Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Good Citizen posted:

Ted Cruz has released his report on 76 lawless actions by Obama, and yeah, they're as bullshit as you'd imagine

http://www.scribd.com/doc/222704929/Ted-Cruz-Legal-Limit-Report-4

Ahahahaha its so nice to learn from Ted Cruz that the Bush administration was so awful that they started investigations into the 2 black guys standing in front of polling place for the crime of being black near a polling place.

e: here's the video for those that forgot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGbKHyGuHU

"Dude, got my back?" :laffo:

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ShutteredIn posted:

Citing Breitbart, the Daily Mail, and The Right Scoop :lol:

As base rabble rousing bullshit, that's exactly what he should cite

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

:negative:

It's whiskey or even bourbon with coke. Scotch should be enjoyed with a splash of water at the most unless it's garbage scotch... which then begs the question why the gently caress aren't you drinking decent scotch.

Scotch is a kind of Whiskey :haw:

But to not be a pedantic rear end, it's something my roommate likes that I've tried and it wasn't terrible. Some days you have Scotch on hand and don't want something with a bite. I have never had any kind of hard liquor that didn't have at least some bite

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Good Citizen posted:

Ted Cruz has released his report on 76 lawless actions by Obama, and yeah, they're as bullshit as you'd imagine

http://www.scribd.com/doc/222704929/Ted-Cruz-Legal-Limit-Report-4

quote:

22. Gave supervised release to a convicted criminal (an alien here illegally) who later killed a nun in a DUI.79

Guess which citation is missing.

Did you guess 79? You're right!

E: I'm an idiot and it was on the next page. I'm just not used to footnotes :\

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 7, 2014

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Munkeymon posted:

It just got pushed to the next page
http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2013/02/illegal-alien-who-killed-nun-was-on-obamas-supervised-release/

e:

quote:

A mainstream newspaper well known for its pro Obama reporting called the move a “highly unusual effort to save money.” Then, as if to defend the administration, the story goes on to say that the government hasn’t dropped the deportation cases against the immigrants, but rather the detainees have been freed on supervised release while their cases continue in court.

lol
(they're referring to the NY times)

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 7, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Magres posted:

Scotch is a kind of Whiskey :ssh:

I think you'll find that Scotch is actually a kind of whisky.

Magres posted:

But to not be a pedantic rear end [...]

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

assfro posted:

Most of those things are just executive orders. Whatever happened to the party of "if the president does it, that means its not illegal"?

Barack "The Islamic Shock" HUSSEIN Obama.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Killed four Americans overseas in counterterrorism operations without judicial process

Ted Cruz <3 Anwar al-Awlaki

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

assfro posted:

Most of those things are just executive orders. Whatever happened to the party of "if the president does it, that means its not illegal"?
Yeah, apparently things within the purview of the executive branch are abuses of power.

I like that they mention the Gibson guitar raids without mentioning that Gibson admitted wrongdoing and violating the Taney Act. Also, here's the goofiest thing to come from the Gibson raids: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Government-Series-II-Les-Paul.aspx

Shows you how well researched the whole thing is.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

moller posted:

I think you'll find that Scotch is actually a kind of whisky.

:thurman:

I just got schooled, haha

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

McDowell posted:

Apparently Ted has a problem with killing terrorists :confused:

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

Apparently Ted has a problem with killing terrorists :confused:

If al-Awlaki had been ten years older, he could have joined the Militia movement and been one of Ted's constituents.

edit: I meant older the whole time, shut up.

assfro
Oct 15, 2005

BUG JUG posted:

Barack "The Islamic Shock" HUSSEIN Obama.

I know, it would just be nice to have some internal consistency.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

For Wa (and maybe PDX) Goons, check out Silver City Brewery's Fat Scotch Ale. It's delicious and strong enough to ease the pain of following politics after a single bottle.

I'm curious if there are analogues for the RW media bubble in other countries, or is Ailes' special brew a mostly American phenomenon? I think it's hard to fully grasp the current American political climate without understanding the role of RW media in shaping the narratives that tend to drive our political process.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

McDowell posted:

Wait so you're saying killing a 16 year old with a missile while he ate a meal at a public restaurant with his teenage cousin was ok?

I mean yeah Cruz is a shitlord but he's pretty right on about this at least.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Why do you add the with a missile part that's what I want to know.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Firing a missile at a public restaurant does seem pretty lovely. Definitely not pro-business.

assfro
Oct 15, 2005

Evil Sagan posted:

Firing a missile at a public restaurant does seem pretty lovely. Definitely not pro-business.

Think of all the law enforcement and construction jobs it will create.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Install Windows posted:

Why do you add the with a missile part that's what I want to know.

Because missiles, especially the Hellfire AGM 114 Anti-Tank variety, are not exactly the sort of weapon known to minimize collateral (innocent) casualties.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 7, 2014

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Munkeymon posted:

E: I'm an idiot and it was on the next page. I'm just not used to footnotes :\

And Scooter Libby was pardoned after leaking the name of an undercover CIA operative. I'm sure we can guess which was the greater crime.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unzip and Attack posted:

Because missiles, especially the Hellfire AGM 114 Anti-Tank variety, are not exactly the sort of weapon known to minimize collateral (innocent) casualties.

The thing is that everyone involved was innocent to begin with.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

RadicalWall posted:

I'm not saying that republicans aren't usually in the wrong or ignorant of the issues, as I have always voted democrat, but at the end of the day you can't ignore them and you can't disenfranchise roughly half the country. Like it or not there are a lot of them and in a democracy that's all that counts.
I don't want to disenfranchise people, I'm just despairing that there are people who really honestly think poo poo is busted (and aren't brainwashed rightwingers) and are still willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the poo poo-eaters who shut down the government without even figuring out what their demands would be. That's the kind of thing both parties do, after all.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Unzip and Attack posted:

Wait so you're saying killing a 16 year old with a missile while he ate a meal at a public restaurant with his teenage cousin was ok?

Wrong guy. You are thinking of his son Abdulrahman al-Awlaki

RevKrule posted:

And Scooter Libby was pardoned after leaking the name of an undercover CIA operative. I'm sure we can guess which was the greater crime.

Libby was not pardoned. Cheney was quite upset about that.

Install Windows posted:

The thing is that everyone involved was innocent to begin with.
Neither of them were targeted by pattern recognition.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Unzip and Attack posted:

He wouldn't care if the president was a Republican. Of course neither party actually rejects the authority to kill citizens overseas; which is why the legal implications of the al-Awlaki strike were not discussed in mass media until January 2013, when it wouldn't be an election issue.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

No I'm referencing Abdulrachman. He was one of the four mentioned by Cruz.

I'm not saying killing an innocent person is ok, but killing an innocent person with a weapon that will surely kill additional innocent people is even worse.

McDowell posted:

He wouldn't care if the president was a Republican.

You are absolutely right about that. I don't disagree, but even when someone is right for lovely reasons they're still right.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Fried Chicken posted:

Libby was not pardoned. Cheney was quite upset about that.

His sentence was commuted though, wasn't it?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

assfro posted:

That guy had to resign.

assfro
Oct 15, 2005

richardfun posted:

His sentence was commuted though, wasn't it?

The jail time was, he still had to do community service I think.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

That guy had to resign.

True enough, though it took something like three special prosecutors to bring him to that point (and he received a full pardon from his successor). My point though was that apparently, according to Cruz, what was good for the goose is no good for the gander, and it seems silly for Cruz to get all indignant about the Obama administration running something from Nixon's playbook.

assfro fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 7, 2014

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A Winner is Jew posted:

I know it's cliche, but I for real love whiskey sours and it's my go to drink when it's over 70 out and scotch is what I drink the rest of the time.

Over 70? Where the gently caress do you live that that's warm? Siberia?

(I'm a Texan who went to school in Arizona and partly works in Florida. :negative: )

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

gently caress all y'all hoity toity poo poo. I'm drinking Labatt Blue because its on sale and has a rebate.

If I get a hankering for liquor I've got bottles and bottles of it leftover from my Mom's house that I brought home after cleaning her house after she died from complications related to the fact that she was unemployed and couldn't afford the medicine she needed

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Bunleigh posted:

I don't want to disenfranchise people, I'm just despairing that there are people who really honestly think poo poo is busted (and aren't brainwashed rightwingers) and are still willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the poo poo-eaters who shut down the government without even figuring out what their demands would be. That's the kind of thing both parties do, after all.

The problem is that we are trained from birth to recognize political radicals as dangerous, crazy, and often foolish or naive. We are taught that compromise is pretty much the essence of politics. This is probably especially true for people who lean left, who tend to value teamwork and empathy more than hierarchy. People are therefore willing to grasp at straws to avoid recognizing that there is not a single redeemable thing about the Republican Party. The GOP, for their part, has found a breaking strategy for the whole political system: insulate your base from anything but your messaging until even fringe views seem mainstream to them, at which point they view your opponents as dangerous radicals who can't be compromised with.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Mornacale posted:

The problem is that we are trained from birth to recognize political radicals as dangerous, crazy, and often foolish or naive. We are taught that compromise is pretty much the essence of politics. This is probably especially true for people who lean left, who tend to value teamwork and empathy more than hierarchy. People are therefore willing to grasp at straws to avoid recognizing that there is not a single redeemable thing about the Republican Party. The GOP, for their part, has found a breaking strategy for the whole political system: insulate your base from anything but your messaging until even fringe views seem mainstream to them, at which point they view your opponents as dangerous radicals who can't be compromised with.

Yep. When "Hey, how about we do some things like we did 30 years ago - tax the rich, regulate banks, fund public education, etc. - that worked for the majority of people." is seen as crazy and leftist - despite actually being the status quo once upon a time and working for us - you are in some deep poo poo.

A lot of the time it boils down to self esteem - especially with pundits and Young Republicans and "wonks" and other retards - if they live in a bubble, where they control the facts and scope of debate, then they get to feel smart without actually having to be smart or informed or worth anything.

Dystram fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 7, 2014

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I also think we have this idea that everyone's opinion is equally worthy of consideration. Which is great in some cases, but when someone wants to institute a policy whose demonstrable effect is lots of poor people dying, I'm not sure why we shouldn't reject that out of hand.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

I also think we have this idea that everyone's opinion is equally worthy of consideration. Which is great in some cases, but when someone wants to institute a policy whose demonstrable effect is lots of poor people dying, I'm not sure why we shouldn't reject that out of hand.

Most are also hard-pressed to admit that some are just stupid and/or hateful. Writing people off is hard for the left to do; many times it's their inherent weakness, at least with what passes for the left in the US.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

assfro posted:

True enough, though it took something like three special prosecutors to bring him to that point (and he received a full pardon from his successor).

Ugh, way to go, Ford. It is kind of an oversight that if you get impeached the guy who replaces you has the ability to totally wipe the slate clean, a power that he alone in the entire country wields. On average, this guy is probably your friend, or at least a respected colleague (although occasionally VP has been filled with convenient do-nothings and on at least one occasion, a mortal enemy).

It is interesting that the Aaron Sorkin said the difference between our world and that of the fictional 'The West Wing' is that Nixon was actually, and successfully, I believe, prosecuted for his crimes. What a shining moment for democracy that would have been, and there would have been no better end to the Nixon administration. Of course, Nixon never served a day in prison or endured injury in any other way for what he had done, and here we are!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/205431-gowdy-says-elections-have-consequences-for-benghazi-panel

quote:

Asked about that possibility Wednesday on MSNBC's "Morning Joe," Gowdy said the length of his work would depend on the administration’s level of cooperation.

“It would be shame on us if we intentionally dragged this out for political expediency,” said Gowdy, the special committee's chairman. “On the other hand, if an administration is slow-walking document production, I can’t end a trial simply because the defense won’t cooperate.”

In case there was any doubt that they are at least blowing the impeachment dogwhistle, if not going to go for it outright. Referring to it as a "trial" rather than "6th committee on this topic" is a pretty dead giveaway

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Yeah, apparently things within the purview of the executive branch are abuses of power.

I like that they mention the Gibson guitar raids without mentioning that Gibson admitted wrongdoing and violating the Taney Act. Also, here's the goofiest thing to come from the Gibson raids: http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Government-Series-II-Les-Paul.aspx

Shows you how well researched the whole thing is.

jesus christ. Gibson has been a bunch of bullshit since forever (although this LP's 1100 price tag is considerably less than the 2000 you'll need to lay down to get a proper Gibson branded Les Paul normally), but this is such a dorky marketing grab even for them. Then again, the only people that play guitar + still respect the Gibson name as much as their prices ask you too are probably blooz dad republican freeper types, so makes sense!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SeraphSlaughter posted:

jesus christ. Gibson has been a bunch of bullshit since forever (although this LP's 1100 price tag is considerably less than the 2000 you'll need to lay down to get a proper Gibson branded Les Paul normally), but this is such a dorky marketing grab even for them. Then again, the only people that play guitar + still respect the Gibson name as much as their prices ask you too are probably blooz dad republican freeper types, so makes sense!

Not to mention their quality took a complete nosedive after moving from Kalamazoo to Nashville to avoid paying union labor. But they make a killing off their name from idiots going through their midlife crisis.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

That bums me out to hear about Gibson and their current issues.

comes along bort posted:

But they make a killing off their name from idiots going through their midlife crisis.

Sounds like the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. They'd move out of Wisconsin in a heartbeat to get away from the unions if there wasn't a pretty good chance that even their hardest core of fans would turn their backs on the company for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Fried Chicken posted:

Ukraine: The Crimeans voted and have rejoined Russian. Russia under heavy economic sanctions, mainly targeting Putin and his closest fellows. Their stock market looks like it got hit with a baseball bat (RTSI is the Russian central bank, MICEX is the Russian equities market). Russia was bounced out of the G8 G7. International Finance majors are calling it the most hawkish move against Russia since Reagan and the Saudi's dropped the oil market, if not worse. Republicans are calling it weak and cowardly, because clearly we need to go to war. Bill Kristol is of the idea we should send $15 bln in aid to the Tartars to resist Russia. Setting aside the actual network of international finance means it would go straight to Russia and that we could do better things with that here in the US (bail out Detroit?), I for one question the wisdom of funding and arming Muslim militants in response to Russian border expansion. It does not have the greatest track record in the world. Currently it looks like Putin is pushing his plan of “agitators who are totally not special forces whip of a frenzy, kick off a conflict with the fascists, let the bodies stack up, then roll in when there is a call for assistance”. 38 people died in Odessa after a brawl between pro Russian Ukranians and Ukranian fascists led to the pro Russians being sealed in a building by the fascists, who then set the building on fire. The Ukranian government is flailing, its military is falling apart, so it can’t keep a handle on domestic extremists much less counteract the Russian actions. According to the pundits, somehow, an issue that has been going on since before there was an America (is Ukraine part of Russia?) is Obama’s fault because he won’t “lead”

Just FYI for the OP but based on the videos I've seen/Ukraine thread there's a lot of argument over the context of that awful thing. The people who may (or may not, as both sides stockpiled molotovs and were using them) were fired upon from the roof of the building in question and were not fascists. They were dismantling a pro-Russian encampment when shots started ringing out, people flipped out and rushed the building the shots came from, threw some molotovs. They also helped people get out of the building when it caught fire and the police stood by doing nothing even when pro-Russians used them as cover while they shot at pro-Ukrainian protesters. It's kind of a clusterfuck so it might be worth leaving out lest we imply the pro-Ukrainian/Euromaidan side is full of nazis.

As I sip my own form of political malaise medicine (Citadelle French gin and tonic), here's some news for Republican rebuilding: reign in the debates and punish those who hold non GOP-controlled debates:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._to_assert.html

This is effective, and sadly it means we won't see Sky-Admiral Bachmann in GOP Primarys 2016: Beyond Thunderdome, unless of course they never intended to get delegates to begin with and just were looking for book deals....

• Locked thread