Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thompson
Jun 6, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

There was a hockey player who got in trouble for signing his insert cards with a rubber stamp

Devante Smith-pelley aka stamps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

theacox posted:

Some people assume that players don't always sign all their own autos.

I think that's a reasonable assumption. What ballplayer wants to sit down and sign 399 cards or stickers when they can be out carousing and cavorting, while having one of their groupies do it for them?

Upper Deck used to (still does?) put statements on their auto cards like the following: "This certificate expressly warrants the authenticity of the depicted athlete's signature." Since we know Upper Deck is a cut above the other companies with their ethics, I have no doubt I'm getting a genuine signature when I buy their products. :rolleyes:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Anton Chigurh posted:

I think that's a reasonable assumption. What ballplayer wants to sit down and sign 399 cards or stickers when they can be out carousing and cavorting, while having one of their groupies do it for them?

Especially when the numbers are more like multiple thousands for each player.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Anton Chigurh posted:

Upper Deck used to (still does?) put statements on their auto cards like the following: "This certificate expressly warrants the authenticity of the depicted athlete's signature." Since we know Upper Deck is a cut above the other companies with their ethics, I have no doubt I'm getting a genuine signature when I buy their products. :rolleyes:

You mean to tell me that the Pedroia auto I got from 2013 Topps Five Star that's #d to 333 might be fake, even though Topps pledges to bring me closer to the game and has representatives on-hand to verify the authenticity of statements made on Topps cards?

Color me surprised.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

theacox posted:

Especially when the numbers are more like multiple thousands for each player.

Yeah, I have wondered what the totals are for the popular signers. I shudder to think how many things a guy like Nolan Ryan has signed in his lifetime. He signs everything.

I think if I had to sign stuff and wanted to be honest about it, my signature would probably end up looking as quickly dashed off as this (Russell Wilson):

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I figured they just got bored while signing an endless pile of cards so they started messing around with their signature. It's probably more likely they have their assistant do them all because writing is so hard.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Anton Chigurh posted:

I think if I had to sign stuff and wanted to be honest about it, my signature would probably end up looking as quickly dashed off as this (Russell Wilson):

My signature is already about that lazy, and I have basically nothing at all to sign.

Wasn't there some guy on the cover of a Madden game that said he hauled around a massive tub full of cards everywhere he went just so he could get them all signed?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Guys that do that though are only hurting themselves in the long run, though. Companies will stop paying them for signatures, authenticators won't give PSAs for crudely scribbled single-letters because anyone could have done them, and then their signature has no value.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I doubt guys who make tens of millions of dollars a year care whether their signature is worth $5 or $50.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

MondayHotDog posted:

I doubt guys who make tens of millions of dollars a year care whether their signature is worth $5 or $50.

The worst signatures out there are the ones in the rookie and draft pick sets

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MondayHotDog posted:

You would be surprised to learn that they do, for whatever reason....

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

ElwoodCuse posted:

The worst signatures out there are the ones in the rookie and draft pick sets

That's true, I guess. This is my Brett Gardner auto, signed at a game when he was in double A, at least according to the guy I bought it from.

Ashekaban
Aug 30, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

You would be surprised to learn that they do, for whatever reason....

I know in the hockey world there are a few players who do collect, and take pride in their signatures. Some guys just enjoy knowing some kids might get joy out of the autographs they may never get.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ashekaban posted:

I know in the hockey world there are a few players who do collect, and take pride in their signatures. Some guys just enjoy knowing some kids might get joy out of the autographs they may never get.

Scott Hartnell buys and collects his own cards.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
On the baseball side, I know Brad Ziegler collects, Pat Neshek may or may not collect, but has had interaction with collectors and is generally known as very cool. Also, Dmitri Young had a very high end graded collection that was auctioned off last year.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I remember years ago that Phil Hughes had an account on the Beckett Boards and would post pictures of him signing stuff and how it all worked. It was really cool and a neat look at stuff before it came out.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

theacox posted:

On the baseball side, I know Brad Ziegler collects, Pat Neshek may or may not collect, but has had interaction with collectors and is generally known as very cool. Also, Dmitri Young had a very high end graded collection that was auctioned off last year.
Neshek does collect stuff. There was an article about his collection projects recently in the St. Louis Dispatch. He just finished a signed set of 1985 Topps, I believe.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pat Neshek is awesome. https://www.eteamz.com/PatNeshek/news/index.cfm?cat=242699

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Neshek is cool because he maintains his own PO Box for TTM. Easy for a fringe guy to do, I doubt he gets flooded, but I like the gesture.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
The topps gypsy queen retail blasters have arrived at my WalMart. Nice looking cards, and I've pulled a hit out if each box I've bought. (12 bux for 8 packs) I got a dual auto relic in one box and a relic card in the other. There was also a pack full of hall of famers like babe Ruth, Hank Aaron etc

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

joebuddah posted:

The topps gypsy queen retail blasters have arrived at my WalMart. Nice looking cards, and I've pulled a hit out if each box I've bought. (12 bux for 8 packs) I got a dual auto relic in one box and a relic card in the other. There was also a pack full of hall of famers like babe Ruth, Hank Aaron etc

The story I've heard is that Topps cut back on 2014 Gypsy Queen production, but the front loaded retail (vs. hobby) with a lot of hits this year. So far that has been my experience after three blasters.

Also, $12 per blaster is a heck of a deal on new product. They're $20 at my local Target stores, and they're still almost sold out of Gypsy Queen at that price. Many blasters of 2014 Heritage just sit there though, it doesn't seem to be nearly as popular or loaded this year.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
I'm a little worried that this guy might murder my family.

Pretty sure that's a mug shot on a baseball card.

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

I have to return some video tapes

theacox posted:

I'm a little worried that this guy might murder my family.

Pretty sure that's a mug shot on a baseball card.

That's just his "don't call me Ronald" face.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He pitches in the Red Sox system now.

Also yesterday I got an autograph through the mail I sent to Tim Salmon in 2005 returned back to me.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Also yesterday I got an autograph through the mail I sent to Tim Salmon in 2005 returned back to me.

Dang! Maybe there's hope yet that I get my Bonds card back from 2001. Naw.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Man, I've moved approximately 97 times since 2005.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

IMB posted:

Man, I've moved approximately 97 times since 2005.
The only reason I got it back is because it was addressed to my parents' house. I've had several different addresses since college, and I'm sure plenty of old returns have gone to those and ended up in the trash over the years.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Joined a 100 case 2014 Bowman group break (that's right 100 loving cases, 50 hobby, 50 jumbo) on blowoutcards.com. Had a couple low $ spots and didn't get anything super exciting, but they randomed 8 loose boxes and a jumbo case after the break amongst the participants. I won the jumbo case!!! So excited right now!

psychosockmonkee
Jan 31, 2010

I have to return some video tapes

theacox posted:

Joined a 100 case 2014 Bowman group break (that's right 100 loving cases, 50 hobby, 50 jumbo) on blowoutcards.com. Had a couple low $ spots and didn't get anything super exciting, but they randomed 8 loose boxes and a jumbo case after the break amongst the participants. I won the jumbo case!!! So excited right now!

Wow...that has to take awhile.

Also, holy crap that's awesome. Congrats and enjoy!

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

psychosockmonkee posted:

Wow...that has to take awhile.

Also, holy crap that's awesome. Congrats and enjoy!

Thanks man. In case you guys were wondering, they kept track at groupbreakchecklists.com right here http://groupbreakchecklists.com/?page_id=8442 for this specific break. It's really interesting to see what was hit in 100 cases for a release like this.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

theacox posted:

Outstanding! I hope you'll share the results of your jumbo case with the thread, I love reading about what people pull from their breaks.

I couple of weeks ago I bought and opened my first case, from 2012 Topps Archives. I was just hoping to pull a Bryce Harper RC, or perhaps the Yu Darvish RC auto. I ended up getting both, nearly paying for the case with just those two cards.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
I'm Australian and thus never grew up with Baseball cards at all so I know next to nothing about them, other than its something that I may be interested in getting into after reading through this thread. I really don't know where to start COLLECTING though, other than apparently Topps is the only company that has the MLB license and to avoid Upper Deck. What would be a good way to start, just buy an Opening Day 2014 Blaster? Is it possible to buy complete sets of just a single team or do you have to do it the hard way and trudge through box after box?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Krigen posted:

I'm Australian and thus never grew up with Baseball cards at all so I know next to nothing about them, other than its something that I may be interested in getting into after reading through this thread. I really don't know where to start COLLECTING though, other than apparently Topps is the only company that has the MLB license and to avoid Upper Deck. What would be a good way to start, just buy an Opening Day 2014 Blaster? Is it possible to buy complete sets of just a single team or do you have to do it the hard way and trudge through box after box?

Krigen posted:

Find out what you like. Go to the aforementioned blowoutcards.com and look at the box breaks and for sale forums to get an idea of what products are out there.

Want to have sets of your team from each base set released? Go for it.

Want to break boxes to make full sets? Go for it.

Want to collect a certain player or set of players and all their parallel cards? Go for it.

Want to collect autographs - guys on your team, prospects, HOFers, anything you can get your hands on? Go for it.

There's no right way to collect, learn what's out there then seek out and buy what you want.

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
Thanks for the advice! After browsing around there for a while I'm definitely drawn more to the higher-end, premium boxed stuff like signed cards, balls and game used memorabilia so that's probably the path I'll go down. I had no idea that this sort of thing existed, I thought it was all Topps and such. A smaller collection of higher-end items sounds more manageable than dozens of binders full of cards laying around.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
As someone first getting into the hobby, I recommend Allen and Ginter. It is more of a binder full of cards, but it's a set that looks great and has fantastic autographs and relics, some coming from outside of baseball. This year's set isn't out yet, but for example, last year had autographs from Henry Rollins, Pele, Nick Saban, and a whole lot of other non-baseball people. Last year's relics include a loving DNA sample from JFK, a patch from the grassy knoll, and patches of clothing from random celebrities

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

That actually looks really cool and going by last years set, very reasonably priced. I'll keep my eye out for it, thanks! :)

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
A&G is also great because it has weird random inserts like an evolutionary history of mankind, a baseball card that immortalizes the revolving door and minis dedicated to the naval ships of the US Civil War.

Are they going to do a mystery again this year? I've never tried a run at figuring one out, but the accounts of those that have managed to crack the code are quite entertaining.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack
Two hours ago, a friend of mine texted me a photo of the 2014 Bowman Jose Abreu mini superfractor... Wondering if I should kill him for trolling me, or if I should kill him and sell the card to pay off my student loans...

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

The Machinima Man posted:

Two hours ago, a friend of mine texted me a photo of the 2014 Bowman Jose Abreu mini superfractor... Wondering if I should kill him for trolling me, or if I should kill him and sell the card to pay off my student loans...
Kill him for trolling... and then sell. :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

theacox posted:

Kill him for trolling... and then sell. :devil:

Just got off the phone with him, a friend of his ripped it. They know it's worth "a poo poo-ton" of money, but when I mentioned the regular size version was up on eBay for $7,500, he lost his mind.

Still not sure if it's for real, but it couldn't hurt to be straight about it. I told him it could sell for $15k to $20k, but his first step should be to get it graded. Then look into high-end auctions once it's graded...

I Am Frick fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 21, 2014

• Locked thread