Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

xzzy posted:

People are a fan of whatever team is in their avatar, that's my rule and I'm sticking to it.

I don't like you or the Ducks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Here is literally what Babcock said less than a week ago.

Stuff like "I'm comfortable. I like it here a lot.", "It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, contract extension or one year at a time. I'll do it either way.", "I think you guys need to fill some air." when asked about the Leafs job, "I'm proud to be a Red Wing.", and "The reality is the grass isn't greener on the other side, it's just not. I know the people here and I like it here."

But yeah maybe he does wanna leave all that to coach a team of perpetual losers run by a moron GM in the biggest pressure cooker in the sport.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hand Knit posted:

Kypreos today had some interesting information on the Leafs and Wings, and he's normally reliable with this stuff.

Purging the amateur scouts, who have been quite good in the late rounds these last few years, and the assistant bench coaches for failing Carlyle/Nonis would be about a 15 on a 1-to-10 scale of Leafiness.

I think the Leafs have the most scouts in the league, so it's hard to figure out should be purged. Hell, the Leafs might not even know.

I think some of the European scouts are pretty well regarded. Since 2005, some combination of Bergman/Ladygin/whoever else it is have been responsible for Rask (first roundaaaaaah243%2435), Stralman (7th), Tlusty (1st), Kulemin (2nd), Holzer (4th), Stalberg (6th), Komarov (6th), Gunnarsson (7th), Granberg (4th), Nilsson (4th), Loov (7th), Herzog (5th) and Johnson (7th). Granted, we don't know how the last 5 guys are going to turn out, but Granberg's already an AHL regular, Loov was signed recently, Johnson had a great rookie season in Sweden, and Herzog will probably get a contract after playing a season in the Q and getting a brief tryout with the Marlies. Even getting that many late picks to sign contracts and come over is a reasonable success, let alone having a bunch of them turn into regular NHLers,

The Euro picks from that period that didn't work out are Johan Dahlberg (6th, never came over), Juraj Mikus (5th, okay AHLer), Mikhail Stefanovich (4th, bust), Jerome Flaake (never came over), Sondre Olden (3rd, couldn't hack it in juniors), Daniel Brodin (5th, bust) and... that's it. For some inexplicable reason, the Leafs had a good run of European picks in 2005 and 2006, then decided never to draft a European higher than the third round. I mean Tlusty wasn't that bad, then some guy traded him for Philippe Paradis. Otherwise it's 7 pretty decent NHLers on the list above, and a handful of possible NHL regulars, most of which are already playing in the AHL. On the other hand, there are 6 picks who busted or never came over. It seems likely that it will turn out to be over a 50% success rate turning mostly late picks European picks into NHLers. Surely that's better than what the North American scouts are managing, let alone the idiots responsible for trading up to draft Biggs.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Hand Knit posted:

Kypreos today had some interesting information on the Leafs and Wings, and he's normally reliable with this stuff.

Purging the amateur scouts, who have been quite good in the late rounds these last few years, and the assistant bench coaches for failing Carlyle/Nonis would be about a 15 on a 1-to-10 scale of Leafiness.

Randy Carlyle, spin the wheel of justice!

Trevor Bird
Apr 1, 2006

On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil! LET'S GO PRED-A-TORS!

VJeff posted:

Here is literally what Babcock said less than a week ago.

Stuff like "I'm comfortable. I like it here a lot.", "It doesn't matter to me one way or the other, contract extension or one year at a time. I'll do it either way.", "I think you guys need to fill some air." when asked about the Leafs job, "I'm proud to be a Red Wing.", and "The reality is the grass isn't greener on the other side, it's just not. I know the people here and I like it here."

But yeah maybe he does wanna leave all that to coach a team of perpetual losers run by a moron GM in the biggest pressure cooker in the sport.

sounds like he wants out. i'd be worried if i were you.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Surely Detroit will fire Babcock or allow him to skip across the border to a division rival for no reason.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously its just sports radio, but people on TSN were taking about it last week. Last year of his deal, maybe he wants a new challenge, the family reason to stay in Michigan is done.

Its just slow news day chatter, but eventually he'll move on.

vvv yeah I don't think he will either. sometimes you have that "lame duck coach" thing though. teams seem to want to extend GMs and coaches rather than have them run out their last season. if another team were willing to offer assets for Babcock, why not have him move a year early? (I don't think this happens)

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 7, 2014

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Jordan7hm posted:

Obviously its just sports radio, but people on TSN were taking about it last week. Last year of his deal, maybe he wants a new challenge, the family reason to stay in Michigan is done.

Its just slow news day chatter, but eventually he'll move on.

I'm in no way convinced that Babcock will finish his NHL career here (unless the UM job rumor is a real thing), but he is still under contract for a year. He's not leaving this summer.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Babcock to DC. Datsyuk to DC. Cup to DC.

(Just kidding Bruce Cassidy is coming back for another stint)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

grack posted:

I don't like you or the Ducks

Your avatar suggests otherwise, go send Perry some fan mail. Or are you on a first name basis now?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

xzzy posted:

Your avatar suggests otherwise, go send Perry some fan mail. Or are you on a first name basis now?

Watch it or you're getting a Perry-tar, bucko. In fact, I'll give you this one.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Perry is one weird looking dude. I don't know what it is, he looks like a cartoon of a real person, something from Ren & Stimpy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

xzzy posted:

This seems like a really good way for you to get a Backesatar.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

VJeff posted:

This seems like a really good way for you to get a Backesatar.

Go back to Red Wings avatars. :mad:

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Leafs should just offer crazy money to coaches. Have babcock be the first $20 million a year coach. See if he wants to live in Michigan still :getin:

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Good Canadian Boy posted:

Leafs should just offer crazy money to coaches. Have babcock be the first $20 million a year coach. See if he wants to live in Michigan still :getin:
Yeah but with the Ontario taxes and the Canadian dollar that's like only $13 million in Michigan dollars, or 1.1 million medium pepperonis.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hold your breath Flyers fans

quote:

The #Flyers will be holding an 11:30 press conference this morning to announce promotions within the organization.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Starting next season, every player who does a defense will win a case of Tastykakes.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

quote:

DNFlyers: #Flyers have called a press conference for 11:30am to promote Ron Hextall to GM and Paul Holmgren to president.

Juvi
Apr 8, 2003

I AM DOG.
Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers 4m
#Flyers have called a press conference for 11:30am to promote Ron Hextall to GM and Paul Holmgren to president.

:( The dream has died

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Didn't Holmgren say less than a week ago that he was definitely going to be the GM next year?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

YEEEEESSSSS

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Didn't Holmgren say less than a week ago that he was definitely going to be the GM next year?

Well he's the president now so he can still make that happen.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In a similar vein, the Canucks have been granted permission to speak with Boston's assistant GM Jim Benning. It's not inevitable it gets done, but I think you can officially say Linden has found his man.

Friedman/Hrudey are also speculating that Shawn Thornton will follow Benning to Vancouver :barf:

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
dancing-snoopy-in-a-flyers-jersey.gif

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

sedative posted:

dancing-snoopy-in-a-flyers-jersey.gif

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh it is occurring

dot gee aye eff

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

shyduck posted:

YEEEEESSSSS

I'm really happy for you, shyduck. Without a hint of snark or irony. Congrats.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
In a shocking move, the Flyers new GM will be evilwaldo, noted side thorn

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh god is this real life

I want to believe

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
itshappening . gif

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I'm happy they've decided to do it now, to give Hextall some time to come up with a team plan before the draft. I wonder what this means for the usual series of summer blockbuster trades/signings

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
will homer's zeroes still have the power to veto and make at least one terrible signing a year? i'd like to think so, id like to think of holmgreen as the current that sucks the flyers over the falls for eternity

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Oh man, I totally forgot last week's Snider quote, that Hextall is going to be GM, "but that doesn't mean tomorrow"

At this point I think the man is just a master troll, ruling his cable empire from under a bridge somewhere

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FAS group hug ITT :toot:

All y'all own.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Is there gonna be a link to the press conference. I wanna watch everyone's hopes and dreams die as Snider explains just how Homer earned his 10 year GM contract extension

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Vicas posted:

Is there gonna be a link to the press conference. I wanna watch everyone's hopes and dreams die as Snider explains just how Homer earned his 10 year GM contract extension

It'll be streamed here http://www.csnphilly.com/video_content_type/flyers-press-conference-57

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
The Sabres increased ticket prices, $1-$4 per game, depending on location. :laugh:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

deafmute posted:

The Sabres increased ticket prices, $1-$4 per game, depending on location. :laugh:

That's less than inflation, is it not?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Vicas posted:

We don't need a CULTURE change :colbert:

I am excited at the possibility for Hexy to GM but let's be serious here, is anything really going to change as long as Snider is still with the organization?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

ThinkTank posted:

That's less than inflation, is it not?

It's probably not.

e: Also I think the rate of inflation is a pretty terrible comparison to the price of any particular thing.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 7, 2014

• Locked thread