Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sash! posted:

You are arguing for a world were Texas and Alabama are the only teams to ever win a national title ever again.

Depending on who you are a fan of, this doesn't sting as much as you would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

CharlestheHammer posted:

Depending on who you are a fan of, this doesn't sting as much as you would think.
*Scionix nods sagely*

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Relegation Is loving Stupid

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
how the gently caress does it come up in every goddamn thread, just go away already, soccer fans.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Groucho Marxist posted:

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
i wish i could relegate pitchers hitting in baseball to the history books

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Relegation is stupid and the NCAA should just go ahead and give the power conferences their own top division so I can finally free up all my Saturdays.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Incoherence posted:

*Scionix nods sagely*

Laffo like Scionix does anything sagely

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I fail to see a problem with this system.

Same :confused:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

i wish i could relegate pitchers hitting in baseball to the history books

Such a Wrong Opinion.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

Relegation is awesome because it would punish the Indianas of the world for not even trying to win at football while sitting back and cashing their BTN Paychecks. Let's give Northern Illinois or Bowling Green a shot at that money while Indiana finishes fourth in the MAC East.

poo poo, at least Kentucky tries to compete in the SEC.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Korranus posted:

Relegation is stupid and the NCAA should just go ahead and give the power conferences their own top division so I can finally free up all my Saturdays.

Schools like Houston are part of why I'm tentatively kind of excited about this idea (tentatively because I'm worried about the implications it would have for other sports). Right now Iowa State competes against schools like Houston in Texas and UCF in Florida for a lot of 3* and the occasional 4* recruits. If the power conferences broke away and were able to offer full cost of attendance scholarships I think Iowa State would come out ahead in football. We're still not going to win many recruiting battles against the real power schools, but we'd do a lot better against the better non-Big 5 schools.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 25, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Schools like Houston are part of why I'm tentatively kind of excited about this idea (tentatively because I'm worried about the implications it would have for other sports). Right now Iowa State competes against schools like Houston in Texas and UCF in Florida for a lot of 3* and the occasional 4* recruits. If the power conferences broke away and were able to offer full cost of attendance scholarships I think Iowa State would come out ahead in football. We're still not going to win many recruiting battles against the real power schools, but we'd do a lot better against the better non-Big 5 schools.

Spoiler: no one is going to want to play for Iowa State either way.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
What if they want to watch wrestling in the offseason huh.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Detroit_Dogg posted:

What.

So if a kid's dad is dying he shouldn't be able to transfer schools across the country to be closer to him while also continuing to play football?

But if he's graduated it's ok!!! Because grad school is more important to an athlete than his dying family.

The NCAA is so awesome

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Between the hardship transfer rule and the Mitch McGary situation, is Mark Emmert going on another victory lap tour of sports talk radio this morning?

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

Between the hardship transfer rule and the Mitch McGary situation, is Mark Emmert going on another victory lap tour of sports talk radio this morning?

I hope so. May 2014 be the year of #AskEmmert.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
The "Mitch McGary situation" wouldn't be a situation if he just didn't smoke weed during the tournament like a moron.

The rule is still stupid, the penalty especially so but come on now.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Maybe the NCAA should all start smoking weed so they weren't such uptight little twats about everything.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Do they actually release what he tested positive for or is this like when an NFL player "accidentally took a tainted supplement" since the NFL can't release what they actually did.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
In order for relegation to work, we're going to have to go back over a hundred years and change the way sports leagues work in America

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Relegation is awesome because it would punish the Indianas of the world for not even trying to win at football while sitting back and cashing their BTN Paychecks. Let's give Northern Illinois or Bowling Green a shot at that money while Indiana finishes fourth in the MAC East.

poo poo, at least Kentucky tries to compete in the SEC.

Indiana beat Bowling Green last year.

By 32 points.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sash! posted:

Indiana beat Bowling Green last year.

By 32 points.

Spread 2.0 motherfucker

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Anyone have that link where you can look up all time series by team and had all sorts of other stuff? Indiana vs the MAC made me curious.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Anyone have that link where you can look up all time series by team and had all sorts of other stuff? Indiana vs the MAC made me curious.

http://football.stassen.com/records/

That may do the trick for you.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah that works (wow Indiana owns the MAC, I figured they'd have a comfortable winning record but I didn't quite expect 23-6). It isn't the one I'm thinking of though, this one had a page for every team where you could see their all time record against everyone, it was pretty nice.

e: I guess you can do that here too, the other one was just prettier

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Do they actually release what he tested positive for or is this like when an NFL player "accidentally took a tainted supplement" since the NFL can't release what they actually did.

He smoked weed.

A whole year for smoking weed. I believe they're changing this for the upcoming year but still it's so amazingly off key.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah that works (wow Indiana owns the MAC, I figured they'd have a comfortable winning record but I didn't quite expect 23-6). It isn't the one I'm thinking of though, this one had a page for every team where you could see their all time record against everyone, it was pretty nice.

e: I guess you can do that here too, the other one was just prettier

Cfbdatawarehouse I think

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He smoked weed.

A whole year for smoking weed. I believe they're changing this for the upcoming year but still it's so amazingly off key.

Drug policy period is way off key in America. Alcohol is clearly a less dangerous substance than THC because well wait gently caress

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Next year the suspension will be cut in half but the amount needed to test positive is getting cut down to roughly a third of the former amount necessary.

lol

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Pretty good article about how the NCAA started off and the origins of their idea of amateurism.

http://deadspin.com/the-origins-of-amateurism-or-why-college-sports-are-s-1566714902

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

VDay posted:

Pretty good article about how the NCAA started off and the origins of their idea of amateurism.

http://deadspin.com/the-origins-of-amateurism-or-why-college-sports-are-s-1566714902

The actual origin of the NCAA was in a conference called by the Chancellor of NYU at the end of the 1905 season with the intent of banning football entirely. Then West Point showed up at the last minute and went all drill sergeant on them and convinced them to reform the game instead.

Then they realized they didn't have anybody there who actually knew anything about football so as to enact reforms, so they called an even bigger conference and invited 200 schools to it. This second conference evolved into the NCAA.

The article mentions that the NCAA was not inevitable. This is nonsense. College football was in such a state of chaos due to the lack of any national organization that it came very close to being banned outright from colleges.

It was the formation of the NCAA that gave college administrators a reason to keep football around. College football itself would not exist in any organized form without it.

That said, the NCAA itself was indeed a rather ad hoc scramble. I am of the opinion that it has outlived its usefulness and should be replaced by a federally-charted and regulated organization that has actual investigative and legal subpoena power. Many of the underhanded activities in the sport should be made criminal, not just unethical.

The legal issues involved with college football are becoming far too complex for the NCAA to deal with. It needs to be replaced.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

To Catch a Recruiter

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Laffo like Scionix does anything sagely

i suck a mean cock

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Sash! posted:

I refuse to believe there is a limited amount of chicken available in the state of Georgia.

:eng101: Georgia, the #1 chicken state, produces 1/7th of all US chickens. For every American, there are four chickens in Georgia.

I learn everything from TFF these days.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10828351/joe-paterno-honored-new-statue-state-college-pennsylvania

I sincerely hope this is not a real thing that happens.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

It sounds like the statue will be depicting Paterno's life outside of football, which is what he's best known for now anyway. I'm excited to see how they depict Paterno turning a blind eye to rape, in a piece titled "I Didn't Want To Interfere With Anyone's Weekend".

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

It's not being put in by the school.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Heaf posted:

It's not being put in by the school.

It's still really dumb.

Also would yall like a write up on how drug testing and drug information goes on with the NCAA, I think it'd be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It's still really dumb.

Also would yall like a write up on how drug testing and drug information goes on with the NCAA, I think it'd be fun.

I agree on point one; and the second would be very interesting.

• Locked thread