Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mirthless posted:

I don't know if you can still be righteously indignant when you are inventing a reason to get offended. "He is surrounded by anti-trans people, so his work is inherently anti-trans" is a pretty loving stupid thing to say and there are better reasons to hate McCoy. How about "Any of his hundreds of other strips that are actually intended to be offensive".

Admit it. You're Glenn McCoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 30, 2014

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Names.

It seems to me that's what the vast majority of people think when they hear "legally changed", particularly in the context of jokes :shrug:.

It seems like people near universally agree that changing one's name is perfectly reasonable, so it would not even register to them that it's rife for comic potential.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

chairface posted:

Pine cones would be unpleasant to have shoved up one's rear end. Reagan is in Hell having pinecones shoved up his rear end forever. That's all there is to it.

So a person with severe mental issues is being punished for actions he didn't fully understand or appreciate? I had no idea that God was Texan.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lightanchor posted:

It seems like people near universally agree that changing one's name is perfectly reasonable, so it would not even register to them that it's rife for comic potential.

Jokes that aren't political cartoons tend to be jokes, not editorial statements. You're not obligated to make a socially relevant commentary in a joke you put on an American Greetings card.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It... seems pretty likely that's about transgendered people. Just catching up on the thread from a few hours ago, and no other possibility even occurred to me until people in the thread started flipping their poo poo about that interpretation for some reason. I have no idea how you get a joke out of that if it isn't about transgendered people.

Unfortunately, reverse google imaging the stupid thing gets no useful hits, so the only way of checking on the creator's original intent would involve poop-touching.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

This is a black person

this is a monkey

And this is you if you think they're the same thing !

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

A rackt pod?

Did anything prompt this, or is this reference almost two decades old?

People are dead

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

chairface posted:

Pine cones would be unpleasant to have shoved up one's rear end.

Speak for yourself boy-o!!

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Exclamation Marx posted:

This is a black person

this is a monkey

I do have to give credit to Latuff for being one of the few critics of Obama who doesn't draw him in a racist as gently caress manner. I never thought about it until seeing this comic, but it's honestly kind of a refreshing realization that there's at least one political cartoonist who doesn't have racial animus tied into his opposition of the President.

Vartiter
Nov 15, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

It... seems pretty likely that's about transgendered people. Just catching up on the thread from a few hours ago, and no other possibility even occurred to me until people in the thread started flipping their poo poo about that interpretation for some reason. I have no idea how you get a joke out of that if it isn't about transgendered people.

Unfortunately, reverse google imaging the stupid thing gets no useful hits, so the only way of checking on the creator's original intent would involve poop-touching.

This argument seems centered on intent, which is odd to me. It's entirely possible to say something transphobic/homophobic/racist without intending it to be. It happens. Even if I accept that it wasn't his intention, that doesn't make it suddenly not transphobic. It just means Glenn McCoy is dumb (news at 11).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

cafel posted:

I do have to give credit to Latuff for being one of the few critics of Obama who doesn't draw him in a racist as gently caress manner. I never thought about it until seeing this comic, but it's honestly kind of a refreshing realization that there's at least one political cartoonist who doesn't have racial animus tied into his opposition of the President.

That's not Obama you racist.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
I'm not claiming the comic is out and out transphobic. I'm saying the only way it makes sense to me is if there's currently something in society where people 'legally change their x' that's potentially silly because (sometimes) you can't really change your x. Maybe if lots of people were renaming themselves Megazone, that's what McCoy could be riffing on. But for the life of me it seems only changing gender fits the bill.

If I made a comic where a character says, "I've got it! I'm going to Mogadishu!" you would think it only makes sense against the background of some people up and going to other countries for some reason.

cafel posted:

Which one do you think is Obama, hmm???

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

SedanChair posted:

That's not Obama you racist.

Ummm... Yeah, I know. I meant Latuff's depictions of Obama in general. Unless that's :thejoke:, sometimes it's hard to tell with you.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Exclamation Marx posted:

This is a black person

this is a monkey

Democrats are the Real Racists. A Bad Cartoon.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lightanchor posted:

Yes, so what we have is a person doing a logical everyday thing except altered so as to be ridiculous. This dissonance is seen as comical, inducing feelings of elation often called humor.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
^^ Jesus Christ please just stop ^^

Lightanchor posted:

I'm not claiming the comic is out and out transphobic. I'm saying the only way it makes sense to me is if there's currently something in society where people 'legally change their x' that's potentially silly because (sometimes) you can't really change your x. Maybe if lots of people were renaming themselves Megazone, that's what McCoy could be riffing on. But for the life of me it seems only changing gender fits the bill.

If I made a comic where a character says, "I've got it! I'm going to Mogadishu!" you would think it only makes sense against the background of some people up and going to other countries for some reason.

Holy poo poo nobody cares.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

carry on then posted:

Hey, with widespread computers it's easy to convert Obamas to Hitlers anyway.

Lycus posted:

Isn't it 1:1? Using a Raller, that is.

Not My Leg posted:

You forget that Obama also has drones, so he is extra Hitler. I think the conversion is Hitler * 3/5 + 44 = Obama.

This sequence is amazing and I'm happy I had something to do with starting it.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

^^ Jesus Christ please just stop ^^

Holy poo poo nobody cares.

Clearly a lot of people do care or this conversation would be over by now!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Did anything prompt this, or is this reference almost two decades old?

Georgia calls itself the Peach State, and peaches by themselves aren't particularly good shots.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Exclamation Marx posted:

This is a black person

this is a monkey

Pretty certain it's about Daniel Alves.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Lightanchor posted:

It seems more like the joke is, basically, "har har old people", but it's a joke that relies on the idea that people legally changing things that are supposed to be immutable (like gender) is ridiculous. Sort of like you might have seen a "haw haw women are bad at driving amirite" joke on a greeting card forty years ago (or yesterday, but please don't post one of those for me). It's not intended to score political points against women (or transgendered people in the modern example), it just assumes you agree that they're ridiculous in order to make the joke.

Also, the dude who renamed himself Megazone totally married someone I knew in high school.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
McCoy's Razor: Among competing hypotheses, the least charitable should be selected.
It's never served me wrong.

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

Also, the dude who renamed himself Megazone totally married someone I knew in high school.

Did she take his name?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ThirdPartyView posted:

Pretty certain it's about Daniel Alves.

Makes sense, I don't think Latuff has ever used the Thomas Nast American party mascots, when he refers to Americans its always either Uncle Sam or Obama taking a poo poo on the middle east or getting their asses kicked by the ghost of Hugo Chavez or something. This just has the controversial message of "racists are jackasses".

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Small Frozen Thing posted:

McCoy's Razor: Among competing hypotheses, the least charitable should be selected.
It's never served me wrong.

In the legal profession, it's called a rebuttable presumption.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Lightanchor posted:

Did she take his name?

No, she didn't. Which, really, strikes me as a missed opportunity.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Acknowledging the existence of more than one political party in any country that isn't Brazil (or Venezuela, recently) is a little bit more nuance than Latuff can usually handle, yeah.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mirthless posted:

Jokes that aren't political cartoons tend to be jokes, not editorial statements. You're not obligated to make a socially relevant commentary in a joke you put on an American Greetings card.

We believe you, Glenn. Just like when your brother totally didn't draw Sandra Fluke.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Please don't resort to that, claiming someone is one of the McCoys is one step removed from hate speech.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Please don't resort to that, claiming someone is one of the McCoys is one step removed from hate speech.

Don't McCoy shame, shitlord.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I think Mirthless knows I'm just kidding ;) :love:

Really I just wanted an excuse to post the Gary McCoy desperate "No that's not Sandra Fluke and I'll beat you up" rant

Also this one

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Jagchosis posted:

Makes sense, I don't think Latuff has ever used the Thomas Nast American party mascots, when he refers to Americans its always either Uncle Sam or Obama taking a poo poo on the middle east or getting their asses kicked by the ghost of Hugo Chavez or something. This just has the controversial message of "racists are jackasses".

Also he usually tailors the language he uses to the audience :v:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

I think Mirthless knows I'm just kidding ;) :love:

Really I just wanted an excuse to post the Gary McCoy desperate "No that's not Sandra Fluke and I'll beat you up" rant

Also this one

"Don't be hateist, dude, I can't help that I was born a shithead."

-Glenn McCoy AKA Mirthless, April 2014

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

idonotlikepeas posted:

No, she didn't. Which, really, strikes me as a missed opportunity.

Wait is this the same Megazone who wrote a lot of terrible internet fanfiction I read a mockery of when I was a kid?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

loquacius posted:

"Remember, everyone, racism will go away by itself if we just stop talking about it! Right? Right!"

But but but Morgan Freeman saaaaaaid

thus stop talking about it!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

But but but Morgan Freeman saaaaaaid

thus stop talking about it!

Well if everyone stops talking about race as a thing and we all stop caring about it at all, sure, that stops... one part of racism, I guess. The effects of institutionalized racism (lots of black people being poor, mostly) are still around though!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Who is this wax man made out of wax

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Your Friend posted:

"Hakeem Jeffries posted:

Despite having a Muslim first name, he is a Baptist.

You're a loving moron, Muir. You know that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Your Friend posted:

"Hate Crime Reporting Act of 2014 - Directs the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) to update a report for Congress concerning the role of telecommunications in the commission of hate crimes.

Requires such report to include: (1) an analysis of the use of telecommunications (including the Internet, broadcast television and radio, cable television, public access television, commercial mobile services, and other electronic media) to advocate and encourage violent acts and the commission of hate crimes as specified in the Hate Crime Statistics Act; (2) NTIA recommendations; and (3) updates concerning the role of telecommunications in crimes of hate and violent acts against ethnic, religious, and racial minorities."

hmm yes how sharia-ish

• Locked thread