Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'll be honest, I thought the episode was going to end with the news that StrexCorp security forces had arrested a group of five scientists who were loitering outside the house that doesn't exist. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop on that plot thread. :ohdear:

I'm expecting that to come up in the next episode. It'll probably have Kevin broadcasting some sort of heavily euphemistic broadcast about Night Vale needing to step in line or else and he'll probably threaten Carlos at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

So everyone listening to this episode before the weather is like :slick: :hellyeah:
and apparently during the weather Night Vale is like :effort:
and then after the weather everyone listening is is like :smith: :ohdear:

This whole thing was such a gut punch, probably because it's so loving true in the real world. :smith:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

President Ark posted:

I'm expecting that to come up in the next episode. It'll probably have Kevin broadcasting some sort of heavily euphemistic broadcast about Night Vale needing to step in line or else and he'll probably threaten Carlos at some point.

I'm actually wondering if the 'I SURE HOPE NOTHING HAPPENS TO MY SCIENTIST BUDDIES OUT THERE' bit from Carlos wasn't a bluff of some kind. He must have known about the insurrection (no way Cecil could or would keep it from him), and he must have known there was at least the possibility that a malevolent supercorporation wouldn't be brought down by an army of well-read pre-teens. He certainly knows by now that Strexcorp has threatened him pretty openly, and that they'd try to use him as leverage against Cecil if they could.

He might be planning to use the House That Doesn't Exist to remain free (and possibly plot an interdimensional science rescue) and what better way to do that than to provoke Strex into 'trapping' him there?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Listening to the debate right now.

Who was yelling at Steve Carlsberg? Was that one of Hiram's Heads or was that the second angriest we've ever heard Cecil? It was amazing regardless.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Listening to the debate right now.

Who was yelling at Steve Carlsberg? Was that one of Hiram's Heads or was that the second angriest we've ever heard Cecil? It was amazing regardless.

That was totally Cecil. He hates Steve Carlsburg so much. That guy is such an rear end in a top hat. And yes, it was amazing.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Bussamove posted:

That was totally Cecil. He hates Steve Carlsburg so much. That guy is such an rear end in a top hat. And yes, it was amazing.

Makes sense. I'm counting angry about Khoshekh cecil as number one, if that wasn't clear. Also it's amazing on so many levels because of the way the entire TAH crew ranks on Hal lublin in the Behind the scenes podcasts.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
From the iTunes page:

"I love Welcome to Night Vale, and I don't mind paying for episodes, but $9.99 for this one when I paid $1.99 for condos? No thanks. I loved seeing your show live in Houston, btw. Please come back soon and lower the price of this episode."

Was there a mistake in the pricing before?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 10:45 on May 2, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
All iTunes albums start off at $9.99 and any price alteration takes a couple of days to get processed. Condos didn't have this problem because it was released as a single, but the inclusion of the Overture as an included but separate track in The Debate made it into an album.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

You can avoid the annoying iTunes pricing issue, pay less, and give a larger percentage to the artists by simply avoiding iTunes altogether and buying it from Bandcamp where it's pay what you want with a $1.00 minimum.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea itunes is ok for releasing singles but for albums it's made of farts if you want to get them out cheap. Bandcamp is the way to go and I'm pretty sure the artist gets a better cut but I'm not 100% on the breakdowns.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea itunes is ok for releasing singles but for albums it's made of farts if you want to get them out cheap. Bandcamp is the way to go and I'm pretty sure the artist gets a better cut but I'm not 100% on the breakdowns.

If I sell an album for $10 on Bandcamp I get $8.50 of that. The same album sold on iTunes for $9.99 gets me $5.91, and tracking the sales is also much more of a pain in the rear end. Bandcamp also allows higher quality media such as FLAC.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Earwicker posted:

If I sell an album for $10 on Bandcamp I get $8.50 of that. The same album sold on iTunes for $9.99 gets me $5.91, and tracking the sales is also much more of a pain in the rear end.

Yeesh that is a sizable difference.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Everybody: buy the Sara Watkins album this week's weather came from. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars.

You can thank me later after it makes sweet, musky love to the listening holes in your face.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
You should also buy the new Nickel Creek album.

In LA I got to sit backstage a few feet from Sara and Sean Watkins rehearsing. One of the more amazing things that has ever happened to me.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Finally listened to the new episode and, well, :sbahj:

I am kinda morbidly happy that we'll be getting more Kevin. If only because one of my coworkers absolutely hates his voice and it freaks him out to the bone. He doesn't follow WTNV but hears me listen to it at work. And since he plays endless lovely indie reggae all the time it's tit for tat.

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug
Just chiming in to say that the new episode is god drat amazing, and the live one is also fantastic. Yesterday was a rough day at work but a double helping of your bizarre and wonderful universe and Cecil's soothing voice did me a world of good :3:

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Slack Motherfucker posted:

Just chiming in to say that the new episode is god drat amazing, and the live one is also fantastic. Yesterday was a rough day at work but a double helping of your bizarre and wonderful universe and Cecil's soothing voice did me a world of good :3:

Technically it's a triple helping. :allears:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
After relistening to Parade.Day, I have decided that Carlos' "Stop :3:" is the cutest dang thing in the world.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Gonna throw in with the "that was a drat fine episode" crew. I was already eagerly awaiting the June 4th show but this show, as well the goings-on with the election, just adds to the anticipation. Definitely been a lot of good work coming out of this podcast over the last few months.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

maxnmona posted:

You should also buy the new Nickel Creek album.

In LA I got to sit backstage a few feet from Sara and Sean Watkins rehearsing. One of the more amazing things that has ever happened to me.

Truth. A Dotted Line has been on repeat on my stereo all goddamn month. I've been a diehard Nickel Creek fan since seeing them at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival in 2000. I was a bit weepy when I saw them on the Farwewell For Now tour because I wasn't sure I'd ever get to hear them play together again.

I'm seeing them live on the 13th. I'm so excited I might pee.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I really want to go to the June 4th show, but not a lot of my friends in real life listen to WTNV and I'm kinda scared to navigate NYC alone coming from NJ. :ohdear: Any advice?

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
I really loved this whole episode. I appreciated the update on Mayor Winchell. I was kinda disappointed that we didn't get to hear Kevin, but the more I think on it, the more I think that was the point? And the weather was so, so good.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rose Spirit posted:

I really want to go to the June 4th show, but not a lot of my friends in real life listen to WTNV and I'm kinda scared to navigate NYC alone coming from NJ. :ohdear: Any advice?

NYC isn't that scary? Especially midtown where Town Hall is, a few blocks from Times Square and it's neon nightmare - you could walk there from the port authority if you take a bus in.

(You could also walk there from Penn Station if you take the train, but it'd be slightly longer - 12 blocks, rather than 2.)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if you take NJTransit to Penn Station you can take the 1/2/3 direct to Times Sq from there and get out of the subway half a block from the theater.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Wandering Knitter posted:

After relistening to Parade.Day, I have decided that Carlos' "Stop :3:" is the cutest dang thing in the world.

After this episode and "Condos" I decided Carlos didn't date Cecil for a year because every time Cecil mentioned him on the radio, Carlos was reduced to blushing and stammering for the rest of the day instead of getting important science done.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Listened to the Debate, and Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman telling each other they're beautiful was the cutest thing. :3: I also have a hard time hearing Marc Evan Jackson as anyone but Sparks Nevada, but that loving coffee table bit, holy poo poo. His voice is so perfect for that kind of thing, that kind of... deadpan petulance?

Parade Day was... I don't even know how to express it, that one moment of very real-world tragedy and disappointment and broken dreams.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
The Debate was awesome. Lots of unexpected voices and cameos. Especially Kevin! And with the talk of Intern Vanessa and Desert Bluffs, I think there's some important information about Strexcorp and the Smiling God. I can't wait to hear from him again in upcoming episodes.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
So it's cannon that Marcus Vanston is an Angel now eh? I wonder who the richest man in town is now?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Been waiting to hear The Debate since November or so, and it did not dissapoint. The weather was awesome. The other thing too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

He said I have a face! I've never seen my face. What do I look like, Hiram? Am I beautiful?

You are beautiful when you do beautiful things. Do you do beautiful things?

I think that I do.

THEN YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! IT IS A SIMPLE CALCULATION, YOU SMALL DEFENSELESS SACK OF BONES AND MEAT!

I love how simply life-affirming Night Vale is. :3:

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Listened to the Debate, and Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman telling each other they're beautiful was the cutest thing. :3: I also have a hard time hearing Marc Evan Jackson as anyone but Sparks Nevada, but that loving coffee table bit, holy poo poo. His voice is so perfect for that kind of thing, that kind of... deadpan petulance?

I think that it's entirely reasonable to assume that Sparks Nevada was chosen for some higher purpose by angels.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I think that it's entirely reasonable to assume that Sparks Nevada was chosen for some higher purpose by angels.

He IS sworn by the burs of his astrospurs. Maybe that's what the angels call people for.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does that mean he's under onus to the angels?

"I'm...from Night Vale."

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Why are we spoiler tagging something that is out and able to be listened to by everyone?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Len posted:

Why are we spoiler tagging something that is out and able to be listened to by everyone?

It's for pay and many people may not have or are unwilling/unable to buy it? It doesn't really hurt to avoid spoilers.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Len posted:

It's also still this past week released.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Debate wild guessing! Is Vanessa alive or dead? Does this have anything to do with the "incident" that happened to Desert Bluff's marching band?

WILD SPECULATION TIME:

Everyone in Desert Bluffs is actually dead and animated by the power of their terrible god because of two things DB residents have said:

“I TAKE MY WARMTH FROM YOUR GREAT WARMTH. I TAKE MY WARMTH FROM YOUR GREAT WARMTH”

and Kevin's "Do you believe in a smiling God? Of course you do! We all do. We must!"

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Regarding the latest episode:

Night Vale will never have another hero. Night Vale will never have another chance. Night Vale will fall, because it never tried to stand for itself.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

dmboogie posted:

Regarding the latest episode:

Night Vale will never have another hero. Night Vale will never have another chance. Night Vale will fall, because it never tried to stand for itself.

I'm glad someone else has had Protomen stuck in their head all week.

There are no heroes left in man. :smith:

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Does anyone figured out the meaning of the beeps in Parade Day? I'm guessing it might be morse code, but I don't understand morse.

Wandering Knitter posted:

I'm glad someone else has had Protomen stuck in their head all week.

There are no heroes left in man. :smith:

Me three. :smith:

Hopefully there'll be a jailbreak in the near future, especially since nobody's used the old juvenile detention centre in a while. Or else Dana will save the day with her army of friends.