Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
They were better than the Wild, just not in that series. They don't match up well against them or the Blues. A team like the Blackhawks, they match up perfectly against, and run a train on them every time, whereas the Wild aren't going to win this series. The Avs aren't as good as they are going to be yet, so long as they can hold on to all these young talented players, and they still played pretty drat well all season. Saying they are going to win the Cup within three years is way more dependent on the salary cap and whether they can acquire some good defensemen than anything, but it's not super out of line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Are we assuming Varlamov is going to be Vezina quality again this year? Because without that they don't make playoffs.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Gio posted:

not really. the Avs were not that good of a team to begin with.
I have it on good authority that they're going to win the Cup in 2-3 years tops and bad teams don't do that sir :colbert:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Austrian mook posted:

Are we assuming Varlamov is going to be Vezina quality again this year? Because without that they don't make playoffs.

they were the 4th highest scoring team in the league

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

No. I'm assuming that their D is going to be NHL caliber at some point. Their forward core is pretty ridiculous even if they don't sign Stastny, and I love Roy's aggressive coaching style / philosophy. He coaches like he's in junior still, but with an NHL pedigree that forces players to pay attention to him.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Nothing about the Avalanche's season was sustainable except for probably the bad possession numbers, because they're not that great.

If you think Varlamov is going to continue to be Vezina caliber after one good season and if you think the offense is going to continue shooting above league average, then I dunno what to tell you.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
It's going to be funny seeing Roy win the Jack Adams bc of Varlamov.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

No. I'm assuming that their D is going to be NHL caliber at some point. Their forward core is pretty ridiculous even if they don't sign Stastny, and I love Roy's aggressive coaching style / philosophy. He coaches like he's in junior still, but with an NHL pedigree that forces players to pay attention to him.

Coaches will adapt to Roy, as was clearly seen in their playoff series against the Wild. Their top 6 is pretty spectacular, but their bottom 6 is dreadful. Outside of Barrie their D is one of the worst in the league. They have 1 goalie in Varlamov who is most certainly going to regress back to his average, while their back up someone that couldnt make it in loving Calgary. They have much more to address than just D if they are going to win the Cup.

That said, I still think they will consistently make the playoffs. They are on par with Minnesota and a notch above the bottom of the Central and still have room to grow.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Counterpoint: Landeskog, Duchene, O'Reilly, MacKinnon. They're going to have a great front 6 for years, and that's the biggest part of the battle. They just need to get some defense and hold on to guys like Stastny, McGinn and Parenteau. Also Varlamov is a really good goalie and has always had the potential to be great, so I'm not sure why you guys are implying that he's going to drop to like 15th best or something. He may not be top 2 next season, but he'll certainly be an asset.

Edit: After Reto Barra, they have two really solid up and comers in the minors waiting in the wings, so depth at goalie isn't an issue.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Volkerball posted:

they were the 4th highest scoring team in the league

and 24th in shots against

Volkerball posted:

Counterpoint: Landeskog, Duchene, O'Reilly, MacKinnon. They're going to have a great front 6 for years, and that's the biggest part of the battle. They just need to get some defense and hold on to guys like Stastny, McGinn and Parenteau. Also Varlamov is a really good goalie and has always had the potential to be great, so I'm not sure why you guys are implying that he's going to drop to like 15th best or something. He may not be top 2 next season, but he'll certainly be an asset.

Edit: After Reto Barra, they have two really solid up and comers in the minors waiting in the wings, so depth at goalie isn't an issue.

Outside of like, pavelec, can you name a goalie who doesn't have the potential to be great? Varlamov's .927 is above his career average by a decent bit, and last year he was a .903.

hifi fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 4, 2014

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Whenever someone says a team just "needs to get some defense" I think it's funny because it's really loving hard to find good defensemen

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Volkerball posted:

ROR probably isn't long for Colorado if he has any sour memories of last off-season.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

reach42 posted:

ROR probably isn't long for Colorado if he has any sour memories of last off-season.
Since his qualifying offer is $6.5million dollars the Avs are in an incredibly interesting position.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

deafmute posted:

Since his qualifying offer is $6.5million dollars the Avs are in an incredibly interesting position.

Since management didn't want to pay him last go-round, what do you think the market is for him? I think it's incredibly peculiar that the cap is as conservative as it is next season considering the "historic" Rogers Sportsnet Deal that everyone claimed would boost the cap.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

So all that counts against the cap next year for Jagr is $3.5m, and with Brodeur almost certainly not coming back to NJ, and with Volchenkov almost certain to be bought out, that really is a ton of cap to work with. If Lou plays his cards right, the Devils can be an instant contender again.

We've got his 2m from this season though carrying over so he's basically a 5.5m player. Not that it matters the Devils will have an assload of cap space.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

deafmute posted:

lmao I forgot all about that. Looks like they have a ton of cap space even giving the important UFA and RFAs upper limits of what they could get since their bottom 6 and most of their D are trash.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

reach42 posted:

Since management didn't want to pay him last go-round, what do you think the market is for him? I think it's incredibly peculiar that the cap is as conservative as it is next season considering the "historic" Rogers Sportsnet Deal that everyone claimed would boost the cap.
His agent could probably get $7.5mil from a few teams. If forced to choose I'd want him over Stastny. You'd think all the outdoor games would've made the cap go higher too but the Canadian dollar hates everyone :effort:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Steven Harper is killing the NHL :supaburn:

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Stickarts posted:

I mean I believe that, like in literally all other facets of life, there are players who perform better in high pressure situations than others. It's the human factor that makes sports compelling. Otherwise we may as well just watch a random number generator weighted according to team skill level produce results. It's a huge leap to go from that to "team is nothing but a bunch of chokers who will literally never win", though.

there's been a lot of studies about this w/r/t baseball that have concluded that there is no such thing as clutch and it's mostly media narrative + small sample sizes.

Jordan7hm posted:

Its a long term thing of course, but :toxx: Colorado will win the cup within 3 years, probably 2. San Jose will not, unless one of Thornton, Marleau or the coach are moved. They'll probably win 150+ games though. 300$ to charity if I'm wrong.

colorado will probably improve their possession numbers as their young players mature and they presumably address their defensive issues. if they don't though, they won't win the cup. thornton and marleau were not why san jose lost in the first round and mclellan wasn't either. crosby, malkin and bylsma won a cup and have been really underwhelming in the playoffs since including losing to very inferior teams. if that game 7 had gone differently than we might be sitting here talking about how the penguins need to dump one of crosby or malkin if they are ever going to win.

Volkerball posted:

Also Varlamov is a really good goalie and has always had the potential to be great, so I'm not sure why you guys are implying that he's going to drop to like 15th best or something. He may not be top 2 next season, but he'll certainly be an asset.

there is very little about varlamov's career prior to this year to suggest that he is better than say marc-andre fleury or steve mason. more likely this was an extreme outlier season and he'll fall back toward his career numbers, which are not good enough to carry a team.

his career save percentage is pretty much the same as his playoff save percentage was this year

Zamboni Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 4, 2014

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

We've got his 2m from this season though carrying over so he's basically a 5.5m player. Not that it matters the Devils will have an assload of cap space.

That's right, the bonuses carryover. True. And yeah, still tons of cap

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

tofes posted:

Whenever someone says a team just "needs to get some defense" I think it's funny because it's really loving hard to find good defensemen
The class of defensemen that are available this year looks pretty fantastic!

Niskanen, Markov, Zidlicky, Boyle, Gilbert, Meszaros, Morris, Salo, Hainsey, Nikitin, Ranger, Quincey, Orpik, Weaver, Hannan, Mitchell, Kostka, Corvo, Sarich, Greene, Bouillon, Colaiacovo, Komisarek, Summers, Murray, Gill, Whitney, Mottau, Alberts

:negative:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zamboni Jesus posted:

there is very little about varlamov's career prior to this year to suggest that he is better than say marc-andre fleury or steve mason. more likely this was an extreme outlier season and he'll fall back toward his career numbers, which are not good enough to carry a team.

his career save percentage is pretty much the same as his playoff save percentage was this year

Keep in mind that his stats are inflated by his unreal start to the season when the Avs were the last team to lose a game. I'd say his fall back already happened, and his play through the back 2/3 of the season are what we can expect from him moving forward. The Avs came back from 3rd place and ended up winning the division and getting the 2 seed with that level of play, so I like I said, I don't see him being a liability. He can play terrible some nights, but he also can win some games on his own, and keep the Avs in close games late while any of their top scorers seal it up. I'd also say you can expect an inflated level of play from goalies under Roy and Allaire, because Jiggy played out of his mind for where he's at at this point in his career as well. Also, the Avs got 12 shots in game 3, and lost every single game in Minnesota because they couldn't generate any offense, so I wouldn't point to Varly as a big reason we lost that series. Just a young team in its first appearance since 2009 that couldn't do playoff hockey consistently, but they still went to overtime in game 7 against a good team. I agree with your other points about possession and defense though.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

deafmute posted:

The class of defensemen that are available this year looks pretty fantastic!

Niskanen, Markov, Zidlicky, Boyle, Gilbert, Meszaros, Morris, Salo, Hainsey, Nikitin, Ranger, Quincey, Orpik, Weaver, Hannan, Mitchell, Kostka, Corvo, Sarich, Greene, Bouillon, Colaiacovo, Komisarek, Summers, Murray, Gill, Whitney, Mottau, Alberts

:negative:

Zid is almost definitely returning to NJ, he loves the system and the Devils have tons of cap and he had almost 50 points last year. No way Lou lets him walk.

This means Niskanen is gonna make bank, Markov/Boyle will get shorter terms but still a nice amount, and after those three it's loving brutal.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Keep in mind that his stats are inflated by his unreal start to the season when the Avs were the last team to lose a game. I'd say his fall back already happened, and his play through the back 2/3 of the season are what we can expect from him moving forward. The Avs came back from 3rd place and ended up winning the division and getting the 2 seed with that level of play, so I like I said, I don't see him being a liability. He can play terrible some nights, but he also can win some games on his own, and keep the Avs in close games late while any of their top scorers seal it up. I'd also say you can expect an inflated level of play from goalies under Roy and Allaire, because Jiggy played out of his mind for where he's at at this point in his career as well. Also, the Avs got 12 shots in game 3, and lost every single game in Minnesota because they couldn't generate any offense, so I wouldn't point to Varly as a big reason we lost that series. Just a young team in its first appearance since 2009 that couldn't do playoff hockey consistently, but they still went to overtime in game 7 against a good team. I agree with your other points about possession and defense though.

to be clear, i think the team can win with varlamov even if he's only an average goalie. see osgood. see fleury. see niemi. see ward. see crawford.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Osgood was awesome and I will not hear otherwise. :colbert:

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Zamboni Jesus posted:

there's been a lot of studies about this w/r/t baseball that have concluded that there is no such thing as clutch and it's mostly media narrative + small sample sizes.

They did a study on Michael Jordan and found the same thing. He made the same percentage of "clutch" shots as anybody else, he just had a shitload more opportunities.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Minnesota isn't a good team. Colorado will be good but this season they performed way above how they should have. Varlamov is super athletic and a good goalie but he's not a world beater that you can't expect him to come close to repeating what he did this year. Also... what? Literally nobody is pointing to Varlamov as "a big reason [the Avs] lost this series." That's a purely 1-2 media personality driven story. If Varlamov didn't have a career year the Avs don't even make it to the playoffs, much less 7 games.

The Avs ascension had as much to do with their own team luck re: shooting percentage and save percentage as it did the Blackhawks falling off for whatever reason and the Blues collapsing. To expect them to fall back to earth is hardly far fetched given how much regression you can expect and holes they have.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Zid is almost definitely returning to NJ, he loves the system and the Devils have tons of cap and he had almost 50 points last year. No way Lou lets him walk.

This means Niskanen is gonna make bank, Markov/Boyle will get shorter terms but still a nice amount, and after those three it's loving brutal.

The sad thing is this is one of the better selections of UFA defensemen over the past few years

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Tom Gilbert's cool I guess, I'd take him in San Jose

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Deer_fire posted:

Minnesota isn't a good team.

why?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

They had a funny season. The first month or two they were one of the top shot differential teams in the league, and then they fell apart and were one of the worst over the remainder of the season. If their goaltending wasn't as unexpectedly good as it turned out during the regular season (for the record they had the 3rd best team 5 on 5 save percentage behind Boston and Los Angeles) they would have had a tough time.

It was pretty funny to watch a below average possession team like Minnesota - they finished 21st in the league in close game fenwick % - completely dominate the Avalanche in their postseason series at even strength. Should tell you a lot about how good a team Colorado actually was.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zamboni Jesus posted:

colorado will probably improve their possession numbers as their young players mature and they presumably address their defensive issues. if they don't though, they won't win the cup.

This is absolutely true. I'm obviously of the belief that they will. Pittsburgh, for example, had woeful possession stats the year they lost to Detroit, but the following year had pushed themselves to being a over 50% fenwick close team.

fancy stats posted:

Yeah, its not as though the cup winners in recent history were all uniformly top possession tea-

In the last several years Boston wasn't and Pittsburgh wasn't (they were good but not dominating by any stretch). Chicago x2, LA, Detroit were. But that's kind of what my point was - possession is good, and over the course of a regular season the little bit of extra skill (or luck or whatever) will even out. Over the course of a few 7 game series though, you need something on top of the possession numbers. For whatever reason SJS have never had that something extra, and I don't see any reason to believe they suddenly will find it.

e: Also you could replace "good possession team" with "good regular season team" in like any argument about success and you'd be arguing the same thing. Generally teams that are good in the regular season are also good in the playoffs. But the SJS have not been good in the playoffs since Todd started coaching them.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 5, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But Colorado will, because this tea leaf that I put in some water pointed in the direction of Denver.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That's no tea leaf, friend.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

For whatever reason SJS have never had that something extra, and I don't see any reason to believe they suddenly will find it.

i think the response to that is that there is no reason to believe that they won't find "it" and trading two of their best players seem unlikely to help them to find "it"

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zamboni Jesus posted:

i think the response to that is that there is no reason to believe that they won't find "it" and trading two of their best players seem unlikely to help them to find "it"

Only team to win a cup after a history of playoff performance like San Jose was Calgary in '89.

The question then is when do you blow it up? You give them another year, another two years, another three years... or do you just say the goal is to make it to the dance every year but winning in the playoffs doesn't really matter?

e: Or hell, maybe they win next year and I feel quite the fool. So who's ready to put their money on San Jose, even if they go into the playoffs next year with a president's trophy?

e2: McLellan has a 30-32 playoff record as a coach, and 271-112-46 in the regular season.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 5, 2014

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Only team to win a cup after a history of playoff performance like San Jose was Calgary in '89.

The question then is when do you blow it up? You give them another year, another two years, another three years... or do you just say the goal is to make it to the dance every year but winning in the playoffs doesn't really matter?

i don't really think the historical argument has any validity here in terms of predicting how san jose will do in the future, but how many teams have been able to hold an elite core without having won for the length of time that san jose has, or been a top team without winning for the length of time that san jose has? maybe other teams in somewhat the same situation blew it up and then never won.

san jose can keep the team together for a few more years and maybe never win but be a contender at least or they can blow it up and basically guarantee they never will.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In a place that's typically as intelligent about hockey as SAS, it's weird enough to see a lone dumb uninformed opinion like "Colorado will be really good" or "San Jose isn't gonna win a cup" but seeing them both at the same time is really something.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Zamboni Jesus posted:

i don't really think the historical argument has any validity here in terms of predicting how san jose will do in the future, but how many teams have been able to hold an elite core without having won for the length of time that san jose has, or been a top team without winning for the length of time that san jose has? maybe other teams in somewhat the same situation blew it up and then never won.

san jose can keep the team together for a few more years and maybe never win but be a contender at least or they can blow it up and basically guarantee they never will.

In the last 40 years there have been 26 total streaks of 5+ playoff years without a cup. I'm including San Jose in that.

Only 2 teams (Detroit in 1997 and Calgary in 1989) have won after a streak like that.

Obviously historical arguments aren't very solid because there are different circumstances for different teams, but there are a lot of teams / cores that have been as good as San Jose and never won anything.

If you aren't going to win, what's the point of keeping the core together? Being a contender who never actually wins a cup is no better than being any other team who never wins a cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VJeff posted:

In a place that's typically as intelligent about hockey as SAS, it's weird enough to see a lone dumb uninformed opinion like "Colorado will be really good" or "San Jose isn't gonna win a cup" but seeing them both at the same time is really something.

A lot of people were telling me in their early season streak that Colorado wouldn't even make the playoffs because regress to the mean you don't even know. I think ya'll get a bit up your own asses sometimes.

• Locked thread