Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Macaluso posted:

Wreck-it Ralph lends itself way more to a sequel than Frozen does I think. I think you could do a lot of things with the Wreck-it Ralph world but Frozen should just get the Tangled treatment of doing a short based on it

It'd be difficult to get a great story built around it, but you could always explore the origins of Elsa's powers. Avoid midochlorians and it'd be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Das Boo posted:

It'd be difficult to get a great story built around it, but you could always explore the origins of Elsa's powers. Avoid midochlorians and it'd be fun.

It seems like one of those things where for every way to succeed, there's 20+ ways to fail.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I finally got around to seeing Frozen, and while I liked it, I'm actually super regretting not seeing it when it was still fresh. The magic was a bit ruined by its ubiquity in the cultural zeitgeist.

Basically, everyone spoiled it for me because I took too long to watch it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

wdarkk posted:

It seems like one of those things where for every way to succeed, there's 20+ ways to fail.

Yup, you'd have to tread carefully. But if you could pull it off, it'd make the success that much richer.
Not that I have much faith it could be done well, but it could be done. v:shobon:v

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Das Boo posted:

I don't think the origins would be that interesting, but instead, picture this -

Say that Elsa had a great-great-great aunt (or uncle) that had similar powers, but mysteriously disappeared in the North. When they go to look for him/her, they discover that he/she's still alive (because ice preserves) and has a small snow kingdom. Basically make it a "what if Elsa had ran away, without freezing everyone first?" sort of story.

Then you can delve into exactly why this ancestor left (maybe they thought that they were being exiled, and have it turn out that they were just misinterpreting things/being a martyr like Elsa). I think it could work out.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
No no, wait, I got this:

In a shocking twist, Hans' twelve older brothers are as bad as he is and it turns out his plans were part of a larger brotherly scheme to conquer thirteen kingdoms in the name of the Southern Isles. Their fraternal bonds reignited by Hans' defeat, the brothers formulate glorious revengeance on our beloved sisters and kidnap Anna, forcing Elsa to embark on a quest of her own through the twelve already-controlled kingdoms that may or may not be themed after the Twelve Days of Christmas (ed. need to decide on Spring or Winter release; Olaf in golden bling?). Along the way, she'll have to confront her fears of ice-olation and losing Anna in what will certainly not be a retread of the first movie.

OR

In a shocking twist, Anna and Elsa have a long lost sister with tropical sand powers who grew up under the harsh rule loving care of an emotionally manipulative elderly adoptive mother who keeps her cooped up in an elegant sand castle where her only companions are some goofy sandmen (ed. just recolor the snow assets; Sand Olaf in ski gear?). Heretofore unmentioned connections between winter and death and summer and life are established in a misguided move for a more overtly faithful adaptation of Andersen's story when it's revealed that Sandy's powers can revitalize people by striking their hearts, and so she refuses to join her sisters and leave her mother to die. Taking cues from another highly anticipated animated sequel, stirring messages about the meaning of family are thrown out the window when the adoptive mother turns out to be evil after all and way too much screentime is given to the weird sand golems. All the while, Anna silently wonders how she got the short end of the magic stick.

OR

In a shocking twist, Olaf gets a little lonely being the only living snowman around (nobody remembers Marshmallow) and asks Elsa to make more snowpeople. She does so, allowing for token cameos of the old characters before the movie abandons them and focuses entirely on Olaf's new friends and their wacky hijinks (ed. see about getting Josh to voice everyone; Olafs everywhere). That's pretty much it.

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if we see some DTV project focusing on Olaf somewhere down the line.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Frozen 2: Hans and Kristoff are Secret Brothers! Oh, No!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
In Frozen 2 Elsa has to beat Olaf to death while crying

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Looper posted:

No no, wait, I got this:

In a shocking twist, Hans' twelve older brothers are as bad as he is and it turns out his plans were part of a larger brotherly scheme to conquer thirteen kingdoms in the name of the Southern Isles. Their fraternal bonds reignited by Hans' defeat, the brothers formulate glorious revengeance on our beloved sisters and kidnap Anna, forcing Elsa to embark on a quest of her own through the twelve already-controlled kingdoms that may or may not be themed after the Twelve Days of Christmas (ed. need to decide on Spring or Winter release; Olaf in golden bling?). Along the way, she'll have to confront her fears of ice-olation and losing Anna in what will certainly not be a retread of the first movie.

If DisneyToon wasn't busy making Planes movies they'd probably hire you!

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Rita Repulsa posted:

In Frozen 2 Elsa has to beat Olaf to death while crying

Well, sometimes things get dark.

If the Nolanification of Hollywood progressed to the point there was going to be a dark and gritty Frozen movie, I'd rather see the terrifying political realities of a kingdom ruled by a living weapon of mass destruction. Southern Isles getting uppity over the whole "punched our prince" thing? Hope they like having a month of snowstorms whenever it's time to harvest.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

their next big project is Moana, the Hawaiian/Polynesia based one.

Why can't they do more than one project at once?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Charlz Guybon posted:

Why can't they do more than one project at once?

Uh, they do?

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, if you want to see what working on one project at a time really looks like, just check out their output in the 60s and 70s.

The Sword in the Stone (1963)
The Jungle Book (1967)
The Aristocats (1970)
Robin Hood (1973)
The Rescuers (1977)
The Fox and the Hound (1981)
The Black Cauldron (1985)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Corek posted:

Yeah, if you want to see what working on one project at a time really looks like, just check out their output in the 60s and 70s.

The Sword in the Stone (1963)
The Jungle Book (1967)
The Aristocats (1970)
Robin Hood (1973)
The Rescuers (1977)
The Fox and the Hound (1981)
The Black Cauldron (1985)

How did those take so long and also were made so cheaply/poorly/full of recycling?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vargo posted:

How did those take so long and also were made so cheaply/poorly/full of recycling?

It's my understanding that at that point in the studio's history, there was just a barebones representation to keep the parks relevant.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Pick posted:

It's my understanding that at that point in the studio's history, there was just a barebones representation to keep the parks relevant.

The idea of that seems so insane to me. For a company considered an institution, Disney has had these really wild, dramatic swings in output. Was the animation division ever on the verge?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cardboard Box A posted:

WW2 Zombies is still cool and effective and the weird unreality of the rotoscoping works well for that short.

To be honest, the first time I saw Heavy Metal, I was flipping channels late at night and flipped to TNT or TBS or something right before this sequence started. I thought it was the coolest movie ever at the time.

Then I saw the rest of it on DVD some years later...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The idea of that seems so insane to me. For a company considered an institution, Disney has had these really wild, dramatic swings in output. Was the animation division ever on the verge?

I think, during the period in question, Disney animated movies definitely fell out of vogue. There was a shift towards less traditional animated fare like Ralph Bakshi's stuff and Heavy Metal and what have you. Disney switched their focus to more mature live action films like The Black Hole and Tron. Their cartoons were kind of an afterthought up until the mid to late 80s.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Vargo posted:

I left out Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh from 1977 because that literally was a recycling of old shorts, one of which was so old it was made when Walt was alive.

You can see why Don Bluth was able to convince a lot of the newer animators to leave with him.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I believe also that towards the end of Walt's life, he wanted to try things other then Animation, thus the long string of live-action flicks and TV Series (Pollyanna, Parent Trap, Darby O'Gill and the Little People, Davy Crockett, Zorro etc) to mixed results so they didn't get quite the same detail and care that we're used to.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Disney was cranking out throwaway live action features like crazy in the seventies.

Also, a lot of people forget that Disney was still re-issuing features into theaters regularly. Almost all the pre-1970 animated feature was re-released from 1970-1979 except for The Reluctant Dragon, Victory Through Air Power, and Melody Time. They probably made more money from the re-issues than the new films, with the exception of The Rescuers (which was a box office hit).

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Egbert Souse posted:

Disney was cranking out throwaway live action features like crazy in the seventies.

Also, a lot of people forget that Disney was still re-issuing features into theaters regularly. Almost all the pre-1970 animated feature was re-released from 1970-1979 except for The Reluctant Dragon, Victory Through Air Power, and Melody Time. They probably made more money from the re-issues than the new films, with the exception of The Rescuers (which was a box office hit).

Oh yeah, I forgot about those constant reissues. That was why they have the Disney Vault nowadays, so that they could keep up the eternal limited release of old movies.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Corek posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about those constant reissues. That was why they have the Disney Vault nowadays, so that they could keep up the eternal limited release of old movies.

I honestly don't get why Disney doesn't try at least limited theatrical re-releases of the older films since they have 4K masters for most of them. While I don't care for 3-D conversions, it would be a way to get Snow White and Fantasia back into theaters. Besides, Walt himself was OK with Fantasia being modified to widescreen (with shot-by-shot adjustments) in the 1950s.

I'd hope I'm not the only one a bit curious to see what Night on Bald Mountain looks like in 3-D.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 5, 2014

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Snow White would keep no one's attention these days, but I'd love to see an IMAX Sleeping Beauty.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

Snow White would keep no one's attention these days, but I'd love to see an IMAX Sleeping Beauty.

screw Disney films I want to see WB actually bring back Cats dont dance or Iron Giant to theaters with a proper marketing this time.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Yawgmoft posted:

Wow, I think of the exact opposite.

Snow White had good visuals, original music, adorable dwarves who contribute physical comedy while all being distinct, an expressive heroine, and a fantastically reserved Evil Queen.

Sleeping Beauty had ASTOUNDING visuals - but pre-existing music taken from a ballet, the most horrifically incompetent and annoying sidekicks ever, a glassy-eyed princess who has only 10 lines of dialogue, a prince who has the fairies do literally all the work for him, and a villain who is all hype.

Animation-wise, Sleeping Beauty is magnificent, but as an actual movie it's boring as poo poo. Snow White's where it's at, man. That forest scene still gives me the willies.

Edit: I am TOTALLY down for the Malificent movie, though. Angelina Jolie looks amazing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sleeping Beauty truly is a visual spectacle and, in my mind, little else.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

AnimeJune posted:

Edit: I am TOTALLY down for the Malificent movie, though. Angelina Jolie looks amazing.

I'm really not. It feels too much to me like Disney is trying to ride Wicked's success, combined with the fact that they did their own Oz prequel as well.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pick posted:

Sleeping Beauty truly is a visual spectacle and, in my mind, little else.

Sleeping Beauty was gorgeous, but I loving hated those stupidass fairies and overall the movie was boring.

But Snow White is also boring and the worst princess. Also Cinderella. I want to see none of those movies re-released.

The guy who said Cats Don't Dance: YES please. Then re-release it on DVD in loving WIDESCREEN. This full screen bullshit has gone on LONG ENOUGH

AnimeJune posted:

I am just so NOT excited for that movie at all, and Angelina Jolie being the one playing Malificent (who I already am not a huge fan of villain wise) just makes me SO uninterested. I'd rather see like, the chick who plays Regina on Once Upon a Time take on the role instead.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Jeffrey Katzenberg hated The Black Cauldron so much (basically the only thing he and I agree on), he was tempted to close down the entire animation studio - and this was despite The Rescuers breaking box office records. The modest success of The Great Mouse Detective saved it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Cats Don't Dance was such a good movie. It's one of those movies that really can't get enough word of mouth since no one actually saw it when it came out. Seriously, Tell Me Lies is so drat good I put it on youtube now and then when I'm in a bad mood as a pick me up.

Darla Dimple remains one of the most entertaining cartoon villains ever.

Sleeping Beauty would be really really pretty in glorious IMAX HD, lack of real plot aside. I would love to see more Disney rereleases. When the Lion King came out again a couple years back it was such a huge nostalgia trip (I wore out the VCR tape when I was a kid). I thought it did really well in theaters while it was out too.

Why'd they stop doing that? I was kinda hoping it would be a thing and we'd get a few more at least.

e: The only good thing about Black Cauldron is it might have got some more kids to read The Pyrdain Chronicles, which is an excellent little fantasy series.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

While Sleeping Beauty would be enhanced by the scale, it's a pretty mediocre film outside of the magnificent visuals. And I really doubt anyone wants to pay $20 for a 75 minute film. I guess they could add the live-action Grand Canyon short that was originally attached, but it'll bore children out of their minds.

One idea would be Disney publicizing it as "An Evening with Walt Disney". There's enough Disneyland TV show footage to create a synthetic program before the film consisting of Walt talking about the making of the film, essential cartoons (like The Band Concert and The Old Mill), then the film itself. Maybe afterward show the handful of deleted scenes that survived. No modern music video bullshit or talking heads about how important it is.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Didn't they just release Beauty and the Beast a year ago or whatever? I thought we were in the middle of 90s animated movie re-releases.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Then I don't see what the problem would be with starting work on a Frozen sequel.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Egbert Souse posted:

While Sleeping Beauty would be enhanced by the scale, it's a pretty mediocre film outside of the magnificent visuals. And I really doubt anyone wants to pay $20 for a 75 minute film. I guess they could add the live-action Grand Canyon short that was originally attached, but it'll bore children out of their minds.

One idea would be Disney publicizing it as "An Evening with Walt Disney". There's enough Disneyland TV show footage to create a synthetic program before the film consisting of Walt talking about the making of the film, essential cartoons (like The Band Concert and The Old Mill), then the film itself. Maybe afterward show the handful of deleted scenes that survived. No modern music video bullshit or talking heads about how important it is.

Alternatively, one night only, live event presented in IMAX, aimed at animation aficionados. Opens up with a talk by an animation historian, followed by the old mill. Then another brief talk introducing Sleeping Beauty, then the film with roundtable commentary over top the film discussing the production, with some riffing on the less good parts.

They could then follow up with a limited release of song of the south, releasing their entire library on Netflix, abolishing the Disney vault, and a million dollars please.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Charlz Guybon posted:

Then I don't see what the problem would be with starting work on a Frozen sequel.

Uh, why?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

It'd be real bad though

I mean, Disney's got a track record of what, two or three good sequels?

e: If this starts an argument, I want it stated for the record that Winnie the Pooh and Fantasia 2000 are unimpeachable works of art.

Looper fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 6, 2014

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012

Looper posted:

It'd be real bad though

e: If this starts an argument, I want it stated for the record that Winnie the Pooh and Fantasia 2000 are unimpeachable works of art.

But Fantasia and Winnie the Pooh were made by WDAS whereas most other sequels were made by DisneyToons and only intended to be DTV. A Frozen sequel would presumably be made by WDAS as well and should be superior in quality and production values to the usual DTV stuff.

Not that I want a sequel. And if it gets made, it doesn't look to be anytime soon.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
You're right, and I am being unfair to DisneyToon (who have made good movies!), but I'm also kinda skeptical that a hypothetical sequel would be handled by the big budget studio even though Frozen's been unimaginably popular.

e: Actually apparently I'm dumb and DisneyToon doesn't do that anymore anyway! Oops.

Looper fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Looper posted:

It'd be real bad though

And Rescuers Down Under gave my eyes diabetes. :colbert:

• Locked thread