Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I like Fantasia 2000 more than the original V:shobon:V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012

Das Boo posted:

And Rescuers Down Under gave my eyes diabetes. :colbert:

Is that meant to be a good or bad thing?

Macaluso posted:

I like Fantasia 2000 more than the original V:shobon:V

I do too, enjoy all of the segments except The Pines of Rome. Whereas a few in the original Fantasia dragged a bit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Disney and the directors of Frozen have explicitly stated that they want to work on a Broadway musical before they even think about a sequel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Disney and the directors of Frozen have explicitly stated that they want to work on a Broadway musical before they even think about a sequel.

Disney, where the hell is my Iron Man musical?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Barudak posted:

Disney, where the hell is my Iron Man musical?

I'd rather see a Captain America USO variety show.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Tony Stark & Bruce Banner Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas-esque road trip/buddy comedy needs to come before all that :colbert:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Qindarka posted:

Is that meant to be a good or bad thing?

I meant 'cause it was such eye candy, but I'll lay blame on sleep deprivation.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shaocaholica posted:

I'd rather see a Captain America USO variety show.

Disney's The Avengers: The Musical. Starring Lea Michele as Black Widow, singing her show-stopping number, "Red on the Ledger".

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Macaluso posted:

I am just so NOT excited for that movie at all, and Angelina Jolie being the one playing Malificent (who I already am not a huge fan of villain wise) just makes me SO uninterested. I'd rather see like, the chick who plays Regina on Once Upon a Time take on the role instead.
I felt that way too - until the trailer where she swoops in going, "Well, well, WELLLL...." She nails that old-school Disney bitch voice.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So Legends of Oz is a musical. I mean, I read that on Wikipedia the other day, and it's not like I mind since I'm not seeing it anyway, but I only just saw the first commercial that included this fact, and there have been Oz commercials on Cartoon Network all the time. It just seems like such a weird detail to leave out until two days before release.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

So Legends of Oz is a musical. I mean, I read that on Wikipedia the other day, and it's not like I mind since I'm not seeing it anyway, but I only just saw the first commercial that included this fact, and there have been Oz commercials on Cartoon Network all the time. It just seems like such a weird detail to leave out until two days before release.

The ad campaign for this has been absolutely all the hell over the place that it feels like their ad team got fired multiple times or the producer in charge is a moron*. The first ones were just "dark oz adventures", the second set "its a sequel, look, and its lighthearted and funny", and now the third set is "oh yeah its a musical, did we not tell you?"

*Its probably this

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's just loving amazing how poo poo Disney adverts had been the last few years, are they trying to tank all their movies in some sort of crazy tax loophole scheme?

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
^^^ Coming this summer.... Disney's "Springtime for Hitler."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Weirdly, Disney and Summertime Entertainment (makers of Legends of Oz) both seem to be making the same mistakes Dreamworks marketing was, but recently averted with the spoilery but at least engaging trailer for HTTYD2.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pick posted:

...seem to be making the same mistakes Dreamworks marketing was...

What mistakes? Not trying to be smart about it, just curious as I missed the current round of discussions.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, I never watched Glee, so when they kept advertising that Dorothy is voiced by Lea Michele, I had no idea who the gently caress that was and had to look her up.

Thanks, Legends of Oz. Now I feel like an old person.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, I never watched Glee, so when they kept advertising that Dorothy is voiced by Lea Michele, I had no idea who the gently caress that was and had to look her up.

Don't worry, I'm 21 and I don't know what the gently caress.

Actually I do, and it's bad marketing. In any case it seems appropriate to the movie as on Rotten Tomatoes it's currently rated 0%. Say what you will about RT, when there's consensus you know if it's a bad movie or not.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

I know it's already 9pm EST, but figured it was worth mentioning that on amazon.ca, Jem and the Holograms is only $29.99 today.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Waffleman_ posted:

Lea Michele was a brilliant up and coming Broadway star who got ruined by mainstream success. She is now known for performing autotuned-to-hell covers of bad top 40s pop.

Lea Michele then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruhxsBmtPHk

Lea Michele now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wRehW3zS3M

:smith:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Lea Michele was a brilliant up and coming Broadway star who got ruined by mainstream success. She is now known for performing autotuned-to-hell covers of bad top 40s pop.

This is exactly why I don't like Glee.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Waffleman_ posted:

This is exactly why I don't like Glee.

Same - aside from the awful stereotypes being disguised as ~Diversity!~ and ~Empowering~, they autotune people who do not need the help, so they ended up sounding the unnatural

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Yeah, what's the purpose of autotuning someone who can already sing on key?

While Glee actually has done some nice covers, they also have a (seemingly more recent) habit of covering songs in the exact same style as the original, which for me defeats the whole purpose.

They also have a habit of stealing unique cover arrangements of songs without giving any credit or acknowledgment to the cover artist (e.g., Jonathan Coulton).

The characters are also weirdly, impossibly toony and unsettingly over-the-top. IRL, in today's litigious, often-PC, often-ultra-sensitive school environment, not only would Sue Sylvester be canned, but school boards would build a time machine so that they could retroactively fire her at her interview.

Mind you, I don't hate Glee by any means.

Oh, and Legends of Oz is up to 16% on RT, because some reviewers clearly do not know how to movie.

Plastic Dorothy is horrifying. Only the owl is marginally cute-looking.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Egbert Souse posted:

Disney was cranking out throwaway live action features like crazy in the seventies.

Also, a lot of people forget that Disney was still re-issuing features into theaters regularly. Almost all the pre-1970 animated feature was re-released from 1970-1979 except for The Reluctant Dragon, Victory Through Air Power, and Melody Time. They probably made more money from the re-issues than the new films, with the exception of The Rescuers (which was a box office hit).

Hell, they were doing theatrical re-releases at least into the early 90s. They carry it on now in the form of 3D releases.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tartarus Sauce posted:

Yeah, what's the purpose of autotuning someone who can already sing on key?

Autotuning is a deliberate stylistic choice rather than an attempt to mask a lack of singing ability; If that's your goal then there are much better ways of making a person sound better without making them sound like a robot in the process.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Here's it done well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB9PaGZoCsU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It seems the people behind Legend of Oz are not taking its failure well at all http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/legends-of-oz-investors-who-each-paid-100000-believe-hollywood-conspiracy-destroyed-film-99641.html

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I can never get enough of smug aspirational business-speak getting crushed by cold reality. :allears:

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah, putting it mildly. Sorry for crossposting from the other animation thread:

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

This isn't so much a passion project, but it certainly is troubled.

That new Dorothy of Oz movie. Yeah, it looks like total garbage. Well it is, and apparently the people behind it are too.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/business/legends-of-oz-investors-who-each-paid-100000-believe-hollywood-conspiracy-destroyed-film-99641.html

Posted at the bottom of that article is this link: http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-818-909-6800 . This leads to an 800-number reporting page where apparently this company was calling people as early as 2005 looking for investors for Dorothy of Oz.

Dig further on that page and you'll come up with a whole can of worms. The guys behind it were a set of brothers, Ryan and Roland Carrol. They run a business called Alpine Pictures. They have also scammed people just like this at least five times prior. Here is their lovely webpage (warning: auto playing video): http://www.alpinepix.com/ You'll notice that the horrible auto playing video is in fact Dorothy of Oz (which is also listed on the front page), even though the film isn't produced by them.

Instead, it's produced by a company called Summertime Entertainment. Summertime Entertainment is just Alpine Pictures with a new name to avoid their blacklisted history.

On the web, it seems all high rated reviews of the film are from investors. You can see a few on IMDB, not sure about Metacritic. Edit: Rottentomatoes's comments are also filled with investors. You can also find a whooooole lot of investors on that 800-number page, along with an employee or two saying that it isn't a scam and the movie will be the biggest of 2012(sic). Also mixed into those comments are many, many, many C&D forms and other court papers detailing Alpine Picture's shady investment schemes.

The IMDB earnings section is also very entertaining:

Budget
$70,000,000 (estimated)

Opening Weekend
$3,715,931 (USA) (11 May 2014) (2,575 Screens)

Gross
$3,715,931 (USA) (11 May 2014)

Weekend Gross
$3,715,931 (USA) (11 May 2014) (2,575 Screens)

In other words, please don't go see this film.

"Waaah, the evil critics are making our picture look awful! Man are our investors going to be pissed!" Sounds like time for another lawsuit.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Autotuning is a deliberate stylistic choice rather than an attempt to mask a lack of singing ability; If that's your goal then there are much better ways of making a person sound better without making them sound like a robot in the process.

Autotune used to make people "sound better" is pretty much unnoticeable. A bunch of people, notably T-Pain, realized it sounds different when you really crank it the gently caress up, and then everyone got mad.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's always hilarious watching a bunch of blowhards contort logic in order to shift the blame. Honestly - some of the character designs didn't look too bad - if given a little more polish, but everything else about the trailers is just loving awful and everyone saw through it as a shallow cashgrab.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 19, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Guys. Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 is on Netflix streaming now. It's awesome, and I might have liked it more than #1. It may even have more jokes per second than The Lego Movie, and I felt it landed them all. I can't recall this thread's opinion of the movie, but as soon as I saw it was on there, I stopped what we were going to do and watched that instead. Just figured I'd PSA the thread in case anyone was looking to watch the movie.

The villain character has amazingly weird animation. Especially towards the end when he goes full on mandala mode.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
EDIT: Screw it, bad joke woulda lead to dumb derail, sorry

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

IUG posted:

Guys. Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs 2 is on Netflix streaming now. It's awesome, and I might have liked it more than #1. It may even have more jokes per second than The Lego Movie, and I felt it landed them all. I can't recall this thread's opinion of the movie, but as soon as I saw it was on there, I stopped what we were going to do and watched that instead. Just figured I'd PSA the thread in case anyone was looking to watch the movie.

The villain character has amazingly weird animation. Especially towards the end when he goes full on mandala mode.

I think it's mostly that the original Cloudy (which isn't on Netflix Instant sadly) was amazing, and while 2 had some great cartoony animation and a ton of puns the script didn't have the sheer density of jokes and attention to detail that the original did because Lord and Miller were working on the Lego movie instead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Lack of Return

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Lack of Return

I hope this shows up on the back of the DVD like the Baby Geniuses 2 quote.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The original Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs isn't on Netflix in the States? It is here in Canada. Just got added recently.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Phylodox posted:

The original Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs isn't on Netflix in the States? It is here in Canada. Just got added recently.

It was for some time, but no longer is.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

DoctorWhat posted:

It was for some time, but no longer is.

I guess because we stole it.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Phylodox posted:

It's on the UK one too!

I watched Cloudy 2 the other day as well, I don't think it's on the same level as 1 and parts of the script are a bit clunky, repeated, or irrelevant (why is Brent even there, he contributes nothing), but there's some really great design work and cute moments. Nothing quite made me laugh as hard as 1, but it's worth a look, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I was really surprised they kept Brent. They were already loaded up on characters.

• Locked thread