Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

deafmute posted:

Eric Lindros stubbed his toe so many times, why don't they mandate tiny helmets for toes already :smith:

True story: NHL players' main concern about those plastic shells they can get that wrap around the skate is what it'll do to deflections. They'd rather risk a broken foot than risk a weird bounce going into the net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

xzzy posted:

True story: NHL players' main concern about those plastic shells they can get that wrap around the skate is what it'll do to deflections. They'd rather risk a broken foot than risk a weird bounce going into the net.

The NHL - They care about player safety!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Neck guards are too restricting! Half shields make it impossible to see! Helmets are for pussies!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
To be fair the NHL did look a lot cooler when guys didn't wear helmets

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Levitate posted:

To be fair the NHL did look a lot cooler when guys didn't wear helmets

We could go back to that if you really want.. get rid of the hitting, all the hard surfaces, and swap the puck for a ping pong ball.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Rotten Cookies posted:

The NHL - They care about player safety!

I don't know how you get that sentiment out of what you quoted when it's entirely the players decision.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

xzzy posted:

We could go back to that if you really want.. get rid of the hitting, all the hard surfaces, and swap the puck for a ping pong ball.

were there any (or many?) serious/fatal head injuries when hockey had no helmets? If not, why? Some unwritten code of how the game was meant to be played?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Misanthrope posted:

I don't know how you get that sentiment out of what you quoted when it's entirely the players decision.

What? Yeah. I don't get what you're saying?

E: Oh. I didn't mean the NHL company. I meant as a whole, players included. v:shobon:v You know, how players regularly shirk safety equipment and NHL (company) "concerns" about concussions and poo poo. I guess it was kind of worded shittily on my part.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

JawKnee posted:

were there any (or many?) serious/fatal head injuries when hockey had no helmets? If not, why? Some unwritten code of how the game was meant to be played?
There were a ton of serious head injuries. The fatal one I can think of is Bill Masterton who got an award named after him. Howe fractured his skull and was in critical condition early in his career, Ted Green fractured his skull and suffered brain damage and Ace Bailey had his career ended by Eddie Shore.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

JawKnee posted:

Different rules, softer padding, smaller players, slower game, worse physical shape.

You couldn't play todays game without a helmet and expect to survive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Plus, people were ignorant that concussions were a serious thing. The last century was a culture of "as soon as the stars clear, you go play some more."

Who knows how many concussions went undocumented because no one thought it was important.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

There were a ton of serious head injuries. The fatal one I can think of is Bill Masterton who got an award named after him. Howe fractured his skull and was in critical condition early in his career, Ted Green fractured his skull and suffered brain damage and Ace Bailey had his career ended by Eddie Shore.

thanks for the info, I don't know a hell of a lot about old time hockey beyond a few documentaries, I'll have to do some reading.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Also for a sizable chunk of time there were far less slap shots.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

JawKnee posted:

Here's a list of players that died while active with cause of death. In the era with the no forward passing rule it seems likely that it made things generally safer and with ice/skate technology being what it was everyone moved much slower than modern players. Not having hard plastic shell elbow/shoulder pads or composite sticks factored in too.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

JawKnee posted:

Over ~80 years and however many thousands of games of pre-helmet professional hockey there really weren't as many as you might think. The game was slower, players were smaller, shot blocking wasn't so integral to defense, shots were mostly aimed low, body checking (and collisions in general) were a lot less violent. Even watching games from back in the 70s you can see a substantial difference.

Goalies sans-mask however, that went pretty much like you'd think.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

burf posted:

I keep seeing twitter stuff about the Blues possibly wanting Spezza, and while it seems to make sense for both teams I can't find any sources for it outside of hockey writer wishful thinking

Though if Spezza's getting traded I'd way rather see Kadri coming back while Jason finally "goes home" to Torannah :getin:

On the one hand, I'm terrified of the return Murray gets on Spezza, as there's no possible way the player(s) coming back can provide anything near what he could provide. Plus if he's gone, Hemsky's probably gonna gently caress off as well

On the other hand, I would like to get rid of him before his back problems get even worse. What would the Blues even trade for a guy like Spezza? I'm assuming Murray wants a top-4 D

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

deafmute posted:

Here's a list of players that died while active with cause of death. In the era with the no forward passing rule it seems likely that it made things generally safer and with ice/skate technology being what it was everyone moved much slower than modern players. Not having hard plastic shell elbow/shoulder pads or composite sticks factored in too.

i wonder how many of those drowning deaths were actually concussion influenced suicides

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

...The fatal one I can think of is Bill Masterton who got an award named after him...

monthly reminder that the one player who couldn't possibly come back from his injury (death) has an award named after him that's typically given to a player who comes back from serious injury

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

The Dirty Burger posted:

On the one hand, I'm terrified of the return Murray gets on Spezza, as there's no possible way the player(s) coming back can provide anything near what he could provide. Plus if he's gone, Hemsky's probably gonna gently caress off as well

On the other hand, I would like to get rid of him before his back problems get even worse. What would the Blues even trade for a guy like Spezza? I'm assuming Murray wants a top-4 D
Ray Ferraro was talking about a potential trade package of Shattenkirk and Berglund for Eberle so I guess something around that.

Zamboni Jesus posted:

i wonder how many of those drowning deaths were actually concussion influenced suicides
Thinking about all the deaths that could be directly or indirectly attributed to things that happened while playing is depressing.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

whatis posted:

monthly reminder that the one player who couldn't possibly come back from his injury (death) has an award named after him that's typically given to a player who comes back from serious injury

Dom Moore should win it for coming back from his wife's death

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"McCourt played his entire, brief career with Cornwall Hockey Club of the Federal Amateur Hockey League (FAHL)"

Acronyms that would not work in 2014.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Levitate posted:

Dom Moore should win it for coming back from his wife's death
The ESPN e:60 segment they did about him was really good :smith:

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!

Good lord. :(

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

deafmute posted:

Ray Ferraro was talking about a potential trade package of Shattenkirk and Berglund for Eberle so I guess something around that.

that would be a terrible trade for the blues

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Zamboni Jesus posted:

that would be a terrible trade for the blues
It could work out better than the Perron trade did for them in theory :ohdear:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

deafmute posted:

It could work out better than the Perron trade did for them in theory :ohdear:

The Blues need to hire someone to monitor Doug Armstrong's phone calls and hang up for him whenever they notice he's discussing a trade with another GM. They'd win the cup within 2 years.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The worst impact mandatory helmets had on the NHL was the slow destruction of beautiful hockey hair (for the most part). What's the point if you can't have your locks dancing behind your head as you fly down the wing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mike_V posted:

The worst impact mandatory helmets had on the NHL was the slow destruction of beautiful hockey hair (for the most part). What's the point if you can't have your locks dancing behind your head as you fly down the wing?

Hockey players adapted, they just grow the hair out the sides or long in the back.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Hockey players adapted, they just grow the hair out the sides or long in the back.

I've loved seeing the 2003 Alfie muppet look being adopted by a new generation of stars like Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
@Hope_Smoke: MacLean "I spoke to a player on that Capitals team & he told me Ovechkin comes to the weight room does curls and then walks out"
@Hope_Smoke: Kypreos "Gretzky would surround Ovechkin with 3 or 4 high character guys who would embarrass Ovechkin into being better"

good lord I hope Leonsis doesn't buy into this kind of garbage.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

VJeff posted:

@Hope_Smoke: MacLean "I spoke to a player on that Capitals team & he told me Ovechkin comes to the weight room does curls and then walks out"
@Hope_Smoke: Kypreos "Gretzky would surround Ovechkin with 3 or 4 high character guys who would embarrass Ovechkin into being better"

curls for the girls :frogc00l:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah I bet an international superstar just does curls yet is still able to perform at a high level 100+ times a calendar year and lead the league in goal scoring.

I read that as "a Caps player told me something stupid to see if I would actually report it"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

canuckanese posted:

Yeah I bet an international superstar just does curls yet is still able to perform at a high level 100+ times a calendar year and lead the league in goal scoring.

I read that as "a Caps player told me something stupid to see if I would actually report it"

Don't you get it he's only that good because of all THE RUSSIAN COMMUNIST STEROIDS :supaburn:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Yes, because Ovechkin isn't strong enough for todays NHL (he's actually on record saying he avoids doing too much weight training and focuses more on leg and carido work because he doesn't want to get any bulkier).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Quick, someone delete Ovechkin's youtube subscription to BroScienceLife.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Doug MacLean is best known as the GM who made you really appreciate Scott Howson, and yet he was still a better GM than he is an analyst.

Ovechkin has loving gigantic tree trunk legs so he must be doing some fancy curls. I've also never heard of anyone seriously question Ovechkin's conditioning, partly because it's the dumbest criticism of any sports person I may have ever heard in my life.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Apparently Jay Beagle is a really hard worker in the gym. He also sucks at hockey. So kudos to Ovechkin for figuring out that working out too much will make him like Jay Beagle and saying "no thanks".

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

yeah alex ovechkin should act more like notorious gym rats david clarkson and david booth. david ovechkin. that's the key

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gunjin posted:

Yes, because Ovechkin isn't strong enough for todays NHL (he's actually on record saying he avoids doing too much weight training and focuses more on leg and carido work because he doesn't want to get any bulkier).

Hockey conditioning is super interesting if you dig into it. There's certainly a lot of mumbo jumbo out there if you don't look out for it but if you dig up things written by trainers who work for actual NHL teams it's completely unintuitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

VJeff posted:

wayne gretzky was well-known for his conditioning and physical strength

also his excellent results as a coach and gm

• Locked thread