Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Didn't Monster Rancher pride itself on being able to create monsters from CDs and poo poo? I recall that it made it sound like it could somehow convert the content on that CD into the game (my brother and I hotly imagined creating Kerrigan from Starcraft by inserting a Starcraft CD) but I have heard that the reality is less impressive as that?

From what I remember, you put a CD in, and the game takes some kind of data off the disk, and does some calculations or something to give you a monster based off the data. None of them were unique though, it was always like "Oh I got a red version of this sorta rare monster" or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sartorius posted:

From what I remember, you put a CD in, and the game takes some kind of data off the disk, and does some calculations or something to give you a monster based off the data. None of them were unique though, it was always like "Oh I got a red version of this sorta rare monster" or something

You're talking about Monster Rancher as if it wasn't bitchin' and I cannot abide by that. :colbert:

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Wizard posted:

You're talking about Monster Rancher as if it wasn't bitchin' and I cannot abide by that. :colbert:

Oh it totally was bitchin', I'm just sayin' the get monsters from CDs thing left a bit to be desired
More games giant eye monsters.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Sartorius posted:

Dude there totally were unique monsters. Unique in the sense that you couldn't make them via combining, anyways. They'd be listed as Monster/??? (where normal monsters are Monster/Monster2) and they'd be really weird, like that one Suezo that died in a single week, or the Gaboo with a bowie knife and army paint, or something.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Dude there totally were unique monsters. Unique in the sense that you couldn't make them via combining, anyways. They'd be listed as Monster/??? (where normal monsters are Monster/Monster2) and they'd be really weird, like that one Suezo that died in a single week, or the Gaboo with a bowie knife and army paint, or something.

Yeah, there were specific albums that would produce unique monsters. A lot of them were pretty weird. Here's the list: http://otakuworld.com/index.html?/games/psx/mrcd.htm

I have to wonder if they were different in Japan, because those are some pretty western music tastes.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

deadly_pudding posted:

Yeah, there were specific albums that would produce unique monsters. A lot of them were pretty weird. Here's the list: http://otakuworld.com/index.html?/games/psx/mrcd.htm

I have to wonder if they were different in Japan, because those are some pretty western music tastes.

Honestly, one requires a Fishbone album whose biggest track hit number 7 on the alternative rock charts. That was certainly something that wasn't expected.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
weirdly eclectic bunch of CDs. Maybe they were just hoping that you/your parents/an older sibling HAD to have SOMETHING on the list?

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Part 10

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I think at least half the challenge of this LP is struggling with terrible player-made guides

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Modoki is Japanese for "similar, but different".

Because he looks like other Betamon except it's supposed to be a different colour, but isn't in this game.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I keep watching this LP to see how many things you misremember about Digimon.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FillInTheBlank posted:

Modoki is Japanese for "similar, but different".

Because he looks like other Betamon except it's supposed to be a different colour, but isn't in this game.

So if they had put literally any effort at all into their translation, it would have been something like "Quasibetamon"?

Phanos
Jul 24, 2006
So who made the sandwiches?

FractalSandwich posted:

So if they had put literally any effort at all into their translation, it would have been something like "Quasibetamon"?

Probably. I feel one of the issues with Digimon was that it got a really crappy localization when it came stateside. Pokemon, on the other hand, had a pretty good one and they came up with fun names for most of them.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

You got Penguinmon because brains was your highest stat:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/913684-digimon-world/faqs/8635

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I think it's too late to get Tokomon's items. They are supposed to be something to help you start out and I think they are not available once you recruit your first Digimon in the city.

Lazerbeam posted:

You got Penguinmon because brains was your highest stat:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/913684-digimon-world/faqs/8635

That being said, there's a couple of interesting evolutions here that you should consider.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Phanos posted:

Probably. I feel one of the issues with Digimon was that it got a really crappy localization when it came stateside. Pokemon, on the other hand, had a pretty good one and they came up with fun names for most of them.

I remember Digimon had Yanmamon before Pokemon had Yanma which I took a little pride in when everyone was following Pokemon and I the former. :colbert:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I think it's too late to get Tokomon's items. They are supposed to be something to help you start out and I think they are not available once you recruit your first Digimon in the city.

Mmm-hmm, you have to do it before a certain point. It's not quite that early, but definitely fairly early. It's just a starter kit: small recoveries, MP floppies, the revival item, bandages and medicine (if I recall correctly). Nothing really worth worrying about.

Now, a return visit to the Ancient Speedy Region (specifically where Meteormon was) once you're strong enough to survive it again... That's something important to do.

Edit: Also, Coelamon. I forget whether you revisited them or not.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 7, 2014

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

That's always the most annoying bit when your guy snuffs it, you have to wait until they get back to Rookie level before you can do anything else and it sucks. And they make loving stupid noises and they never shut up.

Also Penguinmon is great, so there. :colbert: This game is unneccessarily complicated though. I think that's part of the charm to be honest.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Ice type moves can be horrendously broken, so Penguinmon ain't bad. Ice Statue I remember being broken as all hell cos it hits like a truck and paralyzes.

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011
Hi guys, thank you for doing an LP of one of my most favorite games from my childhood :)

I don't know if someone has already showed you this, I'm sure they have, but here it is anyway.

http://lparchive.org/Digimon-World/

This poo poo is informative as all hell and shockingly better than following a guide a lot of the time.

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011

funky not a junkie posted:

Hi guys, thank you for doing an LP of one of my most favorite games from my childhood :)

I don't know if someone has already showed you this, I'm sure they have, but here it is anyway.

http://lparchive.org/Digimon-World/

This poo poo is informative as all hell and shockingly better than following a guide a lot of the time.

I think going off of misinformed guides is part of the real Digimon World experience though.

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011

ZevGun posted:

I think going off of misinformed guides is part of the real Digimon World experience though.

Not using a guide at all, you mean!

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude
If we didn't lose a guide we might actually die. Or we'd at least stop playing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Ice type moves can be horrendously broken, so Penguinmon ain't bad. Ice Statue I remember being broken as all hell cos it hits like a truck and paralyzes.
This is 100% true.

Once he is somewhat stronger, have him fight ModokiBetamon until he learns their moves. Ice Needle is incredibly fast and has basically no charging time, which makes it perfect for taking out "bosses" with their powerful, slow-as-molasses attacks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think he's a pretty cool looking penguin dude.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

goatface posted:

I think he's a pretty cool looking penguin dude.

He's pretty chill, yeah

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I love it when the game's evolution system surprises you, in a bad way.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

funky not a junkie posted:

:shobon:

Anyway, bluh, yeah, Ice Statue is one of those really good moves with a good power/mp ratio, quick activation, and range. The paralysis is just the cherry on top. Thing is, every element has a couple of moves like this; besides Ice Statue, ice has Aqua Blit and Ice Needle for quick ranged moves, though they don't hit nearly as hard. Can't think of any Digimon that don't have at least one good move you can just set and forget. Even Numemon has Poop Spd Toss.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

Part 11

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 23, 2014

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Boolean flags!

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
You guys have a goddamn Rappy following you around.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

That penguin is going to grow up thraumatized.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Guys you missed the 15th. That rain plant is going to clog your inventory for a whole year now.

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Guys you missed the 15th. That rain plant is going to clog your inventory for a whole year now.

They can use it any time though?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Lazerbeam posted:

They can use it any time though?

I thought the plant vanished too?

I dunno every time I've always gone straight there because SIRLOINS.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

MarquiseMindfang posted:

How long is a year in that game? :ohdear:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MR. J posted:

You guys have a goddamn Rappy following you around.

No, it's a goddamn Overlord.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

They could just deposit it into the item bank.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 23, 2014

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

No, you only need to get the plant on the 15th. Now that we have it, we can use it as soon as Vegimon appears (which happens when our City Prosperity Rating reaches 9). Not sure if the plant appears only on the 15th or if it stays there until you pick it up... Knowing this game, probably the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

19LettersLong posted:

No, you only need to get the plant on the 15th. Now that we have it, we can use it as soon as Vegimon appears (which happens when our City Prosperity Rating reaches 9). Not sure if the plant appears only on the 15th or if it stays there until you pick it up... Knowing this game, probably the former.

Kyle, what do you think of all the people saying not to get Whamon? Should we not get Whamon? (the only reason they sighted was because it makes a weird noise)

• Locked thread