Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
DA2 was doomed from the start knowing that body hair was supposedly being squeezed for information on Hawke's current whereabouts in the hopes of calming some bigger problem. Dragon Age Inquisition is the failure of getting Hawke in time to murder everyone involved in the Templar and Circle revolts while finding some new dweeb to be the hero.

I really new some new direct information to try to see the potential light in this game again. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Dragon Age 2 is alright if you're roleplaying as somebody who knows they're in a subpar game. All snark, all the time, David Caruso it up.

It's too bad it comes nowhere near it's potential... which IS buried there under a huge pile of poo poo.

Don't pay more than a couple bucks you never care if you see again, though.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I want to add, that I really enjoyed the idea that I wasn't running all over the world and was staying in one city for the entire game. At the time I was playing it, it was refreshing to not be the only person who could save the world for once and was just a lady trying to earn some cash in the city. That said, I wish they did more with it. Make the city bigger, and show drastic changes over the course of a decade there. I'd still like to see something like that. Maybe a ME game set in the Citadel. It's big enough.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spikeguy posted:

I want to add, that I really enjoyed the idea that I wasn't running all over the world and was staying in one city for the entire game. At the time I was playing it, it was refreshing to not be the only person who could save the world for once and was just a lady trying to earn some cash in the city. That said, I wish they did more with it. Make the city bigger, and show drastic changes over the course of a decade there. I'd still like to see something like that. Maybe a ME game set in the Citadel. It's big enough.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264240/ - Consortium.
You should give that game a shot. You'd probably really enjoy it. It's not got quite the scope of what you'd described, but...

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

That is one of the dumbest worst games ever Drifter, with writing that makes DA2 look like a god drat masterpiece.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nah it's actually probably three times as good as DA2, so, mediocre to decent

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I dunno, it really tries to make itself seem smart. For all its failings, DA2 never felt like someone was going 'hahaha I am so clever look at how smart I am. People will look at this and go 'wow, this writer is a genius.'. That's the entirety of what Consortium felt like. Also everyone taaalked reeeeeeaaallly sloooww and had to say four paragraphs worth of dialogue. And most of it was skippable, except for four or five points where two NPCs are talking to each other and you're watching, that take over 8-9 minutes to clear up and give you control.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Lotish posted:

Hm. From the sounds of it, what with a supposedly playable prologue and the whole process of setting up the Inquisition itself sounding like it would take more than a cutscene to play out, I'm curious what they're going to call you before you settle into the groove of being called the Inquisitor? Are people just going to call you "Qunari" if you picked that race or are they going to get more creative and call you something like "Prongs?"

This "emerge from the Fade intact and powerful and possibly destined for godhood" makes playing a qunari sound a lot better. I can't imagine how many devoted Andrastans would flip their poo poo if a qunari turned out to be the next divine. The Qunari themselves may grunt more emotively than usual, too.

I imagine they'll call you by the last names given for the PC.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BenRGamer posted:

I imagine they'll call you by the last names given for the PC.

You'd think that, but I cannot recall ever being called Brasca or Aeducan or Cousland or what have you outside the origin in DAO

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

They'll just refer to you with generic pronouns like in FFX and that'll be the end of it. At some point they'll probably forget to write a line taking into account playing a woman, so there'll be a few "He"'s that slip in there.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I eagerly await the day when voice technology advances to the point where characters will refer to me by my true name "sniperdude420"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PantsBandit posted:

I eagerly await the day when voice technology advances to the point where characters will refer to me by my true name "sniperdude420"

Black and white had a recorded namebank that would try and match your windows name to one of the prerecorded names and then it would whisper it at random times. It was p cool.

What I'm saying is I feel like P. Molynoeaaouux peaked 13 years ago.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Alouicious posted:

You'd think that, but I cannot recall ever being called Brasca or Aeducan or Cousland or what have you outside the origin in DAO
Arl Howe definitely makes reference to your last name when you kill him as a Human Noble. Pretty sure there's at least one conversation for each origin that uses the last name, but I can't think of others right now.

(Oh Tim Curry :swoon:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62AFkwbbUdU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Alouicious posted:

But you were called Hawke in DA2. I'm pretty sure they will follow the recent examples in the ME and DA franchise.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Torrannor posted:

But you were called Hawke in DA2. I'm pretty sure they will follow the recent examples in the ME and DA franchise.

They've already confirmed that you'll have set last names for every race and all that. We're just discussing how often it'll come up in the game.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Crappy Jack posted:

They've already confirmed that you'll have set last names for every race and all that. We're just discussing how often it'll come up in the game.

Referred to by last name by party members and anyone reasonably close to the PC and called "Inquisitor" by strangers I'd guess.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Walrus Pete posted:

Referred to by last name by party members and anyone reasonably close to the PC and called "Inquisitor" by strangers I'd guess.

And "Inquisitor" "Last Name" when people are being formal.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It's going to be almost always 'Inquisitor'.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dan Didio posted:

It's going to be almost always 'Inquisitor'.

Mostly so they don't have to record a line a dozen times or try to cut in a name halfway through a line already recorded, which would pretty hard to make sound good.

"Inquistor...Brasca, is there something I can help you with?"

"Careful how you speak, churl! You are in the presence of Inquisitor...Vashoth!"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

They did promise lots of race-specific dialogue, with less background specific dialogue. So hopefully there will be some good variation.

I'm just hoping for lots of racist dialogue options if you play as a non-human.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lotish posted:

Mostly so they don't have to record a line a dozen times or try to cut in a name halfway through a line already recorded, which would pretty hard to make sound good.

"Careful how you speak, churl! You are in the presence of Inquisitor...Vashoth!"

Nobody can actually remember your last name and has to pause for a few seconds to get it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Nobody can actually remember your last name and has to pause for a few seconds to get it.

Even better, nobody can remember it, so your character has to remind them every single time in the exact same delivery so they just record one voice saying it one time.

"That's absolutely right, Inquisitor....uh....wait, wait"

"Cousland."

"Of course. We'll get right on it, Inquisitor...poo poo...sorry, one more time?"

"Cousland."

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

What, you mean people didn't like the idea of your love~you~forever~!waifu still calling you Hawke in dialogue?

Yeah, that's a legitimate thing that made me unhappy in DA2 - having Isabella/Merill/Fenris/DLC PRiest Guy go from calling you darling/dear to calling you HAWKE like you're barely associated again as soon as a conversation ends is horrible.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

KittyEmpress posted:

What, you mean people didn't like the idea of your love~you~forever~!waifu still calling you Hawke in dialogue?

Yeah, that's a legitimate thing that made me unhappy in DA2 - having Isabella/Merill/Fenris/DLC PRiest Guy go from calling you darling/dear to calling you HAWKE like you're barely associated again as soon as a conversation ends is horrible.

Mass Effect has this too, what with you getting your game on with up to three lucky squaddies across the franchise, but they all call you Shepard.

And this is why your name is always "Douchebag" no matter what you enter in Stick of Truth.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Lotish posted:

Mass Effect has this too, what with you getting your game on with up to three lucky squaddies across the franchise, but they all call you Shepard.

And this is why your name is always "Douchebag" no matter what you enter in Stick of Truth.

It kind of works with Garrus though. I feel like their relationship would be extremely formal.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

It kind of works with Garrus though. I feel like their relationship would be extremely formal.

ME is also just a military oriented game. Last names are pretty normal in that context. If you're friends or dating somebody that you happen to interact with professionally, they'll probably still do the last name thing just cause it's kind of a professional standard. Now, in private settings it doesn't make sense, but on missions or with the rest of the crew, it's not that out of character.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Shepard is Shepard.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Lotish posted:

Man that was the best. I love how they worked around the issue by having Cartman just being Cartman.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Furism posted:

Man that was the best. I love how they worked around the issue by having Cartman just being Cartman.

And then everyone else just rolls with it because Butters is a pushover playing follow the leader, Kenny is impossible to understand, and by the time you meet everyone else they've heard you called Douchebag so much they don't know you by anything else and don't care!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Drifter posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/264240/ - Consortium.
You should give that game a shot. You'd probably really enjoy it. It's not got quite the scope of what you'd described, but...

I love that game. I bought it last Christmas.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

PantsBandit posted:

It's not. And regardless, it doesn't really work when Shepard refers to any potential lover by their first name.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

It's not. And regardless, it doesn't really work when Shepard refers to any potential lover by their first name.

You're wrong on both accounts. A huge aspect of their relationship is the fact that Garrus sees Shepard as an authority figure, even when they're romantically involved. This also explains why Garrus would refer to Shepard as such, because Shepard has always been his superior.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Maybe in ME2, but in ME3, every other line about the relationship is something like "Well, here's what your boyfriend thinks..."

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Is that horse holding a sword in it's mouth???

Because that's worth the pre-order, right there.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

wanna ride that reindeer

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It looks more like someone jammed a sword through the horse's lower jaw and out it's forehead and called it a unicorn. That looks like the hilt jutting out the bottom of the jaw.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
That unicorn looks like somebody took a normal horse and impaled it clean through the head with a sword. Also, the throne looks like something out of Crocodile Dundee.

Edit: Beaten on unicorn impalement, but would add that the weapons remind of of Dragon's Dogma which isn't a bad thing at all.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Lotish posted:

Are voice actors paid by the line or something? If they already got them in the booth how much extra time and work could it be to have them do additional takes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That is definitely an horse with a sword through its jaw, which is actually pretty :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maylo
Nov 5, 2010
Aw I wanted a real unicorn so I could be the ~*prettiest princess qunari*~

• Locked thread