Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
Having listened to the audio finally, I am little surprised because I think Sterling is on record as having said worse and more explicit things than this before.

He obviously comes across poorly because he is basically saying "don't be seen with black people because it makes you look low class and that is just how the world sees it and I don't care to change hearts and minds on this," but the girlfriend keeps trying to put words in his mouth and he doesn't really ever bite.

I was expecting nbombs and bare vitriol based on the media response.

TMZ scoops are a very strong catalyst for social reactions to things, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Send the Clippers to the D-League.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
ProBasketball Talk but welp

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/29/report-doc-rivers-wont-work-for-donald-sterling-anymore

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Having listened to the audio finally, I am little surprised because I think Sterling is on record as having said worse and more explicit things than this before.

He obviously comes across poorly because he is basically saying "don't be seen with black people because it makes you look low class and that is just how the world sees it and I don't care to change hearts and minds on this," but the girlfriend keeps trying to put words in his mouth and he doesn't really ever bite.

I was expecting nbombs and bare vitriol based on the media response.

TMZ scoops are a very strong catalyst for social reactions to things, apparently.

He's said and done much worse, but this time it's all about the timing.

If the Clippers weren't good this probably wouldn't be as big of a story, if It wasn't the playoffs it wouldn't have been as big, Twitter wasn't as promienent or didn't exist back when he was doing worse stuff.

Mostly he's now the owner of the best team in LA, and his team is super visible now compared to when they were essentially a JV team.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 29, 2014

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I'm feeling sorry for the front office, staff and especially the players. Finally they're within an once in a lifetime chance of reaching the title if not this year then the next three years and this had to blow up on them all from pretty much unrelated actors to the title. Oh well.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They should just vote to swap the Clippers and Timberwolves. Problem solved.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

sportsgenius86 posted:

They should just vote to swap the owners of the Clippers and Timberwolves. Problem solved.

Fixed.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

to be honest it would kind of own if there was a white supremacist owner who dressed like Colonel Sanders and would only field a team of white shooters who are scrappy dunk props like Adolph Rupp.

Imagine Blake Griffin tipslamming on hatred and bigotry.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I'm feeling sorry for the front office, staff and especially the players. Finally they're within an once in a lifetime chance of reaching the title if not this year then the next three years and this had to blow up on them all from pretty much unrelated actors to the title. Oh well.

Front Office sure, Players sure. I don't feel sorry for Doc Rivers, He definitely knew what he was getting into. He has seen first hand the poo poo that Sterling believes and does. It sucks that he has to deal with it, and I completely understand wanting to leave in order to not deal with it, but he knew he was playing with fire, he just didn't expect it to explode in his face.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

mynameisjohn posted:

to be honest it would kind of own if there was a white supremacist owner who dressed like Colonel Sanders and would only field a team of white shooters who are scrappy dunk props like Adolph Rupp.

Imagine Blake Griffin tipslamming on hatred and bigotry.

so the Wisconsin Badgers with an owner

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

poopzilla posted:

I was gonna try and make some lame Ron-Ron is Lennie joke and then i found this

heh neat

e: insert Sterling as lennie, idk

Hmmm. Nope.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

This is a big departure from previous Daft Punk albums

Is it going to be full of remixes of Sterling's phone calls?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bomani Jones is a rad dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6bLKe9-Mto

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Didn't see this posted yet. Simmons tweeted this earlier. Take it as you will, looking forward to 2pm:

1. Hearing Adam Silver is dropping the nukes on Donald Sterling today. Everything short of a big mushroom cloud shaped like the NBA logo.

2. Only problem - Sterling loves courtrooms, he has no shame, he's not self-aware, he's comically stubborn + he might just decide to fight.

3. Stealth asset NBA has going for it: Sponsors dropping out + local TV deal going away + players/coaches/fans vowing to leave or stay away.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Not really anything new other than it sounds like Silver will actually do something.

Forgot about TV rights, seems like that's a pretty good money maker.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Rocks posted:

Didn't see this posted yet. Simmons tweeted this earlier. Take it as you will, looking forward to 2pm:

1. Hearing Adam Silver is dropping the nukes on Donald Sterling today. Everything short of a big mushroom cloud shaped like the NBA logo.

2. Only problem - Sterling loves courtrooms, he has no shame, he's not self-aware, he's comically stubborn + he might just decide to fight.

3. Stealth asset NBA has going for it: Sponsors dropping out + local TV deal going away + players/coaches/fans vowing to leave or stay away.

Adam Silver might be solidifying his place as the best commissioner in sports today.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Adam Silver might be solidifying his place as the best commissioner in sports today.

such great heights, etc.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

sportsgenius86 posted:

such great heights, etc.

It's a win by default, but a win is a win.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AsInHowe posted:

That bar is so low it's practically embedded in the dirt.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rocks posted:

#2 is the big issue. Sterling looooves going to court, he's very similar to Al Davis is that regard. And he's burn-my-own-house-down stubborn, too - I seem to remember a time where he lost a court case and had to share X% of one of his building's revenue with someone, and he let it sit vacant for years rather than rent it out.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I mean he was already the best Commissioner in sports, by default.

Goodel, Bettman(:stonk:), Selig

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
it's probably selig, honestly.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MourningView posted:

it's probably selig, honestly.

I really hate Bud Selig.

poopzilla
Nov 23, 2004

This is really good. Bomani laying it down

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dexo posted:

I really hate Bud Selig.

He is a tremendous doofus in a lot of ways but has also done a lot of stuff that's been good for the game. It's not a very high bar to clear.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The fact that Silver has really not done much probably makes him #1, but Selig did add in the play-in Wildcard so

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Adam Silver has stupid ears and his number one priority as commissioner is the stupid age limit so gently caress that dweeb.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

FMguru posted:

#2 is the big issue. Sterling looooves going to court, he's very similar to Al Davis is that regard. And he's burn-my-own-house-down stubborn, too - I seem to remember a time where he lost a court case and had to share X% of one of his building's revenue with someone, and he let it sit vacant for years rather than rent it out.

That's not the only problem. The political environment (and by extension the opinions of the people in the USA) is pretty devisive right now. Trying to forcibly separate a man from a billion dollar asset that he owns because he said some racist poo poo could lead to a lot of "PUNISHMENT OF A SOVEREIGN CITIZEN FOR THOUGHT CRIMES? ONLY IN OWEBUNGLE'S AMERICA!" type punditry and hurt the league overall. Let us not forget that a large portion of the country is Ma and Pa Kettle types buying a KD jersey for their grandson. It could backfire on the NBA and alienate a lot of fans.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The politcal environment is not so bad that people in great enough numbers to actually hurt the league are going to side with Sterling and boycott the product as a result, particularly since I would guess most virulent racists are probably not big fans of a league that is like 80% black. And I still doubt they take the team away, they'll just give him a huge suspension and fine. He could be indirectly forced to sell by losing sponsors and TV money, but I don't think they can say "you aren't allowed to own the team anymore and we're taking it"

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 29, 2014

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
If he forces a sale I'm going to loving get so drunk tonight in celebration.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Does anyone know if there will be a stream of this pressor?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

thompson posted:

Does anyone know if there will be a stream of this pressor?
there will be

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

mynameisjohn posted:

there will be

I'm legitimately a bit butterflyey. I really hope this is the end of Sterling.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MourningView posted:

Adam Silver has stupid ears and his number one priority as commissioner is the stupid age limit so gently caress that dweeb.
But its really important for these kids to learn swahili for 3 years

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah, don't worry about not being able to watch/listen to the presser. Probably every news outlet in the US will be carrying it, especially sports news. Just find a sports radio station and it'll be on there.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

thompson posted:

I'm legitimately a bit butterflyey. I really hope this is the end of Sterling.

I think it's gonna be the beginning of the end. I think the NBA will basically ban him, and Sterling will make a public rear end of himself to drag his heels over it.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BigBoss posted:

That's not the only problem. The political environment (and by extension the opinions of the people in the USA) is pretty devisive right now. Trying to forcibly separate a man from a billion dollar asset that he owns because he said some racist poo poo could lead to a lot of "PUNISHMENT OF A SOVEREIGN CITIZEN FOR THOUGHT CRIMES? ONLY IN OWEBUNGLE'S AMERICA!" type punditry and hurt the league overall. Let us not forget that a large portion of the country is Ma and Pa Kettle types buying a KD jersey for their grandson. It could backfire on the NBA and alienate a lot of fans.

The NBA is an entertainment organization so there are financial reasons to give him the boot, not specifically for thought crimes. And the financial reason being that NBA image and viewership will suffer if it is seen as not doing anything and by extension tolerating Sterling's views. Someone probably has an excel spreadsheet that shows how much money the NBA could lose if they did nothing about Sterling.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

This could be the best (or worst) day in the history of the Clippers.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

mynameisjohn posted:

This could be the best (or worst) day in the history of the Clippers.

Yeah I get that feeling as well.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
This'll probably drag out forever but yes it would be satisfying to see the hammer brought down on Sterling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It's pointless to speculate......BUT LETS DO IT ANYWAYS. What type of fine are we looking at. Didn't the NBA fine an owner something like 500k during the last labor dispute for talking about some stuff going on? Should we not expect something in like a 10 million dollar fine? The dude is a billionaire.

• Locked thread