Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Foley and Edzo are hilarious to listen to, that's the worst part of Edzo doing NBC games.. we get less of their bad jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

deafmute posted:

Ulf Samuelsson, Kevin Dineen and Ed Olczyk will be amongst ex-teammates of CAR GM Ron Francis mentioned as potential coaching candidates.

If Olczyk was no longer on NBCSN I'd be pretty happy...

Ulfs dream team of Correy Perey, Matt Cooke, Marchand, and other great, clean players who can stand up for themselves.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 1m
“@waynefish1: Broadcasters vote Detroit's Babcock, Tampa's Cooper and Colorado's Roy as Jack Adams finalists. #Flyers' Berube snubbed.”

lol now I'm not gonna say I wouldn't have loved to see Berube as an Adams finalist but I'm not sure snubbed works here. There were just way too many exciting media narratives this year for Chief to get in

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Honestly not even sure where Halak could get a primary position, NYI seems like a good place where he gets prime time and probably a good paycheck.

Also see Roy winning the Jack Adams even though most of it was Varlamov playing out of his gourd. But Babcock has ~*~pedigree~*~.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

ThinkTank posted:

In a similar vein, holy hell did Bob Cole sound past it last night. I'm not even sure he knew what teams were playing at times.

This is definitely my opinion as well and as much as it sucks, I'd like to see him retire soon. Hughson is the CBC's main voice now, and some of the guys covering round one in the West were fairly decent (at least decent enough to replace Bob in terms of awareness if not Old Timey Hockey Voice).

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vicas posted:

TSN8, The Ocho

Aw man I actually clicked on the link hoping this was true.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

HookShot posted:

Aw man I actually clicked on the link hoping this was true.

Dodgeball was a documentary, just give it a little more time

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Edzo is one of the worst loving commentators and I'll recognize no defense of him.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Stanos posted:

Honestly not even sure where Halak could get a primary position, NYI seems like a good place where he gets prime time and probably a good paycheck.

IBurnStuffAlot posted:

I figure he might sign for 2-3 years if we can actually pay him, what 5.5? He's guaranteed a starter spot and I bet the Isles are willing to wheel and deal seeing as Nabby is getting older, Nilsson said he won't play in the AHL (lol ok dude) and Poulin is not what Roy said he would be... and all three of them are unsigned as of yet.

Oh, no, I totally know it makes sense. He'll be the starter on the island for sure. After Nabby and Lubo had their things, and the Islanders barely being a cap FLOOR team, I think somebody not wanting to sign here is still a legitimate worry.

Wamsutta posted:

Halak is in every way an upgrade over all other current NYI goaltenders and I am bummed that they may have plugged that huge hole

Now if they could make a few calls to some head coaches that are available...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Maple Leafs should go big with Babcock.
Leafs might want to make a play for Panthers #1 pick.

Yes Toronto Star sports reporters, I agree it would be great if the Leafs could conjure Babcock and a #1 pick out of thin air. Maybe they can trade for Weber and Crosby while they're at it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

eXXon posted:

Maple Leafs should go big with Babcock.
Leafs might want to make a play for Panthers #1 pick.

Yes Toronto Star sports reporters, I agree it would be great if the Leafs could conjure Babcock and a #1 pick out of thin air. Maybe they can trade for Weber and Crosby while they're at it.

This is an LOL-worthy selling point: "He might enjoy working in a place where playoff games aren’t taken as a ho-hum given."

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

No worries about the Isles acquiring a real coach because why would Snow get rid of WANG'S GUY, Cappy??

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Thufir posted:

This is an LOL-worthy selling point: "He might enjoy working in a place where playoff games aren’t taken as a ho-hum given."

After dealing with the stress and time commitments of several years of playoff runs, I'm happy to sign on with the Leafs organization and I look forward to the change of pace.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Naet posted:

Edzo is one of the worst loving commentators and I'll recognize no defense of him.

I don't see how, I'll grant he's not anywhere near the top ten list for sports commentary but there is a long list of NHL commentators underneath him that deserve to be put out to pasture (or worse).

Or is this just a "chicago sucks and anything from chicago sucks too" thing?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

xzzy posted:

I don't see how, I'll grant he's not anywhere near the top ten list for sports commentary but there is a long list of NHL commentators underneath him that deserve to be put out to pasture (or worse).

He's a homer and usually obnoxious during games. Just because there are worse options than him doesn't make him a good announcer. He's in the same realm with Milbury/Engblom/Pierre/Emrick for things NBCSN needs to dump.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

xzzy posted:

"Well let me tell you, [Habs player] really knows how to fall to the ice well when they feel contact *shows clip of a Bruin tackling a Habs player*"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

deafmute posted:

He's a homer and usually obnoxious during games. Just because there are worse options than him doesn't make him a good announcer. He's in the same realm with Milbury/Engblom/Pierre/Emrick for things NBCSN needs to dump.

And replace them with who? You seem to be setting an impossibly high bar if obnoxious sayings and pandering to a specific team's crowd is the criteria for getting a commentator thrown out. I can't think of a single personality in the hockey universe that would pass that test.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Bring back Gary Thorne

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

deafmute posted:

just be glad FOX doesn't carry hockey. You'd get Joe Buck calling the games. :barf:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Darren Pang is pretty great

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I really don't have a problem with St. Louis's callers besides the fact that it's pretty clear Federko has either taken one too many hits or is drunk during the games. Pang is great.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

xzzy posted:

And replace them with who? You seem to be setting an impossibly high bar if obnoxious sayings and pandering to a specific team's crowd is the criteria for getting a commentator thrown out. I can't think of a single personality in the hockey universe that would pass that test.
You enjoy listening to him exclusively because you're a Blackhawks homer. When announcers do a national broadcast it's really not difficult for most of them to be objective, look how Hahn, Strader, Pang and Remenda handle themselves. The broadcasts would be better with dead silence over obnoxious idiot homers that detract from the game.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

John Shorthouse and John Garret on Sportsnet Pacific are great. They are overt Canucks fans though*, but honestly that shouldn't be an issue with local commentary teams. I've never understood why people get upset with an announcer having a bias to a team they call regularly. It's different with national broadcasts, but cmon regional bias can be great sometimes.

*so much so that an Oilers blogger did a list of the biggest homer announcers in the league and put them at #1, ironically one of the most homer things ever posted on the internet.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
NBCSN needs to bring back Joe Beninati.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The thing I really enjoy about Pang is how NOT homer he is. He compliments other teams players and points out good things other teams do all the time and I think it adds a lot to his commentary.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

bewbies posted:

The thing I really enjoy about Pang is how NOT homer he is. He compliments other teams players and points out good things other teams do all the time and I think it adds a lot to his commentary.

We tried to say that about Eddie but nooooo.

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!
preds have hired laviolette as coach. they've also retained housley, which owns.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=718131

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Trevor Bird posted:

preds have hired laviolette as coach. they've also retained housley, which owns.

Good for Lavy. I'm honestly shocked it took him this long to get rehired. It'll be interesting to see what he does with this Preds lineup, it's certainly, uh, a bit different than the last one he coached

IBurnStuffAlot
Feb 25, 2008

:siren:DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN:siren:

Wamsutta posted:

No worries about the Isles acquiring a real coach because why would Snow get rid of WANG'S GUY, Cappy??

B A T T L E L E V E L

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Thufir posted:

That's probably the best spin on "habitually bad" I've ever seen.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

xzzy posted:

It's a 'Chicago sucks' thing only in that Edzo is obnoxiously pro-Chicago when he's calling games, but that's not really my main complaint. He's not enjoyable to listen to and he's up there among the worst offenders of making a mountain out of a mole hill. He's also absolutely one of those old guard idiots who prattles on about the great masculine hockey code or whatever the gently caress. I don't need more "old time hockey" nonsense in my commentary.

You're absolutely right that there are other people equally bad or even worse. Edzo is particularly annoying for how quickly he failed upward, though.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'd like to see a team of Jack Edwards/Mickey Redmond/Steve Coates for maximum hilarity.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just wish NBC had Sam Rosen but I understand why they don't (FOX Football contract).

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Trevor Bird posted:

Good hire this

Until Lavy benches Rinne for ... uh, somebody

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

shyduck posted:

Bring back Gary Thorne

This is not an empty quote.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

My dream team is probably Doc/Tyson Nash/Pierre with a between-period show of Liam/Keith/JR/Mike (Hi Haters)

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

It's almost like Seth Jones and Shea Weber ended up becoming Flyers!!!

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

double sulk posted:

It's almost like Seth Jones and Shea Weber ended up becoming Flyers!!!

Flyers Midwest!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Trevor Bird posted:

boo. quit sleeping caps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I think I'm happy with the Laviolette hiring because at least it means they're not hiring Torts or Oates or Ron Wilson.

• Locked thread