Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doronin posted:

I finally finished season 2, so I can read this thread without risk. That was some of the most addicting TV I've seen in a long while, and I normally don't get into political dramas.

I don't know about 'glossed over,' because Frank made it a personal mission to utterly destroy the guy that was appointed SoS, and some of the aftermath of his actions are still out there putting him at risk, namely, Rachel and Gavin the computer hacker. That series of events has remained fairly prevalent, even if slightly muted, for all 26 episodes.

I think he was saying he wanted to know what led up to the circumstance that had Frank get passed over, not stuff that happened after. He wanted backstory.

They basically went, "Hey, Frank. Yada yada yada, and that's why you can't be Secretary." The reason about them needing him in the senate or house or whatever was really just an excuse.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wasn't it because Tusk advisedtold Walker to keep Frank where he was?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

Wasn't it because Tusk advisedtold Walker to keep Frank where he was?

I think so, but whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drifter posted:

I think so, but whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!?!

It's been awhile since I watched but I vaguely recall it being something about Tusk (probably quite rightly) thinking that Walker wasn't strong enough to keep the party in line, and that Frank's low profile was a sign of a willingness to stay behind the scenes, so he would be better suited to Walker's (really Tusk's) administration if he remained where he was.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Started watching because Netflix was begging me and handed me a free month at the recommendation of Debate & Discussion and the new CoD trailer.

Watching Season 2, Episode 1 right now.

:stare:

Holy.

loving.

poo poo.

Rating it 5 stars.

That's all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Well gently caress, now I want to actually play a CoD game. :negative:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Zwabu posted:

No, my point is that Pres. Walker and his Chief of Staff seemed to take the whole matter of going back on their promise to Frank to make him SoS a lot more lightly than would seem appropriate, it was basically "well we need you a lot more in the House, so are you on the team or not, can we count on you?" Not that the event itself wasn't a big deal, as it catalyzed the entire plot.

It's a scenario as well where Walker is throwing power around. I like to read it that nobody likes Frank. Period. He's a "man of the party" but nobody likes him at all, and most everyone who has interactions with him in the show rarely demonstrates any amount of actual fondness for him. He's very, very good at being a whip though, and Walker knows THAT. Walker seems to have surrounded himself, as any sensible President does, with people whom he liked or had good relationships with. Frank wasn't ever really part of that team. Tusk may have had his reasons to eliminate Frank, but I think it was a matter of Walker needing to show that he's willing to throw some weight around, and keeping Frank in the trenches was meant to intimidate him a bit. Remember, you work for ME, Frank, and I can end you in a second. Unfortunately, Walker is incompetant...and Frank only works for Frank.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It's a scenario as well where Walker is throwing power around. I like to read it that nobody likes Frank. Period. He's a "man of the party" but nobody likes him at all, and most everyone who has interactions with him in the show rarely demonstrates any amount of actual fondness for him. He's very, very good at being a whip though, and Walker knows THAT. Walker seems to have surrounded himself, as any sensible President does, with people whom he liked or had good relationships with. Frank wasn't ever really part of that team. Tusk may have had his reasons to eliminate Frank, but I think it was a matter of Walker needing to show that he's willing to throw some weight around, and keeping Frank in the trenches was meant to intimidate him a bit. Remember, you work for ME, Frank, and I can end you in a second. Unfortunately, Walker is incompetant...and Frank only works for Frank.

I definitely concur with the idea that probably nobody actually likes Frank, and it fits in with my own personal theory that Frank got as far as he did by making everybody think he's an unassuming country bumpkin who happens to be a drat good legislator. A lot of the plot makes more sense if you assume that everybody thinks that Frank is kinda stupid, and it fits with how his plans work out. He usually manages to make it look like he bungled his way into success, like with the education bill leaking, Russo falling off the wagon, and the entire half of the second season, where he makes the president look like an idiot and nearly compromises the entire administration.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

DStecks posted:

I definitely concur with the idea that probably nobody actually likes Frank, and it fits in with my own personal theory that Frank got as far as he did by making everybody think he's an unassuming country bumpkin who happens to be a drat good legislator. A lot of the plot makes more sense if you assume that everybody thinks that Frank is kinda stupid, and it fits with how his plans work out. He usually manages to make it look like he bungled his way into success, like with the education bill leaking, Russo falling off the wagon, and the entire half of the second season, where he makes the president look like an idiot and nearly compromises the entire administration.

This is even more the case in the UK version, where Urquhart plays up his stupidity and even his age when dealing with people around him. He's very naturally doddering and kind of wide-eyed in response to things, even though he's actually so utterly vile and sinister that every time he smiles, a cancer cell is born. Frank plays the everyman role, Urquhart definitely plays the dolt...all the way up to the point when the Prime Minister gives him his job and THANKS HIM for taking it. After that, he goes full Thatcher...and actually then proves himself to be rather incompetent.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

So, uh, is Stamper dead? I mean I know she whacked him in the head with a rock and that's not good for anyone, but I'm thinking unconsciousness/concussion, not death, right? As to whether he wakes up and is able to get to civilization before he's eaten by wolves...

I really enjoyed season 2. The final episode after Frank is sworn in and he knocks his hand on the desk in the Oval Office while staring directly at the camera, it actually gave me goosebumps.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The Midniter posted:

So, uh, is Stamper dead? I mean I know she whacked him in the head with a rock and that's not good for anyone, but I'm thinking unconsciousness/concussion, not death, right? As to whether he wakes up and is able to get to civilization before he's eaten by wolves...

He's just pining.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Midniter posted:

He looked dead as gently caress to me. Usually people in a coma don't have open, glazed over eyes.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
He dead.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think he just got the alcoholism knocked out of him. He'll be alright and ready to go for season 3, guys.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Zwabu posted:

No, my point is that Pres. Walker and his Chief of Staff seemed to take the whole matter of going back on their promise to Frank to make him SoS a lot more lightly than would seem appropriate, it was basically "well we need you a lot more in the House, so are you on the team or not, can we count on you?" Not that the event itself wasn't a big deal, as it catalyzed the entire plot.

Oh, I see what you mean now. You're right, the way it was acted out came off really blase, which even struck me on the first episode.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Doronin posted:

Oh, I see what you mean now. You're right, the way it was acted out came off really blase, which even struck me on the first episode.

It makes a little more sense if you accept the theory that everybody thinks Frank is a simple country bumpkin, who probably wouldn't be hurt that much by the betrayal.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

DStecks posted:

It makes a little more sense if you accept the theory that everybody thinks Frank is a simple country bumpkin, who probably wouldn't be hurt that much by the betrayal.

But I can't imagine anyone who's a DC insider thinking this. If he's been Whip for that long, he definitely has a reputation for being a hardass who is anything but simple.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Xealot posted:

But I can't imagine anyone who's a DC insider thinking this. If he's been Whip for that long, he definitely has a reputation for being a hardass who is anything but simple.

He's also the guy who has come across as ruthlessly pragmatic to all the insiders, the one who tells them to put aside their own vanity and self-interest and do what is good for the party (and he'll make sure they're taken care of for their "loyalty"). So it's not too surprising that Walker or Vasquez thought that he would be equally pragmatic himself and accept the decision to keep him where he was because they "needed" him there.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

He's also the guy who has come across as ruthlessly pragmatic to all the insiders, the one who tells them to put aside their own vanity and self-interest and do what is good for the party (and he'll make sure they're taken care of for their "loyalty"). So it's not too surprising that Walker or Vasquez thought that he would be equally pragmatic himself and accept the decision to keep him where he was because they "needed" him there.

Thinking about it like that, it seems their fatal mistake was thinking Frank had political ambitions instead of merely power ones. I'm not sure how they could have believed that of him if they'd worked with him so closely for so long though. In the whole run of the show we've never seen him bother to muster up any real passion for a cause, and convincing other people about a project's value to the public good takes a distant third to backscratching and bribery when he's negotiating with someone.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GameSpot has some fun with Kevin Spacey being in the new Call of Duty game :mmmhmm:

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

This is incredibly well done. In a world full of lovely parodies of things, especially gaming related, this really stands out as being great.

Onionetta
Aug 16, 2009

UtahIsNotAState posted:

I thought that was really really weird too. I think it's definitely going to come back and bite francis in the rear end because in episode 6 we see this for a brief second:

For those needing a refresher, it was shown when lucas's old newspaper friend was doing all the research to write the article for Lucas. Clearly they had access to some sort of version of the video where they can take screenshots of it, but I couldn't exactly figure out how they got access to it because the cop says they didn't release the video out of respect to the parents of Zoe.

Sorry to quote this all the way from February, but in that scene, that photograph is actually together with photos of Peter Russo's car in his garage. It looks more like the garage than the train station too, with the lighting. Anyway, it's been bugging me, cause if they've got a screenshot of a mysterious figure leaving the car box scene of a Congressman's suicide... Why is nobody investigating this? And if it's meant to have been covered up, how did Tom, who's sceptical at best and really only digging as a favour to Lucas, get his hands on it?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Haven't seen it discussed, but I liked the implied reason for Frank accepting Meechums birthday present.

Frank craves power and admiration, but doesn't like to be beholden to people and has little time for those he see's as having no self-respect. We have that first birthday gift scene with instructions on how to dispose of the presents and the cards being trashed because Frank is not at all interested in having a personal fact (in this case his birthday) exploited by others in an attempt to gain favour.

Meechum however isn't giving a gift to try and look good in Franks eyes. He knows Frank doesn't like birthdays but gives him the gift apologetically. When Frank takes it, it's almost as if he is doing Meechum a favour. Frank lives permanently on guard of opening himself up to exploitation, but in this case he is being a gift because the givee likes him, not his power.

zeroozero
Jun 19, 2014

Senor Tron posted:

but in this case he is being a gift because the givee likes him, not his power.

What exactly do you mean here?

You bring up a very good point, but I think a couple areas are fuzzy. Why would Meechum want to give Frank a birthday present if not to look good in Frank's eyes as you say? Maybe it's more that Meechum wants to be acknowledged and respected by Frank because Meechum admires Frank?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

zeroozero posted:

What exactly do you mean here?

You bring up a very good point, but I think a couple areas are fuzzy. Why would Meechum want to give Frank a birthday present if not to look good in Frank's eyes as you say? Maybe it's more that Meechum wants to be acknowledged and respected by Frank because Meechum admires Frank?

That's exactly it: Frank views the birthday presents at his office as attempts to curry favour which can be used later, whereas Meechum's gift is a genuine expression of gratitude. Frank also has nothing to fear from Meechum using the gift as leverage, since he's so thoroughly indebted to Frank already. Presumably Frank would also accept a gift from Stamper, but he knows Frank well enough not to bother.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

DStecks posted:

That's exactly it: Frank views the birthday presents at his office as attempts to curry favour which can be used later, whereas Meechum's gift is a genuine expression of gratitude. Frank also has nothing to fear from Meechum using the gift as leverage, since he's so thoroughly indebted to Frank already. Presumably Frank would also accept a gift from Stamper, but he knows Frank well enough not to bother.

Exactly. The gift came right after Meechum told Frank about his Secret Service Training starting soon. Everything about that gift, the sheepish comments from Meechum hoping it was not inappropriate, and even the crude wrapping which looks like it was done by Meechum, gives that gratitude vibe. Frank wore those cuff links throughout the rest of the Season, correct?

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Not to derail, but I was surprised (and glad) to see that Corey Stoll is making the jump to (what will most likely be) a pretty bankable movie.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/corey-stoll-evangeline-lilly-join-ant-man-1201269702/

quote:

Corey Stoll will play the villain Yellowjacket (AKA Darren Cross) in Marvel’s “Ant-Man,” the studio announced on Saturday evening at Comic-Con.

I really liked him as Russo, and was a little bummed he didn't get a redemption story in HoC.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Knight2m posted:

I really liked him as Russo, and was a little bummed he didn't get a redemption story in HoC.

He got half of one. :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Speaking of Russo, I'm hoping that Christina's plotline hasn't fizzled out - she was pretty much on the sideline for season 2 and really only seemed to be there to give Claire a way to wedge her way into the First Lady's confidence. She had such a large role in season 1 and proved to be pretty competent (if a little naive), and I'd be disappointed if she just disappeared from the show.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

JohnSherman posted:

He got half of one. :smith:

Russo is one of the few fictional characters whose death legitimately bummed me out. If Frank Underwood were any other character, that would be his moral point of no return, but it's kind of moot since redemption for Frank is obviously out of the question from the first moment.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Something something, dark, gritty and realistic? Would've been a nice character profession through.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I just finished season two and... I don't really get why everyone is sad for Stamper.

I mean part of it is that I never really got his character. Sure, he's loyal to Frank because he got a second chance. Fine. But he's an AA meeting-attending alcoholic who takes the whole thing very seriously. Presumably including the higher power thing. Meanwhile he certainly knows with the Russo thing that he's covering up a murder along with arranging to wreck the man's life.

a) Do you know of any higher powers that agree with murder? Or covering it up?

b) He knows the law and that he's getting proper hosed if he does anything the slightest bit wrong (which indeed he does).

c) He knows Frank. Frank throws people away. He's been around long enough to see that. Especially when Sean comes on, he's got to see that coming.

Meanwhile, he's just an unrelenting creep. Not just to Rachel, whose life he ran into the ground, and he was starting with her as a prostitute. He's weird with Frank, I mean who knows how many times he got the Meachum treatment but maybe without Claire. I dunno, I just didn't get the character at all.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Is anyone really sad for Stamper? I think it's just some people thought he was interesting as a character and maybe wanted to see more, but they agree that he was a dick.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
I thought Stamper was a very intriguing character, particularly in season one. Yes, what he did to Russo was pure evil but hey, being a recovering alcoholic and a manipulative psychopath aren't mutually exclusive. Season two he got really creepy and his emotional abuse towards Rachel bothered me a lot more than what he did to gently caress over Russo, for some reason.

Also, there's tons of atheists in AA who just pay lip service to the whole 'higher power' thing. I knew a guy in AA who told me Mr. T was his higher power and he had 15+ years sobriety under his belt so something was working for him.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I liked Stamper

even though he was a creepy gently caress

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
I was sad he died as an interesting character and Franks right hand man, get shot done sorta guy. I wonder who will be replacing Franks evil henchmen.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Babygravy posted:

I was sad he died as an interesting character and Franks right hand man, get shot done sorta guy. I wonder who will be replacing Franks evil henchmen.

I think there's already a guy lined up. That guy that Remy hired to spy on Frank, but he turned his coat. Forgot his name.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just finished the second season...

So, with Walker resigning, he still could face jailtime, correct? I just read a few pages ago in this thread that Frank might be able to pardon him from this. Is that true?

Also, the reporter that came back in the final episodes (that was with Zoe and the male editor who then went off to teach) completely caught me offguard. I figured she was just going to stick with teaching, but then when she came back as a journalist, it had been a few episodes and I thought it was just someone who looked familiar.

Excited for the inevitable downfall of Mr. President in S3!

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Downfall? No.

This season Frank plans on becoming president of all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So was the dealings with China in S2 just foreshadowing for a foreign-diplomacy centered season in which Frank becomes the undisputed master of the world? I can get behind that.

• Locked thread