Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

You don't RAID with VSAN. VSAN handles redundancy and protection itself. If you have a RAID controller that does not allow "pass through", then create single disk RAID 0s for each disk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

TeMpLaR posted:

There is a large amount of memory overhead doing this, that is the main reason I had. I think I am going to do this for cpu but not memory, and then all new VMs start with 1cpu... CPU ready %s are fine during the day but too high during backups. I want to start to think longer term about stopping that.

I've never really encountered a situation where backup operations cause CPU contention. Are you doing client-side dedupe or something?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

complex posted:

You don't RAID with VSAN. VSAN handles redundancy and protection itself. If you have a RAID controller that does not allow "pass through", then create single disk RAID 0s for each disk.
Peeerfect, thank you sir!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TeMpLaR posted:

Do you guys enable hot-add cpu / memory on your VMs by default? Only on a subset of machines by default?

We don't enable either by default. I'm curious as to why anyone would to be honest, granted I'm no VMware expert or anything, but a properly sized VM to begin with kind of makes this pointless right? If in fact you do need to end up adding resources, surely the machine can be rebooted during a maintenance window. I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where I need to add RAM to a VM on the fly.

We do run pretty beefy clusters though and size our VM's for worst case scenario, so I guess if you are in a resource constrained environment it could come in handy.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

We don't enable either by default. I'm curious as to why anyone would to be honest, granted I'm no VMware expert or anything, but a properly sized VM to begin with kind of makes this pointless right? If in fact you do need to end up adding resources, surely the machine can be rebooted during a maintenance window. I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario where I need to add RAM to a VM on the fly.

We do run pretty beefy clusters though and size our VM's for worst case scenario, so I guess if you are in a resource constrained environment it could come in handy.

Tell us more about your magical green-fields environment where everything is configured properly :allears:

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

cheese-cube posted:

I've never really encountered a situation where backup operations cause CPU contention. Are you doing client-side dedupe or something?

EMC Networker is a wonderful backup solution :)

Yeah, hotplug and hot memory use the same amount of memory overhead as if you had the maximum amount of memory and cpu in the VMs. So a hundred of two hundred megs per VM wasted (or not wasted depending).

To see overhead stuff build a VM with 2cpu and 4gb ram. Now make it 8cpu and 64gb ram. Adds on a bunch of overhead.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

skipdogg posted:

a properly sized VM to begin with
Bahahahahahahahaha.
Actually helpful response: Anything that removes the requirement to have downtime/repetitive effort is the whole point of VMware - vMotion is what sold the product in the beginning and that was all about avoiding planned downtime.

Anyway, who knows Puppet / Salt? I can code in Powershell, but I'm getting people telling me that I need to be able to Ruby or I should just forget it, this seems counter intuitive for such a popular toolset.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mausi posted:

Anyway, who knows Puppet / Salt? I can code in Powershell, but I'm getting people telling me that I need to be able to Ruby or I should just forget it, this seems counter intuitive for such a popular toolset.

This is kind of offtopic for the VM thread but, as always, It Depends. You absolutely don't need to know Ruby (Puppet) or Python (Salt) to use them. They're very full-featured out of the box. But if you find that you want to extend them, write plugins, or dive in deep to patch bugs or add whole new features, you'll need to do that in their native language. But for 99% of your day to day use all you need to learn is their DSL's which are both very simple to pick up.

I've heard that Chef is basically like writing straight Ruby but I've never used it myself so I can't confirm.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey nerds, I need some troubleshooting help. I'm pretty capable with VMware when everything is running, but when things break I'm not really sure which of the hundred log files to consult.

Let me give you a bit of a :words: story because I am feeling kind of verbose.

I just built out my new VMware lab box. I'm using the following NIC setup:

I had to monkey around a little, originally vmnic0 was assigned to vswitch0 and vmnic1 was unused. I flipped the nics this way because the realtek doesn't seem to support jumbo frames and the intel does. vSwitch0 is my management network, as well as my iSCSI network. vSwitch1 with the Realtek is only hosting VM traffic.

So far so good I guess, right?

So I deploy my VCSA OVA. Everything is working fine until about 5 minutes into setting up my VCSA I notice that I've lost connectivity to my management IP. What the poo poo. No PSOD on screen, nothing really wrong from what I can tell. I restart the host and since VCSA was configuring the database I figure I hosed that up so I delete it and redeploy. Sure enough, five minutes into setting up SSO or whatever step the web UI wizard is on I lose connectivity to my management IP again.

What's odd is that I can still ping my VCSA, but the web UI is completely unresponsive.

I reset the box and now I'm figuring something is seriously hosed up. I'm starting to suspect the Intel NIC since I could still ping my VCSA VM which is on the Realtek, but the Management IP is dead. I add a VMKernel interface to my realtek card and assign it a second management IP just so I can test my theory. Delete the VCSA, redeploy it, and sure enough my Intel IP dies about five minutes in. I point vSphere Client at my Realtek management IP and after a good long while I get into the machine.

My iSCSI datastore has disconnected itself, which makes sense since it's on vmnic1 which has become unresponsive.

So at this point I'm really not sure where to go. It's obvious I should pull the intel card until I can buy something better/newer, but I'd like to see if there are any logs to support this. I guess I posted a lot of text to ask which of the dozens of logs on the host I should be checking for network or hardware related errors? I haven't had a lot of time to play around with this because real life has been a little hectic, so I guess the more I can narrow this down the better.

edit: To add to this, it's kind of weird that it only craps out when the VCSA is running because I've got a domain controller running on the same box and I don't seem to see any issues. I'll try to deploy another Windows server and see if it has any impact.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 8, 2014

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

Has anyone upgraded the openvswitch part of XenServer 6.2 before? The ancient crusty one XenServer comes with isn't coping with the traffic we're throwing at :(

Tempted to switch back to a simple Linux Bridge

Just an update to this, set up a small lab to test if this was feasible. It seems to be working, moved from Open vSwitch 1.4.6 to 2.1.2 without any issues. Now to try it on production :ohdear:

Steps if anyone is interested:
  • Update XenServer 6.2 to 6.2SP1
  • Download the DDK SP1 image. Import into a XenServer.
  • SSH into the DDK, build the new Open vSwitch according the XenServer instructions
  • SCP the built RPMs to your XenServer - don't worry about the kernel dump one.
  • Install the unsigned RPMs with rpm -U, then remove the old openswitch versions.
  • Reboot!

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Marty, check /var/log/vmkernel.log. And feel free to share it, if you want someone to take a peek at it!
I'm unsure which driver you'd have. ixgbe, e1000, or e1000e would be my guesses. You can find out by running "esxcfg-nics -l".
Maybe see if you can find updated drivers, too.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Docjowles posted:

This is kind of offtopic for the VM thread but, as always, It Depends. You absolutely don't need to know Ruby (Puppet) or Python (Salt) to use them. They're very full-featured out of the box. But if you find that you want to extend them, write plugins, or dive in deep to patch bugs or add whole new features, you'll need to do that in their native language. But for 99% of your day to day use all you need to learn is their DSL's which are both very simple to pick up.

I've heard that Chef is basically like writing straight Ruby but I've never used it myself so I can't confirm.
Thanks, maybe I should've phrased it as 'who uses Puppet/Salt/etc for managing their VM environment and what are your coding recommendations around it' to make it more relevant to the thread.
Python understanding is something I'm working on anyway, so that's handy to know.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Mausi posted:

Bahahahahahahahaha.
Actually helpful response: Anything that removes the requirement to have downtime/repetitive effort is the whole point of VMware - vMotion is what sold the product in the beginning and that was all about avoiding planned downtime.

Yup, this. I know it depends on the environment you work in, but requirements change. A lot, as it turns out, in our shop. A group of VMs may end up getting more traffic for one reason or another, and we like to be able to tell those teams that we can upgrade their VMs on the fly if such a scenario happens.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Mausi posted:

Thanks, maybe I should've phrased it as 'who uses Puppet/Salt/etc for managing their VM environment and what are your coding recommendations around it' to make it more relevant to the thread.
Python understanding is something I'm working on anyway, so that's handy to know.

We use Salt because I'm a python guy so the syntax of everything just made sense to me. Chef/Puppet seemed very complex, way more than I needed. Whereas Salt is moderately straightforward to start using, in an afternoon was able to get a full autoscaling aws system with salt + salt cloud with multiple state configs for my apps.

Another even lighter weight option is Ansible.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I've an annoying problem with my lab setup.

I got a eval copy of workstation 10 from doing the Stanley course and I'm trying to setup a pair of esxi5.5 vms in it.

Even though I've added three network interfaces to my vm , the esxi guest will only detect one.

I'm not sure if its this bug or something dumb that I'm doing. Anyone had a similar problem ?

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2335268

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

edit: To add to this, it's kind of weird that it only craps out when the VCSA is running because I've got a domain controller running on the same box and I don't seem to see any issues. I'll try to deploy another Windows server and see if it has any impact.

What's your iSCSI and Management bindings look like?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

jre posted:

I've an annoying problem with my lab setup.

I got a eval copy of workstation 10 from doing the Stanley course and I'm trying to setup a pair of esxi5.5 vms in it.

Even though I've added three network interfaces to my vm , the esxi guest will only detect one.

I'm not sure if its this bug or something dumb that I'm doing. Anyone had a similar problem ?

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2335268

So turns out this is a weird bug in workstation ...

If you install esxi with more than one adaptor added to the VM subsequent nics are detected as the wrong hardware type and don't work

0000:02:01.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation 82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) [vmnic0]
0000:02:02.0 Network controller: AMD Inc PCnet - Fast 79C971
0000:02:03.0 Network controller: AMD Inc PCnet - Fast 79C971

To get multiple adaptors you must install esxi with only one nic added to vm. When that's fully working shut down esxi, add one adaptor to the vm, boot it up again.
Rinse repeat until you have all your adaptors added.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Had I seen your post earlier I could have saved you the trouble but yep, I basically build the ESXi box, do the initial config and shut it down, then add the other NICs.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I want to make a community whitebox esxi image. I'm doing my own research but anyone know some common vibe that need to be added? Ill package them and upload them.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I want to make a community whitebox esxi image. I'm doing my own research but anyone know some common vibe that need to be added? Ill package them and upload them.

No offense, but I don't think I'd ever want to install ESXi from some image that a random dude on the internet is hosting. I'd rather just get it straight from VMware with the HP/Dell stuff pre-installed and not have to worry about "is this the latest version?" and "I hope he didn't mess it up" and "I hope he didn't get hacked and now there's a rootkit".

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

madsushi posted:

No offense, but I don't think I'd ever want to install ESXi from some image that a random dude on the internet is hosting. I'd rather just get it straight from VMware with the HP/Dell stuff pre-installed and not have to worry about "is this the latest version?" and "I hope he didn't mess it up" and "I hope he didn't get hacked and now there's a rootkit".

Ha, didn't think about it that way but I see what you're saying.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I probably wouldn't care for my own lab setup since I guess I'm a trusting dude and Dilbert's been posting here for forever, but someone who's not familiar with SA -- I'd probably agree then.

So while I'm on the subject of my lab: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/IBM-PRO-1000...8ddd6cab&_uhb=1 ESXi 5.5+ Y/N? I'm really close to this guy so I'm thinking about picking up a pair of these just to have some ports to spare. I think I found them on the HCL but I didn't know if anyone had touched these personally.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 13, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

So while I'm on the subject of my lab: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/IBM-PRO-1000...8ddd6cab&_uhb=1 ESXi 5.5+ Y/N? I'm really close to this guy so I'm thinking about picking up a pair of these just to have some ports to spare. I think I found them on the HCL but I didn't know if anyone had touched these personally.

Those are pretty good and IIRC they are on the HCL for 5.5; they do get a tad warm though.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ha, didn't think about it that way but I see what you're saying.

Why not a good guide on downloading the iso from VMware, checking hash, slipstreaming drivers then installing?

Don't give them the fish, teach them to fish.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Does anyone have any anecdotal best-practices for doing Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) on VMware? We're running around 10 clusters with 2-3 nodes per cluster and some work perfectly yet others are a dogs breakfast. All the nodes are running Windows Server 2008 R2, clustered disks are presented directly to the VMs via iSCSI and the only clustered applications are MS SQL Server 2008 R2.

mattisacomputer
Jul 13, 2007

Philadelphia Sports: Classy and Sophisticated.

One of the sales guys came to be with an interesting idea today that I don't think is possible, but we'll see.

He he has a client that has a number of low/mid/high tier FC storage systems, some nonames, some 3par, etc. He wants to create a vSphere VSAN cluster to act as a front end for all of this storage. 60% of the hosts attached to this storage, about 6-8 different storage systems, all of different types, are ESXi of some sort, but the remaining are physical boxes, mostly oracle DB servers.

His plan is to somehow create LUNs on the vSphere VSAN that can be presented to the physical devices through the FC network. I had not heard anything about this with the developments of VSAN, so I'm skeptical, but I really only deal with our IBM V7000s so my storage experience isn't very widespread.

I had suggested some kind of storage visualization appliance, like the IBM SVC, but cost is a big factor so they're trying to do this on the cheap (big surprise.) Any ideas if there is any substance here?

EDIT Definitely not possible.

Virtual SAN supports only SATA, SAS HDD, and PCIe storage. You cannot use storage attached through USB, Fibre Channel, or iSCSI.

mattisacomputer fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 14, 2014

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I do remember seeing that on the roadmap. Maybe next release of vsan?

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Would it be possible to install a bare metal hypervisor on my PC and virtualize my only operating system (Windows 7)? The ability to take snapshots and do rollbacks seems useful but I'm not sure if I can do this without using a guest OS inside of Windows.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Moey posted:

Why not a good guide on downloading the iso from VMware, checking hash, slipstreaming drivers then installing?

Don't give them the fish, teach them to fish.

This would be very useful to me. I'm still working on making a thin client for my lab and I've learned quite a bit. I'd miss out on all that if there was a quick and easy download.

That said, if I wanted to implement this on an enterprise level, I'd probably want the quick and easy download.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Social Media posted:

Would it be possible to install a bare metal hypervisor on my PC and virtualize my only operating system (Windows 7)? The ability to take snapshots and do rollbacks seems useful but I'm not sure if I can do this without using a guest OS inside of Windows.

You would need to perform a Physical to virtual migration of your OS first. You'd need to look at hyper-v.

IIRC windows 8 has a pretty cool intergration with going virtual.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

You would need to perform a Physical to virtual migration of your OS first. You'd need to look at hyper-v.

IIRC windows 8 has a pretty cool intergration with going virtual.

That's correct Win 8 Pro includes Hyper-V.

Hyper-V itself has free Server editions:
2008 R2 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20196
2012 R2 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/evalcenter/dn205299.aspx

2012 however requires Win8/2012 because the management tools dont work on older versions of Windows.
Hyper-V Server is by default pretty much command line only so you have to install one of these for some basic gui loving:

2008 server https://coreconfig.codeplex.com/
2012 server http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2013/03/20/managing-free-hyper-v-server-2012-with-a-local-gui-console-tool.aspx

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Super dumbo question here. I'm following the 70-640 exercise for setting up a vm in VirtualBox so its consistent with the rest of the exercises later in the book. I'm doing this on my work laptop which is connected to the office network. When it tells me to assign a static ip of 10.0.11 I probably should pick something 192 instead? Or will my laptop perform some NAT wizardry and the network won't care?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Raymn posted:

Super dumbo question here. I'm following the 70-640 exercise for setting up a vm in VirtualBox so its consistent with the rest of the exercises later in the book. I'm doing this on my work laptop which is connected to the office network. When it tells me to assign a static ip of 10.0.11 I probably should pick something 192 instead? Or will my laptop perform some NAT wizardry and the network won't care?

What mode is the virtual desktop running in for network connectivity.

there is usually
NAT:internal in the host with a route out, often dhcp/dns as well
bridged: shared with physical network
internal only: no routing purely internal LAN

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

What mode is the virtual desktop running in for network connectivity.

there is usually
NAT:internal in the host with a route out, often dhcp/dns as well
bridged: shared with physical network
internal only: no routing purely internal LAN

VirtualBox has NAT, NAT Network, Bridged, Internal, Host Only, Generic Driver. It is currently set to NAT and I assume that mode would accomplish not passing the static IP on?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Raymn posted:

VirtualBox has NAT, NAT Network, Bridged, Internal, Host Only, Generic Driver. It is currently set to NAT and I assume that mode would accomplish not passing the static IP on?

yeah you'll need to go into virtual box's network editor and change the scope on the NAT network to the same scope as what the book is calling for

Example

domain1.contoso.com -> 10.0.11.5 mask 255.255.255.0 GW 10.0.11.1

Then you'd set the NAT/DHCP(if using) of virtual box's network editor to:

network: 10.0.11.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 GW 10.0.11.1

If you were using DHCP

you're scope would be

Start: 10.0.11.10
End: 10.0.11.250
Mask 255.255.255.0
DNS: use specified ones I imagine the book has you setting up DNS
Gateway: 10.0.11.1

The gateway's might be different take a screenshot and I can point out something if you need it.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 14, 2014

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

yeah you'll need to go into virtual box's network editor and change the scope on the NAT network to the same scope as what the book is calling for

Example

domain1.contoso.com -> 10.0.11.5 mask 255.255.255.0 GW 10.0.11.1

Then you'd set the NAT/DHCP(if using) of virtual box's network editor to:

network: 10.0.11.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 GW 10.0.11.1

It doesn't look like it lets me do that. I can create a new NAT Network but the only thing it lets me modify is the CIDR which it defaults to 10.0.2.0/24 which I can then set as my network for my vm.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Anything special to note when doing a vCenter upgrade where View is involved as well?

I took over a two jacked up vSphere/View environments a while back. One was 4.1 and one 5.0.
Got everything moved over to the 5.0 environment and then got View upgrade to 5.3.
Now looking to get vCenter upgraded to 5.5 so I can get my hosts updated as well.

I am throwing together a little test environment now to do a test run on the vCenter 5.0 to 5.5 jump, but not sure if I should build a little View lab in there as well (probably should...).

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Moey posted:

Anything special to note when doing a vCenter upgrade where View is involved as well?

I took over a two jacked up vSphere/View environments a while back. One was 4.1 and one 5.0.
Got everything moved over to the 5.0 environment and then got View upgrade to 5.3.
Now looking to get vCenter upgraded to 5.5 so I can get my hosts updated as well.

I am throwing together a little test environment now to do a test run on the vCenter 5.0 to 5.5 jump, but not sure if I should build a little View lab in there as well (probably should...).

If you're using View Composer it can be picky about the vCenters it talks to (check the interop matrix).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

ragzilla posted:

If you're using View Composer it can be picky about the vCenters it talks to (check the interop matrix).

Not using View Composer (our View environment is a joke, all persistent desktops currently). The View environment only has 2 connection servers and a security server (that currently isnt in use). I have played with the matrix and believe I am fine with compatibility.

Edit: Forgot about vShield Manager, need to get that guy updated as well.

Moey fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
Question for those who have taken the Stanly CC VMware 5.1 course: Is it worthwhile to actually watch the online lectures? From the first couple of them, it looks like the presenter is basically reading the notes from the text. I can read them myself a lot faster.