and giggles by hilariously loving with anyone that's stupid enough to invade his domain when he's not scouring the galaxy for relics of interest to him.

I mean, read this poo poo and tell me it isn't hilarious. And keep in mind that he sent this missive to an inquisitor that invaded his home and tried to purge him from existence by ramming a ton of guardsmen down his mechanical throat. :allears:

Trazyn the Infinite posted:

"Dear Lady, let me express my fulsome appreciation for your most generous gift. It is so very rare to discover another of my own kind that appreciates my work, therefore to find understanding amongst a member of another race is nothing short of a revelation. I realise that you briefly trod my galleries, but the fact that you spotted in so short a time that my Acabrius War collection was lacking three regiments of Catachan warriors reveals that you truly have a collector's eye for detail. And to send five regiments! Such generosity will allow me to weed out and replace a few of the more substandard pieces in my collection.

If I might level a minor criticism, the instructions issued to your gift were manifestly not as clear as you thought, as most of them had to be forcibly restrained -- sadly it seems that the lower orders will always behave like an army of invasion, whether that be their purpose or not. However, this is a minor complaint and seems almost churlish under the circumstances, so please allow me to repay your gift with one of my own. Accompanying this message is the Hyperstone Maze, one of a series of Tesseract Labyrinths constructed at the height of the Charnovokh Dynasty. It is a trinket really, only of interest to scholars such as you and I, but I trust you will find it amusing -- assuming you have the wit to escape its clutches, of course."

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 24, 2014

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Tau weapons are much better then Human weapons. I know they hate them but why do they again.

It was my understanding that Imperial plasma could be safe if they just turned the drat thing down a little bit, but they never do that because the imperium views killing poo poo to be more important than the lives of their men. Can't find a source for it now, though.

Also, you claimed that you were going to destroy the biggest gun on the planet. Wouldn't that belong to the titan?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
All I want is for Trazyn to show up in Dawn of War 3, so we could have the ultimate kleptomania duel between him and the Blood Magpies Ravens.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Valgaav posted:

It was my understanding that Imperial plasma could be safe if they just turned the drat thing down a little bit, but they never do that because the imperium views killing poo poo to be more important than the lives of their men. Can't find a source for it now, though.

Also, you claimed that you were going to destroy the biggest gun on the planet. Wouldn't that belong to the titan?

The Titan is big, but that cannon fired shells that were as big as four space marines tied together. I don't think a Warlord Titan has anything that matches that. Maybe an Imperator, but not a Warlord.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What we need is a cannon that shoot space marines.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
What do you call a drop pod then?

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

:e We don't need two pictures of the same thing so i removed mine.

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 24, 2014

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Poil posted:

What we need is a cannon that shoot space marines.

Here you go:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Angry Lobster posted:

Necrons in Dark Crusade, at release, were so horribly broken that were pretty much auto-win without requiring anything more than pressing three buttons. Dark Crusade was a glorious train wreck, fun in some ways, painful in others. The worst part of Dawn of War 1 was playing against eldars, it was painful as wrapping your dick in a napkin to gently caress a chainsword. Space elfs ruin everything.

gently caress eldars. Hate eldars, never forgive, never forget.

Eldar were more broken than Necrons for most of DOW.

What's that, you've got a Squiggoth? Excuse me while I watch 2 cloaking D-Cannon turrets tear it to shreds.

Oh, you've got anti tank infantry, how cute. Fire Prism, activate jumpjets. Oh, you can fire. WHILE IN MID AIR!?

So broken <3

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

InfinityComplex posted:

What do you call a drop pod then?

A cushion.

GilliamYaeger posted:

All I want is for Trazyn to show up in Dawn of War 3, so we could have the ultimate kleptomania duel between him and the Blood Magpies Ravens.

If they made a game focusing on the Blood Ravens racing some orks in a looting contest, I would be the happiest nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cythereal posted:

But they study Necron poo poo all the time. But then again I guess I can't expect the Mechanicus to be reasonable.

• Locked thread