Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

deafmute posted:

Chris Johnston: Gary Bettman says a weaker Canadian dollar will put next year's salary cap at $69M or $70M. Had been projected at $71M.

Buyout speculation is coming :ohdear:

Damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Get your act together, Canada

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

This is from a few pages back, but for those saying that the Sharks aren't Cup contenders because they haven't been in the SCF, who would your top 5 picks have been for Cup winner this year? I would have said Boston, LA, San Jose, Chicago, and Pittsburgh*. To me, being a Cup contender is something that is defined before the playoffs actually begin, and is largely independent of actual results.

*gotta stay positive

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Lol that a weak canadian dollar is loving with the salary cap and not whatever southern team Real Hockey Fans love to cry about

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
Ray Ratto has figured out how to fix the Sharks or remind everyone that he is a terrible hack. Either/or :shrug:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

This is from a few pages back, but for those saying that the Sharks aren't Cup contenders because they haven't been in the SCF, who would your top 5 picks have been for Cup winner this year? I would have said Boston, LA, San Jose, Chicago, and Pittsburgh*. To me, being a Cup contender is something that is defined before the playoffs actually begin, and is largely independent of actual results.

*gotta stay positive

San Jose is a good bet if you believe that previous playoff results aren't indicative of future playoff results, and that possession stats are everything.

Personally I think they'll never win a cup with this group.

In other words, it doesn't matter how the other teams are, because to me San Jose is just not a factor. They'll find a way to lose.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

deafmute posted:

Ray Ratto has figured out how to fix the Sharks or remind everyone that he is a terrible hack. Either/or :shrug:

Jesus that was painful

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Okay since I didn't quite word it right and used the wrong thread and it was crass and unfunny.

Why is Phoenix changing it's name to Arizona? I know they're the only team in the state but I'm not sure if it's there to try and attract interest or if it's just a marketing thing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Okay since I didn't quite word it right and used the wrong thread and it was crass and unfunny.

Why is Phoenix changing it's name to Arizona? I know they're the only team in the state but I'm not sure if it's there to try and attract interest or if it's just a marketing thing.

They don't play in Phoenix.

The city they do play in, Glendale, pays them a poo poo load of money every year and another city that doesn't do anything gets their name on the team.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It's part of their arena lease agreement with the City of Glendale

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Okay, I don't know why I couldn't make that clear reading the news because all the articles were stating about financial issues and not why.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
I like how Ray Ratto's idea of humor begins with rampant stereotyping about Germans and only gets worse from there

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

I'm not sure where to post this but my best friend is probably going to play for the Seattle Thunderbirds in the WHL! :)

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I'm not sure where to post this but my best friend is probably going to play for the Seattle Thunderbirds in the WHL! :)

That's awesome, congrats to your friend. There's a non-NHL hockey thread that's relatively active, which includes the WHL.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

HELLO LADIES posted:

That's awesome, congrats to your friend. There's a non-NHL hockey thread that's relatively active, which includes the WHL.

There we go! Thanks pal.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure the Sharks are just getting punished by God for the way Tomas Hertl disrespects the game with his between the legs goals.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Scott Gomez Addams posted:

I like how Ray Ratto's idea of humor begins with rampant stereotyping about Germans and only gets worse from there

Who cares about Germans, he insulted Sharkie! :mad:

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Luceo posted:

Who cares about Germans, he insulted Sharkie! :mad:
Ratto has a long history of Sharkie dissing, dating back to when poor Sharkie got stuck rappelling from the rafters and hovered above center ice for 15 minutes.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Ratto has a long history of Sharkie dissing, dating back to when poor Sharkie got stuck rappelling from the rafters and hovered above center ice for 15 minutes.

Why would you even insult the best mascot in the NHL?! :argh:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Hiller has one of the best masks in the league. :allears:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Ratto would have bent the rafters.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Hiller has one of the best masks in the league. :allears:

Does he still use that beauty?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

fits posted:

Does he still use that beauty?

Nope, Darth Hiller is dead. His new mask is still money though.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Austrian mook posted:

Nope, Darth Hiller is dead. His new mask is still money though.

Isn't it mostly the same as that one but with shiny gold lines added?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

mcvey posted:

Isn't it mostly the same as that one but with shiny gold lines added?

Still matte black, which is the reason it was awesome in the first place, but he has started to load up in clip art and the big Anaheim D. It was better all black.

The San Jose problem: obviously there is something a little wrong with the team culture and I can't help but assume there is a certain helpless sense of "again???" that might sneak into a players' psyche, but lol at peple who say San Jose will never win the cup with their current roster. "Choke artist" status is assigned by people who apparently can't crunch numbers in a 30 team league competing for one trophy. Is Boston a choke artist team for losing a 3-0 series lead to a very much inferior Philly team? You absolutely have to play the long game in professional sports management. Reactionary roster moves only lead to more problems. San Jose has a very strong team with nevertheless very identifiable weaknesses ie defensive depth and starting goaltending. Far better to try and shore those up than start chasing some murky notion of adding "championship pedigree" or whatever.

e. Betting odds usually put the front runner at about 5:1 heading into the postseason iirc. In the past 10 years has San Jose been THE favourite to win the cup 5 times?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Stickarts posted:

Still matte black, which is the reason it was awesome in the first place, but he has started to load up in clip art and the big Anaheim D. It was better all black.

The San Jose problem: obviously there is something a little wrong with the team culture and I can't help but assume there is a certain helpless sense of "again???" that might sneak into a players' psyche, but lol at peple who say San Jose will never win the cup with their current roster. "Choke artist" status is assigned by people who apparently can't crunch numbers in a 30 team league competing for one trophy. Is Boston a choke artist team for losing a 3-0 series lead to a very much inferior Philly team? You absolutely have to play the long game in professional sports management. Reactionary roster moves only lead to more problems. San Jose has a very strong team with nevertheless very identifiable weaknesses ie defensive depth and starting goaltending. Far better to try and shore those up than start chasing some murky notion of adding "championship pedigree" or whatever.

Yes chasing for championship pedigree gets you Rob Scuderi, who sucks

ist
Mar 9, 2007
lurkin since '01
Yeah there's really no reason for the sharks to change their lineup (except Havlat/Boyle out and more D depth in), people are overreacting because they forget how much luck plays into a 7 game series.

It just takes a few lucky bounces to completely alter the results of a 7 game series between two somewhat evenly matched teams. Who knows how games 5-7 would have ended if:

Game 5: Vlasic didn't get injured
Game 6: The refs would have called off the (go-ahead) goal that resulted from Stalock getting pushed into the net
Game 7: The refs wouldn't have called an elbowing penalty to Couture after Muzzin skated face-first into his elbow and bucked his head back, giving the kings a 5-on-3 for their tying goal.

Or if, in any scoring chances for any of the two teams, the puck got shot half an inch more to the left/right/etc, deflected differently, etc.

Hockey is random, all any team can do to give themselves an advantage is maximize their opportunities while reducing opponent opportunities.

Players being "clutch" or "choking" is just people trying to create a storyline for random events.

ist fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 4, 2014

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So all that counts against the cap next year for Jagr is $3.5m, and with Brodeur almost certainly not coming back to NJ, and with Volchenkov almost certain to be bought out, that really is a ton of cap to work with. If Lou plays his cards right, the Devils can be an instant contender again.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

ist posted:

Yeah there's really no reason for the sharks to change their lineup (except Havlat/Boyle out and more D depth in), people are overreacting because they forget how much luck plays into a 7 game series.

It just takes a few lucky bounces to completely alter the results of a 7 game series between two somewhat evenly matched teams. Who knows how games 5-7 would have ended if:

Game 5: Vlasic didn't get injured
Game 6: The refs would have called off the (go-ahead) goal that resulted from Stalock getting pushed into the net
Game 7: The refs wouldn't have called an elbowing penalty to Couture after Muzzin skated face-first into his elbow and bucked his head back, giving the kings a 5-on-3 for their tying goal.

Or if, in any scoring chances for any of the two teams, the puck got shot half an inch more to the left/right/etc, deflected differently, etc.

Hockey is random, all any team can do to give themselves an advantage is maximize their opportunities while reducing opponent opportunities.

Players being "clutch" or "choking" is just people trying to create a storyline for random events.

Yes, hockey is pretty random and many teams who get through the playoffs are also lucky, but there are teams who manage themselves a lot better in crucial situations. That half-inch to the left? That's a big loving deal and there are shooters who hit it and shooters who don't on consistent levels.

Games are usually a series of momentum swings and push-backs. Some teams manage those really well (Chicago, LA) and some teams don't (Pittsburgh, St. Louis). So while luck plays a big factor, having a killer instinct and ability to control a hockey game is something better teams do better than others.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
People around here have gone too far towards the numbers, probably because they're quantifiable. Intangibles matter, but it's hard to argue anything about them objectively.

Possession is the most important thing if you want to win the president's trophy and a lot of regular season games, and that's what the numbers mostly track. It is important for winning the cup, but not nearly to the same extent.

Its a long term thing of course, but :toxx: Colorado will win the cup within 3 years, probably 2. San Jose will not, unless one of Thornton, Marleau or the coach are moved. They'll probably win 150+ games though. 300$ to charity if I'm wrong.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Luceo posted:

Why would you even insult the best mascot in the NHL?! :argh:

Uh, haha, what? :cthulhu:

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
The only move I think San Jose needs to make in the off-season is Raffi Torres, to the morgue.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Jordan7hm posted:

Possession is the most important thing if you want to win the president's trophy and a lot of regular season games, and that's what the numbers mostly track. It is important for winning the cup, but not nearly to the same extent.

Yeah, its not as though the cup winners in recent history were all uniformly top possession tea-

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jordan7hm posted:

Its a long term thing of course, but :toxx: Colorado will win the cup within 3 years, probably 2. San Jose will not, unless one of Thornton, Marleau or the coach are moved. They'll probably win 150+ games though. 300$ to charity if I'm wrong.

lmao

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

:laffo:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

People around here have gone too far towards the numbers, probably because they're quantifiable. Intangibles matter, but it's hard to argue anything about them objectively.

this post is really bad.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I mean I believe that, like in literally all other facets of life, there are players who perform better in high pressure situations than others. It's the human factor that makes sports compelling. Otherwise we may as well just watch a random number generator weighted according to team skill level produce results. It's a huge leap to go from that to "team is nothing but a bunch of chokers who will literally never win", though.

And Colorado lost to an objectively weaker team that was relying on their #3 goalie for multiple games. Doesn't this qualify them as choke artists?

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

not really. the Avs were not that good of a team to begin with.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think the Wild are a better team than Colorado.

E: Also I've seen a lot of articles about Bryz saving the game for Minnesota as if he came up big, he made a single save in game 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Colorado probably would have won if Barrie still had a knee. Their D was really bad, and he was one positive. Losing him hurt.

Anyway, losing in 7 when you drafted first overall last year is never a choke. Losing in 7 when you were up 3-0 and have been a regular season powerhouse for years is always a choke.

• Locked thread