Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

eXXon posted:

Dallas Eakins led the Marlies to the Calder Cup finals, where they got creamed.

Now that Eakins has Scrivens back, though, I fully expect the Oilers to make the Stanley Cup finals next season after squeaking in as an 8th seed, only to get swept by a random :lol:south team, let's say the Florida PantherHawks. Then the Oilers go back to being terrible for another decade.

I mean in all fairness that Admirals team was absurdly good and set a pro hockey record for consecutive wins that year and lost like two games in the playoffs. Then they lost the next year. :mmmhmm:

Was Eakins coaching the Marlies when the Griffins beat them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say
i remember reading an article recently in which the author made an argument correlating a team's minor league success to the future success of the nhl franchise and argued that a good ahl season generally correlates to nhl success three years down the road. the leafs seem to be an exception to this argument as the marlies have been pretty good for a lot of the last ten years and the leafs not so much.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

VJeff posted:

He was. I'm not sure how Eakins got credited with being great with young players though. The Marlies have usually been stocked with good veterans/AHL superstars. I wouldn't say Eakins overplayed veterans over prospects because the Leafs haven't been stocking the Marlies with good prospects in the first place, but it's not like Eakins turned a bunch of 6th round projects into quality NHL players either.

That last playoff run, the top scorers in the 9 games were Jerry D'Amigo (future 3rd/4th liner), Greg Scott (hosed off to Sweden), Mike Zigomanis (former AHL superstar), Will Acton (:lol:), Greg McKegg (could be a top 9 forward if his skating improves), Carter Ashton (been mostly useless in the NHL, but maybe he'll finally do something next season), and Spencer Abbott (tiny college UFA and future AHL superstar, well except he's already 26). That's a far cry from the Tatar/Nyquist/Jurco/Sheahan/Jarnkrok or Palat/Connolly/Panik/Kucherov/Namestnikov forward cores that have actually been winning Calder Cups and turning into quality NHLers.

Zamboni Jesus posted:

i remember reading an article recently in which the author made an argument correlating a team's minor league success to the future success of the nhl franchise and argued that a good ahl season generally correlates to nhl success three years down the road. the leafs seem to be an exception to this argument as the marlies have been pretty good for a lot of the last ten years and the leafs not so much.

The Marlies would probably be mediocre if they didn't fill out their roster with marginal NHLers to stay competitive. Having said that, they've done reasonably well with season without any 26+ year olds carrying the load, barring 24 games of Trevor Smith. I don't think any of the youngsters (McKegg/Leivo/Carrick/D'Amigo/Percy/Granberg) have much in the way of top 6/top 4 potential though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
For the last like twenty years, the Griffins were a joke and the Wings were great then for the last, like, two years, the Griffins have been amazing and the Wings have been kind of uh, moldy. But the Wings made the playoffs with a bunch of Griffins in their lineup, soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

:shrug:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Hershey Bears were in the finals four times in five years and won three Calder Cups from 2005-06 to 2009-10.

From 2008-09 to 2012-13 the Capitals won three playoff series.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
Well I think the (probably slightly more accurate) argument would be that if your AHL team is full of actual prospects not AHL superstars that your (NHL) team should be at least somewhat competitive in the future.

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

VJeff posted:

For the last like twenty years, the Griffins were a joke and the Wings were great then for the last, like, two years, the Griffins have been amazing and the Wings have been kind of uh, moldy. But the Wings made the playoffs with a bunch of Griffins in their lineup, soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

despite their reputation for good drafting, the wings were never really a building from the inside kind of team, especially pre-cap when they were one of the highest spending teams in the league. also the current griffins/wings would fit with the three year lag argument.

canuckanese posted:

The Hershey Bears were in the finals four times in five years and won three Calder Cups from 2005-06 to 2009-10.

From 2008-09 to 2012-13 the Capitals won three playoff series.

yeah but the capitals won a lot of regular season games during that same period!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Larry Brooks posted:

PITTSBURGH — In the District of Columbia, the presidency awaits Wayne Gretzky … if Capitals owner Ted Leonsis recognizes the need to restructure the front office of his drifting franchise, that is.
Sources have told Slap Shots though there is “mutual interest” between Leonsis and Gretzky in the wake of the firing of general manager George McPhee, and head coach Adam Oates, No. 99’s interest is in the position of President of Hockey Operations, which the owner has yet to commit to creating.

http://nypost.com/2014/05/03/the-caps-may-be-a-good-fit-for-the-great-one/

Did I miss someone posting this, because lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Zamboni Jesus posted:

despite their reputation for good drafting, the wings were never really a building from the inside kind of team, especially pre-cap when they were one of the highest spending teams in the league. also the current griffins/wings would fit with the three year lag argument.

Ehhhh a lot of their depth and supporting cast came from :homebrew: yeah but I'm pretty sure all of their superstars with the exception of Shanny came from the inside. And I guess that makes sense. In three years, Datsyuk will probably have rode off into the sunset and the core will be Old Zetterberg, Old Kronwall and Nyquist/Tatar/Mantha/Jurco/Sheahan/Frk/DeKeyser/Ouellet/Sproul.

Also I maintain that the Caps had a legit shot to win every year from 2009 to 2012. :(

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

Did I miss someone posting this, because lol

I share the :lol: at Gretzky. I'm also amused by how popular this President position is getting. It seems to be another pointless layer of administration on top of the general manager, and sometimes just a place for bad GMs to get promoted to instead of being fired. Why? Who knows. It satisfies the NHL's old boys club, I guess.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
gently caress the Gretzky rumors, gently caress them all. He was a loving amazing player, and as good as he was as a player he's just as bad as an executive or coach. He needs to stay the gently caress away from the Capitals, hiring him would be on par with brining Oates back.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Zamboni Jesus posted:

yeah but the capitals won a lot of regular season games during that same period!

The Caps of that same period did have a lot of structure from Hershey, including Bruce Boudreau. Tampa, so far, has not won a playoff series with a core that has a lot of players who were coached under Jon Cooper at the AHL level. Granted, this was the first year that iteration made the playoffs and were without the service of Ben Bishop. Team success is nice, but it is not everything with regard to the development of players. Some are just too good for the AHL, some need it.

VJeff posted:

I mean in all fairness that Admirals team was absurdly good and set a pro hockey record for consecutive wins that year and lost like two games in the playoffs. Then they lost the next year. :mmmhmm:

The Norfolk Admirals did not make the playoffs in the 2012-13 season. I know what you mean and anyway. The Crunch are playing a game next year at Syracuse University's Carrier Dome and I hope the Utica Comets defeat them by at least 2 goals.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Nice that he recycled the fabric off somebodies grandmothers recliner for that jacket.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

VJeff posted:

I mean in all fairness that Admirals team was absurdly good and set a pro hockey record for consecutive wins that year and lost like two games in the playoffs.

I've said this before but I seriously think that team could have beaten several NHL teams that year in a 7 game series. They were insane.

edit - Eakins is terrible and the Oilers are going to be really upset when Todd Nelson becomes a viable NHL coach

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
As long as he doesn't coach, whatever. Maybe he'd make a good GM/president of hockey things?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

bewbies posted:

I've said this before but I seriously think that team could have beaten several NHL teams that year in a 7 game series. They were insane.

edit - Eakins is terrible and the Oilers are going to be really upset when Todd Nelson becomes a viable NHL coach
Yeah..... yeah :sigh:

See also: Derek Laxdal

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I want Wayne Gretzky to be involved with the Caps because I want him to move here, increasing my chances of bumping into him on the street in my daily life. His skill as a hockey exec is irrelevant.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Heaf posted:

The Norfolk Admirals did not make the playoffs in the 2012-13 season. I know what you mean and anyway. The Crunch are playing a game next year at Syracuse University's Carrier Dome and I hope the Utica Comets defeat them by at least 2 goals.

i know why you hate the crunch, and i dont blame you, but i actually think they are going to have a decent team next year. the biggest issue on a terrible team this year was the defense, and well:

- former first round pick Slater Koekkoek will most likely start the year there, and maybe play a month or two before he blows out a shoulder as is tradition.

- Dylan Blujus and Jake Dotchin, who both had turnaround OHL overage seasons this year, will be playing in Syracuse. Maybe even slightly above average, which is a huge improvement.

- Cedric Paquette will most likely be back, and have another season of, well, seasoning in him. also he will have the experience to NOT TRIP SOMEONE RIGHT IN FRONT OF A REF IN A PLAYOFF ELIMINATION GAME.

- Henri Ikonen will be the latest "Too-Good-For-His-Draft-Position" player from yzerman's tenure

and finally, it looks like the goaltending situation will be shored up with Kristers Gudlevskis coming back for a full season, and with him, 19 year old phenom Andrey Vasilevski.

this is all added to the Vladislav Namestnikovs, Luke Witkowskis, and honestly - Kucherov will probably be down due to being waiver exempt (and Brett COnnolly isnt).

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
If Wayne Gretzky is anything other than President of Shaking Hands and Kissing Babies Operations then the Capitals are making a huge fuckoff mistake

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

bewbies posted:

Ah, the ol' "Could Alabama beat the Jaguars" conundrum. :allears:

(you're probably not wrong, the Jackets, Oilers and Habs were really, really bad that year)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

VJeff posted:

The Griffins have only been the Wings' affiliate since 2002. To show how little emphasis the team placed on player development before that they were sharing an AHL team with the Ducks after the A-Wings folded. I think they didn't even bother to have guys like Datsyuk or Zetterberg play minor league hockey in North America.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

mcvey posted:

As long as he doesn't coach, whatever. Maybe he'd make a good GM/president of hockey things?
He installed his friends in all positions when he was with the Coyotes. He is why Cliff Fletcher and Mike Barnett were the Coyotes GM. Enough people have forgot about Rick Tocchet's gambling ring clusterfuck while he was an assistant coach that Gretzky would probably be cool making him the new coach. Grant Fuhr can be your part time goalie coach since he'll be busy playing loving golf for 70% of practices, Holtby will love him.

The only hockey management position Gretzky didn't completely gently caress up was his involvement with Team Canada and that's almost impossible to botch.

He makes a good mascot and charity/fundraising host if that's something the Capitals need.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Greg McKegg is a wonderful name.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

deafmute posted:

The only hockey management position Gretzky didn't completely gently caress up was his involvement with Team Canada and that's almost impossible to botch.
I don't think you can honestly do a worse job than Gretzky did in 2006.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i miss the good ole days when this thread was about real bad teams and not all these poser bad teams that couldn't hack it in the playoffs

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I don't think you can honestly do a worse job than Gretzky did in 2006.
That was the "we need Draper but we don't need Sidney Crosby" selection year right?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

LmaoTheKid posted:

Greg McKegg is a wonderful name.

One of the top hockey names of modern times, imo.

So how likely is it that Halak doesn't sign with the Isles? Not having sub-.900 goaltending is distinctively not Isles-styles. I'm predicting he hilariously walks away. Or if he does sign, his recent groin issues will go full-blown DiPietro.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 5, 2014

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

One of the top hockey names of modern times, imo.

So how likely is it that Halak doesn't sign with the Isles? Not having sub-.900 goaltending is distinctively not Isles-styles. I'm predicting he hilariously walks away. Or if he does sign, his recent groin issues will go full-blown DiPietro.

They will likely offer him a good contract and the Islanders would be a place where Halak would be the undisputed No. 1, so it has some appeal.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

whatis posted:

i miss the good ole days when this thread was about real bad teams and not all these poser bad teams that couldn't hack it in the playoffs

The offseason comes for us all eventually, the worst are simply the first to feel its warm embrace

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Gunjin posted:

gently caress the Gretzky rumors, gently caress them all. He was a loving amazing player, and as good as he was as a player he's just as bad as an executive or coach. He needs to stay the gently caress away from hockey, go home, count his money and be a happy family millionaire in a way that won't embarrass anyone

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

TSN is expanding to five channels for some reason.

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/story/?id=451378

Creative naming.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
TSN8, The Ocho

IBurnStuffAlot
Feb 25, 2008

:siren:DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN:siren:

Rotten Cookies posted:

I dunno staple had this to say

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday posted:

May 1
Jaro Halak's agent @walsha tells me Halak "absolutely" has interest in signing long term with #Isles.

I figure he might sign for 2-3 years if we can actually pay him, what 5.5? He's guaranteed a starter spot and I bet the Isles are willing to wheel and deal seeing as Nabby is getting older, Nilsson said he won't play in the AHL (lol ok dude) and Poulin is not what Roy said he would be... and all three of them are unsigned as of yet.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Halak is in every way an upgrade over all other current NYI goaltenders and I am bummed that they may have plugged that huge hole

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Ulf Samuelsson, Kevin Dineen and Ed Olczyk will be amongst ex-teammates of CAR GM Ron Francis mentioned as potential coaching candidates.

If Olczyk was no longer on NBCSN I'd be pretty happy...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

deafmute posted:

If Olczyk was no longer on NBCSN I'd be pretty happy...

What's wrong with Olczyk? He's the most entertaining voice of the NBC group. :colbert:

He does have flashes of overly defending Chicago but compared to some of the other homers covering the game he's a paragon of commentating.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

IBurnStuffAlot posted:

I figure he might sign for 2-3 years if we can actually pay him, what 5.5? He's guaranteed a starter spot and I bet the Isles are willing to wheel and deal seeing as Nabby is getting older, Nilsson said he won't play in the AHL (lol ok dude) and Poulin is not what Roy said he would be... and all three of them are unsigned as of yet.

Didn't Ehrhoff say similar stuff about signing with the Isles too?

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

xzzy posted:

What's wrong with Olczyk? He's the most entertaining voice of the NBC group. :colbert:

He does have flashes of overly defending Chicago but compared to some of the other homers covering the game he's a paragon of commentating.

It's interesting that some Chicago fans think Olczyk sometimes goes out of his way to complain about the Blackhawks just to seem unbiased on national broadcasts, meanwhile other teams fans think he is a shameless homer. I guess people hear what they want to hear. Personally I think the duo of Foley & Olzcyk are one of the least biased of the local teams. They give credit to the opponent, slag bad plays by the Hawks and overall seem to bother telling things about the opponents players. Other local broadcasts can be really awful and sound like there is only one team playing the game with barely a mention that there is another team on the ice.

Emetic Hustler fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In a similar vein, holy hell did Bob Cole sound past it last night. I'm not even sure he knew what teams were playing at times.

• Locked thread