Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Shoulda gone with

That picture is how I felt on my ZX-10 and a small (very, very small) part of me is relieved it's gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Snowdens Secret posted:

Shoulda gone with

I would be all :spergin: and say "that's a Ducati", but there's no coffee shop in that picture.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The best part of song of the sausage creature is that Thompson was on a Ducati 900SS, which is basically the babby version of the 916, which is slow and heavy bike by any modern standard.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Beach Bum posted:

Fair enough, I didn't consider that. I just wish that had been clearly communicated to us instead of conflicting actions. I started riding through after I got yelled at for stopping, and then a guy dropped a bike on the other half of the course exercise we were doing, and I get yelled at for NOT stopping (by the same dude). For a new rider putting safety above all else it was confusing.
Ridercoaches vary a lot. Some of them aren't that good. My mom took the class with some old husband/wife couple teaching it who taught everyone to kill the engine and coast before coming to a stop, apparently because they were too lazy to walk back through the line of bikes and say "thumb key valve" to each rider.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Shoulda gone with

Love that drawing :hfive:

Z3n posted:

The best part of song of the sausage creature is that Thompson was on a Ducati 900SS, which is basically the babby version of the 916, which is slow and heavy bike by any modern standard.

The article, and specifically the part about the Duc being "too fast" was obviously Thompson's thank-you-for-the-bike;here's-your-gonzo-review, but it is still pretty funny in retrospect. I'm sure in his perma-fried state, having not ridden much since Hell's Angels and his BSA 650, that the 900SS felt like a rocket ship 900micrograms of LSD and a Burmese prostitute pouring cocaine in your eye-sockets, ho ho ho!

As a side note, a short followup article I just came across by a gal from Cycleworld after the fact (note bits of Thompson's infectious style leaking in).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Love that drawing :hfive:

The article, and specifically the part about the Duc being "too fast" was obviously Thompson's thank-you-for-the-bike;here's-your-gonzo-review, but it is still pretty funny in retrospect. I'm sure in his perma-fried state, having not ridden much since Hell's Angels and his BSA 650, that the 900SS felt like a rocket ship 900micrograms of LSD and a Burmese prostitute pouring cocaine in your eye-sockets, ho ho ho!

As a side note, a short followup article I just came across by a gal from Cycleworld after the fact (note bits of Thompson's infectious style leaking in).

Well, yeah, one of the wonders of bikes is how they all feel fast when you take a break from them for awhile. I just wish that he had the chance to ride and write on something faster, having to up his gonzoness to the next level.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Snowdens Secret posted:

Shoulda gone with

When I got my KTM I became all:

Riding two-up brings me squarely back to touring territory, which can be very relaxing for a change :v:

Hmmm... Now which is my new desktop...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

More like a monster with fairings.

Thompson never let facts and reality get in the way of a good story.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me
An observation: tonight I was at a buddy's late and had to ride home with my visor up, as I forgot to pack my clear visor. On the highway I let my mouth agape and I was automatically getting some circular breathing action. It felt really weird... I was getting proper circulation without any effort. The wind was forcing air up my nose and I guess I was exhaling a minimal amount at a very subconscious level. A very trippy feeling.

A question: does anybody else here really enjoy the olfactory senses while on a bike? Normally my ol' schnoz doesn't work so well, but the moving air really helps. As such, I find that almost all scents are, at the very least, interesting. Even normally unpleasant scents like stagnant water in the middle of a park are kind of enjoyable while whirring along.

I really can't wait for the summer to return, because that's when the scents of the local flora and fauna go on hyperdrive. I think my absolute favorite sensation on earth -- no exaggeration, better than sex -- is to take a late-night ride on a July or August weekend through the state park and farmland to inhale the wonderful smells of the trees, grass, and other greenery, especially as the air cools off from a hot, humid day.

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 6, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mguirk the jerk posted:

A question: does anybody else here really enjoy the olfactory senses while on a bike? Normally my ol' schnoz doesn't work so well, but the moving air really helps. As such, I find that almost all scents are, at the very least, interesting. Even normally unpleasant scents like stagnant water in the middle of a park are kind of enjoyable while whirring along.

Yes. It was one of the most surprising things to me about riding a motorcycle, and also one of the nicest. Smelling the change in the air as you ride from a sunny farmer's field to a shady tree-lined road to a misty ocean bridge to a cool underground tunnel to a street full of restaurants is really wonderful.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

mguirk the jerk posted:

An observation: tonight I was at a buddy's late and had to ride home with my visor up, as I forgot to pack my clear visor. On the highway I let my mouth agape and I was automatically getting some circular breathing action. It felt really weird... I was getting proper circulation without any effort. The wind was forcing air up my nose and I guess I was exhaling a minimal amount at a very subconscious level. A very trippy feeling.

I really can't wait for the summer to return, because that's when the scents of the local flora and fauna go on hyperdrive. I think my absolute favorite sensation on earth -- no exaggeration, better than sex -- is to take a late-night ride on a July or August weekend through the state park and farmland to inhale the wonderful smells of the trees, grass, and other greenery, especially as the air cools off from a hot, humid day.

Welcome back fixed gear guy we missed you

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me

nsaP posted:

Welcome back fixed gear guy we missed you

Sarcasm?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah, characters like you keep it interesting. I had used you as a typical 'bottle rocket' rider, shooting up and blowing real quick, cause you went from 250-msf instructor monster rider-sold bike in under a year.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mguirk the jerk posted:

I ride by a Miller Brewing plant on Highway 210. I don't like their beer, but the warm bready scent of it brewing is incredible. On warm days it is a meal unto itself.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

mguirk the jerk posted:

I love when I'm approaching a VW on the highway, and I can go "yup, that's a TDI" before I can make out the emblem on the trunk, I love the smell of diesel exhaust. One of the best things about motorcycling is how all your senses are more alert and exposed than in a car, with the exception of hearing due to constant wind noise.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When you live in a country packed with hosed old 90's JDM diesel suv's that sensation gets old loving fast.

At least they're slow.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mguirk the jerk posted:

no exaggeration, better than sex

:heysexy:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

So I got to the DMV in the nick of time. I may have also taken the most horrible picture known to man, being hot and sweaty after a frantic drive to the DMV in a no AC Miata with the top down in 95F weather.
I don't think it's possible to have a good driver's license/ID/passport picture. Everyone I know looks like a russian mobster on their ID, including myself.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

mguirk the jerk posted:

I have a very good sense of smell (due to a big schnozz) and spring flowers and mowed grass on a motorcycle are wonderful. It's an olfactory doppler effect.

General question: is it possible to skid the front wheel without high-siding?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MoraleHazard posted:

Yep. Crashes caused by loss of front traction are usually low-sides.

Also, yes, it's possible to recover from a front wheel skid. Just be light and loose on the bars and let the bike save itself.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Re: smells, everything is blooming here and it's great. Back in the bay area, the stretch of 580 right below richmond was next to either a brewery or a huge bakery, it always smelled wonderfully bread-y there. Big stands of pines or redwoods on a summer day, rolling grassy fields, the quality of pot that dude at the crosswalk is smoking, and so on :swoon:

Smelling the cow transporter or garbage truck half a mile up the road is not so great, though.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

M42 posted:

Smelling the cow transporter or garbage truck half a mile up the road is not so great, though.

Yep. I have to alter my commute in the spring because there is a huge corporate farm that is always hauling tankers full of (literal) poo poo up the road. They are messy and get it all over the road, and it is easy to get stuck behind the trucks because they go back and forth all day from the poo poo-storage yard to the corn fields up the road.

Going by a freshly mowed hay field is wonderful though!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Also, yes, it's possible to recover from a front wheel skid. Just be light and loose on the bars and let the bike save itself.
The first close call I had on my bike was when I braked a bit too hard on a road marking and felt the front wheel slip a few inches to the side. I didn't have time to react before it had grip again though so the bike just straightened itself out.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Safety Dance posted:

Ok, thank you.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

M42 posted:

... everything is blooming here and it's great ... rolling grassy fields

These same things made me stop and buy some antihistamines on the way to Skyline this weekend. I probably looked high walking into Walgreens. :saddowns:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

mguirk the jerk posted:

An observation:

I always thought riding cleared up hangovers well. Wake up early on a Saturday after a night of drinking before it gets warm and go for a quick ride. Something about the wind beating on your face and the need to focus clears them up quickly for me.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Mcqueen posted:

I always thought riding cleared up hangovers well. Wake up early on a Saturday after a night of drinking before it gets warm and go for a quick ride. Something about the wind beating on your face and the need to focus clears them up quickly for me.

howtocrash.txt

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah I dunno about that. Call me a fair-weather rider but I don't ride if I'm not feeling right. There's plenty of dangerous things on the road already...no sense in adding fatigue, anger, dizziness, distraction, or whatever to the mix.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

MoraleHazard posted:

High side is generally a slide in the rear. The rear wheel swings out farther than it should be for the turn. When it regains traction, it wants to snap back into line, pulling it into the curve, which naturally wants to stand the bike up quickly, which can have the effect of flinging the rider bodily off. Watch a slo-mo highside from MotoGP or something and this becomes clear.

Mcqueen posted:

Forcing extra oxygen into your system is a really common way of curing / coping with hangovers, ask any nurse type / pilot / anyone with oxygen tanks handy. Ram air does a swell job of this. Of course you still need to rehydrate / get your blood sugar back up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

I've locked the front braking a couple of times by getting too loving grabby with it, and basically lucked into not dropping the bike. I do not expect this feat to repeat itself the next time I lock the front.

NeuralSpark posted:

These same things made me stop and buy some antihistamines on the way to Skyline this weekend. I probably looked high walking into Walgreens. :saddowns:

I've got what amounts to a chronic cough from poo poo running down the back of my throat due to allergies. I am so glad meth cooks haven't killed off the ability to buy real Sudafed here, even if you have to get it with ibuprofen in it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How long of a ride is it from LA to SF?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

How long of a ride is it from LA to SF?

9~ hours using 101 to 1 going north from LA, taking it easy with decent stops. 6.5 hours in a car on the interstate.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 6, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's about 400 miles, but the specific length of time varies a lot depending on the route you take. For instance, the 5 is fast and boring as hell, while the 1/101 are a lot more interesting but slower.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I guess PHX->LA->SF->LA->PHX in 4 days would be kinda lovely then. drat.
Guess I could blitz PHX->SF in one day, have two full days in SF, and then blitz SF->PHX home.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 6, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

I guess PHX->LA->SF->LA->PHX in 4 days would be kinda lovely then. drat.
Guess I could blitz PHX->SF in one day, have two full days in SF, and then blitz SF->PHX home.

If you're doing a riding trip, this is what I'd recommend. Lot more entertaining poo poo up here than down in the LA area.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That and Roka Akor has a SF location so I can go get shitfaced with my old manager after I'm sore from riding 14hr super slab style. I guess I should start hotel shopping, order a new rear tire, and put the time off request in.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whatever you do, don't call me to hang out. Nooooope. Definitely don't do that.

Edit: Definitely.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
:v: I will definitely not do that and ask you to tow me through some cool roads :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What you should really do is come out for the June 2nd trackday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I was kinda thinking about that but I'm still riding around a rashed up bike from my last trackday incident. I'd be down, I just don't know that I can financially or health wise afford the chance of a fuckup again.

edit: I'll think about it at work tonight.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 6, 2014