Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Mormon temples get a lot less impressive when you find out they're often built using the exact same floor plans and contractors:

Boise and Johannesburg

Bogota and Mount Timpanogos

The most recent push to build temples (which are never used for regular worship services) has economized even more by pushing an identical blueprint to over 40 different locations

Spokane

Oaxaca

Montreal

Perth

And on and on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sair
May 11, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I had no idea scientology used what's basically a christian cross for their logo, the "religion" has absolutely nothing to do with Christianity. Is that just marketing to have it easier accepted by Christians?

Actually that raises the question: can you be a scientologist and a christian? Do they view it more of a philosophy where people of any faith can, in addition, be a scientologist, or does it become the primary and only "faith" the person has?

One of their recruitment tactics is to first convince people the two are compatible, then working to move them away from their old church.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Paper With Lines posted:

Why are there so many pages of churches itt?

Nobody cares, heathen :smug:

Divine Mercy Sanctuary in Krakow, Poland:

It's a really strange looking church in my opinion, but I still really like the look of it. A shot of the altar:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Unitarian church on Oahu, aka Obama's Marxist indoctrination camp

Mormon temples are beautiful. Hawaii is beautiful. Put em together.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What are these places? The first picture is beautiful and the building in the second is spectacular.

The first one is a park by landscape architect Lawrence Halprin in Seattle. It spans a highway and is pretty cool. He did a lot of work in the 70's 80's and 90's. Some of his parks have been shut down lately though due to safety concerns.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 30, 2014

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Still on church chat?

Saurbæjarkirkja - Iceland. Built in 1858 according to wikipedia.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music

DrProsek posted:

It's a really strange looking church in my opinion, but I still really like the look of it. A shot of the altar:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

All this talk of Mormon temples and ya'll are missing the best one.

Cardston, Alberta.

Here's a bunch of Brigham Young's wives.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
When the germans settled in southern Indiana they brought some bigass churches with them.

Monastery of Immaculate Conception, Ferdinand

Saint Meinrad Archabbey, Saint Meinrad

Both of those are built in towns of around 200 and 30 people, respectively. Pretty sure Saint Meinrad's School is bigger than the town it sits in.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Mormon church in Ulan Bator Mongolia. These fuckers are notorious for offering "free English lessons" and locking people in to be proselytized at for however long.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

I was just thinking that.

The San Xavier Mission, on the San Xavier reservation near Tucson. Was 2006 when I visited it, and still under some restoration. In that part of the country, surviving 18th century construction is unusually ancient.

It was Christmas when I was visiting. The simple little seasonal decorations made a great reminder that it was an active community church and not just a sterile historic site.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Iconography beats architecture

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

"The 19th century remains of chivalrous concepts i.e. protection of women and children, of the weak, the elderly and the innocent" :laffo: What is this revisionist shite.

Church of Saint George, Lalibela, Ethiopia

Cathedral of Our Lady Mary of Zion, Axum, Ethiopia, ordered to be built by Haile Selassie

The Chapel of the Tablet, located on the grounds of the above. Tradition holds that it houses the Ark of the Covenant. You can't go inside.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So there was an article on Buzzfeed today about a gay Republican 20-something running for office in Idaho (spoilers: he's a terrible gay).

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gideonresnick/idahos-first-openly-gay-candidate-says-his-conservative-view

quote:

Around the time of his announcement, Gelsomino spoke publicly and gave conditional support to the “Add the Words” initiative in Idaho, which would amend the Idaho Human Rights Act to include specific protections for LGBT Idahoans. Idaho is one of 29 states in which an individual can be legally fired based on sexual orientation. Gelsomino, a devout Catholic, didn’t support adding protections for LGBT people because religious institutions wouldn't be exempted.

“As much as the gay community would like to have its rights respected, religious institutions would like to have their rights respected as well,” Gelsomino told BuzzFeed. “If they disagree with the lifestyle of the gay community, it’s their First Amendment right to do so.”

Some Idaho GOP candidates directly affiliated with Gelsomino are opposed to issues like same-sex marriage. Republican State Sen. Russ Fulcher, a candidate for governor to whom Gelsomino has referred as a mentor and father figure, argued to institute a statewide same-sex marriage ban in 2006 and has worked to deny domestic same-sex partnership benefits.

The reason I'm posting this here is because I think he's the college Republican meme kid plus 5 or 10 years.

Compare:

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Hope no one minds a modern mega church in suburban America - Prestonwood Baptist of Plano, Texas. I grew up in a neighboring suburb.

First one is older before the construction finished on all phases

texaholic fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 1, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
A final reminder that D&D's "switch Obama and Putin" Photoshop contest for $35 ends tomorrow!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627572

JoelJoel

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sair posted:

One of their recruitment tactics is to first convince people the two are compatible, then working to move them away from their old church.

What the gently caress is a gowrow? The only real Arkansas monster is the White River Monster.

There's even a state preserve for it.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Modest Mao posted:

I went to a Unitarian Universalist church and it was the poo poo

Each year you study a different religion, typically tought by someone who follows/followed it and you get to go to their place of worship (cathedral, mosque, temple, friendship house) a few times.

This is from a few pages back but, that's really cool! How did the mosque thing work, I thought non-Muslims couldn't enter? Or is that just the more conservative side?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Alex DeLarge posted:

This is from a few pages back but, that's really cool! How did the mosque thing work, I thought non-Muslims couldn't enter? Or is that just the more conservative side?

Most mosques allow non-believers into certain areas. Are you thinking of Mecca or something? Also post a picture.

This is the Red Mosque in Kuala Lumpur. You can enter it if you're dressed appropriately. If you're not they'll give you something to wear.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Church-chat eh?

Late 17th century Finnish Lutheran Church:

It's used mostly in summers, where it is a popular wedding place.
Inside is mostly modern replicas as it was used as a fishermans shed in the 19th century.:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Stained glass window at the Offutt Air Force Base chapel. Offutt used to be the headquarters of the Strategic Air Command (the guys who handled nuclear bombers and missiles).

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

From the historical record that we have it's far more likely that Washington was a stoner than a fascist, and Washington wasn't a stoner.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

texaholic posted:

Hope no one minds a modern mega church in suburban America - Prestonwood Baptist of Plano, Texas. I grew up in a neighboring suburb.

I see your Dallas bapto-dome and raise you Houston's Lakewood Church. A former basketball stadium. The religion is nondenominational Pentecostal/charismatic Christianity. In other words New Age "prosperity gospel."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh_VkrHSlZg&t=130s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Now here's Wat Phra Dhammakaya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWZK8gY8_0g

Foreign Policy mag:

quote:

Picture this: millions of followers gathering around a central shrine that looks like a giant UFO in elaborately choreographed Nuremberg-style rallies; missionary outposts in 31 countries from Germany to the Democratic Republic of the Congo; an evangelist vision that seeks to promote a "world morality restoration project"; and a V-Star program that encourages hundreds of thousands of children to improve "positive moral behavior." Although the Bangkok-based Dhammakaya movement dons saffron robes, not brown shirts, its flamboyant ceremonies have become increasingly bold displays of power for this cult-like Buddhist group that was founded in the 1970s, ironically, as a reform movement opposed to the excesses of organized religion in Thailand.

Yet, despite the pageantry, the inner workings of this fast-growing movement are little known to Thailand's general public, and certainly to the rest of the world, though its teachings loom large among the legions of devotees. The veil of secrecy parted briefly in late 1999, when two top Dhammakaya leaders were charged with embezzlement in what many considered a political ploy to suppress the temple's growing power. The charges were dismissed in 2006 after the former abbot and a colleague returned some land and nearly 1 billion baht ($32 million) to temple control.

[...]

The gold-topped Cetiya temple is the center of the Dhammakaya's expanding global meditation movement and the focal point of ceremonies. The dome is actually composed of 300,000 identical titanium- and gold-coated bronze statues of Buddha -- another 700,000 are nestled inside a temple that even devotees will admit looks like a UFO. Some call it "The Mothership." Estimates have placed the value of the temple complex at around $1 billion.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
This is the Glory Church of Christ in Los angeles.

It's better know for it's previous years when it was the venue where many of LA's hardcore bands got their start in the early 80's and for hosting the boxing during the 1932 Olympics.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Old New Synagogue, home of the Golem of Prague

elia
Oct 30, 2008

texaholic posted:

I live close to the almighty Baptitron. It's hell on traffic.

For Dallas churches, I'm a fan of the Chapel of Thanks-Giving downtown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanks-Giving_Square

Thanks-Giving Square is a peaceful place to sit outside for lunch.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007
I went on holiday to Austria and the church in the village looked pretty cool:

...Then we had a quick look inside and it looked like THIS

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Mayor Dave posted:

Mormon temples get a lot less impressive when you find out they're often built using the exact same floor plans and contractors:

The most recent push to build temples (which are never used for regular worship services) has economized even more by pushing an identical blueprint to over 40 different locations

Yeah, that's why I didn't want to post anything past Salt Lake City. However, the new temple in Provo is inside the old tabernacle, so it should look pretty nice.

All the pictures I've seen of temple interiors involve a lot of white, pink, and gold. Does the Celestial Kingdom look like 1987?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Omi-Polari posted:

Mega-church
Those people, and the people from Texaholic's Baptodrome post should be ashamed of themselves, but you know they aren't.

Temple Shaarey Zedek in Southfield, MI. Just Northwest of Detroit, these pictures don't really do the building justice. It's absolutely massive, and looks like the prow of a ship coming straight at you when you pass by on 696.

CroatianAlzheimers fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 1, 2014

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
:ussr:I seize this thread in the name of the glorious worker.:ussr:

Your decadent church chat is counterrevolutionary. Fear not, comrades, you will be sent to the appropriate reeducation camp to unlearn your capitalist programming.

You will be fed a delicious meal by Soviet Chef Boyardee

And music by Comrade Stalin

Long live brave noble Comrade Goku

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Alex DeLarge posted:

You must be thinking of Mecca. I've been to a number of mosques in both the US and Asia (mostly Sunni but one Shia in Texas) and never had any issues. The only exception was an Ahmadiyya ("heretical" sect) mosque in Texas where I asked a traffic-guard outside about attending when services were letting out, and he replied "ummm, they'd probably rather you didn't, this is just for them." Most religions with any proselytizing bent (which is most Islamic movements) are pretty eager for unbelievers to drop by and check it out. I once brought three Muslims to a Church of Christ service in Austin (very conservative branch, no musical instruments allowed) and the congregation was really thrilled to have them there and exposed to "the Truth". Even served them Communion, since for most Protestants the Communion is symbolic and not mystical-magical-flesh/blood, so apparently the church figured it'd do no harm to have Muslims try it out.

Churchchat aside, here's troops of the 15th Scottish Division in Kranenburg in February 1945.

For non-TFR goons, that's a Bren Gun, a British LMG based on a gat designed in the Czech city of Brno and produced by Enfield factory. Distinctive for having a top-loaded magazine.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 1, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Rand alPaul posted:

:ussr:I seize this thread in the name of the glorious worker.:ussr:

Your decadent church chat is counterrevolutionary. Fear not, comrades, you will be sent to the appropriate reeducation camp to unlearn your capitalist programming.

You will be fed a delicious meal by Soviet Chef Boyardee

And music by Comrade Stalin

Long live brave noble Comrade Goku

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The glorious worker uniting against the Kulaks.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
here's a nice church

here's another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glKbRmOmB9M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

• Locked thread