Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

prefect posted:

No one? Not even Donald Trump? Let's not get carried away with the hyperbole.

I had to ponder this.

Nope still going with Sterling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doltos posted:

I hope all this leads to a dispersion draft and the Knicks somehow get Griffin
Or the Sixers really if you think about I mean

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Marketing New Brain posted:

I'm actually a little surprised the players aren't just sitting out until Sterling is removed from any relevant position (I'm aware it will take longer than that to force him to sell).
Because they already talked about this with Coach Rivers and Kevin Johnson and quickly decided it was a no-go? NBA players don't compete in the playoffs for the honor of the team owner, and none of these guys wanted to throw away the chance at a dream they've been working toward since they were small children because their owner was a cock; they decided they're in it for themselves.

Tombstone
Nov 2, 2001

Always look on the bright side of life.

AsInHowe posted:

Many of Paul and Griffin's ads feature them in Clippers uniforms and logos.

Except for the All-Star game clips, he is always wearing a red jacket that only says Griffin on it. I could see them not using clips of him in a Clippers uniform, but they aren't going to drop the players themselves from contracts.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

AsInHowe posted:

Many of Paul and Griffin's ads feature them in Clippers uniforms and logos.
I'm thinking that you don't watch much basketball or basketball advertisements.

none of Blake Griffin's current advertisements feature the Clippers logo and State Farm has already said that they will continue supporting Chris Paul.

You're being real dumb

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

Because they already talked about this with Coach Rivers and Kevin Johnson and quickly decided it was a no-go? NBA players don't compete in the playoffs for the honor of the team owner, and none of these guys wanted to throw away the chance at a dream they've been working toward since they were small children because their owner was a cock; they decided they're in it for themselves.

I think the Clippers will wear red jerseys tomorrow, as those feature LOS ANGELES across the front instead of CLIPPERS. Those wouldn't match Golden State's blue jerseys either.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tombstone posted:

Except for the All-Star game clips, he is always wearing a red jacket that only says Griffin on it. I could see them not using clips of him in a Clippers uniform, but they aren't going to drop the players themselves from contracts.
They will be digitally altered so he's playing for the CLAPPERS

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

mynameisjohn posted:

none of Blake Griffin's current advertisements feature the Clippers logo.

And Chris Paul's only ad that features the Clippers colors prominently is the argyle shoe one which will probably stop airing soon anyways since it was a limited edition

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The Clippers are considering having a player speak to the crowd before tomorrow's game to clear the air or whatever.

No word yet on what Sterling is planning to do.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

mynameisjohn posted:

none of Blake Griffin's current advertisements feature the Clippers logo and State Farm has already said that they will continue supporting Chris Paul.

You're being real dumb

Careful John just breathe. It's all going to be ok maybe

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It's times like this that I wish my owner was a terrible racist and also recorded himself frequently

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Any sort of confirmation on the story about more tapes?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Doltos posted:

It's times like this that I wish my owner was a terrible racist and also recorded himself frequently
Become a fan of an Eastern European soccer team.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Doltos posted:

Dolan records himself plenty, have you not seen the CDs available in the shop at MSG

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

Dolan records himself plenty, have you not seen the CDs available in the shop at MSG
Okay now dub the Donald Sterling audio recordings over that smooth James Dolan jazz and you've got a winner.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Deadspin is leaking portions of the NBA's constitution that might allow them to punish Sterling.

http://deadspin.com/heres-the-secret-nba-rule-that-could-oust-donald-sterli-1568842613

The passage only refers to players, but they've got lawyers looking over the entire thing (which they hope to publish in its entirety later this week).

Crazy Ted posted:

Okay now dub the Donald Sterling audio recordings over that smooth James Dolan jazz and you've got a winner.

I think we've got the backing track to Donald Sterling's Adult Storytime. Someone alert Olbermann.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

I think we've got the backing track to Donald Sterling's Adult Storytime. Someone alert Olbermann.
Before I was thinking you could get Bob Barker to do voice work on those court transcripts. I'll regroup and say that I'll bet just about anything that you could get William Shatner to do it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Crazy Ted posted:

James Dolan plays the blues. Donald Sterling plays the blacks.

Both are themed around lamenting things that surround you in life.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lockback posted:

Aww, that sucks. I was hoping you both were at Wake at the same time and he stole your girlfriend or something. Not that I was wishing for your emotional pain or anything, but those kinds of stories are always awesome. Not the sexual assault stories.

We WERE at Wake together, but actually I didn't know Jeff at all personally, though I did know other guys on the team. Funnily enough I'm closer to the current team than the ones I was in school with. Sorry my story wasn't awesome/hilarious.

However :lol: at Donald Trump, and AsInHowe, stop being a dummy.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The Trump response is just the first wave of dumb partisan backlash you're going to get over Obama dropping in on the conversation. Although Trump's also got a few horses in the whole culture-that-insulates-socially-degenerate-billionaires race himself so he's not a neutral party.

If you spin the JD & The Straight Shot CDs backwards you can hear James Dolan bemoaning his city's pivotal role in waging the war of northern aggression.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

FYI for anyone who read/heard Sterling's wife and her vehement denial of being a racist: during the lawsuits about housing discrimination, it came out that she had falsely posed as a government "health inspector" in order to gain access to tenants' apartments so that she could do things like record their ethnicity and family size.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

thompson posted:

Careful John just breathe. It's all going to be ok maybe
im sperging so hard

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

Before I was thinking you could get Bob Barker to do voice work on those court transcripts. I'll regroup and say that I'll bet just about anything that you could get William Shatner to do it.

Shatner is a guy who is always available. Always.

Also, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is angry about how angry everyone is getting.

http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/

quote:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Welcome to the Finger-Wagging Olympics

It's time to look at ourselves — and our collective moral outrage — in the mirror, says former NBA player Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Moral outrage is exhausting. And dangerous. The whole country has gotten a severe case of carpal tunnel syndrome from the newest popular sport of Extreme Finger Wagging. Not to mention the neck strain from Olympic tryouts for Morally Superior Head Shaking. All over the latest in a long line of rich white celebrities to come out of the racist closet. (Was it only a couple days ago that Cliven Bundy said blacks would be better off picking cotton as slaves? And only last June Paula Deen admitted using the “N” word?)

Yes, I’m angry, too, but not just about the sins of Donald Sterling. I’ve got a list. But let’s start with Sterling. I used to work for him, back in 2000 when I coached for the Clippers for three months. He was congenial, even inviting me to his daughter’s wedding. Nothing happened or was said to indicate he suffered from IPMS (Irritable Plantation Master Syndrome). Since then, a lot has been revealed about Sterling’s business practices:

2006: U.S. Dept. of Justice sued Sterling for housing discrimination. Allegedly, he said, “Black tenants smell and attract vermin.”
2009: He reportedly paid $2.73 million in a Justice Dept. suit alleging he discriminated against blacks, Hispanics, and families with children in his rentals. (He also had to pay an additional nearly $5 million in attorneys fees and costs due to his counsel’s “sometimes outrageous conduct.”)
2009: Clippers executive (and one of the greatest NBA players in history) sued for employment discrimination based on age and race.

And now the poor guy’s girlfriend (undoubtedly ex-girlfriend now) is on tape cajoling him into revealing his racism. Man, what a winding road she led him down to get all of that out. She was like a sexy nanny playing “pin the fried chicken on the Sambo.” She blindfolded him and spun him around until he was just blathering all sorts of incoherent racist sound bites that had the news media peeing themselves with glee.

They caught big game on a slow news day, so they put his head on a pike, dubbed him Lord of the Flies, and danced around him whooping.

Shouldn’t we be equally angered by the fact that his private, intimate conversation was taped and then leaked to the media? Didn’t we just call to task the NSA for intruding into American citizen’s privacy in such an un-American way? Although the impact is similar to Mitt Romney’s comments that were secretly taped, the difference is that Romney was giving a public speech. The making and release of this tape is so sleazy that just listening to it makes me feel like an accomplice to the crime. We didn’t steal the cake but we’re all gorging ourselves on it.

Make no mistake: Donald Sterling is the villain of this story. But he’s just a handmaiden to the bigger evil. In our quest for social justice, we shouldn’t lose sight that racism is the true enemy. He’s just another jerk with more money than brains.

So, if we’re all going to be outraged, let’s be outraged that we weren’t more outraged when his racism was first evident.
Let’s be outraged that private conversations between people in an intimate relationship are recorded and publicly played. Let’s be outraged that whoever did the betraying will probably get a book deal, a sitcom, trade recipes with Hoda and Kathie Lee, and soon appear on Celebrity Apprentice and Dancing with the Stars.

First off, there's only one winner of the Finger-Wagging Olympics, Kareem, and that's Dikembe Mutombo

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I went back and looked because I was deceived by his red jumpsuits in the KIA commercials into thinking he was in Clippers gear but it's just a red and white Griffin outfit.

The Nike/Jordan commercials are all in Air Jordan gear. State Farm also plays on the red and white thing for Chris Paul but yeah no Clippers.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

First off, there's only one winner of the Finger-Wagging Olympics, Kareem, and that's Dikembe Mutombo

what in the gently caress

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Asian Oprah posted:

I went back and looked because I was deceived by his red jumpsuits in the KIA commercials into thinking he was in Clippers gear but it's just a red and white Griffin outfit.

The Nike/Jordan commercials are all in Air Jordan gear. State Farm also plays on the red and white thing for Chris Paul but yeah no Clippers.

As someone who mainly follows the NBA via DVR'd games, highlights, and certain writers, I did not know that.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

AsInHowe posted:

It's a confused way of stating it but I figure "it's bullshit that this bullshit wasn't a big deal already" is probably a legitimate way to feel.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Asian Oprah posted:

It's a confused way of stating it but I figure "it's bullshit that this bullshit wasn't a big deal already" is probably a legitimate way to feel.
But it's Kareem so you know he had to write it like an autist.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Asian Oprah posted:

People were angry about Sterling for a long time, but it never went viral until now. People were angry about a lot of things for a while, until one flashpoint turned public outrage their way. That's life.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
I really wish there was a way we could just make him sell, but man his silence is making me fear he'll just take this team to the grave.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah, but how does he feel about the HBO Series Girls?

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

AsInHowe posted:

As someone who mainly follows the NBA via DVR'd games, highlights, and certain writers, I did not know that.
Yet, you seemed to be p.sure that they were decked in Clippers gear during endorsements.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

thompson posted:

I really wish there was a way we could just make him sell, but man his silence is making me fear he'll just take this team to the grave.

His silence makes me kind of think he's going to pull a Dan Snyder, and make the next game as much about him and his greatness as possible.

Game 5 is NAACP Lifetime Achievement Award Winner Donald T. Sterling Night, everyone. Come early and celebrate beloved non-racist Donald Sterling! Free white hoodies to the first 5,000 fans!

Miko posted:

Yet, you seemed to be p.sure that they were decked in Clippers gear during endorsements.

Every other league's ads have players in team jerseys in the ads, if the company has a relationship with both the team and player. Unless they had prior reservations about the Clippers brand, I assumed they'd include some basketball footage.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

AsInHowe posted:

He makes good points even though it comes off weird.

Basically he's just saying that everyone becoming morally outraged is tiring and that privately taping someone in order to expose them to the world is unsettling. He also wishes people got outraged the first time Sterling was exposed as a scumbag racist instead of sitting on it until it festered over again. And finally, he thinks that exposing and denouncing a scumbag racist won't do much towards combating racism. That idea was reflected earlier in this thread when john said that Sterling is an 81 year old dude who doesn't give a poo poo.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

AsInHowe posted:

People were angry about Sterling for a long time, but it never went viral until now. People were angry about a lot of things for a while, until one flashpoint turned public outrage their way. That's life.

I agree, it's not a particularly productive point. But it's not like he's saying nothing should be done about Sterling, just saying it ought to have happened earlier and he reserves the right to be annoyed that it didn't.

Crazy Ted posted:

But it's Kareem so you know he had to write it like an autist.

Bet he wishes he'd practiced public speaking instead of that lame ol' skyhook :nyd:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Asian Oprah posted:

Bet he wishes he'd practiced public speaking instead of that lame ol' skyhook :nyd:
Dude so weird he had to change his name to feel comfortable in his own skin

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Seriously, who could possibly be editing that to somehow keep in the phrase "She was like a sexy nanny playing 'pin the fried chicken on the Sambo.'" How could that possibly get published in any context?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

That doesn't even make any sense, it's just racist gobbledegook

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Declan MacManus posted:

It's nonsensical racism, the kind of racism that Kareem wants us to be retroactively angry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

"pin the fried chicken on the sambo" sounds like it would have been a blast at kkk picnics

• Locked thread