Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
His name and face is punchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

got me thinking about sexy cougars which raised my horny levels quite a bit so im going to have rate this thread a 1

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
"Hey man I don't need to check my privilege my father and grandfather worked hard so that I don't have to do poo poo."

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever some stupid tranny or my minority tells me to check my privilege, i don't get mad and write a 5000 page essay for the internet. I just pump this poo poo from my gold iphone 5s, hop in my Benz and laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rnFlQAvk8U

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This kid has more Jew Entitlement than White Entitlement

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

ladyboy pancake posted:

all forms of privilege/oppression are rooted in how much your features and attributes happen to resemble or differ from the small group of people who are wealth enough to get whatever they want and anyone who is not as wealthy is as equally under those people's boots no matter how much illusion of superiority they have. Everyone in Princeton is goddam rich and deserves no sympathy or respect.

Human males are hunters, so it makes sense they would have little to no empathy and base moral judgements on physical appearance instead, ie, "This doesn't look like me, I can kill it and eat it"

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Like most people, whenever I meet someone I do extensive research on their family tree and then am prejudiced against them if their grandma had it rough

Seems pretty clear that this kid aint privileged

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
Am I supposed to read all this you loving idiot

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

How's it like being a fat blob?

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Attention Whore posted:

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/17230/

He’s 20, he’s white, and he’s a freshman at Princeton University.

According to the ethnic and feminist studies college students and professors who frequently and vehemently complain that this country is steeped in racism and sexism and is only fair and just and equal for white, heterosexual males – he is the poster child for so-called “White Privilege.”

His name is Tal Fortgang, and just eight months into his Ivy League experience, he’s been told on numerous occasions to “check his privilege” – a phrase that has taken social media social justice campaigning by storm.

It is meant to remind white, heterosexual males that they have it so good because they’re white, heterosexual males. They haven’t faced tough times, they don’t know what it’s like to be judged by the color of their skin.

Oh, but they do.

Those sick of being labeled are the very same ones doing it to others, and Tal Fortgang has a powerful message for them:

There is a phrase that floats around college campuses, Princeton being no exception, that threatens to strike down opinions without regard for their merits, but rather solely on the basis of the person that voiced them. “Check your privilege,” the saying goes, and I have been reprimanded by it several times this year. The phrase, handed down by my moral superiors, descends recklessly, like an Obama-sanctioned drone, and aims laser-like at my pinkish-peach complexion, my maleness, and the nerve I displayed in offering an opinion rooted in a personal Weltanschauung. “Check your privilege,” they tell me in a command that teeters between an imposition to actually explore how I got where I am, and a reminder that I ought to feel personally apologetic because white males seem to pull most of the strings in the world.

I do not accuse those who “check” me and my perspective of overt racism, although the phrase, which assumes that simply because I belong to a certain ethnic group I should be judged collectively with it, toes that line. But I do condemn them for diminishing everything I have personally accomplished, all the hard work I have done in my life, and for ascribing all the fruit I reap not to the seeds I sow but to some invisible patron saint of white maleness who places it out for me before I even arrive. Furthermore, I condemn them for casting the equal protection clause, indeed the very idea of a meritocracy, as a myth, and for declaring that we are all governed by invisible forces (some would call them “stigmas” or “societal norms”), that our nation runs on racist and sexist conspiracies. Forget “you didn’t build that;” check your privilege and realize that nothing you have accomplished is real.

But they can’t be telling me that everything I’ve done with my life can be credited to the racist patriarchy holding my hand throughout my years of education and eventually guiding me into Princeton. Even that is too extreme. So to find out what they are saying, I decided to take their advice. I actually went and checked the origins of my privileged existence, to empathize with those whose underdog stories I can’t possibly comprehend. I have unearthed some examples of the privilege with which my family was blessed, and now I think I better understand those who assure me that skin color allowed my family and I to flourish today.

Perhaps it’s the privilege my grandfather and his brother had to flee their home as teenagers when the Nazis invaded Poland, leaving their mother and five younger siblings behind, running and running until they reached a Displaced Persons camp in Siberia, where they would do years of hard labor in the bitter cold until World War II ended. Maybe it was the privilege my grandfather had of taking on the local Rabbi’s work in that DP camp, telling him that the spiritual leader shouldn’t do hard work, but should save his energy to pass Jewish tradition along to those who might survive. Perhaps it was the privilege my great-grandmother and those five great-aunts and uncles I never knew had of being shot into an open grave outside their hometown. Maybe that’s my privilege.

Or maybe it’s the privilege my grandmother had of spending weeks upon weeks on a death march through Polish forests in subzero temperatures, one of just a handful to survive, only to be put in Bergen-Belsen concentration camp where she would have died but for the Allied forces who liberated her and helped her regain her health when her weight dwindled to barely 80 pounds.

Perhaps my privilege is that those two resilient individuals came to America with no money and no English, obtained citizenship, learned the language and met each other; that my grandfather started a humble wicker basket business with nothing but long hours, an idea, and an iron will—to paraphrase the man I never met: “I escaped Hitler. Some business troubles are going to ruin me?” Maybe my privilege is that they worked hard enough to raise four children, and to send them to Jewish day school and eventually City College.

Perhaps it was my privilege that my own father worked hard enough in City College to earn a spot at a top graduate school, got a good job, and for 25 years got up well before the crack of dawn, sacrificing precious time he wanted to spend with those he valued most—his wife and kids—to earn that living. I can say with certainty there was no legacy involved in any of his accomplishments. The wicker business just isn’t that influential. Now would you say that we’ve been really privileged? That our success has been gift-wrapped?

That’s the problem with calling someone out for the “privilege” which you assume has defined their narrative. You don’t know what their struggles have been, what they may have gone through to be where they are. Assuming they’ve benefitted from “power systems” or other conspiratorial imaginary institutions denies them credit for all they’ve done, things of which you may not even conceive. You don’t know whose father died defending your freedom. You don’t know whose mother escaped oppression. You don’t know who conquered their demons, or may still conquering them now.

The truth is, though, that I have been exceptionally privileged in my life, albeit not in the way any detractors would have it.

It has been my distinct privilege that my grandparents came to America. First, that there was a place at all that would take them from the ruins of Europe. And second, that such a place was one where they could legally enter, learn the language, and acclimate to a society that ultimately allowed them to flourish.

It was their privilege to come to a country that grants equal protection under the law to its citizens, that cares not about religion or race, but the content of your character.

It was my privilege that my grandfather was blessed with resolve and an entrepreneurial spirit, and that he was lucky enough to come to the place where he could realize the dream of giving his children a better life than he had.

But far more important for me than his attributes was the legacy he sought to pass along, which forms the basis of what detractors call my “privilege,” but which actually should be praised as one of altruism and self-sacrifice. Those who came before us suffered for the sake of giving us a better life. When we similarly sacrifice for our descendents by caring for the planet, it’s called “environmentalism,” and is applauded. But when we do it by passing along property and a set of values, it’s called “privilege.” (And when we do it by raising questions about our crippling national debt, we’re called Tea Party radicals.) Such sacrifice of any form shouldn’t be scorned, but admired.

My exploration did yield some results. I recognize that it was my parents’ privilege and now my own that there is such a thing as an American dream which is attainable even for a penniless Jewish immigrant.

I am privileged that values like faith and education were passed along to me. My grandparents played an active role in my parents’ education, and some of my earliest memories included learning the Hebrew alphabet with my Dad. It’s been made clear to me that education begins in the home, and the importance of parents’ involvement with their kids’ education—from mathematics to morality—cannot be overstated. It’s not a matter of white or black, male or female or any other division which we seek, but a matter of the values we pass along, the legacy we leave, that perpetuates “privilege.” And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Behind every success, large or small, there is a story, and it isn’t always told by sex or skin color. My appearance certainly doesn’t tell the whole story, and to assume that it does and that I should apologize for it is insulting. While I haven’t done everything for myself up to this point in my life, someone sacrificed themselves so that I can lead a better life. But that is a legacy I am proud of.

I have checked my privilege. And I apologize for nothing.

Unironically agree with this. Check your privilege is antithetical to discussion.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

fits my needs posted:

who gives a poo poo. kill all white people.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Scrolling past that john galt speech over and over meant i had the misfortune to actually read a line or two and my favorite is

some big baby posted:

“We have granted you everything you demanded of us, we who had always been the givers, but have only now understood it. We have no demands to present to you, no terms to bargain about, no compromise to reach. You have nothing to offer us. We do not need you.

derp de derp i have literally never heard of the concept of labor, i will run all operations and machines based on sheer strength of will

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gaunab posted:

How's it like being a fat blob?

Feels good.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wait doesn't the holocaust card trump the priviledge card?

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!
I am not saying I want all colored people to die but if they all died tomorrow, the world wouldn't be any worse off.

naem
May 29, 2011

"Which Friends character are you most like?" I ask my date. I'm a witty guy who uses humour as a disarming mechanism (and, some might say, as a tool to masking my crippling insecurity), so I'd most likely be Chandler. But I'm smart like a scientist, so I could also be Ross. Finally, I'm klutzy and adorable--just like a Golden Retriever--so there are certainly hints of Joey inside of me. "I'm basically Chandler, Ross, and Joey." I loudly proclaim this fact, because confidence is an aphrodisiac.

Every six months, Staples performs an employee review on me and gives me anywhere between a $0.30 and $0.50 raise. This last review, my "upsells" were so high that the manager bumped me up $0.65. The trick is to target older customers and mislead them on their purchases. Thus, it only took me seven weeks to afford a pair of Toto elevator shoes, which added five more inches to my height. The problem is that the shoes don't do much once you sit down, so I've also been growing my hair out and using Axe molding clay to stand it straight up, which adds several more inches. All-in-all, I'm pretty close to my goal of adding another foot to my height.

Women love it.

"These are really great breadsticks," I complement the breadsticks. I keep eating them because, hey, free food. "Nom nom nom...hah!" She doesn't get it.

Actually, I can't help but notice that my date sits a little straighter (and therefore higher) than me. As I try to fit an entire breadstick into my mouth and chew it without also biting my tongue, I carefully eyeball the top of her head. She follows my eyes and touches her hair. "What?" she asks.

I squint and chew harder. Louder. Faster. I lean in. She smells like...cinnamon? No, nutmeg. It's hard to tell. My nose is stuffed up so I have to keep my mouth open while I chew. I suddenly imagine the ball of bread rolling around in my mouth like a load of dirty laundry and it makes me want to throw up.

"I'll be right back," I jump up from my seat and jog to the restroom. When I get there, inspiration strikes me like a bolt of divine lightning. "Eureka!" I start balling up paper towels and stuffing them into the back of my pants--I think I fit half of a roll down there. Then I waddle back to the table and quietly take a seat.

She looks mildly shocked. Or perturbed? I don't know, women are hard to read. "Are you...are you alright?" she asks.

"Who? Me? Yeah. Of course." My rear end crunches softly on stiff brown paper towels while I use her forehead as a ruler and try to estimate the height that they have added to my position. Maybe an inch--not bad, not bad. I lean forward. "Do you think there's a difference between, like...anime and manga?"

Suddenly a sharp pain hits my stomach. The breadsticks. They're interacting with the pot of lukewarm coffee I drank earlier. I wince as I feel a burning sensation running through my intestines like a G-scale model train. An "uh oh..." escapes my lips before I can stop it at the proverbial gates. I don't think I'm going to make it to the bathroom. But the paper towels. "...spaghettiooooos..." I force a smile.

I imagine a beleaguered General Adama facing down a whole Cylon army with nothing but a handful of fighters and flak guns. He meditates on the coming battle before finally saying, Alright, here goes nothing, Colonel Tigh. I close my eyes, hesitantly relax my rear end, and immediately feel a warm burbling rise up between my legs, just like I sat down in a pool of sun-baked mud or bread dough. The sensation persists for what feels like an eternity--the duration of which I am entirely silent. When it ends--mercifully--I let out a soft sigh.

When I open my eyes, I realize something very strange: I have risen another inch or so and am now looking slightly downward at my date. It is the most shocking and beautiful thing I could ever conceive of.

They say, "When god closes a door, he opens a window." I don't believe in god, but if I did, I'd swear he was with me that day.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

Yaldabaoth posted:

Human males are hunters, so it makes sense they would have little to no empathy and base moral judgements on physical appearance instead, ie, "This doesn't look like me, I can kill it and eat it"

Evolutionary psychology is really stupid but also humans would not have survived if they relied on their hunting prowess so it is even more unlikely that prejudice is related to ancient people's inefficient hunting expeditions.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
tal fortgang is like the alternate universe version of tane orb dad

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
should've figured it was a whiny jew

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
jews are the ultimate shape-shifters. white when then wanna be, "other" when they need to be.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

"white people don't have to deal w/ racism"

"how dare you!!! i had a hard life too!!! i'm 1/32% cherokee!!!"

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Feminition posted:

anyone who actually believes this has never set foot in an urban black ghetto. (fortunately i only go there to buy drugs lol - but still, racism against whites is alive and well)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

pathetic little tramp posted:

collest thing white people ever did was the turner diaries, we should do a let's read of it

it's a p fun romp tbqh

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

anyone who actually believes this has never set foot in an urban black ghetto. (fortunately i only go there to buy drugs lol - but still, racism against whites is alive and well)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

Feminition posted:

So you're saying that the Irish, which I only identify myself as when it's convenient, weren't stigmatized in this country?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Feminition posted:

sure they do. someone's gotta arrest, convict, imprison, and execute all those lazy bums

that poo poo takes time and effort

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
do you think real estate agents just know which houses to steer black buyers away from? no, they gotta look that poo poo up in the mls

and the loan officer at the bank, he's gotta look them in the eye when he denies their loan application

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Gaunab posted:

So you're saying that the Irish, which I only identify myself as when it's convenient, weren't stigmatized in this country?

irish people were historically treated poorly in the us not because you're white, but because you're filthy fuckin micks and as such a waste of space, although you only inhabit rat holes

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

its me

i'm tallywacker fartgang

i am white and proud and here and not queer
privelidged as fucvk

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

naem posted:

Every six months, Staples performs an employee review on me and gives me anywhere between a $0.30 and $0.50 raise. This last review, my "upsells" were so high that the manager bumped me up $0.65. The trick is to target older customers and mislead them on their purchases. Thus, it only took me seven weeks to afford a pair of Toto elevator shoes, which added five more inches to my height. The problem is that the shoes don't do much once you sit down, so I've also been growing my hair out and using Axe molding clay to stand it straight up, which adds several more inches. All-in-all, I'm pretty close to my goal of adding another foot to my height.

not reading all this but lol at guys who wear 5 inch elevator shoes, then get the woman back to the bedroom and have to take them off

"oh that's so funny you're doing that thing where you stand in front of the bed and pretend you're walking down stairs.... oh"

edit: ha i read the whole thing, pretty good

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 1, 2014

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

the ability to be funny and make jokes is, in my mind, the grossest example of privilege on our day to day lives

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
god invented planes, not white people

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

the ability to be funny and make jokes is, in my mind, the grossest example of privilege on our day to day lives
you poor underpriveleged wretch

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

funny "did not read" gif here

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ocean Book posted:

god invented planes, not white people

FW: FW: FW: FW: FW: ONE SIX YEAR OLD GIRL'S LETTER TO OBAMA

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
I read like 5 sentences but seriously the phrase white privilege is kind of annoying since its starting to be way overused in serious context. I'm only half white but I haven't been discriminated against in any way. I mean I'm not black obviously DUH LOL

Guess what, being white can help, unless you're a worthless rear end in a top hat. Or unlucky. Or stupid. Also, being black can be a disadvantage, sometimes, but guess what again - companies dont actually give a gently caress what color you are if you make money for them.

The real disadvantage from being black or whatever is when you have to deal with customers. Since a large amount of customers are inherently racist, you are less likely to be placed in that position. This will literally never change because it affects money in our current system. The only way to stop this is to end racism, or make it so minuscule it won't matter. Which is a pretty :lol: concept for humans.

Most people put themselves in groups. This is genetics. Groups, teams, people who are like minded, countries, gently caress even planet earth if we found some annoying aliens one day. You could probably trace this back to survival instinct if you cared. Ending racism is probably almost as hopeless as ending jealously - a root cause of most of society's problems. The best we can do is make it socially unacceptable. But even if we did, it would not end it, unless everybody looked, acted, and talked the same. Then guess what? We'll still find a way to be prejudiced. Pick any other arbitrary label you could group others in. Say, geography. Those fuckin Marylander's are so annoying poo poo they probably even have smaller brains.

So what I'm trying to say is just sit back and watch everybody bitch and fight knowing that it isn't solvable. Be happy there are those who think it is, and due to their diligence in trying to "fix" it they are in fact making it better (usually).

Does this post even relate to the OP or this thread? I dont know because the OP was too long.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

The argument against the phrase "White Privilege" is definitely not "White Privilege Does Not Exist"

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

really interesting op i read all of it

...NOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mirthless posted:

The argument against the phrase "White Privilege" is definitely not "White Privilege Does Not Exist"

You're right. It should be "White privilege was made popular by a hipster white feminist and people who use it unironically are also hipsters who are too cool for their skin color."

• Locked thread