Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The molecular process is known as z3nmosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Ooh yeah, that's got a bad case of it. Maybe my parents exposed me to the Ducati Indiana at a young age and I was forever ruined.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Z3n posted:

Oh, and brakes. Cant describe how good true one finger brakes are.

This. I've only owned modern bikes but the difference between even the Aprilia's pretty-good-for-2004 set and the Triumph's radial MC / radial calipers + latest ABS is just shocking.

This weekend I finally got off my rear end and installed the Futura's new R/R, and today I got it out of storage and tested it. 14.0 VDC at idle, 14.0 at part throttle, 14.0 near redline, it creeps up to 14.1 if you let off the throttle hard but that's it. :toot:

Then it took me like a loving hour to get the left fairings back on it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sagebrush posted:

Please park a Harley next to a Ducati for science.

Is this how Diavels are made?

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
So I washed my bike, cleaned it up, polished it, and then got in the car with my wife to go see friends. Once we got there it started raining and I remembered how I failed to put the cover back on the bike. After all it's May and it never rains in May in Israel ...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Rode the Honda into work today! Still a bit of a POS, but it's a runner. And a bit of a leaker, so no change there.

Time to give 'er a good wash & polish and put the want ads up.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

adary posted:

So I washed my bike, cleaned it up, polished it, and then got in the car with my wife to go see friends. Once we got there it started raining and I remembered how I failed to put the cover back on the bike. After all it's May and it never rains in May in Israel ...
Did you forget that washing your vehicle is a surefire way to make it start raining?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I bought a thing!

Fighting at the moment to get insurance on it so I can ride it home from my brothers place and get more pictures of it / do a proper inventory on the thing.

I really really want to keep the flames but the faux tank and side covers are swiss cheese (not to mention the chrome trim which is falling off everywhere)- so I'm thinking some vinyl off ebay is in order.

...Then I'll put some flames on the vinyl.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What an extraordinary colour scheme. Nice. The mechanical bits look really tidy.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'd get the stock badges and put them on there - that color scheme is amazing. One of my dream bikes (I dream small, I guess).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

McTinkerson posted:

I bought a thing!

Fighting at the moment to get insurance on it so I can ride it home from my brothers place and get more pictures of it / do a proper inventory on the thing.

I really really want to keep the flames but the faux tank and side covers are swiss cheese (not to mention the chrome trim which is falling off everywhere)- so I'm thinking some vinyl off ebay is in order.

Looks great, if you want to compare different types of vinyl to see what looks best on the bike, metrorestyling.com sells 3*5" samples of all their stuff for $.99 per sample. I just got a dozen samples from them earlier this week to pick one out for the '78 wing I'm supposed to pick up tomorrow. What year is yours?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

KARMA! posted:

Is this how Diavels are made?
I'd ride the gently caress out of a Diavel.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Installed the Galfer lines and K&N yesterday. Braking is definitely better (rear was getting squishy on me). Maybe it's mental, but the engine feels like it's running so much smoother with the new air filter. The old one was pretty drat dirty.

I'd ride a Diavel if it was part of a demo day or something. Doesn't really fit with my current riding style and needs.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
With the Diavel, I am pretty sure "needs" never enter the picture.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So last week I noticed a curious little puddle of oil beneath my BMW 1200RS engine area, turns out an oil cooler line was touching the engine near the valve cover which got hot enough to burn a small hole in it and oil would come out as the bike was running...

Undid a banjo bolt on the bottom of the engine connected to the oil line and shifted the oil line slightly out of the way so it was no longer touching the engine and patched it up the little hole with some gasket sealant, and poof leak is gone.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's almost as creative as the blue RTV wiring fix my Uly's previous owner fuckered up.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm all for ghetto fixes but jesus man, replace that line before you regret it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Welp, I've bought a thing:

First order of business was the choke cable was completely seized up, sprayed some penetrating oil down past the (rotted out) rubber seal and managed to get it unstuck enough to get the bike started under it's own power. Good news is the electricals look good, solid 13v even when (barely) idling at 1k rpm, shoots right up to 14v and holds steady once the bike warms up enough to smooth out the idle. The idle is rough and it dies is you give it any throttle, so combined with the hard starting, I'm guessing the carbs are packed with varnish and need sorting out. First order of business is going to be replacing the choke cable with a new one, and getting a carb rebuild kit from Randakk's and cleaning and syncing the motherfuckers, then I get to go through the shitshow the POs made of the wiring and replace it all with new watertight connectors and proper length wires.

for sale
Nov 25, 2007
I AM A SHOPLIFTER

:madmax:

$30 topbox for errands, put together in maybe a half an hour with no drilling into the bike itself. Got the bike lock idea from an advrider post. I needed it to be easily removable because I ride two up a lot with the girlfriend and lockable because I live in LA. I can't even hear it shake when i'm going 65, so i'd call it a success. A broke college guy success.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Those seats look madddd comfy. What are the gauges on the tank?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm all for ghetto fixes but jesus man, replace that line before you regret it.

This. That won't hold, brother.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

M42 posted:

Those seats look madddd comfy. What are the gauges on the tank?

Temp, Fuel, and Voltage. Seat's getting binned in favour of the stock seat though, just need to reupholster it.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

HotCanadianChick posted:

Welp, I've bought a thing:

Goldwings are the best dad bike, congrats!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

McTinkerson posted:

I bought a thing!

Looks comfy as hell

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I really hate the look of k/q seats but I have to admit that looks like a supremely comfortable way to eat up several hundred miles at a go. Is an iron butt rally in your future?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

I really hate the look of k/q seats but I have to admit that looks like a supremely comfortable way to eat up several hundred miles at a go. Is an iron butt rally in your future?

The one on mine is pretty cushy, but it just looks so terrible I can't leave it on. A reupholstered stock seat will do for me for now, but eventually I'd like a nice Corbin or similar.

Bonus: took a video of it running earlier, but haven't had time to upload it until now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex0u5ZEFhFk

Runs and idles like poo poo until it gets warm, and the idle wanders all over the place; around the 2:30-3:00 mark when the idle goes up and then down, I wasn't touching the throttle, it was just jumping around between ~1500 rpm and ~2500 rpm on it's own. Smooths out a lot more as it warms up, but oooooh yeah, I bet the insides of those carbs are filthy. Also gotta verify that the ignition system is all in order, upgrading to a transistor ignition is one of my big priorities (because I don't have a dwell meter and I'm not going to buy one to deal with points ignition when I can buy a brand new electronic ignition box for not too much coin).

Also, digging around in the box of stuff that came with the bike:

Original 1978 owner's manual and toolkit, yay!

KARMA! posted:

Goldwings are the best dad bike, congrats!

Thanks!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I think it was GnarlieCharlie who had an Oldwing that would idle wander / surge and I'm not sure he ever found whatever air leak was causing it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
loving hell those back sprocket bolts was a pain to remove.

Couldn't just use a impact driver, since the bolts just spinned. Had to put it on a vice grip and use a huge breaker bar on the 14mm nuts while using another breaker bar on the hex bolts to keep them from spinning.

New back sprocket is on now though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tweaked the throttle deadzone, shifter angle and clutch tension a bit. Now the bike fits llllliiiiike aaaaaa glooooooooove.

However I noticed that my brake lights aren't coming on for some reason (taillights work though). Neither of the bulbs lights up with either the front or rear levers, though, so it seems like it's probably just a disconnected wire or blown fuse or something. Little things.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Finished dialing in the carbs on the FZR. Also put the 80's-tastic fairing back on the GS. I like the way it looks with the round headlight but my commute is 65 miles of either splitting through stopped traffic or doing 85mph up and down the very windy coast. Form is going to follow function this time.

Now I only have to install new clutch springs and fix my headlight high/low switch so my lights will always work and the FZR may be finished. Maybe. I was planning on having this thing done 6 weeks ago and having a track day under it's belt already. This has been quite the project.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Tweaked the throttle deadzone, shifter angle and clutch tension a bit. Now the bike fits llllliiiiike aaaaaa glooooooooove.

However I noticed that my brake lights aren't coming on for some reason (taillights work though). Neither of the bulbs lights up with either the front or rear levers, though, so it seems like it's probably just a disconnected wire or blown fuse or something. Little things.

This reminds me of the time I thought my bulbs/fuse were blown on my first 919, and it turned out I had somehow tweaked the foot brake switch unintentionally, making it put the brake lights on permanently. Eventually the little bulb housings themselves melted and stopped the bulbs from making contact.

That was when I got to learn about LED taillights!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

My bet is on dual filament bulbs with the bright filament burnt out.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
New grips.

My old ones were kind of ratty, and spun freely after getting rained on last night.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I figured I'd cobble some pictures together in loosely chronological order of my crash and then the fixes:
http://imgur.com/a/BfNis

Special thanks to:
CA (for telling me to kill myself and also offering encouragement/advice)
Baller Witness Bro (for some :krad: Zeta clutch and brake levers on the cheap)

I've got some TT case guards coming in next week too and then I'll be ready to start practicing in earnest.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I put on some new brake/clutch levers yesterday. I went with some adjustable shorties, and I'm really digging the clutch action a lot more, now.

This probably sounds like easy peasy stuff to a lot of you, but I've never done more than change a tire on a car for the most part, so putting things on and replacing them is really fun.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Lynza posted:

I put on some new brake/clutch levers yesterday. I went with some adjustable shorties, and I'm really digging the clutch action a lot more, now.

This probably sounds like easy peasy stuff to a lot of you, but I've never done more than change a tire on a car for the most part, so putting things on and replacing them is really fun.

Adjustable levers are a huge advantage to people who have non-standard hand sizes.

I changed some tires yesterday, and rode bikes today. 'twas good.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Started in on cleaning up the oldwing, tried out the aluminium foil trick to clean up the rust on the chrome gauge surrounds, actually worked impressively well:

Before:

After:

Won't be a permanent fix, probably either spray them matte black or wrap them with chrome or patterned wrap, but for now they look a lot better.

Also removed the seized up choke cable and tried starting it with the choke linkage held open with my finger and it fired right up first try on a completely cold engine... beginning to think I won't have to tear the carbs apart just yet, it was idling smooth and easy as long as I held the choke open, not nearly as bad as it was before when I was trying to get it going with no choke.

Also removed the crappy clubman bars the PO had put on there and discovered some fun surprises, first the clutch switch is frayed off and no longer connected, second I found this:

Anyone see what's wrong in that pic?
The push cable from the throttle is just zip tied to the bar, not actually attached to the throttle assembly. Only the pull cable was actually hooked up. There were also at least a dozen zip ties all over that poo poo, I cut them all off and will be replacing them with proper cable stays.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Since when do you need to throttle off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Quick question probably for a different thread but ~whatevers~ : I am going to need to take my battery out of my bike to stick it on a tender in my apartment. Anybody have a recommendation for a good quick-disconnect system? Getting a Harley battery out and in conveniently would be impossible without one.